Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Air Skwirl posted:

He was only in a couple episodes, but iirc Doom was pretty good in Avengers: EMH.

That show just ruled in general. Should have been the Marvel JLU and the foundation of a whole MAU but oh well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Azubah posted:

I'd give disney a stupid amount of money to bring back all the 90s shows and have them all connect like they did before.

I still wanna see MJ get rescued.

For real.

Hell, that new animated spider-man with Polygon Pictures doesn't seem to be going that fast, and last i heard the new tom holland trilogy is still stalled. Just do a mini season to wrap up 90s Spider-man.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

NikkolasKing posted:

He is. Pretty much every character is great in Evo, though.

yeah

yeah they were...

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

*doki* *doki*

Vandar posted:

Spidey TAS is where younger me LEARNED about most of the characters in Marvel. It was pretty fuckin' awesome stuff.

The Daredevil episodes was hype.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

80s Marvel cartoons also had a couple crossovers, so there could be just a bit more of Australian Wolverine.

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

In some ways Spider-Man TAS was a lot more ambitious than X-Men TAS with its crossovers and whatnot. Which is weird since it always felt like it had less of a budget (the animation quality in X-Men, much like its writing, was uneven but generally at least on par for the time, and sometimes (and, no, not just Rogue's butt) great for the time) and definitely had more of a bat taken to it by the censors.

90s Spiderman definitely did much more complex plots, which necessitated Peter Parker constantly monologuing at length to keep things going. I kinda felt that he was always talking. The Electro story arc was pretty ridiculous how many twists and turns it tool. X-Men was more happy to just let the vibes of a scene speak for themselves, and I didn't always really understand what was going on, but it was cool.

The animation looked worse in Spiderman, but then there isn't the same kind of big drop off in quality that X-Men had in its later seasons when it dramatically reduced its lighting effects, that makes it hard for me to watch the end.

I don't really know the full story about censors, it definitely was afraid to be as explicit about bodily harm as X-Men, but the biggest thing was there was an episode that featured the Twin Towers that got an extreme hatchet job because 9/11 happened right when it was about to come out.

Air Skwirl posted:

I'd love that coming back too. Or either the Spider-Man show or a new Spider-Man show where he's not a loving high school student.

Early Silver Age Marvel happened in roughly real time so he graduated high school pretty loving quickly in the comics. Before Ultimate and Marvel Adventures Spider-Man he had spent vastly more time as a semi functional adult than a kid living with his aunt.

Peter Parker did graduate high school in a reasonable amount of time, but even before the Ultimate universe, there were constantly a bunch of miniseries set back during Peter Parker's high school days, keeping the idea of teenage spiderman around.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Just thinking about the Iron Man opening.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Though at the same time I seem to recall 90’s X-Men being able to get away with a bit more than 90’s Spider-Man did

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Toshimo posted:

Just thinking about the Iron Man opening.

hell yeah, man, that little hymn was banging
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BdddGIwANDE

except it wasn't all that matters is the second Iron Man opening I! AM! IRON MAN!

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
I never watched Evo - child me grew the hell up on X-Men TAS as a religion practically so it reeked of blasphemy to my idiot tween brain. Is the whole thing worth watching, or are there some episodes/seasons that are just trashfires and should be skipped?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

I never watched Evo - child me grew the hell up on X-Men TAS as a religion practically so it reeked of blasphemy to my idiot tween brain. Is the whole thing worth watching, or are there some episodes/seasons that are just trashfires and should be skipped?

Honestly all of Evo's good to great. There's some weak stuff in the first season mostly revolving around cartoon original character Spyke but it's nothing I'd suggest skipping.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Evo is good and they should revive that series one day too (I believe that one’s also available on D+ currently)

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

MorningMoon posted:

hell yeah, man, that little hymn was banging
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BdddGIwANDE

except it wasn't all that matters is the second Iron Man opening I! AM! IRON MAN!

Best cartoon opening was the 60s Fantastic Four cartoon with all the cool jazz.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eue8XngYdzM

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

The first season is up and down but it has some really good episodes. Hang with it because while the first season incorporates a lot of high school stuff, the series does move away from it but it's important that the characters experienced that.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

I AM GRANDO posted:

Best cartoon opening was the 60s Fantastic Four cartoon with all the cool jazz.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eue8XngYdzM

I love the random giant dudes trying to spear Thing and Torch. :v:

That said, no discussion about early Marvel cartoon openings is complete without the 90's Japanese opening that has....zero connection to the actual cartoon.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bl_Z-Acf6Sc

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

AlternateNu posted:

That said, no discussion about early Marvel cartoon openings is complete without the 90's Japanese opening that has....zero connection to the actual cartoon.

Makes you think Cable's more prominent than he is, kinda underplays Rogue and Storm for some reason, Magneto controls the Brood??? Just the best.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
I forget if the Brood even properly show up in TAS. I know one shows up as a hologram in one of the Mojoverse episodes, and I know there's the one weird episode where the boy Rogue drained when her powers activated seemingly shows up and it's a Brood plot, but IIRC those aliens are a bit different and never identified as the Brood. Like I don't think the Brood properly ever show up in TAS?
Again might be forgetting though.

EDIT: Somewhat adjacently; were the character picks in Marvel vs Capcom and its predecessors Capcom's doing or Marvel's? Because some were weird/cool pulls and I'm curious how much of that was a reflecting of Japan's tastes at the time and whatnot. Like did Marvel mandate Onslaught as the final boss of MVC, or was someone at Capcom behind that call?

RoboChrist 9000 fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Mar 24, 2024

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Its a bit of both from my recollection, which is why Blackheart and Shuma Gorath made it in, the guys at Capcom wanted interesting looking villains hence why they got chosen even though both were very obscure at the time

And then you had things like War Machine making it in over Iron Man cause another company had the rights to him for video games at the time

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

I'm right there with you as a former devotee of X-Men TAS. I watched every episode I could and had no time for this stupid show about teenagers. ...Even when I was a teenager or close to it. But as I've grown older, I have come to consider X-Men Evolution my all-time favorite comic-based cartoon. Everything about it is topnotch. Season 1 is kinda weak, but I think it's essential for building up the premise. And then every season after is pretty much perfect.

Larryb posted:

Evo is good and they should revive that series one day too (I believe that one’s also available on D+ currently)

I believe the only VA from it who has passed on is Kirby Morrow(Scott/Cyclops) so they could hypothetically get most everyone back, too.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

NikkolasKing posted:

I'm right there with you as a former devotee of X-Men TAS. I watched every episode I could and had no time for this stupid show about teenagers. ...Even when I was a teenager or close to it. But as I've grown older, I have come to consider X-Men Evolution my all-time favorite comic-based cartoon. Everything about it is topnotch. Season 1 is kinda weak, but I think it's essential for building up the premise. And then every season after is pretty much perfect.

I believe the only VA from it who has passed on is Kirby Morrow(Scott/Cyclops) so they could hypothetically get most everyone back, too.

I think Magneto's original VA also passed.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I feel like I generally have a lower tolerance for teen angst shows, so while I wasn't as much of a hardline "only the show I watched first is valid X-Men", watching it was never really high priority for me, and I've never really gone back to watch it, even though I'll speak to its quality, and a lot of the big redesigns it did still hold up as really intersting characters in their own right even if they don't fit with the originals.

It will definitely always stand as one of the boldest total redesigns of comic superheroes for the sake of a cartoon. It may have been taking a lot of cues from the movie, but it really went a long distance all on its own, especially with making them all high schoolers. I guess Batman Beyond and Spiderman unlimited came first, but Beyond is a more straightforward sequel while Unlimited was a bit of a mess and I couldn't really follow the plot.

AlternateNu posted:

Most of those villains showed up in the cartoon, although the Sleazoid episode was pretty lame.

No discussion involving 90s Marvel cartoons and the Fantastic Four is complete without this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mdW1vr5_Pcg

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Gaz-L posted:

Christopher Judge is very definitely still alive

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Alaois posted:

Christopher Judge is very definitely still alive

Oh, I got confused because Cyclops in 97 also got recast due to the actor passing away so I thought that's what was being discussed

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Gaz-L posted:

You might be thinking of Apocalypse's voice actor, John Colicos, who was also an OG Klingon on Star Trek TOS.

"I am as far beyond mutants as they are beyond you."

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

"I am the rocks of the eternal shore. Crash upon me, and be broken!"

Minister of Sound
Jan 1, 2007

Damn, I wish I was your lett'rer!

Dawgstar posted:

You might be thinking of Apocalypse's voice actor, John Colicos, who was also an OG Klingon on Star Trek TOS.

"I am as far beyond mutants as they are beyond you."

And the original Baltar in Battlestar Galactica!

Magneto's original voice actor, David Hemblen, passed away in 2020.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
Man considering what they did with Magneto in episode 2 I started thinking about what's likely coming with Sinister and Apocalypse and now I'm vibrating with excitement

This is the most positive feelings I've had for superhero TV since EMH went off the air

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

drrockso20 posted:

And then you had things like War Machine making it in over Iron Man cause another company had the rights to him for video games at the time

I choose to ignore this mundane explanation in favour of a unanimous belief that Rhodey's suit just looked way cooler and more awesome.

:colbert:

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Suffering of the Succotash.

Sentinel Red posted:

I choose to ignore this mundane explanation in favour of a unanimous belief that Rhodey's suit just looked way cooler and more awesome.

:colbert:

But it wasn't the War Machine armor except in the character portrait. It was just gray and black Iron Man, similar to how we got red Venom instead of Carnage.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IJ5W7-abyvY

Is Magneto this pretty in the comics? I had forgotten how he looked in TAS.

I've been thinking I'll actually re-watch it before starting up '97. It's been many, many years since I really sat down and watched an episode.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 06:57 on Mar 26, 2024

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

NikkolasKing posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IJ5W7-abyvY

I've been thinking I'll actually re-watch it before starting up '97. It's been many, many years since I really sat down and watched an episode.

I haven't read a ton of pre-Claremont X-Men, but he was always pretty striking looking since the late 70s

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Magneto: whatta guy!

X-Men '97 is so awesome. If they keep this up, even close, we're looking at a renaissance here.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

NikkolasKing posted:

You've fallen for a classic Magneto trap: his raw animal magnetism!

Only registered members can see post attachments!

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

TwoPair posted:

You've fallen for a classic Magneto trap: his raw animal magnetism!

It all makes sense now.

Also I had a thought. You know how in the movies they have the simple black leather costumes. I remember somebody once told me they did it because they were almost too ashamed or scared of being flashy and cartoony. I can kinda see that - the original X-Men movie was coming off a lot of really, really bad comic book movie flops. So yeah, maybe no yellow spandex for Wolverine in a big budget Hollywood movie in 2000 or whatever.

But anyway, while it might be less flashy, the uniforms in the films and Evo kinda make sense as actual uniforms for a team. There's some unifying design philosophy. Everyone in TAS jus wears whatever.

funtax
Feb 28, 2001
Forum Veteran

Air Skwirl posted:

I haven't read a ton of pre-Claremont X-Men, but he was always pretty striking looking since the late 70s

Especially during the Jim Lee/Claremont era, Sexy Magneto was definitely the norm.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
The blue and yellow was always the X-Men uniform colours. Wolverine, Cyke, Morph (when they're not being other people) and Beast all conform to it in 97

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
i'm cool with sexy lips magneto but dude needs to get rid of that ugly giant M costume stat

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

NikkolasKing posted:

It all makes sense now.

Also I had a thought. You know how in the movies they have the simple black leather costumes. I remember somebody once told me they did it because they were almost too ashamed or scared of being flashy and cartoony. I can kinda see that - the original X-Men movie was coming off a lot of really, really bad comic book movie flops. So yeah, maybe no yellow spandex for Wolverine in a big budget Hollywood movie in 2000 or whatever.

But anyway, while it might be less flashy, the uniforms in the films and Evo kinda make sense as actual uniforms for a team. There's some unifying design philosophy. Everyone in TAS jus wears whatever.

The TAS outfits just pulled directly from the comics for good and for bad. Context/history from the comics helps explain their looks that might not be apparent in the series. And in those movies there are practical filmmaking reasons to give them similar outfits and cover them up but also the team in the movie is more unified? Has fewer sketchy backgrounds?

Gambit is not in those movies to compare with but in the comics as someone mentioned already he wasn't really a true blue standard X-Men member to have a uniform look for TAS to use. The green and yellow in Rogue's costume is a remnant of her villainous past. Iceman, if he were in the show, would just be in an ice or snowball form so there's little point to a full outfit. In the movies it's easier if he just has some CG iceblasts from his hands only. Beast is already blue but in the movies they cover him for practical reasons as said above. And Storm... is just Storm. She looks awesome.

Lobok fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Mar 26, 2024

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
I really hope they go biker look Storm at some point. Though it happened in the other order in the comics, losing her powers is a good excuse to change her costume too.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Air Skwirl posted:

I really hope they go biker look Storm at some point. Though it happened in the other order in the comics, losing her powers is a good excuse to change her costume too.

If the people making it are fans it's hard to believe they would pass up on the opportunity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Magneto had the big M costume for the big "Trial of Magneto" cover, but it did suck.

He also had a much classier outfit at around that time that he wore for his other trial.

NikkolasKing posted:

I think the marvel movies may still be afraid of looking too cartoony, although that may also be from the modern cinematography style of making all sets, props, and costumes fairly muted in colors in favor of reserving the general usage of colors for use in post editing color correction. They also seem terrified of the idea of spandex for some reason, movie superheroes still prefer leather and plastics over classic fabric, despite (or maybe because of?) leather's problems as a clothing material.

Over time the X-Men (and their associated X-book teams) bounced around all over the place with their costumes, constantly torn between making big unified themes for uniforms and expressing individual identities for characters, sometimes even just wearing slightly elaborate street clothes for their iconic looks. Often new teams start out with all the same costume and only later assert their individuality, but the Giant Size X-Men reboot was a big exception to that. https://nerdist.com/article/dark-phoenix-evolution-x-men-costumes/

I'm pretty sure that the original costumes were meant to be black and yellow, but comicbook black often ends up blue, and a "blue and gold" dichotomy got integrated into the franchise when they wanted some kind of differentiation for running two "X-Men" comic titles concurrently.