Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

The X-Men only had team looks a handful of times in history that I can think of: the original team (who eventually graduated to personal uniforms), that timeframe right before the big relaunch where they were hanging out on Muir Island wearing updates to the original costumes (even Gambit did! But with a trenchcoat), and arguably the New X-Men period when they were basically wearing slightly more flamboyant movie leather costumes in various combinations.

Blue (or black) and yellow were kind of the team colors, but beyond the above, I can't think of any time everyone was wearing those.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suleman
Sep 4, 2011

NikkolasKing posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IJ5W7-abyvY

Is Magneto this pretty in the comics? I had forgotten how he looked in TAS.

I've been thinking I'll actually re-watch it before starting up '97. It's been many, many years since I really sat down and watched an episode.

He was a pretty generic Jack Kirby villain looking guy in the Silver Age.

He turned into a handsome silver fox when he returned for Claremont's run (late 70s -> early 90s), which gave him the sympathetic backstory. Later artists would basically keep him handsome, jacked and white-haired, though his exact appearance varied from artist to artist.

Suleman fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Mar 26, 2024

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I appreciate all the replies from the comics experts. A lot of fascinating stuff to read. Thank you very much.

Also, I know I pretty much just said "Evo is better than TAS in every way," but upon reflection there is one character I think Evo dropped the ball with, and that is Sabretooth. He really is just a generic henchman in Evolution. He fights Wolverine but there's no established history there. They fight because the writers know we expect it, not because of anything actually in the show. Other than that, he serves Magneto and roars and...that's it. Pretty lame.

TAS is what made me a Sabretooth fan. Speaking of designs, I think he looked way cooler in TAS

And he certainly had way cooler moments
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jZew_Le-jCs

One of the most unforgettable, awesome, and satisfying moments from TAS for me.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Mar 27, 2024

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Creed’s classic look is indeed great.

Suleman
Sep 4, 2011

MonsterEnvy posted:

Creed’s classic look is indeed great.

Interestingly, Sabretooth is another one of those characters who got a major glow-up later on. In his earlier appearances, he's way more feral and inhuman-looking.

Then Jim Lee gets his hands on the character and turns him into a much more suave and attractive but still dangerous looking guy.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

When does 'Creed tries to murder Logan on the latter's birthday' start?

Suleman
Sep 4, 2011

Dawgstar posted:

When does 'Creed tries to murder Logan on the latter's birthday' start?

More like "murders everyone Logan loves", but anyway:

In terms of comic publication, here (published in 1989):
https://marvel.fandom.com/wiki/Wolverine_Vol_2_10

In terms of in-universe timeline, around 1910.

That's getting pretty off-topic for the animated show thread, though.

Diabetic
Sep 29, 2006

When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world Diabeetus.
I didn't realize Inferno was sort of a Dark Crystal reference and I had this show have to point it out to me.

This latest X-Men 97 episode dipped into the "this isn't really for kids to watch and it's more for the people that grew up with this" territory.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Air Skwirl posted:

I really hope they go biker look Storm at some point. Though it happened in the other order in the comics, losing her powers is a good excuse to change her costume too.

Spoilers for the end of the most recent episode.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Diabetic posted:

dipped into the "this isn't really for kids to watch and it's more for the people that grew up with this" territory.

I mean, let's be real, that's what it was from the jump. If it was for kids/new viewers, it'd just be a new show disconnected from the old one entirely.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Suleman posted:

More like "murders everyone Logan loves", but anyway:

In terms of comic publication, here (published in 1989):
https://marvel.fandom.com/wiki/Wolverine_Vol_2_10

In terms of in-universe timeline, around 1910.

That's getting pretty off-topic for the animated show thread, though.

Although this reminds me of something I remember from TAS where Sabretooth, Wolverine, Silver Fox, and Maverick go to some Weapon X facility and it's revealed they have had their memories substantially altered to make everything look horrible, basically as triggers for violence. I bring this up here because at least in the cartoon it kinda implied Wolverine's memories of Sabretooth attacking Silver Fox was part of the false memories and conditioning.

But, looking at the ep again, it also has memories of Creed with his abusive father.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LjGfHg-Wr2w

And I'm pretty sure all of this did in fact happen in the comics and wasn't just BS.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Mar 27, 2024

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Lol at rogue and magneto's 6hr gently caress sesion in the holodeck

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

site posted:

Lol at rogue and magneto's 6hr gently caress sesion in the holodeck

Sugah, a gal's more pent up than a forced folksy feline metaphor!

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
it's hilarious how good x-men '97 looks at times compared to how the source material looked all the time

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Also, does Morph becoming Magik make any sense in the TAS continuity? I thought she was still a tiny child in the like 2 eps Piotr is in?

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY
“It’s cool” rule is in effect, sorry

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Gaz-L posted:

Also, does Morph becoming Magik make any sense in the TAS continuity? I thought she was still a tiny child in the like 2 eps Piotr is in?

It makes absolute sense if something similar to her comic miniseries happened offscreen.

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

Gaz-L posted:

As a wise man once said:

it don't matter, none of this matters

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY
Love him so much, but Cyclops WOULD be the type of guy to punch the wall lol

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Conrad_Birdie posted:

Love him so much, but Cyclops WOULD be the type of guy to punch the wall lol

He has a whole dimension to do that for him.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

*doki* *doki*
starting episode 3.

wow, this episode is oozing with drama. this is how an animation show like this should be, cherry pick all the best stuff and put them altogether.

Goblin Queen? Pretty out there name to give yourself, i guess she got her naming sense from Mr.Sinister

GateOfD fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Mar 28, 2024

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

Diabetic posted:

I didn't realize Inferno was sort of a Dark Crystal reference and I had this show have to point it out to me.

This latest X-Men 97 episode dipped into the "this isn't really for kids to watch and it's more for the people that grew up with this" territory.

You'd be surprised how much kids don't mind stuff like "laying out the entire story from scratch so that anyone can follow it with ease" and "women dressing like sexy halloween witches"

or maybe I was just a weird kid

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

That was a good episode. Was kind of surprised they did the Nathan thing so soon, but it makes sense. I just really hope they don't go back to the love triangle with Wolverine/Jean/Scott. Just let it go already.

It was also pointed out that kid Jean was holding a cyclops plushie, and that was also from the Dark Phoenix arc of the old series.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

*doki* *doki*
is there a reason why Mr.Sinister is super weak to Cyclop's beams?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

GateOfD posted:

He was killed by them in the comics once. He got better and then shrugged them off in later appearances.

Diabetic
Sep 29, 2006

When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world Diabeetus.

GateOfD posted:

Cyke is an omega level mutant with them punch beams, it's a wonder he doesn't punch more people in the chest.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

OnimaruXLR posted:

You'd be surprised how much kids don't mind stuff like "laying out the entire story from scratch so that anyone can follow it with ease" and "women dressing like sexy halloween witches"

or maybe I was just a weird kid

It is significantly more risque than Jean Grey's Black Queen costume in the original cartoon (and actually pretty close to her comic book Black Queen outfit). But ultimately it is just a riff on Diana Rigg's outfit in that one episode of Avengers (no relation to the superhero team).

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Air Skwirl posted:

It is significantly more risque than Jean Grey's Black Queen costume in the original cartoon (and actually pretty close to her comic book Black Queen outfit). But ultimately it is just a riff on Diana Rigg's outfit in that one episode of Avengers (no relation to the superhero team).

Except for Avengers Inc. where Al Ewing has made Wasp in Mrs Peel.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

GateOfD posted:

Originally in the comics they say he is specifically weak to them and that's what the show takes it from. Then later in the comics he comes along and is like 'lol just kidding"

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Diabetic posted:

Cyke is an omega level mutant with them punch beams, it's a wonder he doesn't punch more people in the chest.

Oh so they're Omega Beams, no wonder.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Codependent Poster posted:

Originally in the comics they say he is specifically weak to them and that's what the show takes it from. Then later in the comics he comes along and is like 'lol just kidding"

Yeah he’s not immune to them or anything, but they are no more effective on him than anything else.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

I took it as Scott being more pissed off than usual and letting the beams be lethal instead of the usual punch.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

Speedrun Inferno kinda worked for me imo

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

I liked that they threw in Savage Land Rogue.

iceyman
Jul 11, 2001

Wow, so that firmly solidified that this isn't a cartoon aimed at kids at all. Some of those visuals were down right horrifying, even for animation. I really dug their The Ring and The Thing mash-up. Now I really want to see their take on a proper Mojoworld.

A fairly satisfying (if not rushed) take on Inferno in 25 minutes. Hot drat!

Is it me or are they trying to explicitly establish Morph as gay for Wolverine?

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

I love Morph being in love with Wolverine. Growing up in a world where X-Men romance plots were all the old hat and boring, I think there's some fun stuff being done here. It feels very Claremont.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

iceyman posted:

Wow, so that firmly solidified that this isn't a cartoon aimed at kids at all. Some of those visuals were down right horrifying, even for animation. I really dug their The Ring and The Thing mash-up. Now I really want to see their take on a proper Mojoworld.

A fairly satisfying (if not rushed) take on Inferno in 25 minutes. Hot drat!

Is it me or are they trying to explicitly establish Morph as gay for Wolverine?

Morph is extremely horny for wolverine yes

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

It tracks with Morph sacrificing themself in the original cartoon when it wasn't necessary.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Azubah posted:

It tracks with Morph sacrificing themself in the original cartoon when it wasn't necessary.

Wolverine wasn't quite as indestructible in those days. In Days of Future Past he does vaporized by a Sentinel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Some wild stuff in this episode. A little sailor moon sequence for the Goblin queen a real ghostbusters vibe from all the stuff transforming in the kids room. Even the Demon Sentinel looked a lot like a baddie from mazinger z. Great stuff.