Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I AM GRANDO posted:

Cedric Smith was an all-timer. I can still hear his voice on the CBC One ads for (I think) Phantom of the Opera.

drat, getting hit square in the nostalgia right now.

I don't love Xavier's voice and I think part of it is that he's trying to be the original actor. The original voice is hard to replicate, they should just have the new guy do his own thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Lobok posted:

drat, getting hit square in the nostalgia right now.

I don't love Xavier's voice and I think part of it is that he's trying to be the original actor. The original voice is hard to replicate, they should just have the new guy do his own thing.

Or a Paddy Stu voice.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

The funny thing is, his Red Skull impression in Endgame was spot on, but I agree that Xavier was shaky.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

It sounded like he was recording from inside a tin can.

But it's only taken a little bit to get used to the new voice actors and how the older ones sound, well, older. I'm sure I'll get used to this Xavier.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

Classic Charles, thinking he knows better.

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY

Codependent Poster posted:

It sounded like he was recording from inside a tin can.

Yeah what the heck is up with this it’s super bad

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

TwoPair posted:

Anyway setting all that aside: I get that they're going with Sinister's portrayal from the original cartoon, but now after reading comics I know he's both English and (for the past few years in comics) catty as hell, so his bland generic evil voice just does not match what I've had in my head.

He’s Victorian English here too. His origin showed up in the old show.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

In other news, we’ve got our first clip from MAWS Season 2:

https://twitter.com/adultswim/status/1780974839081156686

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 29 days!)

episode 6 of '97 wasn't amazing, but as a way to cooldown and put everyone on the same page is fine. Liked it elaborated that Storm and Xavier stuff happening at the same time as the main scene stuff.

Charle's lecture to the space birds was dumb. They don't care, and him trying to preach to them about earth culture view points is dumb. Let the space birds have their aggressive culture if they want.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

TwoPair posted:

Anyway setting all that aside: I get that they're going with Sinister's portrayal from the original cartoon, but now after reading comics I know he's both English and (for the past few years in comics) catty as hell, so his bland generic evil voice just does not match what I've had in my head.

Would a person really still have a strong accent after being alive as long as he has been, to say nothing of al the weird science poo poo done to his body?

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

GateOfD posted:

Charle's lecture to the space birds was dumb. They don't care, and him trying to preach to them about earth culture view points is dumb. Let the space birds have their aggressive culture if they want.

I do feel weird that the guy saying "colonialism is bad" made me go "Christ, what a douche" instead of "yes that is true"

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

howe_sam posted:

The funny thing is, his Red Skull impression in Endgame was spot on, but I agree that Xavier was shaky.

Ross Marquand is a fantastic impersonator. Like some of the best impersonations you'll ever see done in such a niche way. The problem is that he's trying a bit too hard with Xavier.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AFXTxQPV79w

X-O fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Apr 18, 2024

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

https://youtu.be/wmdzn1uig1k

Two-Face was always my favorite Batman villain. He was even my favorite part of Dark Knight while everyone went crazy for Ledger Joker.

But re-watching this clip, I'm reminded of how Batman TAS, at least to my recollection, had this weird retro or noir vibe. Whenever he was dealing with gangsters or Two-Face here, it all felt like it was taking place in the past, closer to when his parents were killed. Is that an accurate memory and assessment/ Like, maybe it's the music, the sound effects for the guns, the choice of language used - all of it gives an old -school gangster feel.

Maybe that atmosphere, so very unique to a superhero cartoons, is why it has such a powerful legacy. Even other DCAU shows with Batman can't capture it.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

The setting was weird for BTAS but it was a strength. It played fast & loose with when it was supposed to be set so they could be flexible with feeling like later decades or going all Edward G. Robinson firing Tommy guns on Studebaker running boards.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

X-O posted:

Ross Marquand is a fantastic impersonator. Like some of the best impersonations you'll ever see done in such a niche way. The problem is that he's trying a bit too hard with Xavier.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AFXTxQPV79w

They should get that comedian who has a whole bit where he acts out the pilot and does all the voices, although I don’t think he did Professor X. His imitation of Jubilee’s adoptive dad is perfect, though. I think he was on snl for a while.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

B:TAS's weird period aesthetic was neat, the Superman series that followed had a similar thing going on, although it's a bit more subtle about it. Kind of retro-future, I guess also homaging a bit of a later decade than B:TAS. I think the thing that most stood out to me was the Daily Planet's desktop computers looking like old timey lamps.

Most famously, most of Superman's villains used high-tech sci-fi weapons instead of something that would be more identifiable to a time period like the tommy gun, but I feel like most of that was for story reasons. There was sort of an overarching narrative of the series, the proliferation of high-tech weapons and the ordinary police being unable to deal with the new threats.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

NikkolasKing posted:

https://youtu.be/wmdzn1uig1k

Two-Face was always my favorite Batman villain. He was even my favorite part of Dark Knight while everyone went crazy for Ledger Joker.

But re-watching this clip, I'm reminded of how Batman TAS, at least to my recollection, had this weird retro or noir vibe. Whenever he was dealing with gangsters or Two-Face here, it all felt like it was taking place in the past, closer to when his parents were killed. Is that an accurate memory and assessment/ Like, maybe it's the music, the sound effects for the guns, the choice of language used - all of it gives an old -school gangster feel.

Maybe that atmosphere, so very unique to a superhero cartoons, is why it has such a powerful legacy. Even other DCAU shows with Batman can't capture it.

I dunno, original recipe BTAS distinct aesthetic is very nice and all but I don't think New Gotham Adventures and JLU suffer for not having it

And then along comes Batman Beyond which has a very unique visual identity that is great, and part of the reason that every attempt to re-visit it has failed miserably (those comics are so bad, holy poo poo)

Basically a good thing about the DCAU is that they managed to really capture how versatile the characters could be, which makes the fact that so many of the DTV animated movies that came out later were samey bullshit almost comically sad

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
THE HATE CRIME APOLOGIST HAS LOGGED ON
On Batman beyond, I wonder if the timeline matches enough for them to have been influenced by Marvel 2099.

But serious, I love BB and Return of the Joker I think is my by far favourite DCAU movie. Barely beating mask of Phantasm but not by much

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

bunnyofdoom posted:

On Batman beyond, I wonder if the timeline matches enough for them to have been influenced by Marvel 2099.

But serious, I love BB and Return of the Joker I think is my by far favourite DCAU movie. Barely beating mask of Phantasm but not by much

BB started in January 1999, the 2099 line was dead by 1997, so maybe some influence.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
The style for BTAS is very heavily cribbing from the 1940's Fleischer/Famous Studios Superman shorts

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Rachel was one of those background characters that didn't really do anything in the original series. She showed up in the episode where Apocalypse stole Cable's time machine and kidnapped a bunch of psychics to rewrite time. (Also Ganthet is there too)

I did a complete rewatch of the original series and it isn't too bad with some slight goofiness. Although the last half of the final season has some massive issues as they changed animation studios or something because nothing looks right and everyone is completely off model, especially Beast.

A funny thing about 97 is how much of a focus Cyclops is getting because he got really short shrift in the old series. He's just gone for large chunks while Wolverine gets a lot of the spotlight.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

muscles like this! posted:

A funny thing about 97 is how much of a focus Cyclops is getting because he got really short shrift in the old series. He's just gone for large chunks while Wolverine gets a lot of the spotlight.

One of the directors for '97 discusses how Cyclops is one of his favorites and he really identifies with him. (I don't particularly care for the contrast with Wolverine being who you like as a child but whatever) Probably goes a good way to explaining his prominence.

OnimaruXLR posted:

I dunno, original recipe BTAS distinct aesthetic is very nice and all but I don't think New Gotham Adventures and JLU suffer for not having it

And then along comes Batman Beyond which has a very unique visual identity that is great, and part of the reason that every attempt to re-visit it has failed miserably (those comics are so bad, holy poo poo)

Basically a good thing about the DCAU is that they managed to really capture how versatile the characters could be, which makes the fact that so many of the DTV animated movies that came out later were samey bullshit almost comically sad

bunnyofdoom posted:

Oh I adore Batman Beyond. I grew up preferring it to B:TAS, although I'd have to re-watch both of them to say which one 35-year-old me would like more. Return of the Joker is also a contender for my all-time favorite Batman film.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
Cyclops is the main character of the X-Men and no studio is ever going to get Dark Phoenix Saga in particular right until they understand that.

Also I think it was E&C who dubbed Elmo "a furry red Wolverine" and that is my favorite metaphor of all time, and it genuinely upsets me that basically nobody will ever understand it because the Venn diagram of Sesame Street knowers and comic book fans is a sliver.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

CapnAndy posted:

Cyclops is the main character of the X-Men and no studio is ever going to get Dark Phoenix Saga in particular right until they understand that.

Also I think it was E&C who dubbed Elmo "a furry red Wolverine" and that is my favorite metaphor of all time, and it genuinely upsets me that basically nobody will ever understand it because the Venn diagram of Sesame Street knowers and comic book fans is a sliver.

If it helps, I get it. My parents always found Elmo annoying, they preferred Grover from their childhoods.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kkeT4zT_2WU&t=602s

What a funny title since this seems to be an outright villainous version of Magneto.

In Evo, he did some pretty shady poo poo, some of which I feel the writers themselves overlooked. But this is a whole other level than just framing Angel to make humans hate him.

When I was reading Uncanny #150, I was extremely curious to see my first Comics Magneto. Was he virtuous leader or power-hungry? Righteous warrior or mad with vengeance?

I like how it looked like he was being "exposed" as the latter as he kept being thwarted and frustrated by the X-Men, right until he was overcome with fury and ready to kill a mutant child. But then he recoils in horror at what he almost did.

In a way, I wanna say Magneto is similar to Wolverine, a man straddling two natures who constantly war for control of him. It's the human and the bestial with Logan, but for Mags it's the desire to do good warring with bitterness and anger.

And then there's this Magneto who seems to just be kind of a prick, right down to the voice-acting given to him.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 08:27 on Apr 20, 2024

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
That attack in the clip there is outright a false flag too. Magneto and Senator Kelly where shown a vision of a Sentinel ruled future that their aggression towards each other leads to. Kelly wanted to stand down as a result, but Magneto saw victory as coming from controlling both sides. So he got Mystique to pretend to be Kelly and launch the attack on Genosha.

Earthorn
Jul 18, 2012

MonsterEnvy posted:

Gladiator with the power of being Superman, but not as good a person.

But Superman is vulnerable to magic (Juggernaut is magic).

So animated Gladiator is just modern Nimrod, Worfing Juggernaut to prove what a badass he is.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Superman is vulnerable to magic in that he has no defence against it. But magic that just buffs you to make you stronger would not help against Superman unless that buff was strong enough to make you equal him.

Juggernaut’s magic buff doesn’t equal up to Gladiator.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Also is there any part of Juggernaut's magic that prevents someone from along with the direction he's chosen? Like he yells out Nothing Stops the Juggernaut for the millionth time charging down a highway and then feels arms lifting him up by the pits and oh, it's Captain Marvel from behind flying him up to space to leave him there.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Lobok posted:

Also is there any part of Juggernaut's magic that prevents someone from along with the direction he's chosen? Like he yells out Nothing Stops the Juggernaut for the millionth time charging down a highway and then feels arms lifting him up by the pits and oh, it's Captain Marvel from behind flying him up to space to leave him there.

Worldbreaker Hulk dealt with Juggernaut by essentially using his momentum against him.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 29 days!)

Has Beast done anything in the comics?
the other more famous X-men, they just leak into the public mainframe, but I don't know much about him other than he's blue and he's smart.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

HOOOOOOOOO BOY

that is a question

*sips drink, stares out the window, doesnt answer the question. the silence just gets longer and more awkward*

PicklePants
May 8, 2007
Woo!
Well.

He joined the Avengers after he left the X-Men and hung out with Wonder Man, and they were goofy and delightful.

He also was in the Defenders.

Then he became a lion.

Then.. uh. Well, after that it just goes really down hill.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!
Remember after Civil War when they had Tony Stark effectively die and then come back from a memory backup from before Civil War so he didn't remember any of the bits about fighting against Cap or sending his fellow superheroes to space jail?

They basically had to do that exact same thing with Beast, but instead of undoing a few months of unwanted character progression, it was more like 20 goddamn years. It had gotten to the point where he was more immoral and callous than his own evil twin from the darkest timeline.

Suleman
Sep 4, 2011

GateOfD posted:

Has Beast done anything in the comics?
the other more famous X-men, they just leak into the public mainframe, but I don't know much about him other than he's blue and he's smart.

Let's see some of his accomplishments. Heavy spoilers here.

He was mostly the X-Men's tech support between 1990-2020. He spent most of the 90s helping to cure the Legacy Virus, the mutant AIDS allegory.
His evil alternate universe counterpart travelled to the mainline universe, genetically experimented on vulnerable New York residents, which led to the community of sewer-dwelling non-human-passing mutants known as the Morlocks. That ended badly. That counterpart also kidnapped regular Hank and pretended to be him for a while.
Became a cat person for a few years. That was when he pretended to be gay to spite his ex-girlfriend.
When he thought Cyclops becoming a pro-mutant terrorist was going too far, he kidnapped younger versions of the original X-Men from the past (including himself) to remind Cyclops of Xavier's original dream or something. This caused massive temporal chaos which destroyed entire timelines. The normally passively observing Watcher popped by just to say how much he personally despised Hank for what he had done.
When a crossover pitted human and mutant superheroes against each other, he initially sided with the humans.
When the mutant sovereign nation Krakoa was formed, he became the leader of its CIA. He proceeded to brainwash his own morality away to be more "objective" and committed so many war crimes.

Currently, as in the most recent issues, a more moral cloned version of himself with no memory from the past few years is fighting against his current self, who is trying to commit genocide for the "greater good".

Suleman fucked around with this message at 14:01 on Apr 21, 2024

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
According to Kitty, Hank’s morality started going downhill after he dated Abigail Brand. A character who also known for her amorality and callousness in pursuit of what she sees as the greater good.

This seems to be accurate as his worst stuff really started happening after that period.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Honestly the being a cat man that pretends to be gay is the most Comic Books thing in the list jfc

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
How it started: Fuzzy blue Dan Akroyd circa Ghostbusters

How it's going: Fuzzy blue Henry Kissinger

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Gaz-L posted:

How it started: Fuzzy blue Dan Akroyd circa Ghostbusters

How it's going: Fuzzy blue Henry Kissinger

He’s back to how it started as Kissinger Beast died.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Fuego Fish posted:

They basically had to do that exact same thing with Beast, but instead of undoing a few months of unwanted character progression, it was more like 20 goddamn years. It had gotten to the point where he was more immoral and callous than his own evil twin from the darkest timeline.

Mr. Sinister to Dark Beast's still alive head: "You aren't even the darkest Beast anymore!"