Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
I grew up on Batman TAS and then later the DCAU but never really got into DC comics much - I read Marvel. That said, I recently got into Harley Quinn - the show - and I absolutely adore it, and I was surprised since I generally dislike what little I've seen with the characters since the DCAU.
Anyway, I mention that since my knowledge of DC comics outside the broad strokes and loving Amanda Conner's Power Girl run is pretty much 'nothing' so yeah.

That said, both I and a friend who I turned on to the show absolutely adore their take on Ivy. Normally the DCAU is like my platonic ideal for most Batman characters, but goddamn if HQ's Ivy isn't the platonic ideal of Ivy to me now.
So yeah, mentioning it here since I'm just wondering if there's any comics worth reading that take an approach to Ivy that's at all like the shows?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

Gaz-L posted:

Good news, the show has a comic miniseries currently running about Harley and Ivy on their "honeymoon".

The show also takes a lot of cues from Conner and her husband's run on the Harley comic itself.

I thought I vaguely recalled having heard Conner's Harley Quinn run was kind of awful? Or was it just the early New 52 part of it?

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
Livewire's fun, but yeah, Mercy's kind of barely a character. Like she's not bad or anything and does her role in the story and stuff well, but yeah.
Livewire I think has potential. Especially since I imagine if you wanted to reinvent her for a modern audience she'd be less a radio shock-jock (although then you lose out on the punny irony of her becoming a literal shock jock) and more like some sort of twitter/tik-tok/youtube troll.

EDIT: Also I think it helps that Harley is a victim so we can excuse her bad behavior more and sympathize with her more. Livewire's an rear end in a top hat who got worse. Mercy has a bit of a tragic backstory, but from what I recall she's just a street urchin who got taken in by Luthor. She's a victim too, but she's less of a sympathetic villain for what audiences tend to go for, since you know victim blaming is pretty big. Plus Mercy's a straight (wo)man while Harley and even Livewire are both fun and vivacious.

At least in the shows. Again, my knowledge is mostly the DCAU so I have no idea how, if at all, the comics have handled Livewire or Mercy.

RoboChrist 9000 fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Oct 30, 2021

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
I re-watched X-Men TAS, most of it, a few years back and it's wildly uneven. Its lows are very low, and its highs are pretty great, though, especially for the time - although obviously it cannot compare to the DCAU. Its definitely got a level of bombast and X-TREME to it and as others have said, absolutely revels in the 90s. So it's not for everyone. I still enjoy it and find it really good comfort food, although part of that is absolutely having grown up on it.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
Gargoyles was absolutely incredible.

And I mean, yeah, if you want to talk about how the censors took a bat to Spider-Man; they say 'die' and 'kill' more times in the first episode of Darkwing Duck than they do in the entire run of Spider-Man TAS. It's unreal.

90s cartoons were a mixed bag in general and even within themselves. Batman TAS is unique and remarkable not only in how excellent it was, but how uniformly excellent it was - and I don't just mena from episode to episode. The writing, animation, and voice acting were all fantastic. Most 90s cartoons were kind of 'good writing, good animation, good voice acting; pick two or less.' Gargoyles had incredible writing and voice acting, but the animation was generally nothing special. And in general it feels like that was the norm for the 90s; most shows had at least good voice acting, some had good writing, but from what I recall looking back on what I grew up with, very few had animation that would stand out as 'great' even by modern standards.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
The episode(s?) of Spider-Man TAS where he's mutating and then the X-Men show up loving blew my mind as a kid. Like as much as it was a meme a few years back the whole 'Infinity War is the most ambitious crossover in history' that's legit how that episode felt to me as a kid.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
I feel like they should just continue as the show was and go from there. I mean you have lots of comic arcs from the 90s they can give the treatment like the show did; Age of Apocalypse, Onslaught, the Legacy Virus stuff, whatever the nonsense with Stryfe was.

Whatever they do, timeskip or no, I demand the first episode open with 'PREVIOUSLY ON X-MEN' and it's just a recap of the entire original run.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
I never watched X-Men Evolution, but I always felt, and still kind of do although maybe the show does a better job of it - that making Rogue a goth kind of misses part of the point of the character.
Like while I am familiar with a lot of Marvel comics, I admit the X-Men were ones I never got into by and large - too daunting. Although I grew up with the cartoons and whatnot. But yeah, I always felt like part of the basic premise of the 'modern' incarnation of Rogue (I know she started off as a villain and whatnot) was a deliberate irony/juxtaposition. You have this vivacious, sexualized, Southern belle who seems pretty upbeat, but is actually one of the characters with one of the most hosed up and tragic backstories. She seriously injured or killed the first person she was ever in love with, and has been damned to basically never know physical intimacy - even something as simple as a hand on her face. That beneath the rough and tumble verve you've got this person who is deeply hurting and hiding their pain and carrying on as best they can, although from time to time it surfaces.

Which, I mean, maybe it's me, but feels also like besides a good storytelling concept in general, something that is profoundly resonant to anyone who has struggled with depression or with living as a persecuted minority. Having to put on a smile and live your life despite all your trauma.

But eh. Does Evolution hold up? My cousin swears by it but, as I said, never grew up with it like he did. OG TAS was my childhood X-Men.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
I really enjoyed season 1 of Young Justice but season 2 is losing me.
That said I’d gladly trade that first season for more Gargoyles.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
I'm arguably a huge Greg fanboy. I adore Gargoyles and wish we got more, and I loved the gently caress out of season 1 of Young Justice and thought it was incredible from start to finish. I like his serialized storytelling and a lot of his quirks and characteristics as a writer.

I still bounced hard off of season 2 of YJ. Too many characters, not enough time to shine, and the cast I fell in love with and really liked the first time around is largely in the background.

Considering how good he is at serialization and all that, it's even more baffling that he did a timeskip. Show, don't tell, the passage of time.

EDIT: Like if part of your story's basic premise and appeal is 'watch these young characters mature and grow into their own' I feel like a timeskip is obviously something you should not consider from the start. Timeskips are something you do when you don't want to have to take the time to show a character growing and maturing.

RoboChrist 9000 fucked around with this message at 06:02 on May 10, 2022

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

AlternateNu posted:

Probably a mercy. This season has not been good.

gently caress I've been hearing that. God dammit. I loved the first two so much.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
From what I recall of X-Men TAS when I did a rewatch about 6 years or so ago now, was that it was very uneven. Generally it was average for the time, or above average. Sometimes it was very good, and enjoyable even without nostalgia. And sometimes REMOVE SENATOR KELLY'S BRAIN AND REPLACE IT WITH A COMPUTER.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
Didn't Cable, like Wolverine, have lots of big reveals and retcons over the decades since, unlike Wolverine, they rather early on realized his main appeal was as a mysterybox and that once they revealed his backstory he lost most of his appeal?

While Wolverine was more just a case of wanting to milk the character for decades.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
I thought the first season was incredible and I'm generally a DCAU-or-bust kinda guy. And I bounced so hard off season 2 I still haven't finished it.

EDIT: And Gargoyles is one of my favorite, like *things*. I love Weisman. But man, YT season 2 is just baffling because it's like a deliberate choice to take everything that made season 1 good and work and then... not. Like deliberately making a bad season.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
I'm nervous but optimistic.
Also is it me or does Jean look a bit less like her TAS design and more like an aged up Evolution Jean?

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

PicklePants posted:

They could hint at so much with what the bad guys said, but Magneto still couldn't directly say he was in the holocaust.

He danced around it in a clunky way. The 2000s X-Men movies were PG-13, and they had it, or is this after an even younger demo? Because the nostalgia bait makes me think that this is made for older :corsair: fans.

I could have SWORN at some point in the original TAS that he said he at least said "never again" in a rather unambiguous fashion? But the censorship in X-Men TAS was, like nearly all things in that show, very uneven.
I mean networks were not consistent. Look at the bat ABC took to Reboot, and yet Darkwing Duck - not Gargoyles, Darkwing loving Duck - airing on the same network says "death" and "kill" more times in the first episode than Spider-Man TAS does in its entire run lmao.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

Air Skwirl posted:

there's an episode of Spider-Man that has the X-Men, it was part of the arc where he's turning into a giant spider.

That episode blew my mind as a child like you wouldn't believe. Like I don't think I had ever seen a crossover in television like that before, or if I had it didn't leave much of an impact.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
In some ways Spider-Man TAS was a lot more ambitious than X-Men TAS with its crossovers and whatnot. Which is weird since it always felt like it had less of a budget (the animation quality in X-Men, much like its writing, was uneven but generally at least on par for the time, and sometimes (and, no, not just Rogue's butt) great for the time) and definitely had more of a bat taken to it by the censors.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
I never watched Evo - child me grew the hell up on X-Men TAS as a religion practically so it reeked of blasphemy to my idiot tween brain. Is the whole thing worth watching, or are there some episodes/seasons that are just trashfires and should be skipped?

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
I forget if the Brood even properly show up in TAS. I know one shows up as a hologram in one of the Mojoverse episodes, and I know there's the one weird episode where the boy Rogue drained when her powers activated seemingly shows up and it's a Brood plot, but IIRC those aliens are a bit different and never identified as the Brood. Like I don't think the Brood properly ever show up in TAS?
Again might be forgetting though.

EDIT: Somewhat adjacently; were the character picks in Marvel vs Capcom and its predecessors Capcom's doing or Marvel's? Because some were weird/cool pulls and I'm curious how much of that was a reflecting of Japan's tastes at the time and whatnot. Like did Marvel mandate Onslaught as the final boss of MVC, or was someone at Capcom behind that call?

RoboChrist 9000 fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Mar 24, 2024

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

Gaz-L posted:

I think Invincible is the first action cartoon produced for the US that defaults to hour long episodes, maybe ever.

The first 2 seasons of Justice League feel like they were considering it, as almost every story is a two-parter, meaning they fill an hour-long slot quite easily.

I might be misremembering but isn't every single episode of JL before becoming JLU straight up a two or three parter? Like I don't think they actually have any 30-minute one-and-done episodes, do they?

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

Gaz-L posted:

There's a few 3 parters, and the Xmas episode is one and done.

Huh, I adore the Christmas one but I forgot that was JL and not LU.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

ImpAtom posted:

Sometimes I think it would be fun to take a character and just go through marking every single passage of time documented in their books to figure out the absolute bare minimum amount of time they could take place over is.

Legitimately something I've thought about for years. Honestly with how often characters show up across different books, it seems like it would be nearly impossible like that. I think it's better to just pick like one book, rather than one character, and just go for an entire volume of it and see.