Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Huh, I thought that was just Garfield 'N Friends

I know the newspaper strip is absolutely rubbish, but...was Garfield and Friends any good? I REMEMBER it being good, but nostalgia is a hell of a drug, and I don't think I want to go back and try rewatching the show to find out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Roth posted:

The main things I remember about 90s Spider-Man are:

1. The Secret Wars arc
2. Meeting Stan Lee
3. People falling into portals instead of dying
4. SHOOOOOOOOOOOCKER!!!! I WILL CHASE YOU TO THE ENDS OF THE EAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARTH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
5. The episode names were stuff like "Sins of the Father: Book 4: Part VIII: The Sequel
6. "I ran out of web!" *Cut to commercial*

Don't forget

7. "PLAAAAAAAAAAAAASMA!"

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

SonicRulez posted:

The plasma hands were scary as poo poo and since I didn't know anything about Morbius, I had no idea that they were the product of censorship. I remember that show had a surprising number of other Marvel guys show up. Blade, Punisher, The Avengers. Also "Power of Web-Shooters....get real sticky!"

Are there any major Marvel guys that DIDN'T show up? I'm pretty sure most of the big Marvel names appeared at least once.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Man. All this Spider-Man TAS talk is making me want to try rewatching the series.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Reinanigans posted:

Someone told me the word is that "Justice League: Dark" is good, and maybe the best DC animated movie. Has anyone here seen it that can confirm/deny?

I just finished watching it and thought it was pretty okay.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Reinanigans posted:

That list is insane. TAS Mr. Freeze is so iconic and only got 2 episode?!

He got an entire movie so I think that makes up for it?

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Now that Wonder Woman has gotten her own movie and it's turned out to be a huge success, do you think DC might actually give her more animated stuff of her own now?

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

https://twitter.com/DCComics/status/880134980097232897

It includes all the modern animated films starting from the Death of Superman one up to Batman and Harley Quinn

There's enough good ones, IMO anyway, that I would be willing to get this.

As long as the price isn't too crazy, at least.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

I had to check, because there was no way that Spider-Man TAS did the Symbiote by episode 8. No way.

Motherfucker. :stare:

Checking the seven episodes before, and man. This show was even more of a trip than I remember. We start off with the Lizard, and then immediately follow it up with a two-parter about the Spider Slayers, then Doc Ock, Mysterio, Scorpion, and Kraven.

Venom is both introduced and seemingly taken care of in episode 10, and then doesn't return until episode 37, an episode that featured motherfuckin' Dormammu? :stare: I don't remember Dormammu being in this show!

Maybe I should re-watch this nonsense sometime.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

They should have just done an adaptation of the Gotham Central comic, dammit. :argh: That's what I was hoping the show would be at first.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Kurui Reiten posted:

(Jupiter and Mercury are best scouts, fight me)

ftfy

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

If we're going to do Asian-influenced Batman, can we just get more Batman of Shanghai shorts instead?

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

punk rebel ecks posted:

Also, Batman parts bugged me at times because if Bane wanted to kill him he could have just smashed his head when he got him unconscious before he buried him, or he could have snapped his neck while he was chocking him during the second fight. I was also disappointed that the film didn't show just why Batman was so sure the Justice League could never be trusted. It just left it like "yeah that's just his opinion".

It's not so much that they couldn't be trusted, it's more that JUST IN CASE something happened he wanted a plan to deal with the problem.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

punk rebel ecks posted:

I'd assume this is had a major part in comics declining. Too many stories to keep track of and readers not caring or bonding with the characters or world enough.

There's also the fact that in most cases, the only place to get comic books is at (surprise!) a comic book shop, and those have a habit and a reputation of being unfriendly places towards newcomers and outsiders.

There's honestly a large number of factors that go into why comics have been on the decline, and sadly for the industry they'll probably never be at the numbers they used to be at again.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

ToastyPotato posted:

It sucks that the creator of Pepe has to endure what people are doing to his character considering he doesn't agree with any of it.

He finally reached a breaking point.

https://motherboard.vice.com/en_us/article/8x8gaa/pepe-the-frogs-creator-lawsuits-dmca-matt-furie-alt-right

Don't know how well it's worked so far, but I'm glad he's taking a stand against it.

Anyway! Cartoons!

Teen Titans Go is really hit-or-miss for me. There's no real middle ground. Sometimes you get great things out of it like The Night Begins to Shine, and sometimes you get the creepy as hell Lady Legasus stuff.

I wish they still showed it in the mornings instead of Ben 10 though. :argh:

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

I like her Injustice 2 design, seeing her wearing the Bat on the back of her jacket is pretty awesome.

Also a big fan of the Bombshells design.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

SlothfulCobra posted:

The 2003 show I enjoyed most, probably because it was what I watched as a kid. I watched a few episodes of the old show back in the older days of youtube when you could just find old TV shows unedited, and it was about what you'd expect from an 80s kids' show. Then I watched an episode from one of the later seasons and it was crazy, they were all in some kind of resistance movement in an alien-occupied futuristic New York? Not particularly any better, but it filled me with wonder as to what the hell happened in the earlier seasons to get to that.

Power Rangers happened.

No, really. When Power Rangers debuted, it completely took over the space the TMNT held up to that point. Toy sales were down and the cartoon ratings plummeted. The cartoon staff was desperate to get back even a fraction of what they had before, so they did all kinds of insane things to try and catch people's attention. Shredder and Krang were written out and a new major villain took their place. The Channel Six news building was blown up and everyone inside died. None of the Channel Six characters appeared again except April.

Most importantly though?

The turtles began to mutant further, into these horrifying abominations. :gonk:

Needless to say, none of this worked. The show's ratings continued to plummet. No one was watching it and eventually it was quietly canceled.

I think it's safe to consider it a mercy killing.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

business hammocks posted:

Didn’t they already do an animated movie of that one?

It's the ten-year anniversary of DC's direct-to-DVD animated movies, and they decided they weren't happy with Superman: Doomsday (which was the first one they did), so they're remaking it.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

ryonguy posted:

:nws:So, uh, Suicide Squad: Hell to Pay has full, not in shadows nudity.:nws:

Also from the little bit I watched of it, it's R-rated violence with bloody deaths too. Kind of surprised this is the direction DC is willing to take their animated movies, a bit of a bold move. Not sure I like it to be honest.

I can't even tell what characters those are.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Any issues that TTG might have are instantly forgiven because of The Night Begins to Shine. :colbert:

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

ToastyPotato posted:

I'm kind of surprised Care Bears never got a wacky reboot, now that I think about it.

They did, and the Hub tried to market it to bronies. They even came up with a cutesy brony-like nickname for the fanbase ahead of time, though I can't for the life of me remember what it was.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VZwDNAQH0cU

TwoPair posted:

Listen I don't care how the rest of her design changes any Zatanna design without a top hat is automatically bad. I just think a magic superhero dressing like a stage magician is too great.

Agreed. Her whole thing is being an entertainer, a stage magician. It's literally her job. Her outfit is one of the rare times that it makes total sense for the character.

EDIT: Belly-Bros! They wanted the Care Bears fanbase to call themselves Belly-Bros!

Problem for them was, there was no fanbase. :v:

Vandar fucked around with this message at 22:54 on May 22, 2018

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Hypocrisy posted:

2001 was 17 years ago. I have long stopped keeping track of Penny Arcade stuff. Is there anything more recent?

They are definitely not the same people they were 17 years ago. They still have issues now and again (like, for instance, the entire Dickwolves thing), but even that was a while back and they've been trying to put in more effort since then.

They've mellowed out a lot. Fatherhood tends to do that to people, as does realizing 'hey, we're at the head of a small empire and have actual employees that depend on us'.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

New Spider-Verse trailer looks incredible.

https://youtu.be/g4Hbz2jLxvQ

Vandar fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Jun 6, 2018

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Samuringa posted:

What happened between MLP and 2018 that manchildren now are angry at cute cartoon girls instead of being allured by them?

Gamergate and then Drumpf and then Comicsgate.

EDIT: We have a word filter on the president's name?

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Abroham Lincoln posted:

I mean if you're looking at animated adaptions in particular (because this is that thread) then Death of Superman and Judas Contract are both at 3 now, which is probably too many times for any story to be retold, honestly.

Judas Contract has been done in the Teen Titans cartoon, the animated movie, Teen Titans Go, and apparently now Young Justice, so that's four times. :sigh: I would not be surprised at all if the live-action Titans show does an arc based on it, too.

I can't entirely blame them for revisiting that well so many times, even if it is pretty lazy. It's the most famous Teen Titans storyline from the comics, and the only one I've ever really heard anyone talk about much, so I can get different animation groups all wanting to put their own spin on things. Still sucks, though.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Even if it's played as a joke, it still counts! :v:

Heck, I'd even argue TTG To The Movies draws some influence from it.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

MonsterEnvy posted:

They kind of seem the opposite of ashamed. They are bringing in every DC reference they can find no matter how obscure. Like the Streamer girl Garfield helped as an gorilla was this person. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Angel_and_the_Ape

Holy poo poo, that's a deep cut.

(Still waiting on DC to release a modern Angel and the Ape comic...)

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

I like Harley Quinn a whole bunch.

That trailer is not something I think I like.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

SlothfulCobra posted:

Somehow Batman was the last cartoon allowed to have realistic guns for a long time.

It's because they went for the 1920s aesthetic and were able to argue that no child is going to just find a tommy gun lying around somewhere in their house. :allears:

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Halloween Jack posted:

It would be nice if DC could actually get all of their own content on their own platform.

It'd be nice if they'd get their poo poo together and release a drat PS4 app. :argh:

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

It's amazing how they keep finding worse and worse designs for Harley.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Is Teen Titans Go To The Movies on DCU? Because as far as I’m concerned that’s a top five DC film and if it’s there you should totally check it out.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

They’re TV movies but both of the Teen Titans Go ‘Night Begins to Shine’ specials are really something awesome.

TTG rules is what I’m trying to say, basically.

MorningMoon posted:

The follow up movie, TTGvsTT isn't at teh same level as Go To The Movies, but it's still pretty good.

I watched that last night and enjoyed it a bunch. I wasn’t expecting a lot of the emotional beats for Raven and came out pleasantly surprised.

And then I learned it’s apparently the lowest grossing animated DC film. Shame, that is.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Gods and Monsters was neat and I’m surprised it never got any kind of a follow up.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Android Blues posted:

I just like that Terry is being acknowledged. Batman Beyond continuation when!

There's been several attempts at continuing it in the comics and it never turns out well.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

The worst Batman Beyond comic attempt put Tim Drake into the suit and, well, gently caress that poo poo.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Skwirl posted:

Doesn't she carry a gun in the comic?

That's Simon Baz. He was introduced a little bit before Jessica.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

This was a classic I was always sad that it dropped away from its longtime companion, It’s the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown, and disappeared from tv, even though it’s obviously younger by a decade or more.

Lorenzo Music is probably the greatest cartoon voice to me. He’s at least in the top three.

Don't worry. The Peanuts specials are disappearing from TV too! :sigh:

https://www.newsday.com/entertainment/tv/peanuts-specials-apple-tv-plus-1.50044452

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Gaz-L posted:

I think they're trying to make it clear 'THERE IS A TWIST' without actually showing it, although even not knowing the source material I'm sure most people can guess what it is.

I'll bite. What's the twist? It's obvious there's one but I've got no idea what it actually is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Lurdiak posted:

There's a couple great episodes but it's the weakest DCAU show by a mile (unless you rightfully count New Adventures as a separate show).

The Zeta Project is laughing at you.