Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

Vandar posted:

The 90s show was iconic.

That doesn't make it *good* though.

I've come to accept that I'm a weirdo whose distaste for Evolution is probably at least partially tied into a distaste for the whole Smallville-y teen soap opera metagenre, but I'll take the 90s show's frequently terrible animation and delightfully over the top writing over that stuff that Evo was doing any day of the week

And I'd still rate Wolverine & The X-Men and the 90s cartoon (in all it's warty glory) over stuff like the endless string of generic kids TV that Man of Action pumps out or like, all those bad DC DTV animated movies

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

NikkolasKing posted:

Tony Jay was Galactus in the bad FF cartoon. Him and Ghost Rider are the only things anybody remembers from the cartoon and rightfully so.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=amUJOeuxpXE

Not the ONLY things

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=38VBv0ZenZU

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
Most of the DTV-poo poo is either nu52 nonsense, bad adaptations of classics, or bad adaptations of Batman stories that could charitably be described as classics with quotation marks

Also, there was a shortage of Barry and Hal in Kingdom Come, and you-know-who probably don't like that

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
It's kinda funny because in a less chaotic time you would just assume this is gonna be on HBO Max but now, shiiit maybe it'll be streaming exclusively on Crackle

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
Polygon Pictures has made so many middling projects that their name alone was enough to kill my anticipation for this'un

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
From what I can tell Suicide Squad is being produced entirely in Japan first, but the Spider-Man show could just be PP handling the animation side.

Honestly if this is all stuff that has just been settled on in the last few months or so it's a bit hosed up that they announced the series as early as they did!

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

Air Skwirl posted:

I watched the DVD commentary (god I miss those) for World's Finest and I guess Tim Daly (Superman) recorded his dialogue, at least in the scenes they shared, along with Kevin Conroy and Bruce Timm said he thought working with Conroy really elevated Daly's game.

He's nowhere near as iconic as Conroy's Batman, but Daly is still the Superman voice to me. To the point I had a hard time getting into Justice League at first.

Daly's Superman is good but I think Newbern gets the juicier material on account of Superman getting into all those hijinks in Justice League stemming from the massive chip on his shoulder from the events of Legacy

Also Newbern was Sephiroth for a long time, which I continue to be amused by, despite the role being recast to some other guy who is also Superman sometimes

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
Y'know, I've been pretty critical about the way that DC's DTV movies have looked from the get-go, but I have to imagine these are also going to be in the new style that they've been using lately, and the idea of Watchmen looking super clean with chunky lines is making my brain bug out

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
I dunno if this is something that was specifically mentioned in the pre-release or something, but is Lois Korean in this? Her formalware at Ivo Tower kinda pointed in that direction and now General Lane's character design looks like cartoon Ma Dong-seok

This newest episode was probably the one I liked the most so far, but I am kind of disappointed that the hot anime boy ended up being Deathstroke. It'd be one thing if there was already a grizzled cartoon hardass in the show and they were doing a different take for contrast's sake, but there is none, so as a result this just feels like they hit him with a Voltron(2016) ray.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
I mean, for all intents and purposes, he's punishing people in the name of the sun

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
At first I thought it was a bit odd that there were no Loises that we recognized, but that became a bit more self evident quickly enough

It's tempting to assume that they're just lovely, but if you think about it, anyone who has dealt with an evil Superman--especially if their first Superman was an evil one--would probably have a hair trigger when dealing with him in general. But the fact that there was only a handful of them in the entire multiverse probably speaks to the number of Loises who probably told them to piss off.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
Seeing Superman get exhausted and sleep deprived is neat. At this point in the comics I think he usually just flies into the sun if he gets tired or something.

I'm really curious how (if?) Alex is going to become Lex Luthor. Going from Ivo's not-particularly-glamarous-engineer-guy to Superman's archenemy would be a hell of a glow up.

Also, is Ivo going to still build Amazo now that he's Parasite? Does Amazo serve a purpose in a story where the Justice League doesn't exist(yet)?

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
Something I forgot to mention last week: It's a little weird that General Lane is a, well, General? Yet he was on the ground like an enlisted during the aborted Krypton invasion and Waller is able to rope him into doing cloak and dagger poo poo instead of him just being re-assigned to some other general thing.

Alternately, Waller has such ludicrous amounts of power in this setting that she could make the "President? You know how much power I'd have to give up if I was president" speech

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
I mean, my biggest impression of her is from the comics, and there it's less than she's inexplicably powerful and more that she just has leverage on a comical amount of power players by virtue of taking care of all their dirty work

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

MorningMoon posted:

I really feel Connors and Eddie are kind of just dicks. The former risks so much on the The Lizard research, and the latter, even when he's on 100% good terms with Peter, spends a few scenes putting him down. When Peter suggest the gene cleanser to cure Connors, Eddie starts talking about how that's dumb before Connors' wife injects that it could work, and Eddie likes to bring up how he's the one protecting Peter. When Eddie is laid off he sure takes it out most on Connors' wife, too.

It is without a question the best version of Eddie Brock because you can both see him being the kind of dick that bad guy Venom would be as well as the hints of nobility that could lead him to eventually being a Lethal Protector. Not necessarily tragic, but more nuanced than the usual good guy/bad guy (or antihero/bad guy) dynamic which feels more like the flip of a switch. Hell, in Axis it was literally that.

That show has the best version of a lot of Spider-Man characters. Spider-Gwen is nice and all but she's so distinct from original recipe Gwen Stacy that it feels a bit daft to make the comparison, and the Spectacular version of Gwen is distinctly classic Gwen with just enough adjustments to make her actually interesting and likeable. Also, if Peter had gotten married to this version of MJ only for their relationship to be dissolved in a handrwringy overbooked retcon, I'd be as mad as the people who still won't shut up about it to this day!

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

Lobok posted:

The one misstep of that show was Kraven, though. I didn't really care for how the show lionized him (heh) so it's looking like the game will feature a better version.

The best version of Kraven is the hunter guy from Batman Beyond anyway

The era where a barrel chested Russian oligarch is an intimidating archetype was long gone even by the time I was a kid!

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
I don't wanna bully the dead, but the level of downgrade from Spectacular Spider-Man to Young Justice is kind of baffling, considering how much of the same talent is involved+the legacy of DC cartoons (at least, the TV ones)

I'm gonna blame Geoff Johns for this somehow

I wonder what Weisman is gonna work on next

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
The Young Justice comics had more in common with the Teen Titans show and YJ with the Teen Titans comics, ironically

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

Vandar posted:

‘Tim is boring’.

Modern Tim maybe because DC has hosed around with him for so long.

Tim needs a reinvention on the level of what Dick went through when Nightwing stopped being the guy who screamed at Batman about "NOT LIVING IN YOUR SHADOW, MAN!" every time they meet up. He can't be Robin anymore because that's Damian, even though Damian as Robin with Bruce as Batman kind of sucks.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
i'm just angry that isekai has solidified enough as a concept in English that wb feels comfortable putting it in the title of a DC thing

then again they also made a RWBY crossover so maybe DC is now where Scooby Doo used to be

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

MorningMoon posted:

the model work and the post-processing is incredible, amazing work

it animates like poo poo

The thing is, the original show was pretty ugly pretty often too, so on balance it creates a kind of nonequivalent balance in terms of overall aesthetic

to me at least

I'll be honest, none of Marvel Studio's animated stuff has looked particularly good. I'd describe What If as serviceable. Maybe that'll change with Spider-Man? But this looks good enough to watch, just like What If was, and the fact that it comes from ugly heritage means it bothers me even less

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
if the real world is any indicator there'd probably be a sizeable, loud, if maybe still ineffective crowd of humans who support mutant rights

The mutant ethnostate solution is kinda garbage in a vacuum, but I think it works in context because they keep getting killed en mass, and the only people that object are a handful of other non-mutant superheroes and human X-Men allies. The line was in a particular dire space (both quality wise and universe-wise) right before HOXPOX too.

I've just finished a re-read of Immortal Hulk and am struck by how the Hulk(s) also have an arguably undeserved bad reputation, given his minimal bodycount, yet every now and then he gets a reprieve in the court of public opinion, whereas the general sentiment with mutants never seems to stray far from "gently caress em". There's probably something to be explored about why Hulk and mutantkind aren't better allies, too, considering how part of the reason Banner's dad treated him like garbage essentially from the day he was born and created the psychological goo that the Hulks emerged from was anti-mutant paranoia.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

Air Skwirl posted:

I think human history has given me plenty of explanations why a minority might be unfairly scapegoated and targeted for violence with no logical reason.

The mutant metaphor really falls apart when it can either be the equivalent of being born with a debilitating, disfiguring physical condition or the practical equivalent of being a super rich trust fund baby.

I'm kind of surprised we don't see more inter-sectarian conflict between mutant groups because of it, to be honest. There were the Morlocks but Storm beat Callisto in a knife fight and they fall fell in line (even if some of them like Marrow felt bitter about it). Most of the time it's strictly limited to "Co-existence good" or "co-existence bad"

Hell, I'm surprised there isn't' a whole swath of people in the Marvel Universe, mutants and otherwise, who are freak assed paranoid about psychics considering how dubious they can be. We've got Professor Charles "The ends don't justify the means, except when I say they do, which I do often" Xavier, Emma "Yeah I blew up a horse what of it?" Frost, Jean "Constantly under the influence of an entity beyond human comprehension" Grey, and Quentin "school shooter" Quire, and that's among the good guys

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
For some reason this even-more-retro look than the original animated series had is weirding me out

although it may almost entirely be that golden age Catwoman design. Are we gonna get yellow bodysuit and purse Batwoman too?

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
I always assumed the blue/black thing was the same as it is with Venom, where it was always meant to be black but ended up blue due to 1) The choice of colors used for highlights due to a mix of aesthetics and printing tech at the time 2) People assuming the inverse as a result (blue with black shadows instead of black with blue highlights)

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
I feel like there was a lot of pent up frustration getting released in X-Men 97 in terms of making Cyclops and Storm (and Magneto, but he didn't need as much help) look really loving cool with how they used their powers

It's probably not absolute top shelf TV animation quality, but I would say it's the best a Marvel show has looked. Spectacular Spider-Man gets a higher score for consistency but X-Men 97 has more "oh poo poo" moments

As far as the writing, it's the old show but better. Not SEISMICALLY better, I don't know if it's going to be competing with the DCAU or Avengers EMH or anything, but it was good enough to be a hoot for me. The voice actors do sound their age in a lot of cases, but they don't quite sound bad enough to make me pound my fists on the table and demand a re-casting. The Sunbow connection almost makes me wonder what this same crew would do with GI Joe or Transformers.

Roberto wearing a brand X version of the jacket from Drive is perfect

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
Man considering what they did with Magneto in episode 2 I started thinking about what's likely coming with Sinister and Apocalypse and now I'm vibrating with excitement

This is the most positive feelings I've had for superhero TV since EMH went off the air

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

Diabetic posted:

I didn't realize Inferno was sort of a Dark Crystal reference and I had this show have to point it out to me.

This latest X-Men 97 episode dipped into the "this isn't really for kids to watch and it's more for the people that grew up with this" territory.

You'd be surprised how much kids don't mind stuff like "laying out the entire story from scratch so that anyone can follow it with ease" and "women dressing like sexy halloween witches"

or maybe I was just a weird kid

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
If this show sticks around to get into Hope Summers stuff, it's going to be interesting to see how the new Bishop/Cable dynamic works out

Although looking back it's weird how being raised by a highly religious sisterhood somehow turned Nathan into a slightly less murderous, considerably more blinged out Punisher

Then again Frank is Catholic, so

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
It's weird that we have a clone of Peter Parker and a clone of a strong redheaded woman who both share the circumstances of being cloned by evil super scientists in an elaborate scheme to supplant their genetic progenitor that ultimately resulted in a baby that was lost to the annals of history, but she's going out with Havok instead

I'm not saying clones oughta date clones but what does Alex have that Ben doesn't??? Especially lately. His stock's hit an all time low with that M-word tirade and things haven't really improved for him since

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

Gaz-L posted:

So... about X-Men not pulling from Morrison or later... (I definitely thought they weren't going to)

Let's be real, there's kinda slim pickins between where the show ended and where New X-Men begins.

Although given that the original show already had a diet Fatal Attractions, I wonder if we're going to get a different take on boneless Wolverine and the Xavier/Magneto whammy that creates Onslaught

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

NikkolasKing posted:

Wolverine in '97 is one of the more consistent complaints I've seen. I haven't watched the show but apparently it has been nothing but "mope about Jean" since the start. Sure, TAS Wolverine did that, too, but it wasn't all he did.

But somebody on CBR theorizes that losing his adamantium skeleton is something '97 can actually do now and that Wolverine will shine in the finale. We shall see.

I get the feeling the show is trying to pull back from Wolverine being quite the spotlight hog that he is in so much X-Media. And understandably so. But that does mean that what he IS given to do is mostly ancillary to Jean and Scott, which people have had thirty years to get sick of.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
It doesn't help that he's probably having a top 3 worst periods in his life, what with the clone wife and the techno-organically infected baby

Although using big scale Mutant Things to avoid dealing with his personal life would be very Cyclops

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

NikkolasKing posted:

https://youtu.be/wmdzn1uig1k

Two-Face was always my favorite Batman villain. He was even my favorite part of Dark Knight while everyone went crazy for Ledger Joker.

But re-watching this clip, I'm reminded of how Batman TAS, at least to my recollection, had this weird retro or noir vibe. Whenever he was dealing with gangsters or Two-Face here, it all felt like it was taking place in the past, closer to when his parents were killed. Is that an accurate memory and assessment/ Like, maybe it's the music, the sound effects for the guns, the choice of language used - all of it gives an old -school gangster feel.

Maybe that atmosphere, so very unique to a superhero cartoons, is why it has such a powerful legacy. Even other DCAU shows with Batman can't capture it.

I dunno, original recipe BTAS distinct aesthetic is very nice and all but I don't think New Gotham Adventures and JLU suffer for not having it

And then along comes Batman Beyond which has a very unique visual identity that is great, and part of the reason that every attempt to re-visit it has failed miserably (those comics are so bad, holy poo poo)

Basically a good thing about the DCAU is that they managed to really capture how versatile the characters could be, which makes the fact that so many of the DTV animated movies that came out later were samey bullshit almost comically sad

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
X-Men 97 theory: I think this version of Bastion is Graydon Creed

My data points:
-Friends of the Humanity focus in the first episode, who were toting new, Sentinel-derived tech
-Rogue and Nightcrawler focus recently, with Mystique potentially lurking in the wings having impersonated Valerie Cooper
-Sinister makes this Bastion seem like a known quantity from the old show, Bastion himself talks about how he's "evolved." There's been an undercurrent of jealousy to Creed's anti-mutant bigotry due to who his family is, so turning into a killer cyborg from hell would probably be really appealing to him.
-Getting mauled by Sabretooth (Graydon's implied fate in his last appearance of the old show) would make him a prime candidate to being rebuilt into a cybernetic Sentinel.
-The scenes with Magneto and Gyrich in this episode were some real serial killer poo poo. Y'know who's dad was a serial killer???
-Let's be honest, there's only a handful of notable anti-mutant human bigots, and the guy who turned into Bastion originally was a bit of a nothingburger

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

BizarroAzrael posted:

Haha, I was just thinking they might bring in 90s Spiderman TAS JJJ for his stuff with Bastion and them maybe asking Keaton to be Spidey if they can't get CD Barnes since he always sends to be up to play a spider guy.

Sadly Ed Asner passed away in 2021

You know what that means: someone get JK Simmons on speed dial

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

NikkolasKing posted:

In X-Men TAS, do we ever see the "school" part of the Xavier School? My memory of the show is far from perfect but I feel like it's just superhero stuff. We never see any younger mutants or learning or anything.

I was thinking about this because so many TAS fans like me used to hate Evolution. Why? The younger cast and going to school were lame.. But I'm wondering if actual comic book readers were more amenable to Evolution because, you know, that wouldn't be out of place to them like it was to us where we just got superheroes go save the world all the time.

To me the issue with Evolution was never "they're kids" as much as "they're the most milquetoast over-xeroxed Archie-rear end thrice-reheated leftover version of kids you ever did see". On top of how weird it is to see Wolverine and Storm acting as mentors to Jean and Scott, not including any of the actual "young mutant" coded characters (THERE'S A LOT OF THEM) other than Kitty, and the fact that the Brotherhood of Evil Mutants were basically the Gangrene Gang from Powerpuff Girls

Evo always felt like a high school fanfiction AU writ large to me as opposed to "a younger version of the X-Men." But I know a lot of people love it. Lot of people love high school alternate universe fanfiction, too, though.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
Huh, now that I think about it, Feilong and my theory for who the new cartoon Bastion is kind of have a bit in common specifically post-human cybernetics and a murderous hatred for their mutant parents

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

NikkolasKing posted:

Also reflecting on this, plus watching some old X-men TAS episodes vs. '97 episodes, there's just such a different tone between the 90s Marvel cartoons, the DCAU, and X-Men '97. I'm not sure how to put it into words but while I do enjoy 90s Spiderman and X-Men, something about the presentation or tone is wildly, wildly different from the above clip or X-Men '97. It's not quality - there is quality to be found in the TAS shows, just.... different, so very different from the DCAU.

A lot of the unique identity of the DCAU shows, as my brain understands it, stems from them being the non-comedy outgrowth of the TV animation war that started between Disney and Warners in the late 80s. Ducktales showed up and kinda re-jiggered the standards for TV cartoons in America, which resulted in WB (the second most popular animation brand in America) teamed up with Spielberg and a killer's row of talent for Tiny Toons, many of whom would go on to produce BTAS and it's progeny

Marvel's shows in comparison felt a lot more orthodox which was probably down to how they were created. X-Men was a good show at the time, maybe even is a good show in general depending on the episode you watch, but it felt more like an evolution of existing stuff like GI Joe and G1 Transformers than the whole new animal that Batman was.

If I was feeling optimistic, I'd wonder about X-Men 97 signaling another shift in the kind of superhero cartoons being produced for "TV", but years of hokum have kind of depleted my hype meter. Well, that combined with Polygon Pictures producing the new Spider-Man show and WBD shrugging so hard that the retro-styled new Batman show ended up in Amazon's hands. At least we've still got cute anime Superman.