Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Honestly, the first segment just felt like a whole different movie. A lovely movie but a different movie.

They could've just made a, I don't know, Batman vs Batgirl or something stupid like that. Killing Joke would've been like 30 minutes long without all that and be better for it.

Wasn't Batman: Year One beat for beat from the comic anyway? Why not do that with Killing Joke and just have it shorter?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x1pLFw2vi5E
..wow that hulk stuff was not as interesting looking as i hoped. How do they not have better-looking animation when they're under Disney??

This feels just as bland as AA does. I fully expect it to be AA just longer, I guess.

I've no hope at all for Marvel's Spider-Man. I will say though, Slott probably won't make every goddamn thing be about the symbiote. He'll just try to make his own Mary Sue villains instead in some huge event that flops hard towards the end. Or just does a weird 180 and Spider-Man starts killing people like with Superior Spider-Man.

Though, he's gotta be a better writer than whoever wrote the Ultimate Spider-Man episodes...who's that Man of Action or something?

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

I think they all did, just not the very first episode. At least Spider-Man TAS and Spectacular Spider-Man's origin episodes were both deep within a season (Spectacular's was in the last episode of season 1 I think).

I remember ones for the old 80s shows too.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

ZDar Fan posted:

Yeah, I think it was the second season of Spider-Man and His Amazing Friends that did an origin episode for each of the titular characters. Iceman's episode had them visit the X-Men in the non-flashback portion, where Wolverine inexplicably had an Australian accent.

That episode is the very first thing that got me into Spider-Man, actually. hah I remember renting it from Blockbuster and had it for weeks.

I feel like I should see if I could find those episodes again. Didn't they get put on Blu-Ray or something recently? Or at least a full series DVD?

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Roth posted:

Director is saying on twitter that the ad is misleading and he hates the pairing.

He didn't say it was misleading, just that he didn't like the pairing either and told people to "just wait" when people said they wouldn't see the movie because of it.

Though, he also said that the movie should rank between Batman Forever and Batman and Robin for expectations. :v:

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

purple death ray posted:

We can all agree that Mystery of the Batwoman was garbage, right?

All I really remember is it's the last time Bob Costanza did Bullock's voice.

Also I really liked Cherie's "Betcha Neva". This is really the only reason I liked the movie.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Lurdiak posted:

The really awkward scene where they play some real life pop song as Bruce and one of the women dance is so out of place.

Just watched the movie yesterday, this didn't actually happen.

It was random people dancing to the song with Bruce and Kathleen walking to be seated in the Iceberg Lounge. The dancing wasn't really that bad. They were going for a sort of dance club with fine dining type feel. It's Oswald...he'd probably be down for that.

Still like the song though. haha

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

SonicRulez posted:

This right here. For instance, I like the Ultimate Spider-Man change to Peter's origin by making the spider genetically engineered rather than radioactive and making the webs part of his super powers. However, I also like that BTAS just plunges into Batman. No need to spend an episode (or worse, a two parter) on The Waynes being shot.

Ultimate Spider-Man never had organic webbing, those were a creation of Sam Raimi's Spider-Man movie series which Marvel tried to (crappily) adapt into the original 616 Marvel universe with Spider-Man: The Other.

Ultimate Spider-Man never had organic webbing except for when he got the symbiote for a few issues. Then the webbing came from his fingertips.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

notthegoatseguy posted:

616 Spider-Man actually obtained organic webbing during some lovely crossover event in Spider-Man: Disassembled.

You're right, for some reason I thought it was The Other. That one was when Morlun showed up...and around the same time I stopped reading Spider-Man. :v:

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

That is not entirely accurate. Both examples you mention are things that happen on their respective sequels, Another Nail and Crimson Mist. The Nail doesn't show any serious consequence about Batman murdering the Joker beside hurting his reputation. That as the story reveals later, was a set up on which Batman walked right in. Red Rain on the other hand ends with Bruce asking Alfred to killing him after doing the deed with the Joker and is only due Alfred and Gordon's actions that things go so wrong on Crimson Mist.

Anyways, I was talking of this

What comic / issue is this?

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Unmature posted:

The ugliest comic in the world

How unmature of you.

I'm not sorry for that joke.

To be honest, I'm not really big into the Bat comics, I'm more into Marvel. The comic DT posted may be awful but it's not Dan Slott and I'm ok with that.

I hated some of the art in No Man's Land so...maybe I'm slightly terrible too.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9t4EuOMiKSQ

Clip of the new Spider-man cartoon. The CG assets look garbage, but I really dig the rest. The super simplistic backgrounds look rather good (love that exterior shadows are blue) and help the characters pop, which is extra good since they're emoting fairly well. I can see this being good.

This animation is the worst I've seen in a very, VERY long time.

Wow...

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

I like the commentary from Spidey, I like the homemade suit, I like the fluid movement, and I even liked the metro card joke. He WOULD be nerdy enough (at least as a teen anyway) to obey the laws when he's in a super dire situation like that. Then him getting tackled through anyway was amusing.

But those backgrounds. Those are so bad that, once I noticed them, it ruined pretty much everything else for me. I seriously hope that's not a final clip or something. They could've at least slapped some outlines on things...and a teeny bit more detail. I get they wanted to focus on the action and the forefront but still...

Also what exactly did Spider-Man slam into there? Air? The ground? A tree? I have no idea and it seems like the animators didn't either.

I did notice the homemade suit has no spider emblem yet. I think that's a nice touch. If you're going to make a homemade suit out of clothes AND you're really eager to run around in it, you're not gonna try to make an emblem.. Especially if you might suck at sewing.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ChDGYRBR8GI

It actually looks decent. Better than Ultimate Spider-Man at least.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

purple death ray posted:

I'm a little surprised they bothered to put slightly different drivers in all those identical cgi taxis. That looks freaking terrible

Not sure where you live, but where I live, all the taxis look the same with different drivers. :v:

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Skwirl posted:

I watched every episode and tapped out of Ultimate Spider-Man after 2 episodes, but I was a teenager when the former came out and an adult when the later did.

MTV Spider-Man also has the advantage of not being the reason Spectacular Spider-Man was cancelled.

Ultimate Spider-Man isn't the reason either.

quote:

Michael J. Eilen writes...
Hey greg, my name is Michael. I was a huge fan of your spectacular spiderman series. And I'm not sure if you're gonna know the answer to my question or not, but I'm just gonna shoot for it. Question: Do you have any idea why Marvel canceled it? I mean, both season 1 and 2 had decent reviews and many fans liked it. So, I gotta ask,Do you have any idea why Marvel made that decision.
Greg responds...

Marvel DIDN'T cancel it.
It's all very complicated, and we were certainly the recipients of bad corporate luck, but no single company cancelled the series. We just wound up with a situation where no single company could proceed with it.
I'll try to break it all down:

1. Sony had originally produced SpecSpidey as part of their overall entertainment license of the Spidey property (which of course included the extremely lucrative live action films).

2. But in order to win some concession on those live action feature films, Sony returned the animation rights to the character back to Marvel.

3. So now only Marvel could produce a Spider-Man cartoon. Sony no longer could, which meant SpecSpidey couldn't continue at Sony.

4. I have no idea whether Marvel was interested in continuing Spectacular Spider-Man or not. But let's assume for the sake of argument that they would have liked to.

5. They couldn't.

6. Why? Because Sony owned all the specific elements (designs, storyline, etc.) to the SpecSpidey VERSION of Spider-Man. So Marvel would have had to license all that BACK from Sony.

7. You can imagine how unlikely THAT scenario was. Marvel finally gets the rights back to do an animated version of their marquee character, and then they have to pay Sony to do it instead of just starting from scratch. That was never going to happen.

8. Of course, all this was complicated by the fact that Disney purchased Marvel, and Disney and Sony are direct competitors.

9. And I'm sure Marvel was excited to put their own stamp on an animated Spider-Man. Who could blame them?

10. So that was it. We were toast through no fault of our own. The folks at Marvel, Sony and even Disney all seemed to like our show, but the corporate mess made it impossible for us to continue.

11. And, yes, it is a bummer. (For me, at least.) But it's no single person or single company's fault. It's just how things shook out.

12. And finally, though I have no involvement with the upcoming Ultimate Spider-Man, you can't deny that a lot of great people have worked on it. There's no reason to think it won't be as good or better than SpecSpidey. To a certain generation, SpecSpidey will always be THEIR Spider-Man cartoon. But to a new batch o' viewers, I'm sure their Spidey of choice will be the Ultimate.

http://s8.org/gargoyles/askgreg/search.php?qid=14223

Basically, it boils down to Marvel can't continue it as Sony owns the show and Disney wouldn't let them buy the rights from Sony, Sony can't continue it because they don't own the rights to air Spider-Man cartoons anymore, and Disney can't continue it because Sony owns the show itself and Disney is (was?) apparently a direct competitor to Sony so they'd never pay them money to buy the rights of the show.

Though, with them working together to get Spider-Man in the MCU, who knows if they could bring it back anytime soon. Most likely, they'll just go ahead with Marvel's Spider-Man (both on PS4 and TV, hah).

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

TFRazorsaw posted:

so all of the Origins shorts for Marvel's Spider-man got leaked or something.

The first five are pretty light hearted, Peter discovering his powers, deciding to wrestle (the wrestler is Bonesaw, like in the Raimi movies), and then the sixth one...

Peter talks about the trophy he won, points out it's made of "three different kinds of metal"

"You know what else is made of three different types of metal?"

so uh, this show'll probably be a bit more grown up than Ultimate Spider-man

They weren't leaked, they all showed up On Demand. Everyone else just has to wait until the end of the week on YouTube to see them all. I think the second one should be up today?

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

TFRazorsaw posted:

ah.

well then.

anyway the episodes also have a cool rear end Scarlet Spider redesign cameo that needs to exist in the comics right loving now:

Hope that shows up in the PS4 game.

Hell, I hope they didn't think that the first short that they uploaded a month ago was good enough and didn't skip today..

This whole "on demand" thing sucks.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

ZDar Fan posted:

https://youtu.be/qIsklYi7loc

I see people referring to the Spider-man shorts as being "on-demand"; what site or app are they on-demand from?

All six shorts are already out on YouTube (plus a new trailer, I think), but Disney uploaded them a week early on their website for DisneyXD (http://disneyxd.disney.com/) and on the app for DisneyXD.

You need to have a digital cable or satellite package that includes Disney XD to unlock the streaming of full episodes that aren't on TV yet.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Calaveron posted:

That dude's pig voice just has to be everywhere huh

Uh...what? Why do you hate him?

I mean I feel like this is opening Pandora's box...but you're legitimately the first person I've heard that actually seems to dislike him.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

howe_sam posted:

I saw a clip of this scene on YouTube. She's in the process of seducing Dick, who she has tied up against his will on her bed. It's all very :stonk:

I'm watching it right now.

It's just as awkward as you'd think...I mean Batman's response and the aftermath was amusing...but the joke wasn't really worth it.

That being said, it's still a funny movie...the tone is weird and kind of preachy when Ivy and Woodrue are on the screen but...it's not bad...yet? I'm only halfway through though.

Harley's voice actress is nicer than Tara Strong's version at least. Hers is pretty screechy at times.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

ToastyPotato posted:

The only rumor/theory/fact floated around for YJ that I ever saw as a fan was that YJ was cancelled because it was not popular enough among young boys despite being fairly popular with girls and that this translated into poor toy sales.

That came from Paul Dini during Kevin Smith's Fatman on Batman podcast:

quote:

DINI: "They're all for boys 'we do not want the girls', I mean, I've heard executives say this, you know, not [where I am] but at other places, saying like, 'We do not want girls watching this show."

SMITH: "WHY? That's 51% of the population."

DINI: "They. Do. Not. Buy. Toys. The girls buy different toys. The girls may watch the show—"

SMITH: "So you can sell them T-shirts if they don't—A: I disagree, I think girls buy toys as well, I mean not as many as f***ing boys do, but, B: sell them something else, man! Don't be lazy and be like, 'well I can't sell a girl a toy.' Sell 'em a T-shirt, man, sell them f***ing umbrella with the f***ing character on it, something like that. But if it's not a toy, there's something else you could sell 'em! Like, just because you can't figure out your job, don't kill chances of, like, something that's gonna reach an audi—that's just so self-defeating, when people go, like… these are the same fuckers who go, like, 'Oh, girls don't read comics, girls aren't into comics.' It's all self-fulfilling prophecies. They just make it that way, by going like, 'I can't sell 'em a toy, what's the point?'

DINI: "That's the thing, you know I hate being Mr. Sour Grapes here, but I'll just lay it on the line: that's the thing that got us cancelled on Tower Prep, honest-to-God was, like, 'we need boys, but we need girls right there, right one step behind the boys'—this is the network talking—'one step behind the boys, not as smart as the boys, not as interesting as the boys, but right there.' And then we began writing stories that got into the two girls' back stories, and they were really interesting. And suddenly we had families and girls watching, and girls really became a big part of our audience, in sort of like they picked up that Harry Potter type of serialized way, which is what The Batman and [indistinct]'s really gonna kill. But, the Cartoon Network was saying, 'F***, no, we want the boys' action, it's boys' action, this goofy boy humor we've gotta get that in there. And we can't—' and I'd say, but look at the numbers, we've got parents watching, with the families, and then when you break it down—'Yeah, but the—so many—we've got too many girls. We need more boys.'"

SMITH: "That's heart-breaking."

DINI: "And then that's why they cancelled us, and they put on a show called Level Up, which is, you know, goofy nerds fighting CG monsters. It's like, 'We don't want the girls because the girls won't buy toys.' We had a whole… we had a whole, a merchandise line for Tower Prep that they s***canned before it ever got off the launching pad, because it's like, 'Boys, boys, boys. Boys buy the little spinny tops, they but the action figures, girls buy princesses, we're not selling princesses.'"

https://io9.gizmodo.com/paul-dini-superhero-cartoon-execs-dont-want-largely-f-1483758317

It's episode 52 but I can't find it where it used to be linked.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Mister Kingdom posted:

And then they did this:

What episode was this from? Google Image Search only says it's Ben10. :v:

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

I'm actually really, really liking Marvel's Spider-Man. It's got it's own thing going and I'm okay with that. I think my favorite subtle joke is Otto trying to remove Harry Osborn's nameplate from the wall and he's too short so his first order to Peter is to take it down. :v:

Anya is a bitch and about time someone called her out on it. I want to see her reaction when she figures out who Spider-Man is. It'll probably just be even more cattiness. Is she even supposed to get a suit?

Why is Miles like...the dumb person who's also smart? He was saying the most aloof weird poo poo in the first few episodes...

Otto is just becoming my favorite character though.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

So, I just found out that the current spider-man cartoon massively leaks all over. The season finale is up on youtube, via a choppy leak of the hindu release. Someone recorded bits of episode 21 with their phone.

For the complaint that too many characters have spider-powers in the show: Episodes 20 and 21 are straight up Spider-Island. All of NYC gets spider powers and it's really fun how people just swing around.

There's the rumor of this and all Marvel Disney XD shows being cancelled. Unfortunately I could see this happening...

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Lurdiak posted:

I'm so sick of Tara Strong and Yuri Lowenthal.

Not sure who voiced Harley in Batman and Harley Quinn, but she was a breath of fresh air over Tara.

Her constant shrieking to try and emulate Arleen Sorkin is incredibly obnoxious and very hard on the ears.

Not sure why DC still uses her, to be honest.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Metalshark posted:

she drowned in The Beyonder's quicksand (I see what they did there...)

What did they do there? I've not caught up on the comics in a while.

Metalshark posted:

Hipster bearded dude dressed all in white, which is appropriate for now I suppose. There's a pic of him here: http://avengersassemble.wikia.com/wiki/Beyonder

The worst part about this are those suspenders. If you can warp reality, you can warp yourself a drat belt, good sir.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Quote is not edit.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

TheHan posted:

Disappointed Supergirl isn't in this to get punched so hard it turns her face into putty and traumatizes 10-year old me.

Say what now? I never actually read that comic..

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

poly and open-minded posted:

As an alum of Humboldt State University, CalArts can't have Stephen Hillenburg, creator of Spongebob. He's ours

You may keep him, it's okay. :v:

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Nodosaur posted:

Dude, even Mark Hamill has commented on the Jake Lloyd stuff being too much pressure for a kid. People who have known him have stated him to have been very troubled by the mere mention of Star Wars and his getting teased. The writing on the wall is there.

Except Jake Lloyd was bullied in school about his role so he quit long before his diagnosis.

As for Hayden Christensen, he's been acting for years now. His most recent role is in a movie called Little Italy. Also he might've gotten more Star Wars money as his voice was used in Star Wars: Rebels recently.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

https://www.newsarama.com/40294-dc-universe-streaming-service-planned-launch-month-revealed.html

DC expects to launch their streaming service in August 2018 and will also add comics as well. No one knows what comics.

The live action Swamp Thing, Titans, Doom Patrol, and Metropolis as well as the cartoons Young Justice: Outsiders and Harley Quinn are all in development to launch with it.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

TheHan posted:

The second season of Spider-Man hasn’t even aired yet though? They can’t kill another good Spider-Show.

Season 2 of Spider-Man aired on June 18th with a clip episode to explain away the summer and an episode that brought back Doc Ock in an obvious "I'm doing bad poo poo but I'll hide it" thing.

It's...not a good start, really.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

pubic works project posted:

Is this the Spider-Man where everyone is in weird science academies?

The one where every single person is as smart as Peter so the only thing that separates him from everyone else are his spider-powers? Yep, same one.

Also Miles is "Kid Arachnid" or something and he's incredibly stupid, despite being in the same science academy as Peter.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

MonsterEnvy posted:

Wasn't that a plot for a episode of the new series.

The season will air. But it's won't get another.

Where'd you find this information? All I'm seeing is rumors from like January that were debunked when the new seasons all were announced.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

USM was, to me, bad writing. The animation was....flat but decent, I guess? But the writing was just really forced jokes and people were upset because it began after Marvel and Disney were forced to cancel Spectacular Spider-Man. Since tons of people said they loved SSM, that show was fresh in their minds when USM began. To them, Marvel had their chance to make a great show in-house separate from Sony's influence...but, unlike their take on Spider-Man in the MCU, they ruined it by making him a Deadpool-lite so much so that the Deadpool episode made jokes that Spider-Man stole from DP and they needed to take Deadpool himself in another direction.

That being said, Marvel's Spider-Man is a decent show and the writing isn't AS bad...but it certainly can be at times.

I really don't think this is reliable at all, honestly. Like this place doesn't cite their sources or even the always mysterious "our sources say"...it's basically just a list of things without any rhyme or reason.

I would take it with a grain of salt.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

I tried to give USM a chance, I'd watch most of the episodes in Season 1 and I think 2...there were definitely some good ones like the episodes where Spider-Man had an adventure with one of his teammates and the teammate had to conquer a fear or insecurity and Spider-Man helped them. I remember the Luke Cage episode with his parents was kind of emotional.

The DP one was one of the series' best episodes and the last few where it's Spider-Verse forever were...okay? Also it gave us Donald Glover as Miles which is 10x better than whoever is playing him now as an idiot...even though Glover just sounded kinda bored.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

According to Weisman, Sony was given a choice between movie rights or TV, they chose movies. Disney wouldn't allow Marvel to continue the show so they cancelled it.

Weisman still refuses to give plot info for unreleased episodes because he thinks they'll probably pick it back up one day, I guess.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

TwoPair posted:

I'd call that stupid but then again Weisman got his Young Justice S3 years after cancellation so stranger things have happened.

Yes and Stranger Things had a better plot than the terrible, overly long time-jumpy plot of Young Justice S2. I'm glad it happened. :v:

In all seriousness though, that time jump was awful and we'll probably get another one since S3 has new costumes, new heroes, and we'll get no explanation for anything until 20 episodes in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Oh, the most recent Marvel's Spider-Man episode had Lady Ock and Doc Ock's "I'M SECRETLY EVIL HAHAHAHAHA" plan finally was revealed.

It took like...three episodes to finish that story arc, but I do like how they're kind of slowly building on Brock getting the symbiote. He hasn't had a speaking role yet, but he's always around in the background of the Bugle and Jameson is constantly saying how better Peter is at getting pictures of Spider-Man than he ever was which he gets pissed about.

...which is a really terrible motive for wanting to kill him when he gets the symbiote later this season (thanks to the trailer for season 2, it's very obvious) but...eh. It's better than "EVERYONE INCLUDING HULK AND ALL OF THE GUARDIANS ARE SYMBIOTES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" from Ultimate Spider-Man.