Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Unmature
May 9, 2008
Saw the movie in theaters last night because my dad is an idiot. Every scene with Barbara is there to exemplify how cockthirsty she is. The audience applauded at the end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unmature
May 9, 2008
This just in: Spergs on the internet don't understand artistic interpretation and will only take the author's intent as law, EXTREE EXTREE!

Unmature
May 9, 2008
He also could've intended that ending and just didn't explicitly spell it out I the script, possibly to get it past DC editorial.

Unmature
May 9, 2008

Lurdiak posted:

I'm sorry that makes you upset and makes you feel the need to call me names.

Everyone here calls you names.

Unmature
May 9, 2008
I've always disliked Batman as a character because of everything being said in this thread right now. Even (especially) by the people defending him.

Unmature
May 9, 2008

redbackground posted:

"Don't see any reason to try and prevent whatever tragedy is coming up, we'll just dance and poo poo for a night and then leave her be! You're on your own, Babs, nothing we can do! Bruce can just tell us what happened tomorrow. LET'S GET DRINKIN BITCHESSSSS"

The prime directive!

Unmature
May 9, 2008
The weirdest part of TKJ is that Joker goes so far out of his way to cripple and strip Barbara just to photograph her feet and shoulders.

Unmature
May 9, 2008

Franchescanado posted:

He doesn't, though? I just made a post about how the comic has her topless and has pics of her rear end.

In the movie. They don't even cover up a nude photo with Gordon's head or anything. It's just blatantly obvious that every photo is of her shoulders, feet, and face.

Unmature
May 9, 2008

Franchescanado posted:

Yeah, I also mentioned that in an earlier post.

:jerkbag:

Unmature
May 9, 2008
I often dislike Conroy's later Batman voice work. I think it's Andrea Ramano that made him so good. He always sounds wooden in these movies. Though I have no idea if she still works on these at all, I could be full of poo poo.

Unmature
May 9, 2008

ImpAtom posted:

To be fair he's also like 25 years older.

I'm talking about his performance, not the sound of his voice. Dan Castelanetta sounds different, but his performance as Homer is still great.

Unmature
May 9, 2008

ImpAtom posted:

In that case I think it's more that Conroy is good for a very specific kind of Batman. He is (more or less) compassionate-sounding. He can get angry or serious but when he does it is because someone has done something unforgivable rather than because it is his default state.

I watched a clip of the end of The killing joke and he completely nails the one moment he's genuinely talking to Joker and begging him to let him help him and I think that is because that is Conroy's strength. He absolutely rocks the compassionate element of Batman that is present in TAS. It's also why he is so frequently a poor fit for Arkham where Batman is kind of a poo poo. However him default to The Batman Actor means he gets cast even in stories where Batman lacks the compassion that Conroy can sell so hard.

Very good points. This is why I don't like him in the Arkham games or the Batman/Superman movies. I also don't like those games or movies, but that's not his fault.

Unmature
May 9, 2008

AlternateNu posted:

I always found the Legion of Siperheroes as an interesting case study in whether relatableness was really a driving issue. I don't really know how popular they were around their creation, but anecdotally, my father's favorite comic growing up was Ferro Lad of all people. :psyduck:

Old dudes love the LoSH

Unmature
May 9, 2008
I still hear Greg Brady's Spider-Man voice in my head when I read comics.

Unmature
May 9, 2008

Endless Mike posted:

Very little voice work is done with all the actors at once so while this may be true, it also has nothing to do with anything.

It still could be the case. Telecommunications weren't even close to what we have now then so recording at a distance was very difficult. They used to fly Bernadette Peters from NY to LA every time she had to record for Animaniacs.

Unmature
May 9, 2008
I made a video for my Youtube channel about the animation industry in 2016 and am so pissed I forgot to do a segment about how dire Killing Joke was. I saw it in the theater and still completely forgot it existed.

EDIT:
And I think Kevin Conroy is just straight up bad every time he's not directed by Romano.

Unmature
May 9, 2008
Yeah, I should say anything where he plays Batman.

Unmature
May 9, 2008
I never understand why people with a rep like BOL don't just spend the ten bucks on a new account and start fresh. Literally everything you say will be followed by a post saying "PLEASE IGNORE."

Unmature
May 9, 2008

Chaos Hippy posted:

Under the Red Hood predates the new 52 by about a year.

Nothing he said contradicts that.

Unmature
May 9, 2008

Reinanigans posted:

Why are all of the lovely (besides New Frontier) movies on Netflix, but NOT Under the Red Hood

Also, why haven't they gotten John DiMagio to play Joker again? Mark Hammill is great and all, but I thought DiMagio did a great job.

Because fanbaby neckbeards

Unmature
May 9, 2008

purple death ray posted:

I don't think it's satire. It is a movie of mostly very talented actors (as well as Chris O'Donnell and Alicia Silverstone) just going full ham and chewing the scenery and just having a great old time. It's really the closest thing to the Adam West series and their "special guest villains" who were Hollywood icons given the chance to just go nuts and act like a cartoon.

Is it a good movie, maybe not. But it is a good time.

I 100% agree with this. Batman and Robin is stupid and over the top and ridiculous and so much fun.

Though I will do you one more and say that Batman Forever is a genuinely good, fun, incredibly watchable action movie.

Unmature
May 9, 2008

Calaveron posted:

I can't remember, what was the justification for Bruce Wayne adopting a fully grown legal man?

Do you NOT wanna see 90s Val Kilmer and Chris O'Donnell gently caress?

Unmature
May 9, 2008

I would've been excited about this if they made it ten years ago when they announced it.

Unmature
May 9, 2008

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I've been working my way through Batman: TAS for the first time in a literal decade, and I was wondering why it hasn't gotten a Blu-Ray upgrade considering how popular it was? What little info I can find points to a few possible answers;

1) Bruce Timm doesn't want the upgrade as he sees the series as an homage to the Fleischer cartoons
2) The episodes were mastered on video and would require a monumental amount of restoration work (much like Star Trek: TNG)
3) The Justice League BDs sold poorly

Anyone know anything different?

Because anything even remotely niche won't sell. Nerds don't spend money unless it's on Funko Pops.

Unmature
May 9, 2008

purple death ray posted:

WE should probably stop reading this thread because I don't think anyone is making good superhero cartoons anymore and all I ever post in here is how much I don't like anything

Unmature
May 9, 2008
Batman is boring and lame.

Unmature
May 9, 2008

ThermoPhysical posted:

What comic / issue is this?

The ugliest comic in the world

Unmature
May 9, 2008
I liked the metro card bit.

Unmature
May 9, 2008
Teen Titans Go is great. Not liking a thing is fine, but grown up men on the Internet crusading against it always come off as weirdos. Just don't watch it.

Unmature
May 9, 2008
Wasn't that the FIRST one?

Unmature
May 9, 2008

X-O posted:

Wow. Edgy child murder humor you got there buddy. How about don't ever post anything like that again?

EDIT: Alright, alright

Unmature
May 9, 2008

MonsterEnvy posted:

Fun fact Flash Rebirth was an in universe Retcon. Barry actually had a pretty happy life for his entire run before his death. His parents were alive and everything. Thawne then decided to gently caress with him by doing poo poo like erasing his child hood friend from existence, and murdering his mom and framing his dad.

Pre rebirth and Professor Zoom's new background. Thawne hated Barry cause he went back in time to meet his idol Barry Allen, but did not go back far enough and so came to the past after Barry's death. Were in the Flash Meusem he found out that he was became Barry greatest enemy (Thawne did not find out in the future cause Profeessor Zoom's real name had been lost.) and died at Barry's hands due to his evil after attempting to murder his wife and holding another person hostage. Which caused him to go crazy and decide to destroy the Flash in any form.

Whoa I didn't know his old origin. That's pretty cool.

Unmature
May 9, 2008

Calaveron posted:

That dude's pig voice just has to be everywhere huh

I mean, you could ALSO go away.

Unmature
May 9, 2008

CharlestheHammer posted:

It doesn't, it just shits on the old fan base because it's funny and ultimately it's a comedy.

There is no deep message here and there shouldn't be.

Totally agreed. It's not a personal attack on anyone, it's a goofy cartoon show for kids and it loves being that.

Also, yeah it's super funny.

Unmature
May 9, 2008
I thought he was called Speedy because of his addictions

Unmature
May 9, 2008
I've seen the animated Spider-Man trailer in theaters twice in the last week and man it looks good. I get way more excited for that than the Infinity War trailer.

Imagine working on lovely DC animated direct to DVD films for ten years and then Marvel just drops that trailer on you.

Unmature
May 9, 2008

Skwirl posted:

Is it the same one that was released a few months back, or is there a second one?

It's similar but has some new stuff. Unless I just forgot that we see Peter in the first one.

Unmature
May 9, 2008

Heavy sigh

Unmature
May 9, 2008
Put all fans on a minecart into a dynamite pit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unmature
May 9, 2008
New TMNT looks so freakin' good. Can't wait.