Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Well, considering the source, it's more like girly homo.

Also I like Adora's civilian outfit being like a military uniform jacket with a little insignia patch. It's a neat update and actually makes her look a bit more like Adam than her 'classic' design, while calling back to the idea that she was basically in the fantasy SS before she got her memories and powers back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Yes, because the original show totally didn't feature Adora and her gay best friend moving to The Village a village in the forest where she could hang out with dozens of women who were 'unusual' like her.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

muscles like this! posted:

Something that bugs me about bringing back the older style Teen Titans series is that it doesn't look like they're updating the look at all and man, those character designs haven't really aged well.

Is it an actual revival, though, like Young Justice or Clone Wars or is it just a crossover with TTG? Because the designs looking dated would actually be a bonus for the latter as it's an opening for jokes.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

They've already done a joke with using old footage and talking about the old version of the show so this has to be something different.

I suppose it's less of a coup to do a crossover the way the last few TMNT shows did because TTG has literally the same cast as the old show.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
On a whim, I started watching that CG Iron Man cartoon that was a French co-production on Netflix... It's... Like, a bunch of the choices made in the premise are done well albeit they're bad choices to make. Like "what if Tony, Rhodey and Pepper are high school students, and so is the Mandarin and Madam Masque".

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Iron Monger is more what I'd say looks like Metal Gear. As in literally looks like Metal Gear Rex

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Bad choices well executed is a pretty good way to describe that Iron Man cartoon, yeah. Its ending is also pretty schlocky

I finished it and the thing that stood out the most to me is that they were clearly working towards "AVENGERS ASSEMBLE!" as a big moment in the finale, and were clearly told "NO" by the higher ups. They even planted Cap in the first Extremis episode and nothing more is said of it, which would've been fine as just some flavour, but every other episode in that season has some other hero going "Hey, Iron Man, thanks for helping me, if YOU ever need help, I'll be there!"

Also, was that show the first time Pepper's armour had it's own colour scheme? I remember when it was introduced in the comics and it was just a weirdly curvy Iron Man suit.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
It reminds me more of X-Men Evolution, where the premise reeks of someone in corporate going "it's a show for kids... make them teens at a regular high school!" and then the production team do their best, but start to rail against it. I guarantee if Armoured Adventures had gone for a 3rd season, they were going to ditch most of that premise and probably give Tony the beard and have something like his dad 'stepping back' from the company so it was basically just the Iron Man everyone knows.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I AM THE ROCKS OF THE ETERNAL SHORE! CRASH AGAINST ME AND BE BRRRRROKEN!

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
The black suit stuff aside, Barnes is a really good Spidey, and that show did as best it could given it was trying to do something akin to what X-Men did in adapting a bunch of stuff from the comics pretty directly, except Spider-Man doesn't have the advantage of having robots to fight most of the time, so you get the weird poo poo like 'Spider-Man can't land near birds because it might seem like he kicked a pigeon' and the NYPD having laser guns while over on Batman, you got Bats being shot at with tommy guns and poo poo.

Plus the weird choice to hold back Osborn until really late in the run so you have the Hobgoblin coming first. And the fact that the contemporary comics were kind of a mess, so they do poo poo like the clones and 6-armed Spidey. (Black Cat getting the super soldier serum does predate the more modern 'every frickin' experiment is an attempt to recreate Cap' trend, though.)

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Some producers of content for kids are convinced that if there's not dialogue at all times that the little darlings' eyes will glaze over and the TV magically shuts off.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

drrockso20 posted:

Gargoyles often had real guns too, even if it did also include plenty of more sci-fi stuff too(though it actually bothered to explain where that stuff came from rather than have it appear out of nowhere)

Gargoyles even went far enough to explain that the laser beams from their sci-fi guns weren't actually the thing doing the damage, but just for aiming the actual, invisible beam that was blowing stuff up

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Lobok posted:

Did Batman face off against Splinter? I saw some clips online of that movie and it looked like his bout with Shredder ended in a draw.

Splinter's not even in the movie. It's just the Turtles, Batman, Batgirl, Robin and Alfred, plus villains.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

ThermoPhysical posted:

2003 did Triceratons and City at War too. :v:

Eastman's also done this odd thing since he's been consulting with Nick where the time-travel girl is supposedly the same character across all the shows and comics, but just visiting different timelines.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Lurdiak posted:

Any resemblance to BTAS is entirely coincidental.

Let's ignore that like half of the best episodes are from that run.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Yes. They're rebranding it to DC Universe Infinite and focusing on the comic stuff, moving the delay to 6 months and everything TV just got moved over to HBO Max instead. I think the only TV show not making the move is Stargirl which is just going to be a straight up CW show next season. It is still going to be on HBO Max, just not going to premier on it.

The hilarious part was Marvel Unlimited announcing their delay was dropping to 3 months literally about a day after DC announced that.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
This is such a weird minor observation, but I just binged both seasons of Harley Quinn, and on top of really liking the show and loving Ivy (Lake Bell is a treasure), one thing jumped out at me as I glance back over the eps: Did they mess up and just not manage to get Katey Sagal to play Mrs Quinzel? The sitcom opening they do in that episode makes her look blatantly like Peggy Bundy and there's the meta joke that Sagal played Kaley Cuoco's mother on like 3 different shows.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

bessantj posted:

Ah, the cureall.

Or the cause.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

SlothfulCobra posted:

Was GI Joe similarly localized for other countries though? The UK is probably on the bottom of the list of countries that would be worried about the sudden arrival of US soldiers. Unless it was like within a few decades of 1800.

I think it was to minimize the jingoistic element and the military element. The original Joe dolls were call Action Man over here. And remember this was when we had weird rules that meant TMNT couldn't use the word Ninja or have Mikey use his nunchaku.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

catlord posted:

I think the first season's issue was that the toyetic bits were, as you say, a bit heavy handed, and not using/being able to use various bits of Batman because they were "tied up" with other stuff led to some bits of weirdness, like Gordon not showing up until the... first season finale? Or was the first season finale Clayface? Either way, he showed up surprisingly late and then you got Batgirl showing up as the first sidekick because, if I remember right, they couldn't use Robin until Teen Titans ended or something, which worked but was certainly a choice.

There was that one episode with Hugo Strange that was absolutely supposed to be Scarecrow, he even uses fear gas, but I guess they couldn't use him because of Batman Begins? God, that was such a strange policy.

I'm not even sure what the idea of the embargos was supposed to be, especially when it was preventing the cartoons from using properties because of the movies. Like... surely you WANT the cartoons to have the things in the movie so kids see the cartoon and go "oh, that's like that thing I saw at the theatre/that mom and dad like".

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I think they're trying to make it clear 'THERE IS A TWIST' without actually showing it, although even not knowing the source material I'm sure most people can guess what it is.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

X-O posted:

Oooh. Time to really make people mad. OK here goes: The cartoon's theme is better than the John Williams theme.

It's a close run thing for me, I do agree with... I think it was Burnett?... who said a proper Superman theme needs to be able to let you sing his name to it. Which both the Walker and Williams ones do.

I think Superman TAS is great as well, and I think the show's versions of Lois and Lana are severely underrated. (And it's a crime that that Dana Delaney never got a shot to play Lois in live-action).

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
TAS actually pulls off something most versions struggle with, which is how to make Clark getting the name work. gently caress, compare it to Lois & Clark, where it comes from Teri Hatcher sighing "...suuuper..." like she's daydreaming while doodling hearts on her 9th grade math book. And TAS has Dana Delaney's Lois just directly make the Friedrich Nietszche reference.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Rhyno posted:

This scene is funny and it is not transphobic despite what I was told previously.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jme-jr3kYVU

It is, however, a legit pet peeve of mine when body swap stories do the 'dub the other person's voice' thing. I get that it's no more or less work in animation, and hey, I love David Warner as much as all right-thinking people, but it just pulls me out of things because, like, your voice sounds like it does because of how your larynx is shaped and developed. Unless Ra's had his voicebox stuffed into Talia's throat, that voice ain't coming out like that.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Leahy is a giant Batman nerd, he's got a cameo in one of the Nolan films as well, I think, and wrote the foreword to some of the trades, I think.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
There's been Jewish gangs in the north-east just like Italian, Irish and pretty much any other minority that've been persecuted, wouldn't be a stretch for Harley's dad to have come up in one of those.
Also, as much as I largely agree about the pilot, the gag about Costco slays me every time.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
The ludicrous thing was the studio making Conroy stop doing it because they were scared the voices were so distinct kids wouldn't be able to tell Bruce and Batman were the same guy.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

hiddenriverninja posted:

I thought it was because Conroy was having medical issues with his throat.

I find that unlikely because A) He's still doing the voice 30 years later, and 2) the 'Bruce' voice is way closer to his real one

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
On that note, I do like that Will Friedle also has a 'Batman' voice for Terry.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Rhyno posted:

"I thought the Joker always wanted to make Batman laugh!"

That entire scene is so good.

The laughter from the darkness is the thing that makes it so very clear that Joker's whiny "You're not Batman" isn't true anymore, if it ever was. (Also one of the most memorable and disconcerting moments from the DCAU is Bruce laughing at Harley in the cowl, from Mad Love)

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
They were going for art deco futurism.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Rhyno posted:

The MOTU fandom is already up in arms about the character designs and how it all looks too "WOKE" and "FEMALES" and no matter what they'll be pissed. But Kevin Smith sucks so this show will sink or swim on the voice cast at this point.

The designs look like the 2003 show that I thought people like?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Dawgstar posted:

Teela is more muscular than Adam. I love it.

It's almost like *gasp* the reason Adam and He-Man didn't look any different was Funimation being cheap as gently caress.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

The issue is that the best Batman cartoon after TAS is Brave and the Bold.

That's a weird way to spell Harley Quinn.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

I grew up on Batman TAS and then later the DCAU but never really got into DC comics much - I read Marvel. That said, I recently got into Harley Quinn - the show - and I absolutely adore it, and I was surprised since I generally dislike what little I've seen with the characters since the DCAU.
Anyway, I mention that since my knowledge of DC comics outside the broad strokes and loving Amanda Conner's Power Girl run is pretty much 'nothing' so yeah.

That said, both I and a friend who I turned on to the show absolutely adore their take on Ivy. Normally the DCAU is like my platonic ideal for most Batman characters, but goddamn if HQ's Ivy isn't the platonic ideal of Ivy to me now.
So yeah, mentioning it here since I'm just wondering if there's any comics worth reading that take an approach to Ivy that's at all like the shows?

Good news, the show has a comic miniseries currently running about Harley and Ivy on their "honeymoon".

The show also takes a lot of cues from Conner and her husband's run on the Harley comic itself.

Gaz-L fucked around with this message at 13:40 on Oct 25, 2021

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

I thought I vaguely recalled having heard Conner's Harley Quinn run was kind of awful? Or was it just the early New 52 part of it?

It's very much the two of them writing unfiltered, so it depends on your tolerance for that. But the general vibe of Harley as a well-meaning hosed-up gently caress-up is very much from that.
As is her explicitly hooking up with Pam. (Although Dini's obviously been pushing that for a while. He even managed to get fairly close in Gotham Sirens, by having Harley weaponise to hurt Ivy during the last arc)

Actually, was it a recent run on Batgirl where Babs hired Ivy to work for her tech start-up in the bio-tech arm?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

site posted:

wasn't "don't ya wanna ride your harley??" in like one of the very first episodes of btas

Nope, that's from Mad Love. That's the line Timm had to re-storyboard because S&P felt the chopper style pose was too lewd. The original made it into the comics version of the story

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Is Mercy still an Amazon in the current comics canon?

SlothfulCobra posted:

I know that the comics felt the need to make Harley extra-dark because they;re very self-conscious and uncomfortable with being associated with "kid stuff" like cartoons. There was something about her having a split personality formed from trauma? Has any of that been stuck into the movies? I think the Arkham games had a bit implying that she wasn't a real doctor and that she slept her way through med school.

Marvel comics felt the need to give Firestar a dark backstory of accidentally killing her family and being gaslit by the Hellfire club, I wouldn't be surprised if they made Livewire into a serial killer or something. Horribly traumatizing and crippling Batgirl seems like another move of really trying to prove that comics are so much more mature and serious than TV.

The 'slept her way to good grades' thing is actually from the comics/cartoon. It's from Mad Love, the episode (and later comic) that is basically Harley's origin story. As for her not being a real doctor, basically it's a coin flip whether a writer knows there's a difference between a psychologist, psychotherapist or psychiatrist and half the time they just pick one. I tend to prefer when she's a psychiatrist because it honestly just gives you more tools if she's a full on medical doctor.

The real 'tragic backstory' stuff with Harley is the stuff about her having daddy issues because her father was a low level mobster who abandoned her/got sent to prison when she was young.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Cuoco goes pretty light with the accent, depending on how generous you want to be she's either doing a 'moved away from NY to go to college and it's faded unless she's worked up or with family' or just lazy with it.

Titania and Giganta are like the Big Two's counterparts of 'big strong ladies who do crimes to pay the bills' and they both mostly dislike their 'nemesis' because they think she's kinda stuck up.

G Willow Wilson and Gail Simone both had stories where Diana just hangs out with Giganta and they banter as frenemies and the recent Gamma Flight mini and Immortal Hulk in general had a fun take on Titania. And the recent Marvel Pride special had a cute story where she sees She-Hulk at a con and attacks her only to find out it's actually a trans girl in costume because she grew up idolising Jen and seeing her be tall and buff but still feminine helped her find the courage to come out, and even pick the name Jennifer in tribute. And they have coffee and bond and it's super sweet

Gaz-L fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Oct 30, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

TwoPair posted:

I feel like a lot of it has to do with marketing. Spider-Man is one of the few characters that can be really work with kids because he's Just Like You™. Like, kids love Batman and other heroes but in the end they're all grown ups. Spidey is a character who, in-canon, has juggled the school/superhero lives so writers have a lot more source material to work off of (even if there wasn't that much source material in the first place). Plus it helps that, you know, he's not too overpowered like Superboy and he has a great rogues gallery and [blah blah insert your own reason Spider-Man rules here]

Somewhat tangential, but this is oddly one of the reasons I don't adore the Raimi movies (the first two, anyway) as much as most, because while it does technically skip over that stuff in the second act of the first one, it feels very much like Raimi trying to replicate those 60s books, much like Batman 66 is trying to be a tongue-in-cheek but quite accurate version of Silver Age Batman or the Donner Superman is kind of a Bronze Age Superman.

I think I have a preference for the college/grad student Spidey partly because of the 90s cartoon not shying away from that aspect. I feel similarly about Superman TAS (ironically not so much Batman, because my Batman has Oracle and the whole Family at his side) and X-Men. The high school thing also makes it really odd to try and introduce Miles without killing Peter. If Pete's older and can be a mentor figure, that's one thing. There's a reason the Spider-Verse movie pointedly made sure both Peters were at least a decade older than Miles.