Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Yeah, I went back to read Uncanny 200 after the second episode aired and two things jumped out:

1) there's a barely qualifies as a subplot about Kitty Pryde being embarrassed that she needs glasses due to being nearsighted

2) the point of the trial is Magneto apparently pulled a Superman IV The Quest For Peace and tried to unilaterally impose nuclear disarmament on the world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

TwoPair posted:

Seeing how the show so far is all about destroying Scott Pilgrim's Summers' Precious Little Life more and more every episode, I could definitely see as many Summers as possible appearing to make his world more and more confusing and bad.

After the Jean reveal threw everything into madness, I'm sure Cyclops would yell "nobody better answer that goddamn door"

Opens it to see Rachel, just slams it in her face and nopes up the stairs.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
How it started: Fuzzy blue Dan Akroyd circa Ghostbusters

How it's going: Fuzzy blue Henry Kissinger

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Apparently it's Josh Keaton, of all people, and no, he's more known as Spider-Man than Cap.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I do want to reiterate something I posted in TV IV after having been criticial about Lenore Zann's voice after the first few episodes: While I stand by the opinion that her voice has noticeably aged more than most of the returning cast, she's also stepped up 1000% in what they've asked her to do in the last two episodes Rogue's been featured in, and more than justified the decision to bring her back.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

TwoPair posted:

I was (well, still am) very unfamiliar with Bastion, so when I saw the new bad guy was a purple dude messing with technology, I thought it was Feilong from the recent X-Men/Iron Man comics and thought "wow that's a pretty recent pull for this show". I guess little did I know of the X-Men's long history of purple bad guys (that aren't The Purple Man™)

Kilgrave was even in the original show! Even though he's more a Daredevil (and now Jessica Jones/Luke Cage) bad guy!

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

muscles like this! posted:

The voice actor for Wolverine is kind of rough because sometimes he sounds super old and sometimes he can get it exactly like the old show.

I do agree with this but it bothers me less because, i mean, Logan's like 300 years old anyway.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

BizarroAzrael posted:

Ah that was it, yeah I could totally see that happening since JK is active in the MCU and a prolific voice actor himself. If he were standing in for (with the best will in the world) one of Haim Saban's stable of non-union VAs it might seem a bit jarring but for someone of Asner's stature that's not an issue.

I'd also be fine with Darin dePaul doing his Simmons impression he uses in the Spider-Man video games.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Lobok posted:

Never had the set but I do have a couple choice cards from it that I've kept for this whole time. Other Spidey art can be as good, but not better imo.

Bagley's basically my platonic ideal for Spider-Man art. His style is just the right kind of cartoony (which is also why it was very effective when he drew the flashbacks in Alias, as it felt profoundly messed up for those events to be in that style)

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

khwarezm posted:

This brings up a corollary to my earlier post, the fact that Darkseid and his minions more and more get used as recurring foes to Superman and the League has deteriorated Darkseid as much of a threat, when he shows up again and again and usually gets defeated and things reset to status quo he seems to be increasingly less of a terrifying, transcendent and nearly unstoppable manifestation of evil and more like a Saturday morning cartoon villain who angrily shakes his fist at Superman and the rest for foiling his plan to turn all of the ice cream in Metropolis sour so that the police would have stomach aches while he tries to kidnap the president and vowing to get them next time while Kalibak goes 'Duuuuuh, you get 'em pops!' and falls on head when they get out of the boom tube.

I think he needs to be laid off from for some time and put back into the background so he comes across as a bit more serious when he does get used in the future, at least Thanos got proper build up over the Marvel movies and accordingly was a very memorable threat for a lot of people and a big watershed moment for the whole franchise.

I disagree, it's all in how he's defeated. As in the below TAS example, he loses, definitively... and yet he also wins, utterly. Like, what more could Superman do? Kill him?

And as another example, he was used in a recent arc of World's Finest, where Superman and Batman travel to the Kingdom Come timeline, and there's 2 very cool details in how Waid uses him: One, there's the first real use of the idea that there's only one Darkseid, across all timelines/universes. And secondly, he's treated as a basically existential threat where if the McGuffin reaches him, it's game over, there's no actual fighting him. Like, the ending has Magog kill his mentor/creator Gog, to prevent his part of the Anti-Life Equation being taken by Darkseid and big D just... walks away. Like, he doesn't even give enough of a poo poo to kill Magog, he's unimportant. Sure, the heroes won, but it doesn't feel like Darkseid was diminished in the telling.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

X-O posted:

There's been a ton of subtle moments since the very first episode. I thought it was very clear that there was something there. I agree with the above that it appears to be one sided for now though.

I think MonsterEnvy worded it poorly. I think they mean that Morph's crush on Logan was played unambiguously, not that there was no hints

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Sentinel Red posted:

That's one of the best uses of breaking up the team endings there's probably ever been. Hank's "oh dear" is a strong contender for understatement of the year.

One thing though: it looked like Jubliee was listed MIA/out of action on Forge's wall but her and Roberto made it back to Earth, no?

Also, has Roberto always been able to fly or is this just a TV show thing? I don't recall ever seeing him do it before.

Not always, but for a long time, yes. Basically he used to do the MCU Iron Man thing of shooting his energy blasts down to push himself up and eventually that just became 'can fly'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I liked in Alias where Jessica Jones talks about how she doesn't know if she's bulletproof because, like, there's only one way to actually test that and she doesn't want to risk being wrong.