Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
You post that like it's a bad thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I never understood Speedy as a sidekick name in general. Like, is he supposed to just be a kid who's really quick on his feet or does he shoot arrows quick enough to impress Green Arrow or what? Either way it doesn't make much sense. At least Robin, as much as he doesn't really stick with a bat theme, dresses like a Robin.

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Sep 18, 2017

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

X-O posted:

Looks like Gotham fell right into the same trap as Smallville where they greenlight the show and then realize "Wait everything interesting about this guy happens way after this period... gently caress it we'll do it all anyway and just keep him out of the suit" which is not the greatest way to run a show.

It's the black black blur!

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Monaghan posted:

A lot of the "classic "kid shows, especially from the eighties don't really hold up. GI Joe, transformers turtles, aren't that great.

However, I will say to the day I die that Beast Wars loving owned, especially the last two seasons. Even with the outdated CGI :colbert:.

My man :yeah:

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

ToastyPotato posted:

I somehow have never heard of War Planets/Shadow Raiders until now. What networks even carried that show in the US? I remember being disappointed when Beast Wars became Beast Machines, and I remember wishing Reboot had continued (and then it did when Toonami briefly brought it back?) I feel like I would have been down to watch another show from those guys if I had heard about it. And Cartoon Network sure as poo poo never showed it during the many years I watched.

I know a reboot of Reboot (heh) was announced a while back but I think it totally fell apart in the last year

edit: okay nevermind, Wikipedia says it's still happening next year but it's gonna be some weird live-action hybrid so I guess Reboot + Digimon season 2 + lovely child actors.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

TheHan posted:

Mary Jane's cameo in the most recent Spider-Man episode really got a chuckle out of me. So far this has been way better than Ultimate Spider-Man.

The lowest bar to clear next to "better than Avengers Assemble"

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

wdarkk posted:

So now we have the reverse question, why isn't manga like that? Is it because the creators own the copyright?

If I had to wager a guess, it'd be because a lot of popular manga come in forms like Shonen Jump where you get a whole bunch of comics in one bundle. If Batman is in an issue of Superman then that would boost Superman's sales. But Jump doesn't have individual titles. You don't need to boost sales of any one book, like you do in American comics. One Piece has the same sales as every other comic in Jump on the weeks it is published (even if it might sell way more in collections). That said, if Jump itself isn't doing that great (which I had heard recently but could be some totally unsubstantiated rumor) I don't know why Luffy or Naruto or [shonen protagonist x] aren't teaming up every week to help boost total sales.

e: oh never mind other people came up with better answers before me, ignore this.

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Oct 30, 2017

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Skwirl posted:

See, but Squirrel Girl is mediocre trash because they didn't spend half a year explaining the backstory to Koi Boi and Chipmunk Hunk.

This but unironically. I would love to see an origin for such a hyperspecific powerset as talking to koi.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

TFRazorsaw posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FBrPQYTuvMI

Scooby Doo and Batman Brave & the Bold crossover movie

being made in 2018

what the flying gently caress

I hope this addition to the Scooby-Doo Expanded Universe means that we can get a Brave and the Bold crossover with WWE.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

HIJK posted:

All in all I prefer adaptations to comics to comics themselves which brings us full circle in this thread! The best superhero cartoon is of course Superman TAS. Fite me.

My man :hfive:

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
The anger of 03 Titans fans gives me life

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Lurdiak posted:

Yeah but according to people with pepe avatars it's the worst thing ever to exist.

The much funnier group are the people that are positive that the show isn't actually successful or popular and DC/CN only makes it to somehow spite any fans of the old show. As though there's an entire network pouring resources into a production just to give a middle finger to a very niche group.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
God I just hate every Harley design since 2011. Like maybe her original BTAS costume doesn't work for her leading a solo cartoon, and especially for a live action movie, but there has to be some kind of happy middle ground between her OG costume and her current one.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Kurui Reiten posted:

Did... did you just try to imply I'm a pedophile?

No, he said that you can do a non-sexy Harley Quinn costume, then provided one for an example. I don't know how you can read that so wrong.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
To say Bruce-sama and make me crack the gently caress up

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Yeah I don't know what that scheduling decision was about. I mean even if Saturday morning cartoons were still A Thing (which they aren't), 7 AM is just too drat early. I mean there is a part of me that gets all tinfoil-hat-conspiracy and wants to say it was an intentional move to kill the show, but no network wants programming to bomb or they wouldn't greenlight it in the first place.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

The Question IRL posted:

I like Magneto, he's a nuanced complex character. But yeah he has done straight up super villain stuff.
Ignoring the ret-conned Morrison stuff and all his attempts at killing the X-Men, he has stolen nuclear weapons, sunk a Russian nuclear sub killing all on-board, later stealing the nuclear weapons from said sub to arm Asteroid M.
Then there are the natural disasters (in Fatal Attractions he shut down all power on the planet.)That would in theory kill millions. Even if you say "superheroes worked over time to catch falling planes" that should still leave thousands dead.
Also her inverted the planet's magnetic poles. That has to be bad for the planet.

Also one time he messed with the Earth's EM field to effect the astral plane so Psychics would have a harder time using their powers. That's just mean.

I thought inverting the poles was something Ultimate Mags did. It's what led to Ultimatum, cementing him as one of history's greatest monsters.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Skwirl posted:

Actual people spend actual money on magnetic bracelets thinking it would reverse the aging process, Magneto is basically a walking one of those, they don't need to do much explain his longevity.

I like to imagine a couple having a conversation about those bracelets and one guy says "You know that's just a scam, right?" Then Magneto tears the roof off the building and yells "ACTUALLY HUMAN, IT WORKS"

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
My first exposure to TMNT was my parents buying me a toy at a yard sale of a van that shot plastic pizzas. Later on I did watch some on a VHS at my cousin's house and the entire time I was waiting on the pizza van to appea:, as though it was an important part of the lore.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Good to know that Kids These Days® will get to experience TMNT the way I did, weird and devoid of context.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Dexie posted:

Most importantly though?

The turtles began to mutant further, into these horrifying abominations. :gonk:

Meanwhile they mutated into handsome green animes in Japan...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vGMfb60lc14

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

AllNewJonasSalk posted:

I caught an episode of Marvel's Spider-Man this morning and found it to be enjoyable. It was an adaptation of Spider Island with Spider-Gwen thrown in.

Is this show as a whole any good and worth watching? Also, why the gently caress did Netflix get rid of all the superhero cartoons and is there another streaming service I can find them on?

I don't know the first but I do know the latter. Both DC and Disney (and thus Marvel) are making their own streaming services (because you can never have too many, right? :suicide:), and are suctioning off all their content to over there. I don't think either service has actually started though, so for now you're SOL

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Dexo posted:

Yeah the only conglomerate I want is Netflix to control and own everything.

Hey if all I have to pay is one monthly fee, big brother can watch me all it wants.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

ToastyPotato posted:

Everyone is just going to make their own service because that is the ultimately going to provide the most possible revenue. Of course, if everyone does this, however, the amount of money people will spend on streaming will be spread thin, lowering the potential revenue per service. Services will be shuttered, content will end up in limbo, and the biggest losers will be the viewers, no matter what.

Yeah, depending on what you're already paying for, all these different streaming things may already be more expensive than cable.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

ryonguy posted:

Our wallets are Barbara Gordon and cable companies are the Joker.

:drat:

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Any character that is the littlest bit "cartoony" is Tom Kenny

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Still stunned they've never made a Power Pack cartoon

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

ToastyPotato posted:

Even weirder, isn't New 52 Superman actually an in universe different character than normal Superman? And didn't he get his own big death story so that he could be replaced with OG Superman? But I do suppose they might have started animating this before the decision to return to the classic design.

Yes and no? They explained it by saying that both N52 Supes and the OG Supes were one being or had their memory tampered with or something to explain the current Rebirth Superman. So it's kind of a Grant Morrison-esque "every story happened" thing... except I guess all the stories that contradict each other like Superman dating Wonder Woman.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Wheat Loaf posted:

I'm a petty bastard sometimes, which is why my favourite episode of Teen Titans Go! that I've seen was "Let's Get Serious". People take fiction too personally most of the time and the amount of :qq: over that episode was most amusing.

Every time there's an angry post somewhere about TTG, I gain a little more strength to carry me through the day. This means I am going to live for approximately 300+ years now.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

SonicRulez posted:

I feel bad for characters like Doomsday that were clearly only ever meant to appear once. I'm pretty sure he's only ever been in like 1 good story ever. See also: Bane.

At least Bane has the potential to be good, since he's established to be smart and have a whole backstory in addition to having the venom thing going. Doomsday is just... Doomsday. I mean I've read his stupid retconned-in history on Wikipedia but everybody knows he only ever existed to kill Superman.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

JT Smiley posted:

Wait, are they seriously doing another time skip/ cast change?

Of course, why would you tell stories about established characters that people like when you've got DEEP LORE and world building to explore? :v:

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

site posted:

Twitter is already on it

"I can't jack off to this Cheetara at all!" :argh:

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

SonicRulez posted:

Calling it Thundercats Roar just begs for people to treat it like Teen Titans Go.

Also Leonardo is the best Ninja Turtle :colbert:

I'm willing to bet that comparison is more something they're aiming for rather than avoid.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

X-O posted:

I had never once seen a second of Teen Titans Go until the trailer for the movie came on before Deadpool 2 last night. It was completely unbearable. How was this a thing?

It still is a thing. And it is somehow the most polarizing cartoon of the century, as it's either hilarious or the worst thing ever, depending on who you ask. I'm the former, you're apparently the latter. I've never met (on the internet or irl) anyone who thinks TTG is just "kinda" good/bad.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/flipskip1/status/997662259030605824

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 04:49 on May 19, 2018

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

site posted:

i wonder why theyre rebooting the show

I was about to say I thought this already existed? I guess I've only ever seen it in 5 minute shorts on YouTube though so kudos to them for making a whole show.

VVV: Ah, okay then. Well I wish them the best of luck.

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 02:15 on May 22, 2018

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Listen I don't care how the rest of her design changes any Zatanna design without a top hat is automatically bad. I just think a magic superhero dressing like a stage magician is too great.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Lurdiak posted:

I don't know, I think this one has legs. It's sucked in a lot of latent reactionary hatred and general dissatisfaction with Cartoon Network and modern animation in general that people have had for years. Every idiot who hates Teen Titans Go is hopping onto this bandwagon. Everyone who misses realistically proportioned muscleman cartoons is on board too. Everyone who hates how lgbt-friendly Steven Universe is feels validated by the hatred this is getting. Everyone who doesn't understand how the costs of animation have skyrocketed in the past 20 years resulting in simpler animation is all too happy for a scapegoat.

This isn't just a movie that'll come and be gone like Ghostbusters 2016. It's targeting an entire company and industry that's got a lot of LGBT people working in it. I think it's going to keep getting uglier.

Honestly though I think it's only good for the show in the long run. I mean if you look on Youtube for Teen Titans Go the second result behind actual clips from the show are these dumbasses making reaction videos and long-winded rants about how ~terrible~ it is that the big bad network is ruining their nostalgia and how no one actually likes the show and it's only being broadcast because a whole loving company doesn't want money but actually just wants to piss them off personally. Only now I guess instead of 20-30 year olds it'll be middle-aged nerds whining on camera.

What I'm saying is that people will not simply not watch the show, like you're supposed to do with things you don't like, they're going to watch it to make sure they can tell everyone how bad it is, ironically giving it the views and interest it needs to live.

I still can't believe these idiots use soy boys as an unironic insult.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Android Blues posted:

I don't think it's a very good piece. Sometimes I like Tycho's takes but this seems wildly off base, like, he accuses the people defending the reboot of brand worship and blind corporatism, while completely ignoring the fact that the criticism of the reboot is shot through with weird right-wing politics stuff about "gender non-conforming characters" and "SJW animators".

I don't think most people even care about the Thundercats reboot per se, they just don't like that a bunch of right wing nerd personalities are coming after it based on a preview, mostly to gin up their follower base as far as I can tell. Those Youtube videos Lurdiak posted about SOY CUCK THUNDERCATS are beyond parody.

Yeah I think they'd have a point if the show were actually out and people were dissing/getting overly defensive about it then. As it stands, it's a bunch of dudes ready to fight over a picture and a press release and some half-baked notion that the big bad CalArt SJWs are coming to kill their childhoods.

Also it reeks of cultural gatekeeping (I think I'm using that term correctly excuse me if not) any time someone mentions that a remake should be "faithful" to the original work I cringe, because they might as well have said "it needs to be the same!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

pubic works project posted:

gently caress a film. I want a new series!

*Greg Weisman begins plotting 7-season story and movie*