Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/capitalspidey/status/1775878595300176198

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

ImpAtom posted:

That's cute.

They also do this one-panel gag directly

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I honestly didn't plan on watching X-Men 97 since I never really watched the original very much and so didn't have nostalgia for it, but this thread (and others) going crazy about the most recent episode* finally got me to give it a shot and after binging the whole thing tonight... drat, this is a good show. I will agree with a lot of people that while it's nice they got the original guy back to voice Wolverine, he's just not that great at it anymore and they'd probably have been better off getting a soundalike imo.

*one other factor was having my little brother literally text me all day badgering me about watching it because he needed to gush to someone about it lol

deoju posted:

In the most recent episode they show a picture of the 1963 team in their original outfits. So I guess we know how things stand now.

Also Gambit went out like a badass today.

From the minute I understood Gambit's powers I always thought "Why doesn't he just charge up much bigger poo poo?" and I know the answer is "because he can't throw it" but still, I feel like writers are less creative than they could be in general (at least in most comics I've read featuring him) with the power of "make anything (inorganic) loving explode"

X-O posted:

I mean Cable was already trying to fix it and said "Not again!" like he'd done it before and failed. I fully expect it to be lessened so some of the dying characters don't die, but probably not completely halted. We'll see. Doesn't change the impact the episode had in the moment which is what really matters.

Yeah, the Wild Man of Borneo has really beefed it here and I also get the feeling that from his POV it's not the first time.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

NikkolasKing posted:

Has comic book Magneto ever worn a costume like the one in '97? I assume so, it just looks so different from any version I have seen from comics or adaptations. But I really dig it.

Also I really dig the new opening each episode. EP5 accordingly had an amazing OP
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yXldMBoT-54

I love the changing intros but find it mildly hilarious that they still have to keep that end with the X-Men and villains running at each other at the end because it's so iconic despite the fact that the show starts off with Xavier dead and now characters keep dying (or going away in Storm's case).

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
e: nm

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/BeauDemayo/status/1778190058144866726

Apparently episode 5 was the whole centerpiece of this project

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Monaghan posted:

Speaking as a current lawyer I would love to be a lawyer in comic book world. I can only imagine the hosed up precedents there would be.

In Charles Soule's Daredevil run he had Matt Murdock go to the Supreme Court and (successfully!) argue that costumed vigilantes could testify in court mask on and everything. This later came into play when Daredevil accidentally kills a guy, then goes to jail for it and keeps the mask on the whole time. Marvel law is nuts.

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Apr 13, 2024

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

NikkolasKing posted:

Stryfe also gets a good five minutes of exposition but yes Rachel gets nothing.

Some people think Stryfe will be a big villain in '97. I don't see it but who knows.

Seeing how the show so far is all about destroying Scott Pilgrim's Summers' Precious Little Life more and more every episode, I could definitely see as many Summers as possible appearing to make his world more and more confusing and bad.

X-O posted:

I want an entire episode of untangling the Summers/Grey family tree with deep dives in Havok, Corsair, Vulcan and Cable. And then at the very end the bell rings at the mansion and it's Rachel followed by a cut to black.

After the Jean reveal threw everything into madness, I'm sure Cyclops would yell "nobody better answer that goddamn door"

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Apr 16, 2024

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Grem posted:

I think the voice actor for Xavier is really bad

Definitely not enough yelling when he got that psychic vision to match the original show...

CapnAndy posted:

Nothing was going to look good having to follow last week’s episode, but drat, what a flat and boring bunch of nonsense. Following up on hugely impactful events and all the pressing questions still lingering unanswered? Nah, sounds dumb, let’s mutantsplain colonialism to space birds instead.

I felt like the colonialism talk was really weird, not just because the Shi'ar are probably familiar with the concept (and just don't give a gently caress), but it seems kinda... basic? I don't know how to explain it, it seems like it's very blunt. The X-Men have always dealt in metaphors what with being walking metaphors, but for now gently caress subtlety, it's time for Chuck to turn his chair around and explain to the kids very blatantly that colonialism is bad actually. And in the very same episode where Forge and Storm kind of touch on it but subtext is for cowards.

And I guess the counter-arguments would be that it's a kids show and it's fine to be blunt, or that unfortunately there's a bunch of real rear end people in our world that don't get it either, but to those I'd say that a.) c'mon, we just did a genocide last episode, it's not that kiddy and b.) if those people don't already get it, they're sure as hell not gonna get it from fuckin' cartoon Professor X.

Anyway setting all that aside: I get that they're going with Sinister's portrayal from the original cartoon, but now after reading comics I know he's both English and (for the past few years in comics) catty as hell, so his bland generic evil voice just does not match what I've had in my head.

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 08:10 on Apr 18, 2024

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

GateOfD posted:

Charle's lecture to the space birds was dumb. They don't care, and him trying to preach to them about earth culture view points is dumb. Let the space birds have their aggressive culture if they want.

I do feel weird that the guy saying "colonialism is bad" made me go "Christ, what a douche" instead of "yes that is true"

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I was (well, still am) very unfamiliar with Bastion, so when I saw the new bad guy was a purple dude messing with technology, I thought it was Feilong from the recent X-Men/Iron Man comics and thought "wow that's a pretty recent pull for this show". I guess little did I know of the X-Men's long history of purple bad guys (that aren't The Purple Man™)

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I like that Morph's power for this show is basically "do every cameo we want but can't weave in organically"

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Nanigans posted:

Finally!

August 1st, all 10 episodes.

Hell yes, love love love Batman’s design. Black cowl, short gloves, big ears.

Guess I’ll start following this thread again.

Maybe Mafex will make figures from this. Anyone but McFarlane, plz.

Yeah I just... don't get what the hell the point is in licensing it to Amazon. I'm sure Zaslav or some crazy marketing exec or lawyer could explain to me how it makes sense financially but like... how?

Actually, speaking of which, streaming finally gets one step closer to being just cable again because Disney+/Hulu and Max are gonna start bundling their services soon

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 19:20 on May 9, 2024

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Grem posted:

Well they certainly did all those comic book things

:emptyquote:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010