Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I'll never surrender to Disney hegemony!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Kk5NnG73qE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

From what I recall, the show felt like it had gotten pretty tired by the point it ended. I think in the penultimate season all the main characters had gotten about as much character growth as any of them were going to get (Beast Boy and Starfire never had full arcs centered around them, even though they had their fair share of individual episodes). The last season was pretty much a victory lap, where instead of building further upon anything or continuing the show's old formula, the team split up globetrotting and meeting up with various young superhumans around the planet. I can't quite remember if the show was buried in scheduling or if it was just one of those periods where I trailed off of watching TV.

It had a good run, not cut down in its prime at all. The way American TV works, it promotes successful shows to run on and on forever until they start to wear out. Really great shows that were cancelled before their time are way in the minority.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Thompsons posted:

wow I am getting super fuckin tired of the Young Justice school of art design

Yeah, it's a fairly boring artstyle to look at, and then it doesn't really animate all that well. All those chiseled faces don't really convey much emotion either.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I don't see the young in all those straight-up adults, and I don't see the justice in renewing a show that went real bad in the second season.

Deep down inside me I still blame Greg Weisman and whatever deal with the devil he made for everything going impossibly wrong in 2016.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Yeah, we all know it's a toss-up between Slash and Venus de Milo.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Teen Titans Go is pretty good, but I feel like it's reaching that point where it's run its course, and going on for much longer will be really diminishing returns. Also like Spongebob.

Rand Brittain posted:

Yeah, it's bizarre to me that they keep trying to make Cyborg a Thing in the adult media but they never draw on this version of the character (which unlike the others is actually popular).

Honestly the big issue with most incarnations of cyborg is that the only way he could be more generic is if they changed his superhero name to "Hero Man With Robot Bits Attached."

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Lurdiak posted:

So this Thundercats Roar thing is escalating to Gamergate proportions and I feel very sorry for all my friends and acquaintances in the animation industry.

Really? It's such a nothing to get worked up over. At worst it's a bad cartoon that mocks fans of its original. There's no higher social principles involved, or anything vaguely political. What is there to snowball into something like Gamergate?

Is it just that Thundercats fans are in more in the angry old man age range?

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Incidentally, I like this coming on the heels of a little exchange this thread had last week about the style being used for Young Justice and the DC animated movies being tired and lifeless without going crazy.

Skwirl posted:

Edit: Also I hate that entire animation style. I understand not using the Timm/Dini style, since that's what the last adaptation used, but I pray they eventually switch to something else, even something that's closer to the Jim Lee esque art that was the New 52 house style for the first few years of New 52.

It's fine to have opinions without going wild about soy or anti-art school conspiracy theories.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Wheat Loaf posted:

Of course it goes for people who like stuff too much as well as people dislike it, but the latter are more frequently the ones going out of their way to go after people.

I think it's mostly internecine within a fan community with people who are really passionate fans of something. I don't think people who liked a movie have ever impelled one of its cast to quit social media, for instance. (Which I think is fairly rare, but that makes it more notable when it does happen.)

Well, there was that one creep who really liked Tiny Toons and stalked Tress MacNeille. It predated social media, but she cancelled con appearances because of it.

Alternatively, there's the people who really like a thing that go bugfuck about people who criticize it, which was one of the pillars of the whole Gamergate thing aside from misogyny.

And just to make things more on-topic for this subforum, there's always HEAT, the group of angry nerds who took out paid ads in their quest against the new direction that DC was going with Green Lantern in the 90s.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Hate can be an exhausting experience. I don't know how some people can find it in them to keep getting worked up constantly.

It's been a while since I've watched the current crop of superhero cartoons. None of them really grab me, their aesthetics are kinda dull, and I've really disliked the dynamic that comics have shifted towards lately where superheroes all consort exclusively with other superheroes, so making Spiderman into the Avengers has no appeal to me.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

They're really iterating new series fast these days, aren't they? The last turtle show's not even a year gone, and they've got the new model ready. I feel like all the superhero shows keep getting replaced by new ones before I know what the current one is as well. Really cranking them out there.

That's some intro though. Even if it might be execs pushing for further IP utilization, they've got some people who care about what they're doing working on things.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I don't see anything boyish about her at all, although I am a little surprised they didn't try to give her visible muscles at all.

From what I've seen the original She-Ra's style was pretty poo poo, so getting away from that's probably a positive.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

The 80s and early 90s were weirdly obsessed with the human form, as well as being the period where the separation of the genders was being ratcheted up. Women were all being pushed down the line of looking like Barbie supermodels, narrow waists, busty, big hair, and all that, which there have been many thinkpieces, studies, and campaigns to come back from that. There's still a lot of issues with women in TV and movies all trying to go towards the one, ideal body type.

Depictions of men went down an entirely different path, with depictions starting to get more into the muscle-y bodybuilding physiques. Bodybuilders became movie stars, and it somehow became a thing for movie superheroes to even wear ridiculous fake muscle plates in their costumes in an attempt to duplicate comics' unrealistic outfits that conform to every crevice. The He-Man action figures were particularly bad, they were just solid bricks of steroids only vaguely resembling a humanoid form. The main difference is, through all of that, there were still dumpy guys, fat guys, and old guys all over the place, sometimes even being the lead character who gets with one of those barbie girls. There's still some unrealistic standards floating around (apparently extreme dehydration is still a thing they do for some action movies), but they're not nearly as all-encompassing.

And modern cartoons are moving away from both stereotypes, which has its own ups and downs, but I like it better for the most part. If the 80s are comparable to all those greco-roman naked statues, then right now we're in the period of all those medieval knights fighting snails, which are much better.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

80s cartoons and toys were put together on garbage budgets by people who barely had a clue what they were doing, but they wound up being ridiculously influential from being the first big time that marketing to children, the least knowledgeable consumers on the planet, could be a whole multimedia experience.

And then people who were very literally heavily invested into the franchise at a young age had it become important enough of a formative experience that it's in the core of their being and they'll both be outraged and willing to buy and boost the ratings at the same time. The franchises now face horrible monsters of their own making.

drrockso20 posted:

How dare you call He-Man toys bad

I'll never apologize for being right.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

What I'm really grumpy about is that I kinda dig a lot of that, despite the fact that I should be hating all this visually busy junk.

I don't like that Leo though. Can they replace him with April?

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Thompsons posted:

It still sucks though because it cheapens Terry and Bruce's relationship by saying "yeah you were basically fated to be like him instead of you two coming together by happenstance and forging a natural bond."

There's also an element of denying the personal initiative of humans to decide their own fate if Terry's just genetically predestined to be a batman. That cheapens the whole self-made aspect that some people find appealing about Batman compared to other superheroes.

Of course, Bruce Wayne didn't necessarily get a genetic boost, but he did spend his entire life coasting off of his inherited fortune and social standing in between putting the effort in to become Batman.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

TokenTrevor posted:

Wait what the gently caress? Is this real or is this post like the posts about the Friends game?

You asked for it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Jj37XR1yFw

I don't think Batman jokes work if you want him to be kinda funny but also want people to still respect him as a serious person. Lego Batman this ain't.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

TwoPair posted:

I wouldn't say "ugly" so much as "bland"

It's very...stiff. No squash and stretch, no exaggeration of physical form. In fact, it looks like they either worked out some very believable cel-shading, or they're just tracing over CGI. Especially since it's so cavalier with shifting camera angles and there's no variable line thickness.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Does anyone remember Superhero Squad? I thought it was fun, even though it was very much for a younger age set.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Has there ever been an incarnation of Spider-Man that actually had a NYC accent?

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

TheHan posted:

I noticed Reign of the Supermen dropped today, and I actually kinda like it? Felt more enjoyable than the last animated DC movie I remember bothering to watch, and Superboy wound up being my favorite character. One thing really bothered me about the final battle though, Hank Henshaw makes a point of saying Superman won't kill him, and Superman says he's right, moments before jamming a crystal through Hank's skull and having the Eradicator kill him in his mind. Which is...kind of worse than killing him but also still killing him?

Isn't that basically how the Justice Lords started in JLA?

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

It seems like a shame to plan out a big ol' story and never tell it. It seems insane to keep all those story plans at the ready, holding out hope for years that the show will get resurrected so you can just resume everything like it's all still fresh.

Like either he's doggedly pitching to execs all the time or he's practicing some unholy rites to get picked back up.

Fuego Fish posted:

YJ does timeskips with every new season and you sort of have to wait to fill in the blanks. Or play the tie-in videogame.

It's sort of aggravating. Even though I like the show, I will fully admit this is not one of its better quirks.

Things like that kind of make you wonder what the show is really about, you know? It's not about following the characters if it'll just cut away for some of the most pivotal moments of their lives, it's just a story for the sake of itself.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I never understood the black vortex arc when they did it in the comics. They wanted to imply that there was some kind of evil, horrible cost, but they never demonstrated it. Everybody who used it just got ultimate power with no reprecussions beyond being in a poorly planned crossover event.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

There's a bit of a running theme in the comics of Peter Parker outwardly being an rear end in a top hat to people around him, even though you, the audience, know that he's under a lot of stress from some secret thing going on with his alternate identity. Heck, sometimes he's just stressed about something going on with his aunt and just can't be bothered to communicate with the people around him.

It was sort of a common tactic back in the day to gin up some more interpersonal drama.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

I think the sliding timescale itself never comes up. Comics just always take place in the present because it’s depressing to require Spiderman age into senility because you want to attach a date to the time he teamed up with David Letterman. Comics make no sense.

They did release titles revising Peter Parker and Starlord to have childhoods in the modern era. But then, they also brought the X-Men from the 60s back through some weird time travel schenanigans, and they're all surprised at how the world has changed since the 60s. It goes back and forth. Generally most characters are allowed to age from teens to adults and are then frozen forever as 20 or 30-somethings. Captain America skipped like 15 years being frozen in ice and proceeded to be active in the comics for 50 years after the fact, but still sometimes tries to pretend like he's a foreign traveler from the 40s.

I always preferred Marvel over DC as a kid because Marvel's heroes had lovely lives like normal people and would get more involved in interpersonal drama than just punching villains, and when I started diving deep into comics when I got older, I appreciated that Marvel didn't have the habit of doing massive universe-wide retcons and resets, because if you're following these characters because of their big long stupid histories, there's something more fun about keeping the goofier moments in their histories in mind while reading their newer material.

But I mostly fell off after Marvel did a weird series of kinda-retcons and started focusing on cross promotion by constantly bringing other heroes into eachother's books to show how all the big marvel characters are one big happy family instead of assembling a proper supporting cast of side characters. Crossovers lack dramatic weight because there's nothing meaningful that can really happen to a character when they're visiting somebody else's book. When big name characters only consort with other big name characters, they feel much less real, and some characters feel more like they're trying to be Billy Everyteen instead of specifically who they are.

I think I may have drifted a bit there. Sorry about the :words:

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Skwirl posted:

Peter Parker was 15 when he got spider powers, in 1963, he's still not yet 30

Why would you say that? There's not much physically different between a 25 year old and a 35 year old, and there's no real social imperative for people to "act their age" or grow into maturity after they're already adults. That's part of how heroes end up getting frozen, there's no expectation of growth like there is with teenagers. There are some actors who play 30 well into their 50s.

How you interpret the stagnancy of big comicbook characters is up to you, but if you bother expending any serious effort trying to rationalize that or consolidate canon, you're just wasting your time, and possibly doing damage by being worried about dumb nerd things instead of producing quality stories.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

At a certain point, maybe you're too ashamed of writing a superhero story to be writing a superhero story. Maybe go off and write your own Ghost in the Shell or Appleseed.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

It just feels like one of those things where they try to boil out the inherent sillyness of superheroes, which never works because the core concept of people in wacky costumes solving problems by punching really hard is itself ridiculous. You will always be asking the audience for some suspension of disbelief, and that's fine. Trying hard to seem mature is itself a very immature thing to do.

Back in the early 2000s when superhero movies were starting to make a comeback, they tried really hard to make superhero costumes that didn't look like superhero costumes, but I think the muted tones of all the costumes in current marvel movies is because they want to do constant color correction, and you're not allowed to have more than 3 colors in a shot at a time.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Probably not Conan, no. I guess comicbook writers just get lazy with fantasy backstory names.

Still a bit of a neat character. She has shotguns and hunts monsters.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

The person's name is Bloodstone, but she draws power from the Blood Gem.

I don't think Marvel would have the courage to confront the fact that there was a Captain Marvel before their current marketing but with cooler powers.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Probably Warner Brothers still has some rights to it, and it lies just out of Disney's amoeba-like absorption of the bulk of the industry.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Somehow Batman was the last cartoon allowed to have realistic guns for a long time. DC cartoons at around that time were all iconic period pieces while Mavel's cartoons were all messy soap operas with vague general access to absurdly futuristic technology. It ages less well, but it's definitely exciting.

I hope that Barnes was paid well for his work on the cartoon, because so many episodes are just marathons of him recapping, quipping, explaining, and reacting. 90s Spiderman just couldn't brood in silence.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I do have weird nostalgia feelings for old no-budget dubs that didn't know what they were doing. It kinda enhances a show that's already pretty cheesy. OK KO had a couple nods to old localizations, but I wish it had more.

90s X-Men was really over the top with all the screaming and yelling and orgasms, but it really fits with the drama that they were trying to do. I still like it.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Seems like she'd be an awkward fit, seeing as how her place in the comic was caused be adult old man Peter (while possessed by adult marginally older adult man Doc Ock) getting his PHD to secure his career.

Like it's fine every cartoon wants to do Spider-High School, but the mainline comics have been in a very different place for a while, so it's a little weird crossing the two.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

The last turtle show I just kinda lost interest in towards the end. I'm not sure I even made it through to the finale, things just started to fall apart after they went to space and there had to be a focus on both the cludgey romance and the weird vendetta against female characters. Maybe I didn't like the overarching narrative enough either after the episodic adventures fell by the wayside.

Rise is funnier, higher-energy, and there's more characterization to all the characters. It's definitely not gonna be your jam if you like stoic, dramatic, coherent overarching narratives though. There's also an aspect of how 2012 TMNT was impressive because it took the effort to do squash and stretch along with other visual effects in CGI to give it some real good animation effects, which was really impressive considering how lifeless a lot of CG seems, but then Rise shows up and still blows it out of the water.

2003 TMNT was its own special thing that went in hard on the stoic, dramatic narrative and was way cool at the time, but as I have aged since then, I just don't respect that sort thing as much anymore. It probably holds up just fine if you like that kind of story, I just don't really anymore.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I think I've hated just about everything I've seen that the comics have done with Harley. They just really had to squeeze as much grittiness and darkness into everything, with multiple levels of mental illness, neither of which correspond to any real psychology.

I guess they just really felt the need to overcompensate for using a character created for a children's cartoon, like what Marvel did with Firestar when they upgraded her from dealing with some mean girls at school to an elaborate program of gaslighting and abuse to craft her into an assassin. And they didn't even have the 90s as an excuse.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Calaveron posted:

Harley in part was created as an experiment to see how much the writers could get away with while still having a show aimed squarely at children. Harley saying gently caress and having HPV defeats that purpose

I thought she started out as just a one-off female henchman and then that all spiraled out of control for reasons.

That was a weird thing about B:TAS that you don't see as much these days, all the supervillains had like a posse conjured out of nowhere. I think the only other villain with female henchmen was Mr. Freeze for some reason.

How's the wife, Vic?

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I wanna say that it's easier to build up something big with a more organized ongoing series (or series of multiple series) than it is for a bunch of weird unrelated movies to each grab attention and individually establish the characters all over again.

I kinda fell behind with the animated movies, and not much made me feel like going back. Although maybe I just got worn down on superhero junk in a way that I wasn't on Scooby Doo.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Roth posted:

I still feel very weird about Raven having been de-aged enough to be a love interest for Damian Wayne of all characters.

Is that de-aging or is that the logarithmic aging of comic books where young characters can age at a faster rate, since all their stories will be about them aging while the closer to adulthood they get, the slower they age, because writers only want to write about characters who have been around for 80 years feeling old in alternate timelines.

Raven's only been around for 39 years, that's still whippersnapper territory in comic time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

It's complicated to give a villain a clear, understandable ideology, and the bread and butter of nerddom is taking relatively insignificant parts of a work too seriously.

I do think that at this point, Superman has been around for long enough and bounced between enough writers that he doesn't have much in the way of an inherent nature. I think I've seen more writers play around with the idea of Batman being the real person while Bruce Wayne is the mask though.

Dang, I looked it up, and apparently Superman's copyright is due to expire in 15 years under current copyright law. I wonder what kind of effect that'll have. Big comic characters have basically been defined by the tight corporate control over IPs, and it's hard to imagine what will happen after the limits are taken off.