Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Even at its most optimistic Batman doesn't make the world better he just preserves the status quo and even that is usually shaky.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Lurdiak posted:

I'm sorry that I don't see the value in endlessly ranting about something, especially when my entire angle on that thing is asinine and clearly motivated by fanboyism of a lovely character. But please feel free to continue judging me as a person for disagreeing with one thing you said in your gigantic idiotic rant.

"Oh no! He thinks one of the universally agreed 3 best Batman comics is good! What a piece of poo poo!"

I guess if I'd posted 600 words about something as blatantly obvious as "The Killing Joke is an extremely well thought-out masterpiece that defined Batman and Joker's relationship for decades" you'd be totally cool with it, and not be throwing a dumb tantrum about its mistreatment of one of DC's most boring characters. Clearly the problem is with my conciseness and not your stupid childish grudge with a well-respected author.

You dumb motherfucker.

You do see the irony in fanboying out while decrying fanboying right? Also no one called it poorly written just that part of it is, which it absolutely is. I don't give a gently caress about batgirl as a character but poorly written is poorly written. So stop being a smug, disingenuous motherfucker.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Lurdiak posted:

I'm not fanboying out for poo poo, I'm reacting to an idiot thinking his stupid lovely opinion was worth more than a one sentence middle finger. If I can't be smug while replying to someone who throws a fit about how people disagreeing with him must be bad posters, I don't know when I can be.

Not sure why you think something that obvious requires you to come in and declare me disingenuous, though.

That is the definition of fanboying. You got offended someone didn't think a story you like is perfect and responded in a juvenile whiny way.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Lurdiak posted:

Well, I guess you can apply death of the author to forum posts, and I can't stop you.

I was responding to more or less the entire page the conversation was happening on.

This isn't a book and posters can and do lie all the time so don't be dense.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Lurdiak posted:

I was referring to how you were applying non-existent intent to my post.

This argument is starting to go in circles.

I know what you were trying to say, it was dumb was my point.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Usually you don't go for lovely writing but if that is what they wanted then yeah they nailed it.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

catlord posted:

I don't think Batman and Robin is any good. In fact, it's god-awful and makes no sense even within itself. I still have no idea why Poison Ivy and Mr. Freeze teamed up considering their plans are so diametrically opposed to each other. It's fascinating to watch though. I will also defend Batman Forever though. Genuinely good? Maybe not, it's decent at best, but fun and incredibly watchable? Yeah, I'll agree with that. It has no place being set next to Batman and Robin like some people do, that's for sure. Tommy Lee Jones' Two-Face is strange because I don't believe there's ever been a Two-Face like him before or since.

Yeah B & R is proof camp isn't always fun.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

... Yes? Like a lot of genuine good mecha shows have actual good plots to go along with it because robots bashing themselves mindlessly actually isn't that fun.

I don't think there are that many, Gundam is probably the best example but their plots are god awful.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

TTG is like Always Sunny in Philadelphia but for children, it's great.

Also lol at someone pretending Looney Toons have rhyme or reason for what it did, it was pure nonsense.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

ManlyGrunting posted:

Well we're also slapfighting over TTG again, so the thread's getting more efficient :shepicide:

To be fair it's one guy who hates TTG for whatever reason.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Lurdiak posted:

To be fair, Red Son was more of a horrible utopia.

Only until those lesser beings realized that divine rule was the true path

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

TFRazorsaw posted:

I mean, they basically derived their character designs from the old show and use the same voice actors, as well as versions of specific villains that differ heavily from their comic depictions, as well as villains that originated in or are exclusive to the show.

Whereas the old show completely did its own thing, and didn't even try to be anything like BTAS beyond broad similarities that had become standards of animation and character design by that point.

It also exists because of the success of the New Teen Titans Shorts that aired on DC Nation.

If they didn't want comparisons to the old show... I'm sorry, but what did they expect? I feel the show is poor on its own lack of merit, but really, it feels incredibly naive to expect the old fanbase not to judge it at all when it's deriving so very much from it. The old cartoon tried to strike a balance between deriving inspiration from the comics and taking its own direction and identity, but TTG relies on the old show far more than the original did the comics or any other contemporary cartoons.

They were always going to get comparisons to the old show, and I don't think they care about what some whiny fans who can't let go of their childhood think.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

TFRazorsaw posted:

sure, that's why they made at least four episodes about telling them off.

because they don't care.

Yes, I am glad you agree so now you can stop whining about it and move on.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

I just saw an episode were the main threat is them being rebooted and the characters finding out they were rebooted once before and wishing they were still cool like that.

So I don't think so Tim

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

But at no point do they lambast the past show at all.

They give reasons why it was cool and then drop it.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

TFRazorsaw posted:

I thought we were talking about the show's relationship with people who compare it to the old one, not the old show itself. I don't get the sense TTG HAS an opinion it wants to state about its source material other regarding it as a as a mine for absurdity and half-hearted regurgitation of some of their plots.

It doesn't, it just shits on the old fan base because it's funny and ultimately it's a comedy.

There is no deep message here and there shouldn't be.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Wheat Loaf posted:

Wasn't part of Hush's deal this angle of "Bruce Wayne became Batman because his parents died; Hush became Hush because his parents... didn't!"?

Is....is that all it takes.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Because people like it and don’t have your hang ups I would guess

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Lurdiak posted:

My only hang-up is that I think Kirkman's a poo poo writer. But it's nice to know that BSS posters still can't express an opinion without an idiot trying to diagnose them with something.

Yeah, I guess the pop culture landscape has changed quite a bit since the comic originally came out, got all those people sniffing around for licensing, then scared everyone off once they realized what the comic was actually about.

I didn’t diagnose you with anything, you seemed to want a Peter Parker type poo poo and can’t let go that it wasn’t that. Which is literally what you said.

But be pissy if it makes you feel better.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

SlothfulCobra posted:

Isn't that basically how the Justice Lords started in JLA?

Nah Superman straight up kills lex no attempts at rationalization

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

I mean that’s fair the Marvel Zonbie comics kind of suck already

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

It’s audience is also 90% bots

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Also they through their problems in a box and are shocked when they don’t just get better.

Krypton really is earth

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

I would kill for a comic where he was an adult

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Honestly the 90s x-men cartoon is nearly incomprehensible and it only really works in that kids generally will roll with anything if you at least pretend it makes sense