Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Suleman
Sep 4, 2011

El Gallinero Gros posted:

This reminds me of the great Kingpin line where for some reason he helps Spider-Man and is fighting Scorpion, and tears his tail right off and yeets the dude out a window, then goes "A pity. I broke him".

Ah, here were are, at 52:08.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jg3he8uNmQo&t=3128s
...apparently "playback on other websites has been disabled", but just follow the link.

Sidenote: I love how at around 55:00, Spidey's shackled to a typical metal dentist torture bed, but the Kingpin has been courteous enough to put a pillow under his head.

Suleman fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Mar 10, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suleman
Sep 4, 2011

AlternateNu posted:

This is the same studio that did Korra, isn't it?

Show is cute, but you can tell where they cut corners in the animation.

Yes, Studio Mir! After the horrible and honestly completely excessive overwork they experienced during making Korra, they actually have policies in place to prevent that sort of thing. This means more limited animation and more CGI, etc. This is also why Voltron wasn't as pretty and smooth as Korra was. The animation does its job, and if slightly worse animation means better working conditions for the animators, that's fine by me.

Suleman
Sep 4, 2011

NikkolasKing posted:

I fuckin' loved Metallo when I watched STAS as a kid. It was really sad what happened to him. It's been forever but IIRC the dude who became Metallo didn't really understand what would happen to him and he ends up all alone and broken on some island.

But to segue into a wider point, he shows up later as jut a generic thug in a villain team. This is such a repeated problem in tehse cartoons and I assume comics, too. I remember multiple villains who got nice, nuanced portrayals when they were solo but they ienvitably would show up as just a bad guy or bad girl in a team and it sucked. It also happened to Poison Ivy in The Batman who is my favorite animated Ivy. She had this cool, original backstory for the show but later on she's just one of many rogues to be defeated.

Even Killer Croc had some complexity in his debut episode! But, yeah, it's a trend in superhero media, I noticed it even when reading 60s Marvel comics.

Suleman
Sep 4, 2011

I AM GRANDO posted:

I’m watching the first episode of My Adventures with Superman, and I don’t know why this bothers me, but Lois’ alarm clock clearly has a digital display, but when the time flips over it makes a clack sound like a 70s flip clock.

If you think that's nitpicking, check this out:

These are both from the same episode, minutes apart. Clark is somehow both wearing a t-shirt and his costume right under his dress shirt.

Suleman
Sep 4, 2011

NikkolasKing posted:

Also, not terribly related, but I remember instantly thinking when I heard Firefly "that is Garrett from Extreme Ghosbusters." And I think Batman is actually Eduardo from EG, too. Man, little me loved Extreme Ghosbusters. Long before everyone complained about poo poo being "woke" they made a show where a bunch of white guys were replaced by an African-American, a Latino, a guy in a wheelchair, and a Goth girl. But nobody cared or whined cuz it was good.

Oh, they did. There were bitter Ghostbusters fans already by that point. There just wasn't a convenient soapbox for them to get their opinions to the larger audiences, since the Internet was less universal.

Suleman
Sep 4, 2011
Moon Girl And Devil Dinosaur season 2 is a lot of fun.

Some surprising characters in there, including Lady Bullseye as a peppy, kindergarten teachery older lady leading a ruthless gang of thieves.

Suleman
Sep 4, 2011

NikkolasKing posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IJ5W7-abyvY

Is Magneto this pretty in the comics? I had forgotten how he looked in TAS.

I've been thinking I'll actually re-watch it before starting up '97. It's been many, many years since I really sat down and watched an episode.

He was a pretty generic Jack Kirby villain looking guy in the Silver Age.

He turned into a handsome silver fox when he returned for Claremont's run (late 70s -> early 90s), which gave him the sympathetic backstory. Later artists would basically keep him handsome, jacked and white-haired, though his exact appearance varied from artist to artist.

Suleman fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Mar 26, 2024

Suleman
Sep 4, 2011

MonsterEnvy posted:

Creed’s classic look is indeed great.

Interestingly, Sabretooth is another one of those characters who got a major glow-up later on. In his earlier appearances, he's way more feral and inhuman-looking.

Then Jim Lee gets his hands on the character and turns him into a much more suave and attractive but still dangerous looking guy.

Suleman
Sep 4, 2011

Dawgstar posted:

When does 'Creed tries to murder Logan on the latter's birthday' start?

More like "murders everyone Logan loves", but anyway:

In terms of comic publication, here (published in 1989):
https://marvel.fandom.com/wiki/Wolverine_Vol_2_10

In terms of in-universe timeline, around 1910.

That's getting pretty off-topic for the animated show thread, though.

Suleman
Sep 4, 2011

PicklePants posted:

The pink guy was no one. They just drew up a guy and slapped him in to fill out the villain side.

Yeah.

https://www.cbr.com/x-men-animated-series-mystery-villain/

Comic Book Resources posted:

But the weirdest question asked about the titles concerns the little green man with the big bald head. Who is he? Fan sites have hazarded guesses. I thought I just didn’t know the books well enough. But Larry [Houston – the designer of the credits] recently told me (after a fan asked) that the bald guy was a mistake by AKOM (the animation studio) that they wouldn’t fix. He isn’t anybody! Who he may have been meant to be has long been forgotten. He’s just another example of a flaw caused by lack of time and money, but one that seems to have been forgiven by the fans.

Suleman
Sep 4, 2011

SlothfulCobra posted:

Nah, he wanted to pair her off with Colossus and got really angry when Secret Wars happened and Colossus fell in love with some random alien girl.

I do wonder if John Byrne as Claremont's artist was a factor at all in the Kitty-Colossus relationship, considering how Heather Hudson in Byrne's Alpha Flight was specifically stated to be 17 years old when she pressured the 30+ year old Mac into marrying her.

EDIT:
And Sue in Byrne's FF fell in love with the older Reed when she was a young girl.

Suleman fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Apr 2, 2024

Suleman
Sep 4, 2011

Air Skwirl posted:

RE: Kitty Pryde in Excalibur, in real time she hadn't been in any sort of school for like a decade at least by the time she met Pete Wisdom, I can absolutely think Ellis thought she was in her early-mid twenties.

Close, but there was the time Kitty was sent to a boarding school for a couple of issues in 1990 in Claremont's final story for the series. Which seemed like an excuse to draw high school girls fighting and having cheerleading contests.
https://marvel.fandom.com/wiki/Girls%27_School_from_Heck

Suleman
Sep 4, 2011
For the record, X-Men 97 has a tie-in prequel comic that answers the biggest questions on everyone's mind.

Suleman
Sep 4, 2011

NikkolasKing posted:

Has comic book Magneto ever worn a costume like the one in '97? I assume so, it just looks so different from any version I have seen from comics or adaptations. But I really dig it.

As mentioned, he wore it during and around the "Trial Of Magneto" storyline in Uncanny X-Men #200.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suleman
Sep 4, 2011

GateOfD posted:

Has Beast done anything in the comics?
the other more famous X-men, they just leak into the public mainframe, but I don't know much about him other than he's blue and he's smart.

Let's see some of his accomplishments. Heavy spoilers here.

He was mostly the X-Men's tech support between 1990-2020. He spent most of the 90s helping to cure the Legacy Virus, the mutant AIDS allegory.
His evil alternate universe counterpart travelled to the mainline universe, genetically experimented on vulnerable New York residents, which led to the community of sewer-dwelling non-human-passing mutants known as the Morlocks. That ended badly. That counterpart also kidnapped regular Hank and pretended to be him for a while.
Became a cat person for a few years. That was when he pretended to be gay to spite his ex-girlfriend.
When he thought Cyclops becoming a pro-mutant terrorist was going too far, he kidnapped younger versions of the original X-Men from the past (including himself) to remind Cyclops of Xavier's original dream or something. This caused massive temporal chaos which destroyed entire timelines. The normally passively observing Watcher popped by just to say how much he personally despised Hank for what he had done.
When a crossover pitted human and mutant superheroes against each other, he initially sided with the humans.
When the mutant sovereign nation Krakoa was formed, he became the leader of its CIA. He proceeded to brainwash his own morality away to be more "objective" and committed so many war crimes.

Currently, as in the most recent issues, a more moral cloned version of himself with no memory from the past few years is fighting against his current self, who is trying to commit genocide for the "greater good".

Suleman fucked around with this message at 14:01 on Apr 21, 2024