Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

cant cook creole bream posted:

Did Stacey have pink streaks before at some point, or did she steal that hairdo from the other Gwen?

She didn't, which is just. Really confusing. She's Spider-Gwen but nobody calls her that and she also looks like Gwenpool now who has no relation to Gwen Stacy or Deadpool except she looks like them and has a similar name. And now Spider-Gwen is actually Ghost-Spider but still probably going to be referred to as Spider-Gwen but not in-fiction and she looks like Gwenpool but has no relation and :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Codependent Poster posted:

Brief graphic nudity?

You're gonna find out why they call him Captain Boomerang.

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

The Question IRL posted:

Yeah but it's also done in such a way that it can be Terra came back to life and decided she wanted to live as a normal school kid and not be a superhero.

Like it's ambigeous* enough that you can pick either and not be wrong. But everyone hammered home about how it can only be "Beast Boy is crazy and nothing else."

Didn't it show that her stone-ified body was gone, too? I remember thinking it was really obvious that she came back and just wanted to be normal.

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

ToastyPotato posted:

So people got mad that they added some legit female characters to the show for the first time in decades?

People have hid behind the excuses that their climb to power was rushed or somehow ruined forms that haven’t been relevant in the series for... what, 20+ years? And it’s far from the series’ worst flaws (everything with Trunks’ arc is atrocious but excused due to nostalgia.)

That’s not to say they’re all necessarily whining chuds in this case, just that Dragonball fans harp on irrelevant poo poo that doesn’t matter a lot.

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Nanigans posted:

I’ll admit the very end sucked, and they time traveled once or twice too many, but Trunks’ arc is generally considered the best arc in Super. Why didn’t you like it?

For all of those reasons, basically. All the instances of time travel felt so weirdly paced, and the plot to what amounts to "it's evil Goku" felt insanely convoluted for what is otherwise a very simple show about punching things.

Also a Youtube link for the Young Justice footage: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z2y40b_1wIg

It's completely recaps and spoils season 2, so don't watch if you were planning on catching up.

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

On one hand I like YJ introducing so many characters.

On the other hand please stop introducing characters YJ you ignored half the cast in season 2 as it was why would you put in even more you madmen

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

MonsterEnvy posted:

Man I just realized how much range Khary has. I did not realize he was Kaldur, Manta, Black Lighting and Brick. They all sound so different.

Really? Because genuinely they all sound super similar to me. I just hear Cyborg doing slightly different voices.

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

420 Gank Mid posted:

Oh, they're doing The Judas Contract again.

I hope that's a fakeout because lmbo if they're doing another animated adaption of the same loving story.

Related, I can't be the only one who was super confused about Beast Boy's girlfriend being a different blonde eastern-Euro princess in the middle of all the Terra stuff.

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

MonsterEnvy posted:

She's a Queen actually. We also met her before back in season 1.

Yeah, I had to wiki that one for a refresher, but it the moment it seemed very in-character for the show. :v:

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Dawgstar posted:

And also, must people keep going back to The Killing Joke? (Although the answer is clearly yes, for whatever reason.)

This is also the show that's also rehashing the Judas Contract for the millionth time, so basically time is a flat circle

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

jng2058 posted:

Yes it does seem to be doing that, but I have hopes that they'll be playing a deeper game than that. Let's not forget that this was the show that took a main character from S1 and had him spend all of S2 as a double agent. After a S1 which had the character who obsessed with there being a double agent in the League turn out to BE the double agent in the League!

In short, unlike most Teen Titans teams, "The Team" have seen the whole "inserted double agent" ploy from BOTH sides of the coin. If there was anyone able to figure out "Oh, Tara's betraying us to the LoS. Better use that to gently caress with the Light when they think they're beating us" for a season finale turnaround it's these guys. As such, deliberately playing up the Judas Contract similarities could be their way of lulling us to sleep so we don't see the turnabout coming.

Which I have! Probably. If it goes that way, I mean.

It's my honest hope this one's a fake out since it would be really fitting, yeah. I remember there was a post earlier here about it being Dr. Jace instead, and that also made a fair amount of sense and would probably hit harder if they're trying to recreate the same vibes of the original story.

Nodosaur posted:

The millionth time? It’s been animated all of twice, and only one of them had Terra anywhere close to her original characterization.

I'll remember to use a less exaggerating exaggeration next time!

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Nodosaur posted:

I just don’t understand how a storyline that’s only ever been reimagined a handful of times can be overplayed.

This isn’t TDKR or Death of Superman, here.

I mean if you're looking at animated adaptions in particular (because this is that thread) then Death of Superman and Judas Contract are both at 3 now, which is probably too many times for any story to be retold, honestly. I think it being only 2 years out from the last animated movie it was in also soured me on it showing up in YJ again, along with season 3 aiming for a more "mature" storyline and what it could imply with gross poo poo coming out of that particular story.

I'm sure most people don't care, but I never cared for the storyline much so having it roped into a series I've liked a lot otherwise is annoying. Same with the Killing Joke honestly, though at least with YJ it's just an implied background detail.

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

TwoPair posted:

Geez, that's not out yet? That was like one of the whole platform's main selling points, iirc.

They dolled out half the season weekly and then took months off.

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

TheHan posted:

To be fair for a long time most of the covert team was running around with the logos of prominent Justice League members slapped all over them.

Yeah, but, buuuuut.

Their costumes had a night mode. Completely incognito.

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

site posted:

That's just the teaser from last year

Here's the new one

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=knb3QjQWQaQ

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Eat dirt, Cyclops.

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Is that new Batman animated feature Soul of the Dragon any good

It’s pretty good. They have a lot of fun with the 70s kung-fu movie theme, and Batman is much more of a side character so everyone else gets a lot of shine.

The actual plot is kinda weak, but I think the characters being great carries the whole thing.

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

I however would like to exclusively blame the United States.

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

IShallRiseAgain posted:

X-men Evolution got a decent amount of seasons at least, and a decent ending. Wolverine and the X-Men deserves it more.

I always see people talk that one up and having rewatched them both recently, I can say with confidence,

Dawgstar posted:

X-Men Evolution deserves it more. :colbert:

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Gaz-L posted:

I wonder what route they go: Straight continuation, tongue-in-cheek self-parody or more modern story arcs/characters in the old style?

Isn't the implication that it's called 97 because it's picking up where it left off in 96?

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

I've been trying to keep up with Young Justice but I cannot for the life of me figure out who this show is being made for anymore

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Yeah, even where there's interesting stuff with the characters you want to see get screentime it's just... rough.

What kills me more than anything is how much it's all just talking. Like this last string of Atlantis episodes is probably the only time I've just gotten fed up with a TV show and fast forwarded through parts because it truly is just Phantom Menace level "people sitting around and talking about politics." Like do you wanna see the Outsiders doing cool superhero stuff and being a team? gently caress off, have some still photos that imply they're a cool team, and a storyline about Beast Boy being depressed while all his friends monologue at him and he just keeps being depressed for like 10 episodes. Also, let's learn about the socio-political structure of some places that truly do not matter.

Like I get that their budget is 'a shoe string and good intentions' but like why make the show at this point. At the end of episode 17 they actual sped up the audio on Vandal Savage's monologue to fit it in for the runtime! Why is this kid's show about superheroes just people talking about politics and depression???

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

I do appreciate the hook of them following up on the original characters and really seeing them grow up in a big way, but also like. The biggest complaints about the show were that the cast was Much Too Big and none of these new characters you were excited to see introduced would get any actual screentime. Like Wonder Girl is on the team implicitly as the sidekick of one of the ~Big Three~ and has maybe 4 whole lines across the 3 seasons she's been in.

So naturally the response to "none of these characters get any development or screentime" is "let's really focus on the characters who've had multiple seasons of screentime." :v:

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

X-O posted:

It's not canon. Peter never met Doc Ock or Norman in the MCU. Norman is supposed to start as his mentor in this series.

Yeah that was my thought and then the article on Marvel.com says

quote:

Yes, your Spidey sense are tingling and more Spider-Man is swimming this way with Spider-Man: Freshman Year, coming in 2024. The animated series follows Peter Parker on his way to becoming Spider-Man in the MCU, starting with his freshman year of high school of course. Peter’s journey in the series will be unlike we've ever seen and a style that celebrates the character’s early comic book roots.

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Mister Kingdom posted:

Will it be four hours long?

Shot entirely in slow motion, and if you speed it up it's just the normal runtime.

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

You should just watch all of Evolution because it's the only good animated X-Men show

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Skwirl posted:

The 90s show was loving iconic and Wolverine and the X-Men was way the gently caress better than it should be.

The 90s show was fine for the time and it makes for some great Youtube clips, but the show itself has aged like milk.

I don't know what anyone who praises Wolverine was on when they watched it either, but it's got the same problem as late season Young Justice where the vast majority of it is just talking because there's no budget. 40 minutes of talking, 5 minutes of horribly budgeted action with a main character who can't really use his powers in that medium. Sweet kid's cartoon, that. Also? The opening is loving awful.

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Sockser posted:

UH, MODS?!?!

If your opening doesn't have a hummable catchy tune, it's a bad intro! It's just super generic "superhero" music from a library with random grunts over top.

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

The Question IRL posted:

I think people are posting at cross purposes here. I think poster Abroham Lincoln is talking about the opening to "Wolverine and the X-Men" being awful, not the 90's Fox X-Men cartoon.

Yeah. TAS and Evolution both have really good intros. Watching through all 3 series in order on D+ just made Wolverine's stand out so much more. It also made Evolution stand out more than I remember it by actually being competently made. :v:

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Young Justice Season 4 aka "we ran out of budget so hard that all we could afford to do is pay the voice actors to monologue over still images.

But also we couldn't afford to get them in to rerecord and the monologue went long, so now it's at 105% speed."

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

You know I always heard the way to someone's heart was through the rear end but I never believed it until now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Gaz-L posted:

Also, does Morph becoming Magik make any sense in the TAS continuity? I thought she was still a tiny child in the like 2 eps Piotr is in?

As a wise man once said:

it don't matter, none of this matters