Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Baby Doll is one of those Batman characters who definitely should be used more but she doesn't really work as a standard recurring Bat Villain so you'd need to have something else for her to do to justify showing up, she would probably be a good choice to do a Penguin style overhaul where she's gone "legit" but in a manner that leaves her adjacent enough to Gotham's criminal underbelly to justify her interacting with the Bat Family on a semi regular basis

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Nodosaur posted:

More shows need to be like that. Yes I'm serious, and Transformers/G.I.Joepilled

It'll never happen but I would pay so much money for an animated adaptation of the Tom Scioli Transformers vs GI Joe comics

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Nodosaur posted:

I want an adaptation AND a toyline

Oh yes I've had this idea in my head for years for a TF/GI Joe crossover line where the human figures are done at the 1.25 inch scale that Titan/Prim Master figures use(so about 3 times smaller than the standard 3.75 inch scale GI Joe usually uses) so that the Transformers can have Joe/Cobra vehicle alt modes that mesh up with how the original A Real American Hero line handled it but still fit with standard Transformers figures in a collection not to mention a larger array of vehicles could potentially be covered as part of it*

*for example the existing Collaborative line already did a Megatron that turns into a HISS Tank, since that one has its vehicle mode scaled to 3.75 inch scale it means that figure ended up Leader Class sized, if it had been done under my 1.25 inch scale concept it could have been done as a small Deluxe Class figure in all likelihood, indeed outside of the absolute biggest vehicles or playsets most GI Joe or Cobra vehicles would comfortably fit in the Deluxe to Voyager size range in this concept

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Don't forget the period in the 90's where after getting cancer from wearing a Kryptonite ring for a while he transferred his mind into a fresh clone body(that had not only a full head of hair but also a beard), let everyone think he died and in his new body pretended to be his own long lost son from Australia and was loving Supergirl* for a while

*mind you because of a policy the comics had at the time Clark was the only living Kryptonian allowed to be around so this Supergirl was instead a shapeshifter created by the Lex Luthor of an alternate pocket dimension, she later on would merge with a teenage girl and become an Angel because comics

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Nodosaur posted:

I wish they'd have found a role for the Humanite. He deserves acknowledgement as the first true supervillain ever.

Yeah outside of the DCAU using him a couple times and some Elseworlds uses like The Golden Age or Batman & Superman Generations, he pretty much only ever shows up these days for them to do cheesy brain swapping stories

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

I'm willing to wait for a trailer before making GBS threads on these but yeah odds of them being good are fairly low

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Larryb posted:

Oh yeah, I forgot there was a Filmation one too. Are the first 3 cartoon shows worth a watch out of curiosity (I started with STAS)?

The 1940's Fleischer/Famous Studios shorts are very much worth watching(mind you they were made in during the 40's so there is some racial content in several of them), they actually put out a rather good Blu-Ray set for all 17 of them a couple months ago that is rather reasonably priced

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

I AM GRANDO posted:

Anyone interested in what he would do with new Gargoyles episodes should look at the 20 years of fan Q&A archives on his site. He imagined a lot of content, including five spin-offs and an epic franchise conclusion set 100 years in the future where Xanatos’s grandson and the collective forces of humanity lead a desperate war against the Space Spawn, who have invaded Earth. I guess the gargoyles would also be involved?

The dude’s got a big imagination and is probably way too into lore and story bibles vs keeping a story manageable, but I guess he did pull off a pretty impressive and successful story starting with “New York has gargoyles who fight crime.”

To be fair the whole reason he came up with so many spinoff ideas is because before Jeffrey Katzenberg left Disney to found DreamWorks one of his many very ambitious plans had been for Gargoyles to be the launching point for an entire superhero universe so that Disney could have its own equivalent to DC and Marvel, which is why the second season not only got its order extended to 52 episodes(it was originally only going to be 26 episodes from my recollection)* but also why so many episodes in Season 2 are basically setting up other heroes around the world, this obviously didn't work out once Katzenberg left which is probably why Weisman got axed during Season 3, Disney would flirt a bit with other attempts at securing a hold in the boys market(the period where they owned Power Rangers as well as an aborted attempt at doing a "Heroes" line that would have been the distaff equivalent of the Disney Princess line) before they decided to just buy out some of the bigger existing entities with Marvel and Star Wars

*if you pay attention during a rewatch of Season 2 it actually becomes pretty obvious in certain spots where things got shuffled around or altered because of the extension

drrockso20 fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Aug 14, 2023

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

cant cook creole bream posted:

How far is Metropolis from the Kent farm in Kansas anyway? It's not on the eastcoast, right? Otherwise that would be quite an excessive travel just to visit your daughter's boyfriend's family for a dinner.

Traditionally Metropolis is in Delaware(Gotham nearby in New Jersey), Smallville being in Kansas is a slightly newer development having been introduced by the first Christopher Reeves Superman film, prior to that it usually was depicted as being not too far from Metropolis(though Pre-Crisis both Ma and Pa Kent had passed away by the time Clark had become Superman so he didn't really have much reason to visit his home town on a regular basis)

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Most modern depictions of Amanda Waller have the issue of making her not only way too much of a bastard but also a really really loving stupid one, JLU is basically one of the only times in the last 20 years or so where someone actually understood the character and did her right

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

OnimaruXLR posted:

I don't wanna bully the dead, but the level of downgrade from Spectacular Spider-Man to Young Justice is kind of baffling, considering how much of the same talent is involved+the legacy of DC cartoons (at least, the TV ones)

I'm gonna blame Geoff Johns for this somehow

I wonder what Weisman is gonna work on next

Lately he's been involved with the Gargoyles comics that Dynamite has been publishing, those have been pretty fun

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

My guess is they just thought it worked fine as a show name* but was too corny to use as an in-universe team name and using another actual team name would have been confusing

*especially since they were probably forced to use it by marketing since Young Justice the show has basically nothing in common with the 90's comic of the same name, I imagine Weisman probably would have just used the Titans name if it had been available

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Larryb posted:

Was the 2011 comic any better than the show? Also did they actually use the team name there?

Pretty sure that comic was just the tie-in comic for the show so probably about the same

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Nanigans posted:

Yeah. I’ll wait until it’s all out and see if people liked it. But it’s not appointment viewing anymore.

That Very Merry Batman looks cute but I hate Damian on principle so

Based off the trailer that version of Damian definitely seems to only really have in common with other versions him being named Damian and being Bruce Wayne's biological son

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Nanigans posted:

That’s kinda my problem with Damian in the first place. Bruce has enough sons. They didn’t need to make him a “real” father. Sends kind of a weird message to adopted kids imo.

Way I see it part of Damian's role is to specifically refute that line of thought, affirming that the previous Robins(and Cass) are just as much Bruce's kids as he is(indeed the Bat Family in the form the fandom tends to like the best only really begins solidifying after Damian becomes Robin)

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Reminds me of a fanfic I read a while ago that was a sequel to the Scooby-Doo crossover episode of Johnny Bravo that broadened it to crossover with a bunch of other WB properties as well as being a crossover/sequel to JoJo's Bizarre Adventures: The Steel Ball Run and actually managed to make what should have been a complete pile of nonsense into something actually rather compelling

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

SlothfulCobra posted:

I think there's been 3.
  • Scooby Doo and the Ghoul School, which is probably the weakest example because it's the most grounded, but Scooby and Shaggy and Scrappy seem to go to another world to deal with its eccentricities.
  • Scooby Doo and the Goblin King, where Scooby and Shaggy get more explicitly transported to another world to defeat the demon goblin king.
  • Scooby Doo and the Reluctant Werewolf, where Shaggy is summoned by dracula to compete in a race and given the cheat power of being a werewolf I guess
The problem is that often when people get weirder with the premise that they're putting Scooby Doo through, they tend to leave Fred, Velma, and Daphne behind, and then Shaggy and Scooby as the silly comic relief characters aren't really good at carrying stories on their own. Even the weirdest of the newer movies try to keep things in balance by slowly ramping up to the weirdness.

It's more that this is being made in Japan by a Japanese branch of the company with a Japanese animation studio and a Japanese cast and crew (that presumably will be dubbed by American VAs eventually, but that hasn't really been announced yet), and it's going to be marketed to a Japanese audience plus weebs.

Nah Ghoul School wasn't an Isekei, it took place in the real world the titular school just happened to be out in the middle of nowhere(aside from the neighboring military school for human boys)

And yeah the whole "Red Shirt Shaggy" era of films was kind of funny with excluding the other members of Mystery Inc, though I've long suspected that Shaggy's one off girlfriend from Reluctant Werewolf probably was originally going to be either Daphne or Velma before they decided to turn her into an OC, shame for as much as Scooby-Doo likes doing callbacks to past stuff they mostly ignore the Red Shirt Shaggy films(indeed the most love any of them got was outside of Scooby-Doo entirely when the Ghoul School characters made a guest appearance on an episode of OK KO: Let's Be Heroes)

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

NikkolasKing posted:

It's something I've seen people online criticizing forever, why there are a zillion superhumans and poo poo in Marvel but only Mutants are perpetually on the cusp of genocide.

Also even in the old cartoon, wasn't the mutant ethnostate tried? Asteroid M? Ruined by the dork with the super whiny voice. It was an awesomely "this guy is a total slimeball who will betray you" voice, though.

X-Men Grand Design is pretty much the only time I've seen someone come up with a semi reasonable explanation for why Mutant hatred is so ingrained and widespread

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

OnimaruXLR posted:

The mutant metaphor really falls apart when it can either be the equivalent of being born with a debilitating, disfiguring physical condition or the practical equivalent of being a super rich trust fund baby.

I'm kind of surprised we don't see more inter-sectarian conflict between mutant groups because of it, to be honest. There were the Morlocks but Storm beat Callisto in a knife fight and they fall fell in line (even if some of them like Marrow felt bitter about it). Most of the time it's strictly limited to "Co-existence good" or "co-existence bad"

Hell, I'm surprised there isn't' a whole swath of people in the Marvel Universe, mutants and otherwise, who are freak assed paranoid about psychics considering how dubious they can be. We've got Professor Charles "The ends don't justify the means, except when I say they do, which I do often" Xavier, Emma "Yeah I blew up a horse what of it?" Frost, Jean "Constantly under the influence of an entity beyond human comprehension" Grey, and Quentin "school shooter" Quire, and that's among the good guys

Think I'm gonna need context for that horse one...

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Weapon X was eventually revealed to be X as in the Roman Numeral for 10 not the letter X, and part of a series of super soldier experiments as part of some multinational conspiracy(the first incarnation was Project Rebirth aka the super soldier project that created Captain America)

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Air Skwirl posted:

She set Fire star's horse on fire in an attempt to get her to join her rival school to Xavier's, I believe.

So did she do it mundanely or did she ignite a horse with her mind?

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

OnimaruXLR posted:

For some reason this even-more-retro look than the original animated series had is weirding me out

although it may almost entirely be that golden age Catwoman design. Are we gonna get yellow bodysuit and purse Batwoman too?

To be fair The Brave & The Bold used that Catwoman costume too and for that matter that specific Batwoman tpo

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Early Golden Age DC stuff can be a real hoot if you're able to tolerate the old timey racism and/or sexism that can crop up in them

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

And to think the path to her becoming a good guy started because she smooched Rom The Space Knight

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Air Skwirl posted:

I don't think it was Fox censoring it, since it aired in the same block as BTAS which had real guns and actual punching of bad guys.

Fox actually had some pretty ridiculous restrictions for BTAS, they just happened to be masters at working around said restrictions

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Its a bit of both from my recollection, which is why Blackheart and Shuma Gorath made it in, the guys at Capcom wanted interesting looking villains hence why they got chosen even though both were very obscure at the time

And then you had things like War Machine making it in over Iron Man cause another company had the rights to him for video games at the time

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

I AM GRANDO posted:

That’s the one where Black Panther shows up hiding behind a rock and nobody acknowledges him or gives any way for anyone watching the show to have any idea who he is.

The reason that happened is because he's one of several characters who they snuck in cameos of by not naming them in the script and then having the animators stick them in and by the finished episode came back it would be too late to take them out, they also did it with Doctor Strange and Thor among others

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

I AM GRANDO posted:

I respect it. I remember Spiderman’s hand showing up for two seconds as part of a montage as well.

Was Captain America exempt from cameo rules? I remember him teaming up with Wolverine and also being in many Spiderman episodes.

From what I recall Captain America having that flashback team up with Logan was meant to be a backdoor pilot for a Captain America series set during WW2 that never got made, much like Ghost Rider showing up in the last episode of the Fantastic Four cartoon to chump Galactus was meant to tease for a Ghost Rider cartoon that also never happened(but got far enough in development that a toyline had been made and would get released anyways)

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Codependent Poster posted:

Eh, I dunno. I think it's more likely because there was an X-Men comic with that premise and it's in the sweet spot for what the show was adapting. Plus it had that iconic Jim Lee cover.

Them developing but never completing a Captain America cartoon in the 90's is a known thing, still have lying around somewhere one of those official "History of Marvel Comics" books(of which they made a bunch of during the 90's and early aughts, like I've read at least 3 of them) that directly mentions that one and even showed a piece or two of production art for it

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

NikkolasKing posted:

Mercy Graves was invented for STAS I believe. Remember, Luthor's female bodyguard.

I have also always felt Superman TAS was unfairly overshadowed by BTAS. Even still, Justice League was always my favorite DCAU series.

But speaking of definitive portrayals, I remember a long, long time ago now I wa inquiring elsewhere about if I should watch The Batman. If B:TAS perfected Batman, why watch this other show? Somebody went on a long discussion of how BTAS Poison Ivy really is...nothing. She's a sexy woman with some vines. She doesn't even look plant-like. And they subsequently made a case why The Batman's Ivy is far more interesting in basically every way.

I thought they made a good case and I agree. Ivy's relationship with Harley is about all she has in BTAS.

The Batman is just a really fun show

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Monaghan posted:

Speaking as a current lawyer I would love to be a lawyer in comic book world. I can only imagine the hosed up precedents there would be.

There's a great short arc in Astro City about exactly that, though Astro City in general has always been great about depicting a world where Superheroes are a thing and how that affects everyday life

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

NikkolasKing posted:

Did you see TAS? It goes into some of it.

This dude rules
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AAS17Vo0SlI

Great now I need to go watch that Juggernaut fan dub again

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

The style for BTAS is very heavily cribbing from the 1940's Fleischer/Famous Studios Superman shorts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Darkseid's perceived villain decay is exactly why Grant Morrison did Final Crisis to both reaffirm his position as one of DC's top villains and to subsequently take him off the table for a good while