Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
Teen Titans Go is endearing to me. I won't pretend I go out of my way to watch episodes of it, but the showrunners are great. Their attitude about the show is awesome. I've gotten a few chuckles out of it.

TKJ was a mistake.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
You're kidding. The audience booed? People actually gave out about it?

And just like that, my faith in humanity swells.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

e X posted:

Kind of out of the loop an that one, why does the Killing joke adaption had a sex scene with Batgirl in it.

Bruce Timm thought it'd be neato. And Brian Azzarello thinks you're a pussy if you disagree or something like that.

Word's leaked to my Facebook and now that damned SJW thing is being tossed around. What a mess.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Roth posted:

I feel like that's really saying something that Teen Titans Go portrays a healthier relationship than The Killing Joke.

Is it though? The two have wildly different tones. Like inherently TTG is an optimistic program, so it makes sense that it would have a healthy relationship while The Killing Joke would have a shitshow.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
I'm really glad I can come here. Talking to my friends about the movie on Facebook has been....well, it's been really disheartening. I had a fellow tell me there's no sexism in The Killing Joke. I mean you can like TKJ, I do, but...come on. COME ON!

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
I've never thought Batman killed Joker cause that's not what he does and "Show him our way works", but to act like the ending isn't intentionally ambiguous is pretty pretentious. It's up for debate and has been for like 30 years. The only reason it's become certain that Batman didn't kill Joker is because later writers decided to (stupidly) fold The Killing Joke into standard DC canon. If it had stayed an Elseworlds story, it would be much more likely that Bats had had enough.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

ImpAtom posted:

That isn't what happened in the book. We have actual script pages showing that.

No it isn't. We have the script of The Killing Joke.

It isn't ambiguous. The reason it became a 'thing' is because Grant Morrison brought it up.

The script isn't in the copy of The Killing Joke that I read. That's not really relevant. Same way that the story being canon and Joker being alive is irrelevant. The comic itself leaves the ending ambiguous and open for interpretation. That's all I was saying. Redbackground being all "Lel ur wrong you misread it" is what I took issue with. I think most people here believe Batman didn't kill Joker or interpreted the story that way. It's debatable though in the context of JUST the story and no other supplementary material. It's not like the story doesn't have other moments that are left up in the air.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

ImpAtom posted:

No, it is absolutely relevant. You're free to have your own readings of a story. That is a good part of fiction. When you say "it was INTENDED to be (x) and anyone who disagrees is wrong" then you're speaking for the author and at that point the author's word becomes relevant.

(That said these guys poo poo all over the story anyway so... welp.)

You got hung up on the least important part of my sentence and you put words in my mouth.

TokenTrevor posted:

That said gently caress Timm for this stupid romance and literally nobody else I explain this too sees an issue with it and it's horrifying.

I think Barbara being Batgirl probably leads people to already assume they're romantically linked in some way. Like Goyer's random assumption that She-Hulk is Hulk's sexual partner.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

ImpAtom posted:

Then I legitimately don't know the point you're trying to make, sorry.

Equilibrium articulated it better, I guess. My only point was that The Killing Joke has an ambiguous ending and acting like it doesn't and going further by saying people who feel that way are wrong and dumb is pretentious. The ambiguity of the ending is cleared up by supplemental material and later writing, but the book itself is open to interpretation. That's all.

Equilibrium posted:

and Dick Grayson takes up his mantle. Bruce retires, but Batman doesn't die.

You mean Robin John Blake. Explicitly not Dick Grayson :colbert:

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Kurzon posted:

It's not easy to strangle someone to death. You have to be massively stronger, and even then it can take as long as 10 minutes (source: some books I read on the Camorra). Batman would not have been able to kill the Joker before the cops stopped him.

Are you using real life logic and science to explain why something wouldn't work in a comic book? Come on, son.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
That's why all the best Bat-adaptations focus on what Batman does for the city in the day time. Funding Arkham or one of the B and C tier heroes dropping that their tech is funded by Wayne Industries. Stuff like that.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
Not looking at things in comic terms leads to

Kurzon posted:

It's not easy to strangle someone to death. You have to be massively stronger, and even then it can take as long as 10 minutes (source: some books I read on the Camorra). Batman would not have been able to kill the Joker before the cops stopped him.

and then I'm no longer having fun. Seriously, applying real world logic to these stories is the worst thing ever.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
I feel like there is a difference between the story addressing just how much of Daredevil's crusade is altruistic and someone pointing out that Batman would make his fictional world better if he wasn't Batman. Character criticism and an examination of their flaws is great in-universe. I just don't like when real world logic is applied to them from outside the confines of the story. I dunno if I'm articulating it how I want to. It's like I don't mind if Alfred is like "Why don't you just stop being Batman and use the money to fund GCPD" but I absolutely did not enjoy Rises being a story about how lovely Batman is and why it doesn't work.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

ImpAtom posted:

I don't really get the difference unless you prefer it if Alfred is wrong?

There's a difference to me in using in-universe logic to criticize characters and plot beats and using real world logic to criticize characters and plot beats. The former tells a story, the latter is normally a waste of time. "Batman wouldn't work in real life" isn't really a hot take to me.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

ImpAtom posted:

If it isn't a hot take to you that's fine but it is, in fact, a meaningful take.

No, no it isn't. The central idea behind comic books is that these things would not work in our world. Analyzing exactly why may be meaningful to you, but it's just not to me. There's nothing I get from examining why you can't use laser beams to solve your problems. There's nothing insightful to me about a Batman story that takes a more realistic view of vigilante violence. It's a Batman story. And honestly, none of those stories can ever really do much with that question, because there still has to be Batman comics. To me personally, there is nothing to be gained from analyzing the realism (or lack thereof) in a superhero story and then using that to critique the character. Batman lives in a world where wearing a gaudy suit and punching the right guys makes the universe better. If you start poking holes in that because it would never work in our world, the entire universe collapses around it. It's what superhero comics is built on. And sure you can then say "Wow, dressing up like a bat would totally be dumb!" but I can't follow you to "That is a meaningful take on Batman".

ImpAtom posted:

A story about Superman which is optimistic, hopeful and forthright is just as valid as a story whose central thesis is "Superman is a fun power fantasy but we can't rely on power fantasy to solve problems." Both are taking advantage of the character's innate idea to say something, it just depends on what they're saying.

Like I look at this and I don't see the interesting story in the latter. Maybe I need an example of one of those stories that is good. I can see a story that is like "Sometimes you don't need the laser beam eyes" but that reads "Sometimes we don't need Superman". That doesn't make for a good Superman comic to me, I kinda go into it expecting situations that need him.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Franchescanado posted:

Surely you recognize this as a personal choice, and an embrace of shallow reading? This comes off as bragging that you refuse depth in your fiction. Not every Batman comic requires a deeper reading, but you would be missing out on the reading experience on great stories because you don't want to challenge yourself with engaging in the story on more than a reactionary or emotional level. Batman gets deconstructed because he is incredibly iconic, has a long history and is a human superhero. He is ripe for commentary on genre conventions and certain aspects of our culture. You seem to be proud that you want to ignore commentary in favor of "punchy punchy, bang bang". Your post sounds like your shoving fingertips into your ear and babbling 'He is the night" when we want to talk about subtext.

"Red Son" is a good Superman comic that explores those ideas with Superman, but there's only like three fight scenes so you'll probably be really bored and confused.

Wow, uh, no. Holy poo poo no. You're not getting what I'm putting down at all. I'm not against a deconstruction of Batman (or anyone else). I'm also not rejecting depth in comic books. The only thing I do not get any enjoyment out of is explaining why/how things in comic books would not work if they were real. I don't know where you got the rest of that stuff from. I believe there is depth in comics to find and discuss beyond "Wow this would be implausible in our world".

I am just seriously baffled by this. I didn't say any of that. My favorite Superman comic is All-Star. Not exactly a punchfest. Red Son is definitely not a story about "Maybe this universe doesn't actually require Superman because he's an unrealistic ideal that nobody could live up to". Not to me at least. A story that points out just how stupid and implausible it is to try and save the world in a giant Bat costume doesn't carry a point to me. Yeah you're right, but everyone signs on knowing that. You're not really making a statement with that hot take. And in-universe, there aren't many ways to go from there. Either Batman has to go "Nuh-uh" and look like an idiot or he has to go "Wow, that does make a lot of sense" and then Batman ends forever.

There's a lot of putting words in my mouth and talking down to me here. Chill, b.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
A Batgirl Year one movie would probably be pretty rad. I wish they had done that instead.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Franchescanado posted:

You rock, dude. :hfive: Is this collected in a trade?

Also, the friends I saw TKJ with mentioned that there's a Batgirl story where some of the other superheroine's invite her out for a girl's night, which he agrees to hesitantly only to have one of the best nights if her life, which takes place the night before the events of TKJ.

I haven't read it, but they said it's an a amazing short story, and really makes you love Barbara as a person, and with some tweaking (Bats telling Barb she needs a night off) would have been a great first act and made the story more tragic without changing characters or actual plot points.

Zatanna has some kind of half premonition that something awful is going to happen to Babs, so they go out. I think Wonder Woman is there too. They dance a poo poo ton.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

ToastyPotato posted:

Fair enough. I guess that is what happens when a series is a lightning rod for grim dark stories and villains who are so dark that we have to keep upping the ante on how dark they can be, all the while the main hero, who is also grim and dark, has a core philosophy to never kill.

It took a minute to realize how murderous Batman's rogues gallery is.

I actually quite like adaptations of Batman where they draw a line. Sure Joker and Harvey are fuckin lunatics, but Penguin and Riddler are legit freaked out by those guys. They wouldn't kill anyone. They're crooks, not murderes. I guess that kind of thing infringes on the 3rd best Rogues Gallery in comics.

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

The Killing Joke isn't a very good superhero story. The superhero element just doesn't add that much to the story, so you end up with a weird serial killer story where the detective and killer both dress very silly.

I'm not trying to be condescending. What is the superhero element? If the dressing silly and WE CAN'T KILL HIM and Bat-Signal doesn't do it, what is the missing stuff that you feel keeps it from being a superhero story? Not enough biffs and pows?

Okay, in that last line I was being condescending.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
I don't disagree because what they added was a dumpster fire, but how much more is there to do with that? Like 30 minutes of even more bad poo poo happening to Joker?

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
I don't get why they thought that video game would be the best way to tell that story. Looking at it, Nightwing is in the game, so it can't even be in the middle very much.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
I wish we could've kept that version of Batman. I'd read his comic/watch his show/play his game. As long as he brought the kids and all that.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
Ideally I would like to see every creator get their entire vision out because then the story can succeed or fail based solely on its worth. However, I would also like creators to be conscientious of the fact that they are never allowed that kind of freedom and should probably compensate for it. The Spider-Man 3 principle if you will.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
Does every Spider-Man adaptation have to start with geeky 16 year old Peter trying to work up the courage to talk to Gwen Stacy or whatever?

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

ToastyPotato posted:

Well to be fair, that is where the character's origin is, but also it's good for selling toys when your hero is also a kid.

I guess the meat of my question is "Do we always have to start at the beginning?" Considering BTAS is still the pillar of animated superhero series, I'm continually confused by the answer "Yes."

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

ToastyPotato posted:

More likely to appeal to kids if the main character is younger. That's really all it is. They already have a bunch of adult heroes, so having a kid one covers their bases and gets kids more interested.

Is that the way kids are in this day or is that just how execs perceive kids to be? I'm just looking around and we don't have very many teenage superheroes anymore. The only two I can think of that are popular would be Damian to some degree and I guess the most recent Spider-Man himself. But I'd imagine kids are looking at Iron Man and Thor.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Kurui Reiten posted:

It's also been almost universally wrong. If I remember correctly, the general reply to that has been "Kids didn't want to be Batman's kid sidekick, they wanted to be Batman". Marketing people think that kids need someone to embody as the tagalong to the hero, but they forget that kids want to be the coolest fucker in the room, not their idiot friend.

Yeah, this exactly. That stupid line of thinking created Chris Thorndyke and I will never forgive that.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
Can Season 3 take place between Seasons 1 and 2 and retcon whatever the video game was? If so, I'm down.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
Why on Earth would fans want to see Speedy? There are two. Unless they mean like...Thea from the Arrow series?

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

TFRazorsaw posted:

I feel like the underused characters in season 2 are a consequence of the episode number being cut and Weisman not wanting to let go of a single idea.

But like, Tim Drake just can't catch a break in media. Either he doesn't get to do anything, he's written more like Jason Todd as in BTAS, or he's just basically treated like Dick Grayson like in the Arlham games.

But Dick Grayson is already in the Arkham games. And in one out of his 2 appearances he didn't even get any lines.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
Which running gags were forced? Do not say Robin, I will fight you.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
The plasma hands were scary as poo poo and since I didn't know anything about Morbius, I had no idea that they were the product of censorship. I remember that show had a surprising number of other Marvel guys show up. Blade, Punisher, The Avengers. Also "Power of Web-Shooters....get real sticky!"

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

ToastyPotato posted:

I feel like I remember hearing that there was a bigger X-Men crossover planned?

Spidey definitely ended up in an episode (or maybe it was a two-parter) of the 90's X-Men show, so maybe?

Gaz-L posted:

Cross-posting from the DC thread, because I forgot this one even existed but I needed to vent about this piece of poo poo.

I'm sorry you subjected yourself to that. It really was very bad.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
I just wanted to talk about the Spider-Man/X-Men crossover from the 90's. You guys weren't kidding about the episode titles from Spidey's series. Neogenic Nightmare, Chapter IV: The Mutant Agenda. All it needs is a Turbo on there and it would put Capcom to shame.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fn7JTb_VV74

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
The cartoon has the symbiote come from a crashed rocket ship, right? But then it also did Secret Wars? I'm mis-remembering something.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
I remember that batshit insane stuff and I feel like Ben was there and Spidey met Stan Lee. All that. However, I also remember like the Dr. Doom stuff and the Fantastic Four were there. Was that all one massive crossover event?

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
I think it's great that Spidey didn't spend much time thinking about his conversation with Stan. "Hey wait...so you're the reason my Uncle Ben died?"

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
I thought we all agreed that blue Nightwing was better?

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
So who was around for Judas Contract that is getting subbed out for Blue Beetle? Cyborg?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
Maybe if he'd slapped the Liontamer on Deathstroke, I might give a poo poo about him.