Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Saw Mad Love for the first time yesterday, one of the best toons I've ever seen! Man that's good. Also looked into the comic version, and on the back not only Hamill but John Goodman gives quotes endorsing it oddly enough. Goodman has good taste in comics.

Watched the first two eps of Batman Beyond, very cool stuff too. It hit when I was in 7th grade, and didn't get around to it, had a bit lower expectations for some reason. But it's just hella badass, and it is kinda fun how insanely 99/2000 it is. Like that Todd McFarlane Korn (edit: it was U2) video and stuff like that. That Terry dude is intense. He makes James Dean look like Mr. Bean. Lotta cool toons to watch!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

For sure, that's part of why it probably took me so long to check it out. Batman being such an emotionally invested and tough to mess with classic thing.

Now I just tend to go with the flow, the story is real in this story, I don't need to worry if Bruce from Batman TAS really definitely ends up like this in my headcanon. It's almost like this Cowboy Bebop-esque cool anime show I'm checking out, with some added gravitas that the ol' beloved Batman happens to be in it.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Just watched Return of the Joker, holy moly. That is one incredible film. I haven't been glued to the screen like that in a while, just outrageously good. Reminds me a bit of how Transformers the Movie nailed that epicness and no-holds-barred take on a series, with just the utmost class. I'm blown away.

Wish they made movies like that today! Glad I've got these gems to get around to. Not to say there isn't still good stuff, and for animation along this tone there's an anime gem from time to time, but man what a time and place captured here. Even with the early digital paint, it's just some of the coolest looking animated directing I've seen.

Also, while Matt Reeves did I think a solid pretty good Batman movie, this is much more like it. How you can do a really grim tale, but still have that heart on your sleeve emotion to it, makes it all the better. Like my favorite Batman TAS episode I Am The Night, nothing is more touching than the epic pathos of Batman done like that. Anyways, here's hoping the makers like Brubaker of that new Batman animated series capture some of the heart and soul they found in these classics.

And I've still got most of Batman Beyond to watch, I skipped to the movie after just 8 eps. Loved that first Royal Flush Gang episode too.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

King Baby posted:

Back in 05 or 06 I remember going to an event at the Egyptian theater in Hollywood where Bruce Timm shared some of his favorite episodes from his shows on the big screen along with some unshown episodes of JLU at the time. When “Over the Edge” started the crowd erupted. He also played “My Girl” from Superman and what I think is the best episode of Batman Beyond “Splicers.” That has one of the most epic and disturbing boss fights. They probably blew the entire season’s budget on that. I forget which JLU he played, pretty sure it was the 7 soldiers of victory episode…though I do remember watching something with Devil Ray and being able to really see his trident bullets instead of flashes of light coming out of his gun. He did end the night with a clip of Tim Curry’s Joker….which just sounds like a more snarling version of Mark’s, not what I was expecting.

05, 06, was awesome in my life. My brother and I used to drive down to the he valley, sell our blood, then immediately use that money to do cool poo poo like go to weird movie events, see awesome comedy at UCB, and waste way too much time at Indy wrestling shows. I got to be the announcer for the Young Bucks’ wrestling show, they totally would never got anywhere if it wasn’t for me drat it….hahahaha….yeah no.

That rules!

Always cool to see people digging this stuff in here. For comparing the movies, I do like Under the Red Hood, but it's not one of my top favs. For that era of comic adaptations I like the Miller ones a bit better, and I guess something about that run of films feels a little less spontaneous or unique in vibe to me compared to this DCAU stuff. But some cool flicks for sure. I enjoyed those Loeb based Batman/Superman movies and Superman vs The Elite based on that Kelly comic too.

Mask of the Phantasm rules, absolutely, one of the best movies for me too.

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Jun 21, 2022

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

My friends were ranking Batman movies recently too, ranking is tough! I'll say the Batman '66 movie is a masterpiece, right up there with stuff like Airplane for comedy classics. Ahead of its time too.

I see it has a 6.5 on imdb, and I just gotta say, what a robbery. It's better than most eps of the show which has a 7.5, and it has more votes, so I figure more people saw it that didn't get it.

Most eps of Batman TAS are the best movies ever.

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Jun 22, 2022

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Batman is an interesting son of a gun I think, but Judge Dredd is also one of my fav comics. When a character is really really stoic, even a little gesture or bit of emotion comes across as even more significant, when done well.

I started that Harley Quinn show by the way. Rules! They have their cake and eat it too I'd say, delightful humor and parody while still having genuine earnest love for the thing as well.

Also it's funny, New Batman Adventures at times didn't seem so far off in tone. That Jokers Millions episode with the fake Harley and stuff was very funny and nutty.

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Jun 23, 2022

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

I do love that Bane, but I gotta keep it real, I love Hardy Bane too. And that's one of my fav movies. :shobon:

I'm doing a thing where I'm watching a couple eps of a few series at once, and it's pretty fun. Have about 12 eps left of Batman New Adventures, also doing Batman Beyond, Harley Quinn, and Superman. Like a toon TV station over here.

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Jun 23, 2022

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

That's so sad to hear, what a great guy. Delighting as Batman since 92, fan for 30 years and counting.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

My armchair guess, it's like a chicken running around with its head cut off. Or just bad decision making. Plus it seems in tone/vibe they're trying for this odd middle area that won't appeal much to many. They watch like a kid's movie, and not a brilliant Pixar one, but also like it's trying too hard to be cool. I'd also guess they're rushed with not great budgets. Also the direction is bad, and the writing is bad. But at least they're trying.

I did enjoy a bunch of them from 10 to 17 years ago or so.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ompoD7V42DM

This looks good! Michael Cera, whole cast is back. I like that it sounds like they're covering 6 manga sized volumes in 8 episodes. Fast paced and dense adaptations, I like the sound of that.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

How do you folks feel about the open matte vs widescreen vs 4k extra widescreen version of Mask of the Phantasm?

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Codependent Poster posted:

I didn't even know there were different versions.

I bought the 4k but haven't watched it yet. I'll have to do that this weekend

Right on, I just saw it at the store, plus I've been meaning to rewatch it for ages. Have the DVD and blu-ray, with the TAS set.

Here's a bit on it from a review:

"It's also worth noting the film is presented here in the 1.85 aspect ratio, making the 4K Ultra HD release the first time Batman: Mask of the Phantasm has been presented in its intended theatrical exhibition format on home video. This release doesn't include the 1.33:1 open matte presentation or the 1.78:1 versions from the movie's previous Blu-ray release. "

That said, I've also read it was originally made thinking it wasn't going to be theatrical, but either way the fullscreen aspect ratio isn't pan&scanned, it's open matte so you're seeing more stuff. So there's no bad version. But somebody said they think the wide versions show more in some shots as well, so it's an interesting mixed bag.

For Transformers: The Movie I gotta go classic 4:3, they cut too much good stuff out otherwise.

For Phantasm I can probably go either way, but it is interesting it'll be slightly more cropped than even the widescreen version on Blu-ray. In general I'd probably prefer they didn't do this bit of extra cropping in the 4k framing in comparison is my first thought, but I'm sure it's fine. I did see it in the theater as a kid, I assume I didn't mind the ratio. :yoshi:

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 11:57 on Nov 17, 2023

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

God bless Scott Pilgs

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Watched the first two eps, fun stuff! So far so good. Cool to hang out with these characters in this vibe.

I also haven't read the comic yet, on the to-read pile, so it'll be fun reading that sometime. And dig the movie of course.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

For sure, X-Men '97 and Batman Caped Crusader, maybe 1992 will finally have some competition!

(That's my special nostalgia time folks, I was 6 and I was ready for some cool action with lasers and capes or whatever)

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Catwoman had that costume in the mid-1980s, in that stuff drawn by Alan Davis for example! I have that action figure too call me old fashioned.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

I can dig it, a little reminiscent of that Spot guy being in Spider-Man stuff lately. Gotta throw a recent (-ish) goofball in.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

MonsterEnvy posted:

Onomatopoeia gimmick is that he only speaks in Onomatopoeias generally before one of the sounds would actually happen. He's a serial killer who targets street level heroes and vigilantes with no powers.

I heard Kev Smith and Ralph Garman read/act out that comic on a podcast once. Could work.

I'm definitely rooting for this show.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

X-Men '97 is so good, it rules that it rules. I am pleased!

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Magneto: whatta guy!

X-Men '97 is so awesome. If they keep this up, even close, we're looking at a renaissance here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

I think it's pretty awesome, it's both metal and anime, and sure maybe some Jim Henson too! Why not.

Man that third episode, just watched it, incredible stuff! I am pleased with this show.