Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
https://variety.com/2020/tv/news/usagi-jojimbo-animated-series-james-wan-netflix-1234707176/

I like how every single headline for this announcement is misleading because when you read the article you realize this isn't an adaptation of the comics it's actually Stan Sakai finally getting to make his far future usagi yojimbo cartoon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Hey why does the animation in the wacky comedy TMNT series rule so hard?

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Fuego Fish posted:

Locke & Key.

This cannot be a serious post

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Lurdiak posted:

Hell yeah, there's definitely some great ones in there. And Blight was a pretty cool villain, even if he was just Norman Osborn.

The secret of Batman Beyond is that it's basically a Spider-Man cartoon

Hell Shriek is basically what if Shocker looked like an Apple device

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Honestly Joker getting labeled as "criminally insane" works for me the same way it often worked in real life, as a reflection of a society not wanting to deal with the implications of a rational human being capable of such random and indiscriminate yet personal evil.

Howard Unruh was America's first mass shooter, a guy who just walked around his neighborhood shooting anyone he came across with no real rhyme or reason until he ran out of bullets, walked back home, and waited for the cops to show up. He was very obviously legally culpable for his crimes, committing them because he wanted to instead of saying he was delusional or whatever, but ended up spending the rest of his life in a mental institution simply because the judge and jury could not imagine a world where someone perfectly sane would do that. Surely something was wrong with him.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Lurdiak posted:

Human rights only apply to humans. :colbert:

I miss Marvel Heroes

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

I just watched Batman: Assault on Arkham, and it’s bad in a drab, boring way. Is that what comics are like now? It’s at this weird kids’ level of sophistication but with gore and curse words, and bad jokes, like a kid would think is cool but that marks it as unsuitable for kids. It’s confusing to just have established comic characters showing up because it leaves the setting and the histories of the characters unclear. Is this the same setting as those other animated dc movies that were out around that time? Does the Flash exist here? Has Batman met Amanda Waller before?

I was disappointed to hear Kevin Conroy and CCH Pounder in this because the material is so far below them—I don’t know why the people making this would want to remind anyone of a good Batman cartoon that way.

Also Batman is the antagonist and there’s only one scene from his point of view, so he shouldn’t get the title. Was this originally supposed to be some Suicide Squad marketing synergy that rethought after that one bombed?

So a few things

1. I don't think an animated movie from 2014 is a good representation of "what comics are like now" which is in and of itself a pretty broad question. Yes there are comics like that but, I mean, it's definitely not a blanket statement on all of them

2. It predates David Ayers' Suicide Squad by two years. It was actually, for some reason, meant as a tie-in for the game Arkham Knight. So it's set in the Arkham game universe but also doesn't do a super great job of portraying that if you didn't know going in.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
yeah batman ninja being badly animated is a take I can't truck with

https://www.sakugabooru.com/post/show/57088
https://www.sakugabooru.com/post/show/57085
https://www.sakugabooru.com/post/show/57084

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
It's wild how poorly the 90's Spider-Man animated series aged compared to X-Men, which also kind of didn't age great but the highs are still pretty high and is at least funny when it's bad.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
It's because Lobo was in Max Landis' Superman: American Alien and Man of Tomorrow is a loose adaptation of that book but uncredited since Landis has rightfully been unpersoned for being a sex pest

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

SlothfulCobra posted:

I can't fuckin' believe that they killed Ben in Spiderverse 2 after killing Kaine in Spiderverse 1 when he was also the Scarlet Spider. These writers are loving hacks.

I want to point out that both Ben and Kaine are alive. Hell Ben came back before Spidergeddon even ended.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Skwirl posted:

He's still alive, right? they didn't kill him one of the Spiderverse thingies did they?

Donny Cates is gonna kill him in King in Black probably

King in Black is almost over and Kaine hasn't been in it so that'd be an accomplishment

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
e: nevermind

Blockhouse fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Feb 22, 2021

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
honestly while BTAS has the higher highs I think Brave and the Bold might actually be the most consistently good Batman series. There's a fair amount of TAS episodes that are just...not great, usually when they come up with their own villain because holy moley for how well they reinvented most of Batman's rogues gallery do the actual new villains in that show just suck out loud outside of Baby Doll.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Oh yeah I thought Harley went without saying.

But then you've got stuff like the ninja (who the show kept saying was a samurai?), the Dickensian pickpocket training sewer children, the dude who was just invisible, the guy who turned Catwoman into a furry, and the roughly five thousand near identical generic mobster guys

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
did you guys know that there's a Scooby Doo direct to video animated movie that ends with the implication that the main antagonist was murdered offscreen by real actual Batman villain Scarecrow?

because I saw it the other day and I can't stop thinking about it

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Argue posted:

What I loved most about that Halloween Scooby Doo film was that Scarecrow was in it--the actual Scarecrow, from Gotham City--but not Batman or anyone else Batman-related. I mean, it makes sense, why can't a Batman villain exist independently of Batman? I also liked his role in the middle as sort of a Hannibal type, talking to Velma about fear from inside his prison.

I don't remember the spoiler mentioned though, when was it implied that he killed the real villain?

The last time we see the villain, he's driving away when Scarecrow's shadow suddenly falls over his car. Later, we see the cops find the car abandoned by the side of the road. Considering the guy directly hosed with and insulted Scarecrow it's not hard to put together the implication.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

catlord posted:

Finally watched The Batman vs Dracula. That one went surprisingly hard for TV-PG, that blood bank scene was fun.

Also watched a couple episodes of season one Super Friends and it's... interesting, finally seeing it after having Wendy be a supporting character in the Stephanie Brown Batgirl run. Also I assumed that only having four heroes was a cost cutting measure as far as animation, so I was completely caught off guard when Plastic Man showed up for a single scene.

the batman vs dracula owns and I felt like a crazy person for years because everyone was too dismissive of the batman to give it a shot

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
yeah the pacing, editing, and animation of Spider-Man TAS kills any good qualities the show might have

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Spider-Man TAS absolutely does not have good animation.

if you mean "better than Spider-Man And His Amazing Friends animation" then I'd agree

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Yeah I really like WATXM forcing Wolverine and Cyclops into each other's roles.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
there's that Amazing X-Men arc where a worker accidentally got hurt and blood ended up in some hamburger and everyone who ate it turned into a wendigo

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

TwoPair posted:

This isn't really animation news, per se, but apparently BTAS is gonna come back! In pog form! podcast form! No word on who's gonna be in it besides Conroy and Glover but I'm sure Hamill's down to show up whenever Joker inevitably hijacks the story like the Joker does in all modern Batman media.

Please Stop Having Kevin Conroy Play Batman 2021

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
soul of the dragon towers over most of the recent DC animated films

especially Injustice let me tell ya the real injustice was what that movie does to the source material hey-ooooh

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
The Injustice movie tries to do the entire comic series and first game in 90 minutes, omitting everything people like about either of those stories in favor of the most bare bones possible approach.

Things are altered from the source material that make no sense - The Flash is a key character in the comics and the game and unceremoniously dies ten minutes into the movie, but none of the scenes he would be in are altered so his lines are given to other characters and no one ever mentions him again, Superman's fascism never goes further than him just randomly killing a bunch of Joker fan teens, there's no army or takeover of the UN to the point where regular-rear end cops are still running around in the climax of the move.

The Harley and Green Arrow stuff remains but Harley's arc is entirely removed in favor of just dispensing really bad jokes the whole movie and Black Canary is removed entirely. Nothing anything liked about this storyline remains but it's here because hey the fans wanted it right??

Almost every character is miscast, especially Superman and Batman which is...bad when those two are the entire fulcrum of your movie.

The animation and action scenes are flat and cheap. It's easily the worst looking animated movie DC has put out.

Literally the only thing the movie nails is Plastic Man.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I have heard that it is very ,very bad

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Dawgstar posted:

It does feel like Weisman had somebody who helped him on shows like Gargoyles that's gone now. His Gary Kurtz if you will.

I don't know if there's anyone who fits that role? Or who worked on Gargoyles that also worked on other shows Weisman did that are considered good like Spectacular Spider-Man.

I think this was always a part of him - if you look at the plans he had for SSM it was this elaborate like five year plan with already detailed story arcs and character relationships and it just sounded like the show would become a slog of drama.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
X-Men TAS honestly holds up a hundred times better than Spider-Man TAS, a show that both looked worse and had the most bizarre, frenetic editing I have ever seen

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

site posted:

they've been doing a crossover comic for like two years

which is actually completely unrelated to the movie for some reason? Like the comic imagines the Justice League as natives to the setting while in the movie it's a standard crossover.

Feels like it'd just be easier to do an daptation.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
The show is full of characters that are massive departures from their comic counterparts. I don't know that I'd expect Lex Luthor to tick all the standard boxes.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Given the credited voice actor the mask is probably a cover for this version of Zod being a woman

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Opening credits for Scott Pilgrim Takes Off

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QKvNcDaoYpA

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Tim's the smart one. That's always been his thing forever.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Larryb posted:

New trailer for the Suicide Squad anime:

https://youtube.com/watch?v=TtwBgQ82Pls

While this looks like it’ll probably suck (even the title is boring) it also seems just weird enough to be worth a shot regardless

What part of this looks like it'll suck? The animation's great, the designs are all good, and the energy's exactly where it needs to be.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Of the previous Japanese DC productions:

- Batman: Gotham Knight (2008, animated anthology film set in the Nolanverse)
- Batman: Ninja (2018, CG movie)
- Catwoman: Hunted (2022, animated movie kind of sort of set in the Young Justice universe?)

all got English releases and dubs. The only thing that never did was a crossover movie with a very niche anime series that I can't remember the name of from a few years back.

This show is going to get a US release for sure. Now, given that Batman Ninja infamously had a dub script made up from whole cloth because the writers never got a copy of the Japanese script in time for recording, the quality of that English release might vary.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Red Shirt Shaggy was also the Thirteen Ghosts version

it was a dark time

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Tron is an isekai

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Yeah uhh maybe they should have recast Wolverine

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
so with all the designs I have to assume the show is a period piece

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
it's hilarious how good x-men '97 looks at times compared to how the source material looked all the time