Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Just would like to note that the 2009 Wonder Woman animated movie is really good and underappreciated imo. There's like a million Batman-centric animated movies, but only one solely about Wonder Woman. The eff WB Animation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

DrProsek posted:

Azzarello wanted it because its controversial and you're a pussy for not getting how edgy this is. (He literally said both these things, this is not me putting words in his mouth)

Not that I'm defending Azzarello, because I think what happened to the Killing Joke film is hot garbage, but he didn't outright just call someone a pussy for not getting how edgy the movie is. Just to be clear, someone in the crowd yelled an insult towards Azzarello and he asked them to say it again because he couldn't really hear it, but knew it was an insult. Whoever yelled didn't say what they said again and that's when Brian called whoever threw out the insult a pussy. Still an idiot though, but yeah, context.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

DrProsek posted:

E: Wait no, tried removing the 's', worked fine. Yeah, https doesn't like loading http content.

Ah, right, I remembered it happened at a TKJ panel where people were complaining about the movie, but I forgot specifically what the audience member said before he called them a pussy.

Fair enough to Azzarello. Calling someone a pussy isn't really related to his reason for doing the Batman/Batgirl subplot in TKJ.

After the panel gave a response to a fan's question, saying that they felt Babs was still a strong female character in the film, I think the audience member sarcastically/mockingly blurted out, "yeah, by using sex and pining for Bruce" or something to that effect.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

ToastyPotato posted:

Which is not really an insult at all, and a valid point. A pretty silly thing to get mad about. If he heard any of it at all, it shouldn't have angered him to the point of an outburst.

Timeless Appeal posted:

Like look, I'm sure the dude in the audience was being a snarky nerd. But

1) It's a stupid change, and his answer was complete bullshit. Like Timm gave a better answer, and to be fair, I do agree with him. I think the notion that Batman and Batgirl have a father/daughter relationship is straight up false. And I think it's fair to say that the crush was there on Batman 66. Honestly, I don't necessarily have an issue with the relationship in general.

What we've seen is infinitely more stupid and poorly written than what was shown in Batman Beyond

2) But also grown rear end men shouldn't be shouting and calling people pussies like loving idiots. Even if the nerd was being a huge rear end in a top hat, Azz was being a child.

From what I've read online, the person who heckled the panel was actually a reporter from Bleeding Cool. He did a writeup about the panel and admitted that his emotions got the best of him when he decided to attack the panel with sarcasm despite them doing their best to give a good answer. Like I said, I wholly disapprove of the changes too, but it seemed like there was already a lot of tension in the room when the question was originally asked and answered, and both Azzarello and the Bleeding Cool guy were tilted. Basically both of them are jackasses.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Codependent Poster posted:

Hm yes, please keep doing mental gymnastics to defend a professional at a comic convention calling someone a pussy.

I called him a jackass. I'm not defending the dude, I'm just observing what happened because I find the exchange at the panel AND how they botched the animated film really fascinating for some reason.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Codependent Poster posted:

Holy poo poo. So he's comparing Barbara to his daughter now?

"Batman hosed a girl who was like his daughter! But that's okay because he doesn't know how to be a parent!"

Haha, yeah, they need to just stop now. I hope everyone involved in the film realized what Timm said there, and it'll trigger them to just drop the whole issue because they're making it way worse.

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Supposed leak of JLD that was doing the rounds yesterday.

I'm excited for this. I wish GDT was still making the live-action JLD movie.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Skwirl posted:

The Batman / Wonder Woman thing was probably always supposed to be a "yes they're attracted to each other, and but nothing ever happens" thing.

I hope this is how they handle the relationship between Bruce and Diana in the DCEU movies.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Lurdiak posted:

You just described every DC animated film as far back as I can remember.

The Wonder Woman/Big Barda vs. The Furies fight scene in Superman/Batman: Apocalypse was pretty well done imo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lPlSdns_n1E&hd=1

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

loving finally. There might be a new animated Wonder Woman movie, show, or whatever else in the works. http://www.cbr.com/nycc-a-new-animated-wonder-woman-is-on-wbs-radar/

I hope it's a movie, because Batman and Superman have already had more than enough of those.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Shoulda made this live-action instead of Suicide Squad.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Reinanigans posted:

Someone told me the word is that "Justice League: Dark" is good, and maybe the best DC animated movie. Has anyone here seen it that can confirm/deny?

Definitely not the best DC animated movie, but it was good. Better than Justice League War/Throne of Atlantis for sure.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Chaos Hippy posted:

How much better? War and ToA were awful.

Significantly.

X-O posted:

Under The Red Hood is the last decent DC movie.

Gods and Monsters was fun. Superman/Batman: Apocalypse, JL: Doom, JL: The Flashpoint Paradox, and Assault on Arkham are all really good post-Under the Red Hood DC animated films. I'd easily recommend those. Everything else post-Under the Red Hood ranged from ehh to terrible. Wonder Woman is still my favorite/top DC animated movie though. She needs another animated feature. Batman has way too many.

teagone fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Jan 30, 2017

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Yeah, well... you're trash. Mask of the Phantasm and Return of the Joker are above all DC animated universe movies. Don't think anyone would argue otherwise.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

DC is re-releasing the Wonder Woman animated film as a "Commemorative Edition" ahead of her big screen debut in June.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o2TNA78VZgQ

Doesn't say if they like remastered it or anything. Just a re-release. Either way, cool. More people should see it, and if you haven't, it's arguably one of DC's best animated features. Hoping they do more Wonder Woman animated films. Batman has had more than enough.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

X-O posted:

I mean I'd hope for more animated Wonder Woman movies too if their recent output has been so godawful. It's been a long time since they've made a good animated movie. I think maybe they should just take a break for a while.

Or they could hire Lauren Montgomery to direct more WW animated films. Every DC animated feature she's directed are all my favorites.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Watched Teen Titans: The Judas Contract last night. Was ok. Nothing remarkable. Had a handful of sex jokes, and yes, they included the awkward romantic subplot between old-man Deathstroke and teen titan Terra.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Dexie posted:

Now that Wonder Woman has gotten her own movie and it's turned out to be a huge success, do you think DC might actually give her more animated stuff of her own now?

I loving hope so. I must have watched the 2009 animated movie 100 times by now. As awesome as that movie is, she needs more animated features. Batman and Superman have had their fair share.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Lauren Montgomery (director of the 2009 Wonder Woman animated film) drew the DCEU WW:
https://twitter.com/ArtOfLaurenM/status/875239052777107456

I really hope WB gets her to direct another Wonder Woman animated feature.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Lurdiak posted:

It'll be just as good as the Killing Joke movie!

She's directed some of the better DC animated features in the last 10 years or so. If anything, maybe bringing her back onboard would be the start of something positive :)

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Fixed tweet!
https://twitter.com/warnerarchive/status/876946732222783488

[edit] Oh cool, media details from the Facebook post:

BATMAN: MASK OF THE PHANTASM(1993) (BD)
NEW 2017 1080p HD REMASTER
Presented in both the original theatrical 16x9 aspect ratio (1.78:1) AND open matte 4x3 (1.37:1) aspect ratio
Run Time 76:00
Subtitles English SDH
DTS HD-Master Audio 2.0 Stereo - English

teagone fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Jun 20, 2017

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Samuringa posted:

edit: I watched Flashpoint Paradox and War on the same day and felt like War was a palate cleanser, that's how dire Flashpoint is

I feel the complete opposite.

Calaveron posted:

I'm actually kinda enjoying it, at least for grumpier Batman
But man it sure has a whole lot of blood

A lot of the recent DC animated features aren't really for kids. Shows like Young Justice or Justice League Action are though.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Lmao, this looks so absurd. Can't wait.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

The Question IRL posted:

You call this Batman: Ninja. Despite the fact that Batman is clearly dressed as a Samurai?

Wikipedia says ninjas wore samurai armor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Justice League vs the Fatal Five is ehh, it was alright. It was my introduction to Jessica Cruz though, and I was kinda digging her character. Is she the primary lantern right now in the comics? Would be cool to see a live-action movie based around her.