Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

These are gonna be terrible

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Das Boo posted:

BG artist, yar. And welcome!

That's cool! It's a great show and I really enjoy it.

I like how they didn't drag out Lois figuring out Clark's secret, and I thought that they both had good sides to the argument as to why he should have told her and why he didn't.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Larryb posted:

Disney must be banking hard on the X-Men ‘97 series as despite not even having a concrete release date it’s already been greenlit for a second season:

https://bleedingcool.com/tv/x-men-97-season-2-i-think-youre-gonna-love-it-lenore-zann-rogue/

I have zero doubts that X-Men '97 is gonna be a hit. Continuation of a beloved series, lots of popular characters, people who grew up with it will introduce it to their kids, and there hasn't been any X-Men television stuff in a while.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Nanigans posted:

Can't say I'm actually excited anymore. Last season was real bad.

Yeah I stopped watching it halfway through. Kinda feels like it's worn out its welcome.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Heavy Metal posted:

How do you folks feel about the open matte vs widescreen vs 4k extra widescreen version of Mask of the Phantasm?

I didn't even know there were different versions.

I bought the 4k but haven't watched it yet. I'll have to do that this weekend

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Yvonmukluk posted:

The Scott Pilgrim anime is incredible. Everyone should go watch it right now.

Seconding this. I didn't know anything about it other than it had the original cast from the movie and I figured it would just be closer to the comics since it was a different format. So I'm very happy I went in blind.

It's a great show.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Dawgstar posted:

I tried Gotham Knights for a bit before returning it but Tim was a bright spot. Heck, I know they aren't going to do six player characters but if they'd had Steph and Cass I might have just soldiered on anyway.

Yeah I doubt it ever gets a follow up, but a sequel with Cass, Steph, Kate and Damian as playable options would be fun.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

I forgot the new episodes were every day. I caught the first one and really liked it. They did a great job of making it a noir and Karen Gillan's Nebula is always such a treat.

The first season had its ups and downs but overall was pretty good. I think a lot of it depends on how much the actors put into it, and some just aren't great voice actors. Hemsworth, Gillan, and Cumberbatch are all great though so any episodes where they're featured are pretty solid.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

So instead of his last performance being in a lovely video game it will be a lovely movie.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

SlothfulCobra posted:

Just like the great Orson Welles.

I said lovely movie, not awesome one.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Yeah I agree with most of that in regards to the Transformers movie. But I'll say that it's held up extremely well and the soundtrack is fantastic. Sure the plot could have been better, but despite it being a movie made to sell toys, it has a ton of love and heart put into it.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Cyclops' voice actor passed away. The new one sounds pretty close though

That looks a lot like the old series. And Jean is pregnant, so the question is if we're getting baby Nathan or Rachel

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

The only thing missing from the teaser is "Previously on X-Men."

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

ThermoPhysical posted:

This was like the coolest thing she did in TAS.

whoa buddy if you're gonna talk poo poo about Storm then I SHALL MEET YOU AT THE MONORAIL

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Cartridgeblowers posted:

I thought those two episodes of X-Men loving slapped

The first episode was a little uneven but that second episode was loving great.

I can't believe they're doing Jean and Maddie and also introducing the Magneto and Rogue relationship.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

TwoPair posted:

Isn't there some story about how there was originally supposed to end up being some crazy secret about his eyes but then that idea got totally thrown out the window by another writer?

Or am I mixing that up with another character?

He once was also suggested to be the third Summers brother because of his eyes.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

MonsterEnvy posted:

Well he's also not normally a primary X-Men member. He's more of the type who does his own thing. The animated series is the only adaption I can think of that had him as a primary member.

Gambit's been a mainstay on various X-Men teams ever since his debut. But the 92 series is very, very heavily influenced from the storylines around that time as well as the Jim Lee Blue team lineup and costumes. It's more surprising that Psylocke wasn't included on the team, but that's probably a combination of wanting to have Jean instead and their powers overlapping, and her costume not really being kid appropriate.

I think Gambit is difficult to toss into adaptions like comics and movies because of the lack of a real interesting backstory and you need to come up with new ways for him to join the team that aren't "hung around with de-aged kid Storm" or "just here to creep on Rogue".

Codependent Poster fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Mar 22, 2024

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

NikkolasKing posted:

I feel bad for Scott. Maybe I should re-watch X-Men TAS as an adult and not a dumb kid but it feels like between TAS and the movies, Cyke has been ruined in the eyes of a general audience. I mean, isn't that the entire punchline here?

He's been shorted in most adaptions. He's okay in the 92 series, but they set up the love triangle and he never got as much focus as Wolverine. So he has very few episodes that give him any sort of depth besides stoic leader and Wolverine's rival.

The movies he got even less focus and pretty much the same characterization as the cartoon.

Like people have said, 97 seems to start out purposefully giving more for him and Storm to do because they were really shorted in the original series.

I'm pretty biased, but in the comics he's got a ton of depth to him and he's the favorite X-Man of a lot of good writers.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

I never watched Evo - child me grew the hell up on X-Men TAS as a religion practically so it reeked of blasphemy to my idiot tween brain. Is the whole thing worth watching, or are there some episodes/seasons that are just trashfires and should be skipped?

The first season is up and down but it has some really good episodes. Hang with it because while the first season incorporates a lot of high school stuff, the series does move away from it but it's important that the characters experienced that.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

That was a good episode. Was kind of surprised they did the Nathan thing so soon, but it makes sense. I just really hope they don't go back to the love triangle with Wolverine/Jean/Scott. Just let it go already.

It was also pointed out that kid Jean was holding a cyclops plushie, and that was also from the Dark Phoenix arc of the old series.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

GateOfD posted:

is there a reason why Mr.Sinister is super weak to Cyclop's beams?

Originally in the comics they say he is specifically weak to them and that's what the show takes it from. Then later in the comics he comes along and is like 'lol just kidding"

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

I liked that they threw in Savage Land Rogue.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

drrockso20 posted:

From what I recall Captain America having that flashback team up with Logan was meant to be a backdoor pilot for a Captain America series set during WW2 that never got made, much like Ghost Rider showing up in the last episode of the Fantastic Four cartoon to chump Galactus was meant to tease for a Ghost Rider cartoon that also never happened(but got far enough in development that a toyline had been made and would get released anyways)

Eh, I dunno. I think it's more likely because there was an X-Men comic with that premise and it's in the sweet spot for what the show was adapting. Plus it had that iconic Jim Lee cover.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Yeah you aren't gonna find any classic Jubilee stories. But she was the kid on the team so other kids liked her, similar to Kitty Pryde like a decade earlier.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Air Skwirl posted:

Who was the third in 616? I know Colossus and Quill

Pete Wisdom

But yeah, the point is that Jubilee didn't have the success that Kitty did as the young POV character and they still haven't really found a role for her. So the cartoon can pretty much do whatever they want with her and it'll probably be what people think of when they think of Jubilee.

Better than thinking about that time in the comics where she was standing over Skin's grave saying she wished she hosed him.

Codependent Poster fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Apr 2, 2024

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

BizarroAzrael posted:

Talking of Jubilee stories:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IxjYt6nlapQ

Seem's like a bit of a marketing fail not to put this out a day early and pretend there's a new game based on the old arcade game like Shredder's Revenge. And then to actually put that game out ideally by the team that did Shredder's Revenge.

Looks like Mojoworld stuff?

That looks so good

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

drat before the season I never thought they would go there, but as this episode I kept thinking that they were, then when I saw the Watcher I knew some poo poo was about to go down.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

MonsterEnvy posted:

Nightcrawler will probably join the team. I don’t see Emma doing the same right now unless there is a reveal like that Shaw financed the Sentinels.

They did show Shaw as one of the casualties and having another female character wouldn't be a bad thing. I really do hope Emma joins up, but yeah, I think Kurt is going to join for sure.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

MonsterEnvy posted:

Shaw was injured, but I don’t think he died, as he was right next to Madelyn on the triage and I doubt she died.

That was Dazzler. Maddie looked like she got vaporized. It's also hard to say if everyone they showed on the beds were dead or not but they're casualties regardless. They very clearly showed Callisto dying at least.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

X-O posted:

I can't believe how perfect of a pull that Ace of Base song was for that episode. Perfect for the time period. Perfect lyrically for the event in the episode. Hell it even mentions time travel.

I'd never heard that song before and thought it was an original song for the show but was like "that kinda sounds like Ace of Base" and was pleasantly surprised when I saw it was them at the end credits. It's a great song that fits so much about the show and that moment perfectly.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Just to kind of put a list together:

Cameo/supporting characters who are 100% dead:

Callisto
Banshee
Marrow

Probably dead but maybe shenanigans:

All the Morlocks with Magneto
Maddie

Injured/Possibly dead:

Moira
Sammy
Shaw
Dazzler

They're okay!:

Boom Boom
Nightcrawler
Glob
Pixie

And I think that's it. If they weren't put here (Exodus, Emma, etc.) then we didn't see them during or after the attack so status unkown

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

I think the events at Genosha are too big to undo through time travel.

Maddie had visions of it happening though. Then it seemed she was attacked psychically. So it'll be interesting to see why she had the visions

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Bendis was a great writer. Around here people just make fun of him for the way he writes dialogue, but he's written some of the best comics ever. People are split on his X-Men, but that was written way after his peak.

I also wouldn't call it a Bendis Cyclops. Grant Morrison wrote a jaded Cyclops who was struggling to find his place (and eventually did at the end of the run) and then Whedon picked up and wrote him as a much more confident person than he had probably ever been before. Most writers followed that with an increasingly more hardline "do whatever it takes to survive" Cyclops until eventually he became a bad guy in Avengers vs. X-Men.

This episode is a lot more Grant Morrison Cyclops than anything else.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Gladiator rules, especially the way his power works. He's stronger the more confident he is, so if you get him doubting his goals or his skills he becomes beatable. I dunno why I like that so much but I do.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

It sounded like he was recording from inside a tin can.

But it's only taken a little bit to get used to the new voice actors and how the older ones sound, well, older. I'm sure I'll get used to this Xavier.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

I'd like more Summers Family Adventures.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Grem posted:

I like how it's implied that Silver Samurai just stands at his windows in his armor all night.

Maybe he was ready for a night out on the town. You don't know!

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

khwarezm posted:

Well, the thing that kind of irks me is the sidelining of the other New Gods and Genesis in favour of making it a Darkseid vs Supes grudge match, it feels like its boiling away a lot of the very, very important background context that Darkseid comes from in the first place.

Someone else said it, but that's because nobody cares about any characters from Genesis except Orion, Barda, and Mr. Miracle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Jubilee, Sunspot, and Cable are AWOL. So my guess? We're gonna get X-Force. Cable will put a team together of younger mutants.