Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

teagone posted:

After the panel gave a response to a fan's question, saying that they felt Babs was still a strong female character in the film, I think the audience member sarcastically/mockingly blurted out, "yeah, by using sex and pining for Bruce" or something to that effect.

Which is not really an insult at all, and a valid point. A pretty silly thing to get mad about. If he heard any of it at all, it shouldn't have angered him to the point of an outburst.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Jesus Christ.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Timeless Appeal posted:

See, Paul Dini was smart. He just went ahead and literally married Zatanna and got all of his fanboy weirdness out of his system.

Was he the one with the website that had the semi/mostly-nude cartoon women or was that Timm? Dini is the one with the DCAU drawing style right?

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

His artwork was fine, but taken into this new creepy context, I start to wonder if his drawings were less about "Art" and more about "pleasure".

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Ultimately, we can cringe and call out the creepiness all we want, but these guys know their audience. This is the industry that continues shoving very large breasted, half naked women in sexy poses whenever they get the chance, regardless if it makes any sense at all, and when called on it, consistently jump through hoops trying to justify it, all while any mature discussion is drowned out by whining manchildren who feel threatened that people are trying to take away their fap material.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Franchescanado posted:

And by cringing and calling out the creepiness and pointing fingers and making the creators jump through their hoops, we are doing our part to make future Batgirls less cockthirsty, and better stories for the fans, slowly but surely.

That is my optimism, please don't hurt it, it's fragile.

Hey man, I'm with you. It's just tiresome at this point. :negative: At least this is mostly on DC now these days though. So maybe we've accomplished SOMETHING?

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Franchescanado posted:

Here's an interesting idea:

The Joker's whole plan is to show Batman the damages and effects of "One Bad Day". But the worst thing that happens to Batman is being thrown a poo poo-ton of guilt for his actions and inability to prevent the dangers in his life for others. Considering Batman is a broken man-child who displays too many sociopathic tendencies to go unnoticed, he probably doesn't even feel the guilt. Recognizes it in a mental capacity, being aware that he should feel guilt, sure, but if he actually feels it...Who knows.

Gordon receives a rougher side of the trade: He has to see pictures of his daughter being destroyed, and then must relive that moment at the hands of the most vile criminal he faces regularly. He is caged like an animal. The comics imply that he has probably also received sexual damages by the Joker's goons. His defense of Batman is called into question, as does his hypocrisy, his life mission, and his idea of "Law". But in the end, it is implied that sticking to his morals will bring him through this dark period of his life, because it will not allow him to succumb to his fears of the world.

Barbara's life is ruined. She has now been through physical, mental, emotional, and sexual trauma. She is no longer able to walk. She can no longer fight crime, her main calling in life, or spend time with her creepy unhealthy crush.

So why is it that, given an opportunity to change and explore the ideas of "One Bad Day" through two well-known characters, that we ignore the real victims of the story, who actually are the receiving end of the Bad Day and all it's implications, and instead concentrate on the sociopathic spectator, Batman?

And with that opportunity, why the gently caress would you animate a first act of Barbara trying to and succeeding in loving Batman instead?

Because the comic industry is still filled with creepy dudes who fantasize about cartoon women in creepy sexualized situations.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

JT Smiley posted:

I had a co-worker tell me she loved the movie yesterday, even said the sex scene was hot. No joke, her exact words.

Did she like 50 Shades of Grey? Because lots of women did. Also Twilight, both of which were filled with some bad relationship ideals.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Suspension of disbelief is necessary to enjoy comics, but at the same time, it really should only be applied to matters of science (such as biology, physics, etc.) There's nothing wrong with questioning morality, ethics, and general decision making and having those things be obstacles for enjoyment.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

SonicRulez posted:

A Batgirl Year one movie would probably be pretty rad. I wish they had done that instead.

In a perfect world, sure, but with the team of people they have now, I'd rather they just leave that alone.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Skwirl posted:

I love that Batman blows that up and the sequels have all these panning cityscapes that really point out he never rebuilt it.

To be fair, they gave up in Rises, and just used a completely untouched NYC for the wide shots. Which is really jarring if you are familiar with NYC at all.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

I only knew TDK was Chicago because people mentioned it online. I figured most people have probably seen sweeping shots of NYC enough, from a million shows and movies, to recognize it. If they had at least tried to keep it to the East River, it might have worked out, but there are some clear shots of just flat out Manhattan, IIRC, and that is kind of nuts because Manhattan is like the one part of NYC that most people around the world are going to recognize. Such a weird thing for them to give no fucks about.

And even if someone had never seen NYC in their life, it looks so radically different than the previous two films that it is still really jarring. (The wide shots.)

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

What was the reason for saying "Gotham is literally just NYC now." As opposed to the other films?

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Lurdiak posted:

I thought only Begins really made Gotham look distinct. They really gave it this... anachronistic turn of the century look. Like it looked like what people in the early 1900s thought the big cities would shape up to be.

Yeah I really liked the look of Gotham in Begins. Those movies had enough of a budget that it was kind of disappointing to see them drop the idea of making Gotham a some what distinct city.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

McSpanky posted:

At least that has precedent, Metropolis in Superman: The Movie was very blatantly New York plus a model of the Daily Planet globe. I think he even flies by the Statue of Liberty and the Empire State Building in those bluescreened helicopter pans.

Yeah but from Batman 89 forward to Begins, they at least tried to create original city scapes. So it's weird to go back to "aww gently caress it, just use a real city for the wides" after all those years. Especially since, if anything, the technology probably makes it easier and maybe even cheaper to make a fake city (even more so in a Batman film like Nolan's where we only see the city for establishing shots, as opposed to a movie with people flying all over the place.)

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Kurzon posted:

But is this a bad thing?

In a vacuum where there are no sexist attitudes toward women in the industry or in society in general, no. But in the context of the real world, yes it is bad because it is dumb that it keeps happening and is accepted as the norm. It is a pretty unhealthy way to treat 50% of the population of the planet.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

A Gnarlacious Bro posted:

The batman status quo is mega stupid

It is the same template for 99% of superhero books so singling it out is kind of silly.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

ImpAtom posted:

I think the major difference is that 99% of superhero books don't play the "why doesn't (x) kill (y)" game which is, while certainly not exclusive to Batman, a lot more heavily emphasized in Batman. So it makes the status quo feel dumber because they keep lampshading it.

The closest I can think of is Daredevil and obviously Daredevil is way more over-the-place.

Fair enough. I guess that is what happens when a series is a lightning rod for grim dark stories and villains who are so dark that we have to keep upping the ante on how dark they can be, all the while the main hero, who is also grim and dark, has a core philosophy to never kill.

It took a minute to realize how murderous Batman's rogues gallery is.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Lurdiak posted:

I guess it's just "poo poo on Lurdiak to make ourselves feel better" time, again. I'm used to it.

It's almost as if people reacted to a lovely post you made. Imagine a world where you didn't make lovely posts and no one shat on you for it. I'm not even trying to dog pile here dude. You literally flipped out and started swearing and name calling because you got mad that someone called you out on a kind of lovely post. Maybe instead of getting used to it, you should look inward and realize that maybe the problem is something you are doing wrong, if it is happening that often. Or don't' and get poo poo on. Either way don't whine about. No one forces you to post.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Lurdiak posted:

Yeah I guess I coulda been less snippy too. Waking up after a lovely night's sleep to being called "the worst poster on the forum" is a bad way to start the day.

I'm not even dogpiling *proceeds to dogpile*

Dogpiling probably would have been just making fun of you. Which I didn't really do. Just pointing out that you over reacted and then wanted to act like some innocent victim.

Kurzon posted:

Well, I'm glad you don't read newspapers because lovely things like what happens to Barbara happens all the time. People hate on Alan Moore the same way people hate on God for letting bad things happen to people who don't deserve it.

I wonder how viewers treated RR Martin after they watched Sansa Stark getting raped by Ramsey Bolton. It's gruesome but that's how women, even noblewomen, were treated in the Middle Ages. At least Martin gave Sansa an opportunity to take revenge personally.

People were pretty mad about the Sansa thing because it didn't happen in the books apparently. I'm not sure what "it happens in the real world: has to do with anything we are discussing. Neither Game of Thrones nor Batman are the real world, so writers choosing to use women as nothing but emotional props for male characters is problematic and no one's fault but their own.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

SonicRulez posted:

I don't get why they thought that video game would be the best way to tell that story. Looking at it, Nightwing is in the game, so it can't even be in the middle very much.

The entire show was basically murdered by marketing and execs worried about merchandising.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Android Blues posted:

Seven seasons? Yowza.

Speaking seriously, I don't know if the issues with Season 2 were caused by executive fiddling, but Season 2 had issues in a big way that would have made me kind of leery of the show continuing anyway. Like, there were some great moments in S2 - the stuff with Blue Beetle, Artemis, Black Manta, Sportsmaster - but a lot of it was very, shockingly weak compared to the tightly-written strength of S1 (I'm looking at you, Arsenal and Lagoon Boy and the god drat Kroliteans). Hard to say if S3 would have been worse or better.

Anyone who hasn't should check out Young Justice season one, though. It's legitimately fantastic and probably doesn't get enough love.

Well looking at the given that YJ had issues with selling toys, it seems to me that the point of a time skip with a new cast and a tie in video game meant to bridge the gap is to sell other things, and is not the kind of thing that TV writers would come up with. If these guys were passionate enough to plan out years of stories, I don't see them going, "and then we just get rid of the old cast and make people buy a video game that we farm out to some lovely company if they want this part of the our story, then we can have all these new characters who we won't have time to develop."

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

I hope it looks like the cheap faux-anime all their current animated movies do!

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

So the hot new rumor is that Netflix has indeed approached the Young Justice producers about a possible 3rd season, due to the good performance of the show after it was added tot he service. If you remember, some of the people were asking that fans show support by watching the show on Netflix. None of this is confirmed as far as I know, but it is an interesting rumor for the time being.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Weisman just shot down the Netflix rumor on Twitter so oh well.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

DC didn't adopt the current style until Justice League: WAR

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

They should give Young Justice a third season so this art style can just stay contained in that show.

What's sad was that YJ probably had higher quality animation than most of the DC movies since WAR.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Android Blues posted:

In general, I've felt that recent DC movies' attempts to be adult have been more embarrassing than anything else. They usually amount to someone calling someone a bitch two or three times a movie and maybe some blood. It's like, would Batman Beyond have been improved if Terry occasionally called Inque a bitch? That's the approach being taken here.

Well Paul Dini wrote Arkham City didn't he? That game calls Catwoman a bitch while you play her almost literally every couple of minutes. So in general, yes, DC's idea of making mature content is generally to throw in the word bitch, some blood, and some tits and rear end.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

hup posted:

Was Dini still there for City? Thought he just did Asylum.

I looked it up and there's an interview with him about writing City. Pretty much no one from the first two worked on Origins though. Funnily enough, I thought Origins had better writing than the first two. Probably even better than Knight.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

It's probably data driven with regards to kid's attention spans. It also let's them spread a normal half hour's worth of content over 2 days instead of 1. Some shows will do double new episodes, but usually it is one new and one repeat if they double up at all. And if you do this once a week you can either have a normal season of material last longer than normal, or you can cut the content down but keep the season length generally the same.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

I guess Ultimate Spider-Man is done, so they are rebooting it again with a new series based on the adventures of a young Peter Parker called Marvel's Spider-Man.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

SMASH ended too right? The only hold overs to the old animated universe at this point would be GotG and Avengers, which I can see ending before Infinity War hits theaters. GotG is the only real problem, unless I am mistaken and it isn't part of the grouped shows.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

They just announced season 4 and 2 of those (AA: Secret Wars) and apparently the Captain Marvel of AA (her hair is so HIDEOUS) shows up in season 2 of GotG, so that's connected.

Maybe Secret Wars will be used as a way to transition into a new animated universe. But I am likely giving them way too much credit.

How dope would it be if they did a cross over with older cartoons though? They probably don't have the rights for that. :(

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

AA manages to be the blandest, nothing-est cartoon on their stable, to the point where Ms. Marvel showed up on screen heavily for a whole episode and it was still a yawn-fest, I don't doubt for a second that whatever happens won't be as interesting as it could be on paper.

They definitely don't got the rights, they would've done something with the Eight episodes dedicated to Spider-verse in USM if they wanted to. :( (at least Spider-Punk got a speaking role for that)

They're releasing the clips from the panel on their youtube, so i'm hammering F5 to see the new spidey cartoon, here's where monsters lie tho
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x1pLFw2vi5E
..wow that hulk stuff was not as interesting looking as i hoped. How do they not have better-looking animation when they're under Disney??

Disney simply does not deem it financially viable to spend money on TV or DTV animation for Marvel properties, so it gets bottom of the barrel production value. They have little reason to suspect that they'd get enough of a return on investment for those sort of things to warrant spending big. They figure kids will watch it, or they won't, how well it is animated won't increase merch sales. It's depressing.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

SonicRulez posted:

Does every Spider-Man adaptation have to start with geeky 16 year old Peter trying to work up the courage to talk to Gwen Stacy or whatever?

Well to be fair, that is where the character's origin is, but also it's good for selling toys when your hero is also a kid.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Skwirl posted:

In the comics Peter Parker was in college and living on his own (in an apartment with Harry Osborn that was subsidized by Norman Osborn) when he met Gwen Stacy.

I meant his origins were in high school. So that is what makes it appealing, especially for cartoons.

I wish we could at least start at college/Daily Bugle Parker just because all of his famous stories are from that time or later, but I get why they keep resetting, there aren't very many young heroes who have huge potential brand recognition.

SonicRulez posted:

I guess the meat of my question is "Do we always have to start at the beginning?" Considering BTAS is still the pillar of animated superhero series, I'm continually confused by the answer "Yes."

More likely to appeal to kids if the main character is younger. That's really all it is. They already have a bunch of adult heroes, so having a kid one covers their bases and gets kids more interested.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

FilthyImp posted:

Kind of interesting the 90s spideyseries had him as a college kid at ESU

True, but the last two, and the upcoming one have Peter as a kid. The upcoming film has him at his youngest so far for live action. And most of the most popular kids cartoons and shows today feature kids as the main character.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Monaghan posted:

Maybe they'll pull some stuff from slott's spider verse in the new series.

Having japanese spider man and leopardon show up would be cool.

I'd imagine the new series is an attempt to refocus on classic stories and a more simplified continuity than the current series, which from the get go was basically a team up show with built in cross overs with Avengers Assemble. It also gives them a chance to re-align the show with the upcoming new film.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Reinanigans posted:

I hope it has nothing to do with the new movie, because being beholden to the movie continuity will make the show much more constrained on what they can and can't use in terms of rogues and other characters that may not have been introduced in the movies.

None of the cartoons have ever been beholden to the MCU continuity. But they do draw some aesthetics from them. I'd imagine the new character designs will be close to the new status quo set by the reboot film.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

I'm happy. Hopefully it is decent. They have had a lot of time to take in the criticisms and pull out a solid third season. And considering the considerable lack of decent DC animate series, I'll take what I can get.