Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

I am offended by your ham, sir.

Franchescanado posted:

But...That's a kids show from an era where television animation wasn't hitting a strong stride.

You're joking, right?

Ciprian Maricon posted:

So am I crazy that I walked away feeling that Batman was a creepy sex offender in that first half hour?

The movie characterizes Barbara as a love-stricken tween who is obsessed with the cool English teacher at her middle school, it also apes the DCAU style pretty hard, which sucked for a lot of reasons but also had the side effect that Barbara looked a lot like she did in BTAS and still read to me as a teenager. Maybe I'm overreacting but if you absolutely have to write a story where these two characters gently caress maybe you should take pains to distance your heroine from her teenage years as a side-kick to the hero she's gonna bone.

That's actually the only thing that isn't wrong with this. To the best of my knowledge, Barbara was never portrayed as being younger than college age, including in the animated series. Keep in mind that even Robin was already in college by the first season. That being said, Batman doesn't need to be a statutory rapist for this subplot to be all kinds of hosed up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

SlothfulCobra posted:

My favorite superhero stories are often the ones where they don't restrict themselves to standard superhero scenarios. You can still have fun with people punching endless waves of people because they're bad guys, but it's more interesting when the whole thing becomes more of a character drama.

Although in some respects, the main reason the less superheroic stories even happen with superheroes is just because superheroes have a stranglehold on the comic industry as a whole. Writers have ended up stretching superheroes far beyond what they have ever been meant for.

They weren't meant for anything. They started out as a continuation of old pulp action heroes and evolved into whatever they need to be. The reason "less superheroic" stories happen with superheroes is because there's no such thing as a "less superheroic" story. Superheroes aren't a specific genre, they're a brightly coloured medium that can be used to tell basically any kind of story you want. Half the fun is seeing what you get when you filter "normal" storytelling methods and tropes though the strange, hyperstylised lens of superheroes.

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

Ferro Lad had his own comic?

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

Reinanigans posted:

You have the worst goddamn taste lmao

What's it like in opposite land?

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

Reinanigans posted:

smdh look at all these poor saps who can't enjoy hunky dwarf man adventures against cool dragons voices by Doctor Sherlock Strange

Parse that sentence for a second and you'll know I'm right.

Too bad about the writing, cinematography, special effects, and directing. But that's okay, it looks really cool. Not like anyone who watches it could compare it to a much better trilogy set in the same world starring several of the same actors.

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

Edit: Page break ruins everything.

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

That show got really loving weird at times.

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

Dexie posted:

Don't forget

7. "PLAAAAAAAAAAAAASMA!"

Those hands freaked me the gently caress out when I was 9.

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

I do dig that Spidey's logic for bringing Storm was that she had the hugest power level of the whole X-Men team. ...and that weather powers would totally be enough to beat THE BEYONDER...

But he also blew 4/7 team slots in the entire Fantastic Four.

How is that blowing slots? They're kind of handy to have around when you're stuck in a weird extradimensional clusterfuck.

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

Lurdiak posted:

I don't remember Hulk showing up, despite having his own show and appearing often on the FF cartoon.

Yeah, Hulk was strangely isolated from the other shows running at the same time. He got a couple of the guest stars Spidey missed, though I can only recall Ghost Rider at the moment. I think Iron Man showed up at one point, but he's not one Spidey missed.

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

ToastyPotato posted:

Sorry? This is one of two threads I read in this subforum.

As someone above said, do not engage Bravest of the Lamps. Before you know it the thread is 2 pages longer and it's been 3 pages since anyone's said anything new.

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

Reinanigans posted:

Someone told me the word is that "Justice League: Dark" is good, and maybe the best DC animated movie. Has anyone here seen it that can confirm/deny?

I don't want to prejudge a movie I haven't seen, but that is a very high bar to clear. The last DC animated feature to come close was four years ago, following which the studio seems to have driven full-tilt in the opposite direction.

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

How much better? War and ToA were awful.

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

ToastyPotato posted:

Red Hood was a decent entry in the pre-"Make everything look the same and seem vaguely like the new52" era. I also liked JL: Doom and Batman/Superman Apocalypse. And the DKR set was better than the current gen stuff as well.

Under the Red Hood predates the new 52 by about a year.

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

Unmature posted:

Nothing he said contradicts that.

I should pay more attention when I read things.

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

X-O posted:

Under The Red Hood is the last decent DC movie, and also the only good use ever of Jason Todd.

All-Star Superman, Superman vs. The Elite, and The Dark Knight Returns were all made after Under the Red Hood, and are among the best DC animated movies ever made. Don't get me wrong, I like Under the Red Hood, but the script is weak and the voice acting isn't much better. It's not as hard to listen to as Superman: Doomsday, but it's far from the upper echelon and definitely not the last "decent" DC movie.

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

Maybe he's just a short guy.

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

Toshimo posted:

My roommate bought The Complete Buffy for like :50bux: which had 39 discs. We made it halfway through Season 1 before just torrenting it because gently caress changing the discs.

There's lazy, and then there's this.

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

teagone posted:

Or they could hire Lauren Montgomery to direct more WW animated films. Every DC animated feature she's directed are all my favorites.

If you really want to relive the golden years, you need Montgomery, Bruce Timm, and Andrea Romano. The worst DC animated features are the ones that didn't employ the Holy Trinity.

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

CharlestheHammer posted:

I don't think there are that many, Gundam is probably the best example but their plots are god awful.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=poV2mZuVOjI

I'm honestly not sure if this is a counterpoint, but it deserves to be remembered either way.

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

Skwirl posted:

I am, especially when we live in a universe where Mask of the Phantasm and Batman Beyond: Return of the Joker exist.

I will say it probably the last good Batman animated movie, but that's just because I haven't seen Lego Batman yet.

Apart from The Dark Knight Returns and, from what I've heard, the Adam West thing that came out a little while ago. I'm waiting for it to turn up on Netflix.

The CBR article starts from a failed premise regardless. Under the Red Hood was well-directed visually (not enough to set a new standard or anything,) but the dialogue was pitiable and the cast was 50/50. DiMaggio's Joker was good, but no one's matched Hamill yet. Repeat the previous sentence with Bruce Greenwood and Kevin Conroy in place of DiMaggio and Hamill. Neil Patrick Harris and Jensen Ackles sounded like they were trying too hard, though the script may be to blame for that. Seriously, the dialogue. It was grade-school simplistic in some places, which really doesn't fit in an extra-dark Batman story. Some of the dialogue in Mask of the Phantasm was corny as poo poo, but at least that fit in the faux-retro noir-ish setting Batman occupied at the time. Return of the Joker had a surprisingly tight script, in the way that everything about Batman Beyond works better than it really should. Both films were at least equal to Under the Red Hood, visually.

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

Skwirl posted:

I liked how in Return of the Joker They had Mark Hamill also play some executive guy as a red herring for the Joker's actual identity.

I must have watched that movie a hundred times, and I never noticed that. The smarmy rear end in a top hat guy who almost got space-lasered on a boat?

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

There will always be at least one really stupid thing.

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

Skwirl posted:

Yup, not as effective as I thought if no one else noticed.

Now that I know about it I can totally hear it. gently caress, but Hamill's a better voice actor than we deserve.

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

Cactus Jack posted:

They should totally retire from these jobs that pay them good money for minimal work and which they can do until they are dead.

If they want to, yes. No one would have a problem with Hamill or Conroy giving it their all until they can't give no more, but they've tried to retire more than once and their more recent work doesn't really hold up compared to their older work. It doesn't feel like their hearts are in it anymore, and if that's the case they should probably move on for reals.

Of course, I could be wrong. It could turn out that they love it as much as they ever did (I would,) and their work "feeling" off might just be because their voices are 25 years older.

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

Lurdiak posted:

Or just bad voice direction, which seems to be a thing in modern DC animated features. Look at how Joker pointlessly screams out some of his lines in The Killing Joke animated film, vs how they were delivered conversationally in the comic.

That's a good point. They haven't had Andrea Romano doing the voice direction for the last few movies, have they?

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

Doctor Spaceman posted:

She did the two N52 Justice League movies, plus Son of Batman, Assault on Arkham, and Batman vs Robin.

poo poo. I guess there's only so much you can do with some scripts.

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

Reinanigans posted:

That list is insane. TAS Mr. Freeze is so iconic and only got 2 episode?!

Also, lol, Rupert Thorn is one of the most used.

They were really good episodes. So good they turned a C-list joke of a Batman villain into one of his most dangerous and compelling rogues, essentially overnight. His Beyond episode was superb as well.

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

NikkolasKing posted:

So I'm gonna be reading The Dark Knight Returns for the first time in a bit.

Should I check out the two part movie adaptation?

You absolutely should. It's one of the best animated films DC has ever put out, and might be the last genuinely good one. Despite what others have said, it manages to temper the original story's Millerisms without abandoning them (which would make it a completely different story rather than an adaptation.) And no offense to Lurdiak, but their opinion of the animation is 100% backwards.

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

Davros1 posted:

The biggest problem with TDKR adaptation is that so much of Bruce's characterization is told using caption boxes doubling as Bruce's thoughts, which is completely eliminated in the cartoon.

Take the opening scene, where Bruce is a car race, and his car is about to crash.

In the comic, you learn that he's considering doing nothing, and just allowing himself to be killed, before he realizes that that death wouldn't be "good enough".

In the cartoon, the car's crashing, and Bruce escapes. That's it.

So much is lost in the adaptation.

It did seem like a bit of a loss not having the narration but, frankly, what works on paper or in a 7 minute segment doesn't necessarily work over 3 hours of movie. There's a reason most movies don't have a lot of narration, and I personally feel that the full adaptation would have suffered more if the narration had been included than it did by omitting it. Your mileage may vary.

That being said, we lost a few really good lines as a result.

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

Timeless Appeal posted:

This is kind of diminishing what's happening in the TNBA scene. It's not in anyway a straight adaptation of the book and that's kind of my point. It makes changes to make a more dynamic scene and make this new look that evokes the book while working on the screen. What the actual film should have done.

This might be the only thing we actually disagree on. I'm of the opinion that the film did exactly what you're describing, changed the scene to make it more dynamic and cinematic. I think it managed to convey Bruce's borderline-suicidal recklessness through his actions (the smashing of the safety thing,) and the grim ennui that fuels it (the bored, deadpan tone of his dialogue in that scene.) I won't argue that it was as effective as the print version, since it clearly didn't work for everyone, but I will argue that they were as successful as I could reasonably expect them to be. I won't claim you're wrong if you feel otherwise.

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

Timeless Appeal posted:

The thing about Bruce is that he's not so much suicidal as he is in search of a satisfying ending. i do agree that they get across the notion that Bruce is not so invested in living anymore, but not the nuance of wanting a good death. I don't think they get across that hesitation and assessment of this as a potential ending for him.

No argument there. It would have been better if they'd found a way to work in the "good death" line. Maybe with the echoing internal Batman voice they used later in the film.

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

Lurdiak posted:

BTAS' take on Bane is pretty lame and their contempt of the character is obvious.

What makes you say that? I don't remember the episode very well.

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

SonicRulez posted:

The only thing that I don't absolutely love in the DCAU is how relentlessly bleak Beyond's premise is. And how they tied it off with that JLU episode.

I don't see how Beyond is any more bleak than Batman classic. Is there one particular aspect of the story that makes you feel that way, or is it something in the overall tone?

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

I made the mistake of conflating TAS Batman with comic book Batman when making that comparison. Compared to TAS, Beyond is less than optimistic, at best.

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

I also somehow forgot that Return of the Joker contains one of the darkest scenes of any Batman story ever.

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

achillesforever6 posted:

Whatever happened to Dick in BB? Kind of weird if they never brought him up

They did, very briefly. I got the impression that the rift was widest between Bruce and Dick, making reconciliation very unlikely.

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

Lurdiak posted:

You reminded me of a pretty great issue of the Batman Adventures comic.

Goddamnit, don't make me see that twice in one day.

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

purple death ray posted:

I guess different strokes and all that but I think personally if you don't absolutely love Nicholson as the Joker you're a crazy bastard with no taste
It was just Jack Nicholson playing Jack Nicholson in face paint. It worked because Nicholson's normal demeanour is that of a potentially dangerous lunatic, but it's really nothing special. You could get the same performance just by having a casual conversation with him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

Lurdiak posted:

There's a couple really boring ones, but only I've Got Batman In My Basement, The Underdwellers, and Cat Scratch fever are genuinely bad to the point that I'd say skip 'em.

I'm going to have to disagree with you on The Underdwellers. I've always loved that episode. If nothing else, it was the first time the series showed us Scary Angry Batman (which is worth a lot more when it's not his default state.)