Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Why can't people criticize lovely comic book movies without it being made political.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Alaois posted:

and based on everything i've seen of him, not even just The Killing Joke, that baffles me

Azzarello definitely is one of those dudes that I absolutely do not get the love for.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Extra, Extra, Grant Morrison and Brian Azzarello team up to ruin good Batman story!

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

It's not "the system" that Gordon is defending. It's "Our way". The way of trying to do the right thing and not crossing lines. The way of holding oneself to a higher standard, of not doing what your enemy does just to "win".

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Kurzon posted:

I wonder why it was so important for him to prove that to the Joker.

Because the entirety of Joker's plan was trying to prove how meaningless that sort of morality is, and Gordon thinks it's the biggest "gently caress you" possible to still do the right thing after what Joker did to him.

Kurzon posted:

I interpreted it as a subtle dig at past Batman conventions. This was a couple of years after Moore wrote, Watchmen, remember. Perhaps Moore was mocking the ridiculousness of a city official having an open relationship with a vigilante and pretending it was all legal.

You seem determined to read the story against the authorial intent.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Unmature posted:

This just in: Spergs on the internet don't understand artistic interpretation and will only take the author's intent as law, EXTREE EXTREE!

I understand artistic interpretation just fine, but trying to read everything against both the explicit text and the script and then alluding that your interpretation is supported by your understanding of the author's politics or personality is dumb as dog poo poo.

I'm sorry that makes you upset and makes you feel the need to call me names.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Unmature posted:

Everyone here calls you names.

Someone got up on the stupid rear end in a top hat side of the bed this morning!

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Ideally you'd have him combating crime on every front, both as a billionaire philanthropist and a leather-clad sadist, although it does raise questions about sleep cycles and exhaustion (something the Nolan films addressed pretty handily).

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

The scene in Mask of the Phantasm is him begging his parents' grave to let him be happy.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

That was the Scarecrow episode where his dad showed up to call him a dumb loser. And his response to that was I AM THE NIGHT!!!

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I thought only Begins really made Gotham look distinct. They really gave it this... anachronistic turn of the century look. Like it looked like what people in the early 1900s thought the big cities would shape up to be.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Oracle was certainly a more interesting character than Barbara Gordon as Batgirl ever was.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

You can't make Killing Joke badly written just by repeating the lie often enough.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

ImpAtom posted:

God, you really are just the worst loving poster in this subforum.

You know what you could maybe do? Actually do something besides a single poo poo-and-run post? Except apparently you're entirely incapable of that.

I'm sorry that I don't see the value in endlessly ranting about something, especially when my entire angle on that thing is asinine and clearly motivated by fanboyism of a lovely character. But please feel free to continue judging me as a person for disagreeing with one thing you said in your gigantic idiotic rant.

"Oh no! He thinks one of the universally agreed 3 best Batman comics is good! What a piece of poo poo!"

I guess if I'd posted 600 words about something as blatantly obvious as "The Killing Joke is an extremely well thought-out masterpiece that defined Batman and Joker's relationship for decades" you'd be totally cool with it, and not be throwing a dumb tantrum about its mistreatment of one of DC's most boring characters. Clearly the problem is with my conciseness and not your stupid childish grudge with a well-respected author.

You dumb motherfucker.

Lurdiak fucked around with this message at 07:29 on Aug 2, 2016

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Everyone, please read my 3 page hot take on why Death of Captain Marvel is a lovely book by a lovely writer because it doesn't treat Gamora with the respect she deserves.

What's that, you think I'm dumb? Well that makes you a lovely poster who isn't willing to debate honestly with us intellectuals.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Android Blues posted:

I don't think the general consensus is that The Killing Joke is lovely. In fact, I don't think there's a single person in this thread saying that.

ImpAtom was repeatedly saying the book was poorly written, and got really upset that I disagreed without writing a novel. I don't mind if people criticize the book, I'm not married to it.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

A Gnarlacious Bro posted:

I think its lovely, nice rant btw

Thanks, glad you agree with it.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

CharlestheHammer posted:

You do see the irony in fanboying out while decrying fanboying right? Also no one called it poorly written just that part of it is, which it absolutely is. I don't give a gently caress about batgirl as a character but poorly written is poorly written. So stop being a smug, disingenuous motherfucker.

I'm not fanboying out for poo poo, I'm reacting to an idiot thinking his stupid lovely opinion was worth more than a one sentence middle finger. If I can't be smug while replying to someone who throws a fit about how people disagreeing with him must be bad posters, I don't know when I can be.

Not sure why you think something that obvious requires you to come in and declare me disingenuous, though.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

DrProsek posted:

I pose the same question to you. Why was your opinion worth three paragraphs? You posted it like we were supposed to care about it, but I didn't see you prove out why your opinion deserved more than one sentence

Why do any of us post on forums when we could all keep our thoughts to ourselves. Really makes you think.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

ImpAtom posted:

As usually, Lurdiak, you just wanted to shitpost and run and in doing so you decided without actually reading anything that I was someone talking about how terrible and awful Killing Joke is and how it's the worst story ever.

It's interesting that you decided to get mad and insult me and declare I was "shitposting and running" when I didn't even quote you in my initial post. I just said "Killing Joke isn't bad" and you called that a shitpost and declared me the worst! poster! ever! And I'm supposed to be the one with a reading problem?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

CharlestheHammer posted:

That is the definition of fanboying. You got offended someone didn't think a story you like is perfect and responded in a juvenile whiny way.

Well, I guess you can apply death of the author to forum posts, and I can't stop you.

ImpAtom posted:

We are on an internet forum where your previous posts can be directly linked you know.

Unless you were talking to someone who literally wasn't posting you were responding to a conversation that literally involved me responding to Kurzon with one post from Franchescanado which mentions nothing about bad writing. So trying to go "no, no, I wasn't talking to you, how funny you assume that?" is dumb.

I was responding to more or less the entire page the conversation was happening on.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

ImpAtom posted:

... The only other post about TKJ on that page was D_T's review of the movie.

No it isn't?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

CharlestheHammer posted:

This isn't a book and posters can and do lie all the time so don't be dense.

I was referring to how you were applying non-existent intent to my post.

This argument is starting to go in circles.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Franchescanado posted:

I don't really understand the hate either, Lurdiak. You took the minimal approach when there are actual bad and stupid opinions being thrown in this thread left and right.

I guess it's just "poo poo on Lurdiak to make ourselves feel better" time, again. I'm used to it.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Franchescanado posted:

I got your back, bro.

You doing Scream Stream again this year? How far in advance do you plan that poo poo?

Of course I'm doing it again! I've got a theme planned and some of the lineup set up based on that, but it's not set in stone and I've still got plenty of research to do. I usually have to stop myself from planning it TOO far in advance, cuz if I get everything ready in like July that leaves me chomping at the bit for months. I'll make a thread as usual in October.

FilthyImp posted:

Hey Lurdy...

U MAD?
heh :smug:

Sometimes...

Lurdiak fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Aug 2, 2016

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

ImpAtom posted:

I snapped at you and I probably shouldn't have but at bare minimum I think you have to recognize the difference between "The Killing Joke isn't bad" and calling people a liar.

Yeah I guess I coulda been less snippy too. Waking up after a lovely night's sleep to being called "the worst poster on the forum" is a bad way to start the day.

ToastyPotato posted:

It's almost as if people reacted to a lovely post you made. Imagine a world where you didn't make lovely posts and no one shat on you for it. I'm not even trying to dog pile here dude. You literally flipped out and started swearing and name calling because you got mad that someone called you out on a kind of lovely post. Maybe instead of getting used to it, you should look inward and realize that maybe the problem is something you are doing wrong, if it is happening that often. Or don't' and get poo poo on. Either way don't whine about. No one forces you to post.

I'm not even dogpiling *proceeds to dogpile*

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Your support is appreciated.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

TokenTrevor posted:

Wow that sure is an av you got tho

Tell me again how nobody has it out for me.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Mr Hootington posted:

This is great. I wonder who your nemesis is.

I'm pretty sure I know.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Yeah, if someone wanted to "pad out" The Killing Joke because they're a dumb rear end in a top hat who thinks an animated film needs to be a certain length for people to feel like they got their money's worth, you'd think they would've added more down-on-his-luck comedian Joker scenes instead of what they added.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Hey, I don't know. Maybe more scenes of him being normal before things go bad. Maybe an extremely painful extended scene of him bombing on stage.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

e X posted:

As good as Weissmann kann be, he tends to overdue it with the world building,

:eyepop:

Phone posting, huh.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

ToastyPotato posted:

Weisman just shot down the Netflix rumor on Twitter so oh well.

Well that's unsurprising.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

That animation looks so stiff, the style is so nothing. :smith:

You just described every DC animated film as far back as I can remember.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I remember watching Garfield as a child in that reluctant "no other cartoons are on" way that I put up with so many bad shows.

Why couldn't everything be Darkwing Duck?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

While some of the lines mooks have in the Arkham games are loving garbage and uninspired, especially the ones they yell during combat. (IT'S THE FREAKIN BAT!!), a ton of the incidental conversations they have among themselves are amazing. Except the ones where they talk about how bad they wanna rape (insert any of the female characters here).

It helps that most of it is Joe DiMaggio talking to another Joe DiMaggio.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I blame this oxycotin I'm on.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

we get Spider-man with Kevin S-

Oh please no!

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

hinick as story editor.

Oh thank god.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Can't wait for the Wonder Woman/Wonder Girl sex scene.