Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I'm sure if that series hadn't been conceived as a tie-in to a movie that never got made he would've been a loving high school student in that too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Skwirl posted:

I don't think the 60's Spider-Man cartoon or Spider-Man and his Amazing Friends featured a high school aged Peter Parker either.

The 60s one was too early for nostalgia.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I think the GotG formula of "sort of related to the movies but not really" is best for this kinda show.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Yup. That's also why, much like BTAS, there was no origin episode (until they did a weird reimagining of The Boy Who Collected Spider-man and used that to tell the origin).

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Roth posted:

http://nerdist.com/batman-return-of-the-caped-crusaders-sequel-casts-william-shatner-as-two-face/

Return of the Caped Crusaders is getting a sequel with William Shatner as Two-Face.

It's supposed to be Clint Eastwood. :(

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

There is no God.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

ToastyPotato posted:

Hey now, The Hobbit eventually happened. :unsmith:

I wish it hadn't.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Reinanigans posted:

You have the worst goddamn taste lmao

Young Justice is back. The people have spoken. Democracy works!!!

Oh yes, The Hobbit Trilogy is a thing everyone should like, or they have bad taste. No crippling legacy-ruining flaws there.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Aphrodite posted:

To be fair to that guy he's still right.

You really should stop projecting.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Dwayne McDuffie was the best. :(

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I didn't really enjoy the New Adventures of Batman and Robin nearly as much as Batman The Animated Series, but fusing Tim Drake and Jason Todd into one character made him a much better fit for the show. Especially since Dick Grayson had already been shown to kinda like computers and video games in BTAS, which is all Tim Drake has going for him.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

OnimaruXLR posted:

So there's no difference between Toy Story and Shrek 4-Ever After, is what you're saying?

One's really boring and the other's Shrek.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I feel like calling the movie bad is a huge understatement. You can't even make the case that it has good voice acting because the voice direction is poo poo.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Yeah, the last shot of the series is Spiderman and Madam Web departing on a new trip to find Mary Jane and bring her back home for good. So yeah, hardly a conclusive ending. For a while there was a persistent rumor that Spiderman Unlimited was the continuation of that.

It's a pretty conclusive ending in my book. Sure, they could've had the big emotional reunion with Mary Jane, but considering how badly Fox censored their attempts at romantic subplots it probably would've been really anti-climactic. It's safe to assume Madame Web took him directly to Mary Jane and everyone lived happily ever after.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

The sucker hands were way creepier than just fangs.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Chaos Hippy posted:

How is that blowing slots? They're kind of handy to have around when you're stuck in a weird extradimensional clusterfuck.

Iron Man and Lizard are the only ones who do a drat thing during the entire crossover.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I don't remember Hulk showing up, despite having his own show and appearing often on the FF cartoon.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

notthegoatseguy posted:

Even Mark Hamil really isn't that good in it.

Conroy and Hamil are great at what they do but when the voice director says "scream this line angrily even though it was whispered mournfully in the comic" there's not much you can do.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Like what was the last pirate movie before Cutthroat island? Hook? That didn't exactly rake it in.

If a movie's a huge flop it can't really kill a genre since it means no one saw it so their opinion of the genre will remain unchanged.

Now those Schumacher Batman movies, they definitely killed Batman, because everyone saw them and went "Batman sucks now".

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

It takes 1 minute for Spider-man to fail to escape danger by his spider-sense, get in a metal suit, meet and be threatened by the main X-Men team, threatened to be stabbed by Wolverine, flirt by Rogue, destroy that metal suit, web up the entire X-Men roster, destroy a huge metal door and try to escape the X-Mansion. Jesus.

The pacing of the 90s Spider-man cartoon was ridiculous. Everything moved way too fast with no time to breathe, and sometimes natural pauses in conversation were noticeably edited out so that the show could go go go.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Metalshark posted:

I binged through the show and it was probably the most stressful show I've ever watched. Far worse than Breaking Bad or whatever for this very reason. 90s Spidey was relentless!

I honestly wish the show had better animation, less hectic pacing and not quite as much Fox-mandated censorship, because some of the stories are pretty decent adaptations of comic book stuff and the voice cast was great, but its problems make a lot rougher to rewatch than even X-men.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Skwirl posted:

I remember when Spider-Man 3 came out a bunch of people saying it's impossible to do the venom story in less than two movies, and while I don't think that movie was a good version of it my response was always "bitch, the cartoon did a perfectly respectable version of it in 60 minutes."

I mean that's not really true, Eddie Brock was built up for ages before he got the symbiote.

I do think the problem with the black costume story is that getting rid of it in the bell tower is basically the climax of the arc, having Venom show up after that in the same film feels kind of.. .foregone? Excessive? It's not about how much time is left in your movie, it's about plot structure.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

SonicRulez posted:

The cartoon has the symbiote come from a crashed rocket ship, right? But then it also did Secret Wars? I'm mis-remembering something.

Secret Wars was really different and was part of the series finale. After several seasons of portentous hints about destiny and whatever, Madame Web introduced Peter to the Beyonder, who rigged the entire secret wars as a test of Spidey's leadership skills so he could later lead a team of Spider-mans from the multiverse to stop Spider-Carnage from THIS SHOW WAS SO STUPID OH MY GOD.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

SonicRulez posted:

I remember that batshit insane stuff and I feel like Ben was there and Spidey met Stan Lee. All that. However, I also remember like the Dr. Doom stuff and the Fantastic Four were there. Was that all one massive crossover event?

Yes. The Secret Wars story had Spider-man choose a bunch of allies to fight a group of villains who were chosen by Beyonder and let loose upon a completely peaceful planet. Then he fast-forwarded time one year and they had turned the planet into a Mad Max hellhole and carved out fiefdoms. Spider-man called in the FF to deal with Doom, Captain America to deal with Red Skull, Iron Man because he has lasers, Black Cat because he figured he might as well get some while he was stuck on this planet, and then he realized he had one spot left so he picked an X-man at random and landed on Storm.

Once Secret Wars wrapped up and Spider-man successfully defeated Spider-Carnage, he got to meet Stan.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1N9TIvIEnpA

As cheesy as this is, I often think about what Spidey says about how even fictional characters have to grow up sometime.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

FOX's list of things the show couldn't do was nothing short of brutal. For some reason one of them was that Spider-man cannot injure pigeons while swinging or landing, which makes me think there was a specific bird-killing gag in the pilot script or something.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

SonicRulez posted:

Maybe if he'd slapped the Liontamer on Deathstroke, I might give a poo poo about him.

Lion Tamer was such a cool freaking move. RIP WWE allowing cool moves.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

ToastyPotato posted:

WWE banned a submission move? I thought they only banned moves like pile drivers and DDT type stuff.

Anything that can compress the spine was banned or modified like 10+ years ago, along with a variety of particularly risky high-flying moves. The lion tamer went from this:

to this weak-rear end boston crab:

Although while googling I found a couple images of him doing it properly that seemed more recent, so maybe they've relented in recent years.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Yeah only the DDT variants that are as unsafe as a piledriver have been banned, which is very few of them.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

The best DC animated feature was Mask of the Phantasm, thank you.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

purple death ray posted:

I would take Mystery of the Batwoman over the stuff coming out today honestly

drat straight.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Sub-Zero wasn't even as good as Heart of Ice.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Reinanigans posted:

Yeah, but...that's like the best episode of an animated show ever, so....

Well that's fair but you can't really divorce yourself from comparing the Mr. Freeze Movie from the Mr. Freeze Mini Movie, and the former is not even really close.

purple death ray posted:

Batman and Robin is actually good but this is the animation thread

Nah.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Did you guys know bad things are actually satire.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Tommy Lee Jones' Two-Face is him having no idea how to play the role and just doing a loving terrible Jack Nicholson as Joker impression.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Skwirl posted:

If they don't have the original animation cells they'd basically have to redraw the entire series to make a noticeable upgrade in quality, TNG was shot on film and they had access to the original film for most of it, the big issue was any of the effects shots with TNG and Batman would basically count as nothing but effect shots.

Yeah basically this is the most likely issue. And it's important to remember that the TNG blu-rays sold for poo poo because people would rather watch the 4:3 un-remastered version on netflix than have to like... buy a blu-ray set and like, put it in their blu-ray player. The push for more fidelity is well and truly dead now that the people have spoken and they want convenience and low prices instead. A BTAS blu-ray would be competing with past releases, and only the most die-hard fans would go for it.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

redbackground posted:

Also, I thought ST:TNG on netflix was the remastered version.

I mean, maybe eventually they put up the remastered version there in an attempt to recoup costs, but at the time, nah.

Timeless Appeal posted:

I do miss the good old days of listening to every Simpsons DVD commentary.

Listening to Family Guy commentary tracks is how I got over liking Family Guy.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

The direction is good, but the actual animation, while not as horrendous as DC's modern output, is still pretty lame compared to some of the DCAU's best stuff.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

SonicRulez posted:

Lego Batman is drat phenomenal. Under the Red Hood does not compare. It doesn't beat out Return of the Joker either.

Even though the Joker chip is actually really stupid.

It wouldn't be Batman Beyond if there wasn't a weird, goofy, impossible sci fi element.

I don't know how others feel about Mask of the Phantasm but I'd definitely rank it above Under the Red Hood by quite a lot.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Bruce Timm needs to have his horney surgically removed. And props to Arleen Sorkin for retiring and staying retired. That's not even a joke, some performers keep getting roped in for "one last appearance" and work until they die and that's sad to me. Anyone who can walk away and stay away deserves a thumbs up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

haitfais posted:

Of course, I could be wrong. It could turn out that they love it as much as they ever did (I would,) and their work "feeling" off might just be because their voices are 25 years older.

Or just bad voice direction, which seems to be a thing in modern DC animated features. Look at how Joker pointlessly screams out some of his lines in The Killing Joke animated film, vs how they were delivered conversationally in the comic.