Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!
I think it was Son of Batman that got me to give up these DC movies all together, which is really a shame because their early output was really good. Except for Superman: Doomsday.

SonicRulez posted:

Teen Titans Go is endearing to me. I won't pretend I go out of my way to watch episodes of it, but the showrunners are great. Their attitude about the show is awesome. I've gotten a few chuckles out of it.

TKJ was a mistake.

I was shocked when I found out how much people hate TTG. I love it, because it's the only DC show in years that's not up it's own rear end trying to be super serious. Even Young Justice suffered from that, along with all the teen angst in the first season.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!
On the plus side, it sounds like Batman and Joker crush mad pussy bro!

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

SonicRulez posted:

I'm really glad I can come here. Talking to my friends about the movie on Facebook has been....well, it's been really disheartening. I had a fellow tell me there's no sexism in The Killing Joke. I mean you can like TKJ, I do, but...come on. COME ON!

I had a co-worker tell me she loved the movie yesterday, even said the sex scene was hot. No joke, her exact words.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

ToastyPotato posted:

Did she like 50 Shades of Grey? Because lots of women did. Also Twilight, both of which were filled with some bad relationship ideals.

Harley Quinn is her favorite character......

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

Kurzon posted:

But is this a bad thing?

How is this even a question?

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Makes me wonder, when was the 11-minute format first invented? Stuff from Nick's launch in '91 was in that format, like Rugrats, and they continues to pump out a lot, I want to say that's when the format caught on and the then current and upcoming animation channels started ordering stuff in that format.

I always assumed it was just a throwback to classic Disney and Loony Toons shorts.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

Yvonmukluk posted:

I suppose we should have taken that as a sign that DC apparently has to put Barbara Gordon into a poorly written relationship with another member of the Batfamily for cheap drama, because apparently the audience wouldn't care otherwise.

That was such an odd change that honestly wasn't needed at all, but I guess you could say that about most of Arkham Knight

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

Roth posted:

Off the top of my head, I recall a lot of characters had a catchphrase, or something reoccurring about them.

The whole "whelmed" gag, which I did think was funny.
Lagoon Boy saying "By Neptune's Beard"
Beast Boy saying "Noted"
Wally pointing out "Trophy!" at the end of every mission.

There was also, "Hello Meghan".

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

Catfishenfuego posted:

Teen Titans Go is fantastic and about 100 times better than Young Justice or the original Teen Titans.

I could never get into the original TT and Young Justice thought took itself way too seriously for a show about teen heroes, but I've liked everything I've seen from TTG.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

Wheat Loaf posted:

Pokémon has a weird status for me, because in my school, some people liked the games and most people liked the anime, but everyone was completely obsessed with the trading cards, even though I don't think a single person actually knew how to play the game. It was all about collecting them and swapping them.

My brothers and I saved up for weeks to buy a starter pack and when we finally bought one we got bored and gave up before we even finished reading the instructions.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

site posted:

Beast machines was where they killed like half the characters from Wars and went back to a dead Cybertron and morphed into like half animal half vehicle forms and optimus became some weird pacifist monk for a while right?

That show sucked

They also made Raptrap totally useless in battle so all he could do was run and hide and turned Rhinox into a villain.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

ToastyPotato posted:

They actually ran concurrently for some time.

That was something I always thought was weird as a kid. A tv show with two almost completely different versions running at the same time. Like the syndicated TMNT episodes were so different from the episodes that were on CBS. Same with Darkwing Duck and Aladdin.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!
The answer is Hot Topic.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

New pic of YJ S3

Wait, are they seriously doing another time skip/ cast change?

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

Hemingway To Go! posted:

2011. it was really bad.

So so bad. I think I gave up around the time Panthro lost his arms and replaced them with stretchy Inspector Gadget ones.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

purple death ray posted:

Read this series of comics from 2001 about how video games suck and aren't for 'real' gamers anymore. It's basically the same gatekeeping attitude that has always been used to shut out women/minorities from gaming. They aim it at a 'chad' sort of buff jock cliche too. Self-identified 'gamers' are children who never grow out of high school and when they get any kind of power they immediately turn into petty, vindictive balls of spite. You can draw a throughline straight from that attitude to today's gamergate style harassment campaigns.

They might not be deep in it themselves but there's a 90% chance they completely agree with it and just don't want to hurt their bottom line by fully committing to it.

I stopped reading on the second strip when they referred to video games as "our herriatiage". I'll just never understand that mentality.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

ToastyPotato posted:

The huge gaps between Venture Bros seasons legit made me stop watching it.

Seriously, I tried to jump back in a few years ago and was completely lost.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!
I'm still baffled that they keep churning these DC animated movies out like clockwork while the quality has been extremely uneven for over a decade.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

Toshimo posted:

Quality is irrelevant if people keep giving them money.

I meant, who is buying this poo poo?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

ThermoPhysical posted:

Yeah, that's the scene that made me stop and rewind.

It was really weird and, after having watched a few clips of Suicide Squad: Hell to Pay, it looks like DC just kind of lost their poo poo around that movie since it's just as gratuitously gory and edgy as JLD 2.

In fact, you get to see Count Vertigo's head explode in a pretty close-up shot. It's not as horrifying as hearing Mera's screams in JLD 2 when you get to see her head being ripped in two by Paradooms. But still stupid as gently caress.

This is my one issue with the Harley series. There's just so much unnecessary gore in every episode that it just loses all shock value. Which is a real shame because otherwise it's a really well written show, but falls in the trap a lot of adult cartoons do where they just go overboard with graphic violence and language.