Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

TheHan posted:

I always liked Goblin's very awkward pose as he gasses Spider-Man.

Or how long it takes. Even ignoring Spider-Sense he still accepts the gas like it's some cool mist on a hot day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Gaz-L posted:

Plus the weird choice to hold back Osborn until really late in the run so you have the Hobgoblin coming first. And the fact that the contemporary comics were kind of a mess, so they do poo poo like the clones and 6-armed Spidey. (Black Cat getting the super soldier serum does predate the more modern 'every frickin' experiment is an attempt to recreate Cap' trend, though.)

Clones yes, but six-armed Spidey was from the early 70s. The series was good for adapting stories from the full history of the comics up to that point. I don't think any series is going to surpass it for that kind of thing. Spectacular may have had it continued.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Was Hell in DBZ even depicted as that bad of a place? I know in Super they showed Frieza being tormented by cutesy celebrations.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Did Batman face off against Splinter? I saw some clips online of that movie and it looked like his bout with Shredder ended in a draw.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Alfred and Batgirl but no Splinter? That's some bullshit.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Ah gently caress I missed "jubilation". Someone else pointed it out.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

We signed up to Disney+ and I'm disappointed that only season 1 of the current Spider-Man series is on there. I just started watching it for the first time so it'll take me a while to catch up anyway but I wonder what the hold up is.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Ah, ok. Well that's fine then. I had heard about season 3 and thought the discussion about season 2 was about the whole thing as if it was done.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Maybe. I've really only been skimming the posts because of potential spoilers so I'm not surprised I got it wrong.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

cant cook creole bream posted:

Man, I am repeating myself and nobody seems to care, but that Spider-man cartoon is really good.

I would/will care but I gotta catch up first!
One thing I find interesting is that taken together with Into the Spider-Verse and the PS4 game it seems like any new adaptation leans into the team of Spider-People instead of just being about Parker. Well, unless it's live action.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

MorningMoon posted:

https://twitter.com/yost/status/1250435023829749767

The basic gist was that Doom would use Purple Man to become the emperor of the world, instead of Purple Man controlling Tony Stark.

I really with that series had kept going. Lots more Avengers stories to tell but also decades worth of stories from the individual heroes' comics as well. Like how they did a version of the Technovore issues from Iron Man.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Dawgstar posted:

Jeph Loeb laughs at you wanting story arcs. KIDS DO NOT UNDERSTAND THINGS THEIR TINY MINDS ARE TOO FRAGILE. Or whatever he said.

I wonder if he ever actually thought that or if it was just cover for other reasons. It is easier to write and broadcast disconnected, stand-alone episodes and that also perhaps means lower costs.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Blows my mind that people go through life thinking what a character says is what the writer believes.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

The problem with episodes that tie together sequentially is that they actually have to be aired in the correct order and in the analog cable/broadcasting era the viewer needed to be able to catch the episodes when they air (though VCRs helped). The former thing didn't always happen, sometimes infamously so, and as much as any kid wants to always be there after school or Saturday morning to watch their fave shows life gets in the way. So the viewer can get pretty confused or miss things.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Calaveron posted:

Considering there was a group of villains that was just the fantastic four it undoubtedly was a homage.
That one panel and sequence of spidey lifting all that poo poo is fantastic, and it was finally referenced in Homecoming

Referenced but it's tough to really do it justice.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

People also thought it might have been a reference when he stops the falling warehouse wall from crushing him and MJ and then throws it off at the end of the Dr. Octopus fight in Spider-Man 2.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

The Question IRL posted:

I was about to post a smart Alec post of "the way to solve the dichotomy of how being Batman is depressing and never has an upbeat ending is to just make him Spider-man. :smuggo: "

But then I got thinking about something a bit more profound.

Like how regularly people will argue about Bruce Wayne never making a difference because he keeps having to fight the same bad guys over and over yada yada yada.
But nobody every makes the same comments about Superman or Spider-man.
Like nobody says they are a part of the problem or they never fully fix the Industiral Supervillain Complex.

Instead Batman is the one that always get's the blame. Batman should really hire a PR person.

Because those other two heroes aren't portrayed as being on some mission to eradicate crime and because they don't have deep-rooted childhood trauma driving them. It's set up to be extra tragic if he fails.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Also, Gotham is basically Batman's. No one would expect Spider-Man to eradicate crime in New York by himself when from day 1 he's never been the only hero in the city.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

site posted:

Tbh I'm not a fan of how they tried to make (retcon?) Doc Ock into being a murderous psychopath because of a "mental defect" or whatever the writer of the week wanted to label it, maybe I'm off base but it felt kinda pretty ableist

It would be a retcon to say it wasn't a physical problem. The explosion in his origin damaged his brain. And then much later they also added an abusive upbringing leading to anger and violence issues.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

TheHan posted:

I think after his origin story the brain damage aspect was totally dropped, until Mephisto had to bring it up again when he took Ock's hot new Peter Parker body and gave him his original loser body back.

Not sure if it was dropped or just not repeatedly mentioned. The Amazing Spider-Man vs. The Brain-Damaged Doctor Octopus! Once he became Dr. Octopus the how and why was old news until they started fleshing out his backstory much later. Spider-Man villain development and histories were not fertile ground for stories for a long time.

But it stopped being a thing for long enough that Slott was able to make a story about Ock's brain being damaged over the years by Spider-Man's fists.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

It would at least be a shared responsibility. Spider-Man isn't the only person who's ever punched Dr. Octopus in the head.

Too bad when Ock died in the 90s The Hand didn't resurrect him with any of his long-term injuries healed.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Yvonmukluk posted:

I think it's more likely Slott forgot that happened. I seem to recall that one of the events referenced as part of the litany of injuries that put him in that state was that time Joe Fixit knocked him out with a flick of the finger, which I think happened before he died and was resurrected.

I don't think he forgot considering Stunner showed up in the Superior storyline. And Slott doesn't seem like the sort to forget a thing like Dr. Octopus dying and being brought back. He just glossed over it because the story only makes sense if Dr. Octopus has the long history of being beaten up by Spider-Man because why him and not any other of his unpowered foes? The reader needs to assume the full history of Spider-Man has happened in the impossibly compressed way that every Marvel character's publication history has happened but also at the same time it's not too compressed because Dr. Octopus and Spider-Man have a much older shared history than between any other (unpowered) villain and Spider-Man.

Lobok fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Sep 4, 2020

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

ImpAtom posted:

To be honest it's pretty hard for me to imagine a situation where Green Lantern's ring is completely worthless but a handgun is going to save the day. I'm not saying they don't exist but "I need it for backup" really assumes Earth Bullets are going to do poo poo against 90% of what GLs are dealing with.

Other than the rings themselves is there a weapon that spans the DC universe? Like Thanagarian tech or something.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

TwoPair posted:

Do you mean a weapon that's common tech all over the universe or a weapon that just works on all enemies (the way maybe an Earth gun wouldn't)?

Common tech all over the universe. Like the AK47 of the DC universe.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

MJ? Who is this MJ? My name is Maribald Janewhether, good sir. Are you some kind of lost circus performer? Your costume is quite garish and juvenile..

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

X-O posted:

I might get flack for this but I've always hated when they give Batman's 'ears' this type look. I get stylistically why it's done but I don't like it.

Same.

Interested in this show for the noir aspect. I know Abrams' involvement has people wary but how involved will be really be? Being an executive producer doesn't necessarily mean much. Can't imagine Spielberg was hands-on with Tiny Toons telling animators to tone down Dizzy's slobber by 25%.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

What did Spielberg do?

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Skwirl posted:

Day to day, who knows, but this is not the description of someone who just takes a check so a show can have their famous name on it.

I didn't think it was like that. Assumed he had a hand in putting together the creative team who would make the show but peaced out after that.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

I miss the days when people’s pant legs went down to the tops of their shoes. Must be getting old.

To be consistent there really should be cuffs on the blue leg part of Superman's costume with skin showing just above the red boots.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I just get all my news from IGN.

All. My news.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Are the Blu-Rays still available? That's what I have. Wouldn't be surprised if they were all up on YouTube as well.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

That's terrible.

To be honest when I was reading through the posts I was assuming it was something like she turned out to be a huge bigot.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

site posted:

wasn't "don't ya wanna ride your harley??" in like one of the very first episodes of btas

Get the sense the character was created to make this line.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Harley's way more fun and interesting than Livewire or Mercy. An electricity villain? Ground-breaking. A bad guy's bodyguard? Mind-blowing.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

Livewire I think has potential.

:rolleyes:

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Hoping they pick up exactly where they left off as if nearly 30 years hadn't passed.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Sweet. I'll probably have finished the 2017 series by then.

Wonder if it's freshman year of high school or university? I'm guessing high school.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Lobok posted:

Sweet. I'll probably have finished the 2017 series by then.

Wonder if it's freshman year of high school or university? I'm guessing high school.

Ah, well there we go. It's an MCU animated show.

quote:

The animated series follows Peter Parker on his way to becoming Spider-Man in the MCU, with a journey unlike we've ever seen and a style that celebrates the character’s early comic book roots.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Vandar posted:

Spidey TAS is good but it's also got the worst pacing in the world and moves at like, a mile a minute. It's exhausting to watch.

Some of the fights can be pretty annoying to watch, because the show was infamously not allowed to have Spider-Man throw punches, but it's not like the fight choreography worked around it by having him do a lot of other inventive moves. It sometimes felt like he was just there to dodge things or get hit or run around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

The first season will always hold a special place in my heart because it was the first time we had really seen Spider-Man move in a cool way with good animation. That first episode against the Lizard set a high bar.