Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Y-Hat posted:

I'm watching the Mitchell episode on their official YouTube channel. Is there a way to turn off the annotations?

There should be a button at the bottom of the frame.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Apoplexy posted:

Monster A Go-Go is literally the worst thing I've ever seen, up to and including Mr. Hands, 2girls1cup, 1guy1jar, and Batman vs. Superman.

Have you seen the rifftrax of The Last Slumber Party? That one's my genuine worst ever.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

You could really impress them of you found a working dot matrix printer and tread-lined paper for it.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

The Ape of Naples posted:

I honestly looked for this earlier today but gave up pretty quickly. There was a pic of Kevin holding it up somewhere.

Also, I though Bill did a pretty good job of sounding like Crow.

It would have been fun to do for their fan mail thing at the panel yesterday, unless Joel didn't remember it happening and just thought somebody was a huge jerk.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Ms Boods posted:

And in real life, Dick Contino was best known as an accordian player; he was drafted, but allegedly went AWOL rather quickly on because he missed his mum.

Want some? [slap] [thunk]

ninja edit -- Oh wow, he's still alive, and the MST3K version of his film apparently boosted his image in the music business :unsmith:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dick_Contino

Still has that Dudley Do-Right smile at 85
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u1sRA2Wi0kA

This makes me happy :buddy:

Black Dahlia author James Ellroy has a noir short story featuring his adventures in the 50s that is worth reading.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Ensign_Ricky posted:

Short interview with Felicia on the revival:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M0VB8861cfU

And Jonah, Baron, Hampton, and Joel discuss some of their favorite new jokes:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FT3Wt_TDoLU

Edit: Joel is predicting an Early 2017 release to Netflix.

The best part of these interviews is the annoyed-looking old woman standing dead-center in the background of the first video. Is she that guy's mom/ride home?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Ensign_Ricky posted:

Going back to the shorts, I'd be interested in seeing alternate takes on some of the Rifftrax ones, like the At Your Fingertips series or the Norman series.

(Seriously I have no idea what the hell with the Norman Krasner shorts. I guess we made them in Canada, but I have no idea why. Although I very, very vaguely remember seeing one in either elementary or junior high once.)

They were made in Detroit, Michigan. The director/creator is dead but had a LinkedIn profile when I checked up on him. He listed himself as a producer of educational films. He never escaped Detroit.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Ensign_Ricky posted:

Really? I could've sworn we were responsible for unleashing Norman on the world. :canada:

A good test would be to find someone who recognized that airport.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I know we all ripped on the Game Grumps guys when they performed on the fundraiser live show last year, but I have come around to liking them after watching some of their videos. They're just such jolly, earnest, good-natured idiots that I can't help but like them. They're really charismatic.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

kiimo posted:

I'll check with my friend in production if these are real.

edit: lmao it's a leak and someone's hosed up real bad. Also you should look up Cry Wilderness.

Legit can't tell if this is a joke.

EDIT: isn't there supposed to be a Christmas episode outside of the regular 13?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Julet Esqu posted:

Mike and the bots had made guest appearances on various shows around the time to plug the move to Sci-Fi, but I didn't really know what it was all about, just that it seemed like A Thing. My first Mystery Science was the Home Game, of all things. I'd missed the bumper at the beginning where Mike explained this was just a promo special. You better believe I was confused the next time I tuned in for more of the same and it was a real episode.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uvVu8RVOJJo

I remember when the sci-fi channel did that text-to-screen thing with late-night Prisoner reruns. It got really wacky.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Ensign_Ricky posted:

Not dead the way you know it. He is with us always. Not dead the way you know it. He is with us always.

Even his daughter made a Manos joke in announcing his death. He seemed like a very fun and good man. His Manos commentary track shows his good humor and forgiveness of Hal Warren for being such a huge sack of poo poo.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Burkion posted:

Are they just the host segments? Or full episodes?

The whole drat thing for both.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

BigRed0427 posted:

What are they, the KTMA season?

Two of the KTMA episodes that never made their way into the tape-trading circuit, Revenge of the Mysterons from Mars and Invaders from the Deep--both supermarionation hell-watches.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Bicyclops posted:

Felicia Day has always struck me as a pretty good match for it, honestly, because whatever else you have to say about her, her humor is awkward and genuine, sometimes painfully so. Less so Patton Oswald and the Daily Show writers, but I think they'll get a handle on it.

Honestly I had never heard of her before she got involved in the revival, but she seems to have a very Mike-esque energy about her persona. I was a little surprised to see that she's playing a character that's so different from how she appears everywhere else.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

What's the foil Gizmonics thing included with the card? A sticker?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

That was the certificate we were supposed to have printed ourselves, right?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

He seems like he's about as big of a piece of garbage as his old man.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Clouseau posted:

I hope they get a good moral panic/teen issues movie in the new season.

Cyberbu//y or Cyber Seduction: His Secret Life are too perfect to hope for.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Patton Oswalt was born to have Frank hair.

Who's the guy behind Jonah?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Joel was on Saturday Night Live multiple times. He was a prop comic.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Patton Oswalt's left arm looks all hosed up too, right where Servo starts. Maybe because he and Felicia Day are standing next to each other in the picture they cut apart to make that one?

Also I heard Felicia Day gave birth like three weeks after filming finished. I wonder if they tried to Austin-Powers out her abdomen for anything, as happens sometimes when tv actors are pregnant.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

The original robots have been living with Mike in Wisconsin (?) for 20 years. I'm sure the show will just start on the SOL with no explanation of anything other than how Jonah got there.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Olaf The Stout posted:

Just jumping into the thread, but any idea of the new movies that will be covered? They haven't already covered all the classics yet, right?

The full list was leaked a while ago if you are the sort of monster who wants to ruin Christmas morning.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

SirPhoebos posted:

The one host segment I need a post-mortem for is "Joey the Lemur". It's so terrible that I can't take my eyes away from it. I need to know what they were thinking when they wrote it.

There's an entry in the episode guide about it being poorly conceived, in that they placed it in the episode prior to Joey the Lemur's appearance in the film, and also Joey in the film isn't a lemur. Also his name is Joe.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I just notification of more rewards getting sent. Does anyone know what they are?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Bicyclops posted:

There are cynics who would label that as branding, but I think it's her real and honest feelings on it, because both her and Patton are in a place where this isn't exactly the path of least resistance in terms of advancing their careers. I think they're both MSTies who got to be on a show that they loved, and part of me hopes they break about as much as the original cast did just so we can sometimes see how often the occasionally think "Hell, Mystery Science Theater 3000 is back, and I'm acting on the show!

One thing that really struck me about that telethon they did was how many of the "young" (compared to Joel, like aged 20-30) acts said that they liked the show as kids.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

2DCAT posted:

It doesn't look familiar, but it's the only giant rabbit movie I can find lol... Then again, it's been about 20 years since I saw it...

Food of the Gods (with Marjoe Gortner, who starred in Starcrash with David Hasselhoff, directed by movie-about-giant-things aficionado Bert I Gordon)?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Mallon couldn't find a good way to make money with the show after years of trying. At one point he made a website with flash-animated cartoons where he did Gypsy's voice, as that was the only thing he had access to to make new content.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Dick Contino is also the lead character of a hard-boiled James Elroy novel. There's some accordion in it, if I recall correctly.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

It was on Saturday nights for a long time on Comedy Central and the Sci-fi Channel. Weeknights at midnight was where I found it as a teen.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Was Catalina Caper the only studio film they did? I know Space Travelers was really Marooned, but it got the Sandy Frank treatment. Seeing the Warner logo was quite a shock.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Phase IV is great. Saul Bass' only film. They recently found the full version of the ending montage. It's on youtube.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Exploitation movies have rape in them because that's what their lovely audiences expected, no matter the subject. It's like the singing in Elvis movies.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

The post-premiere Q and A was fun, but fans are still doing that annoying thing where they ask questions about what happens in the new season, questions that will be answered by the act of watching the new season. It's just such a waste of time, and the half of the cast who have worked on nerd things before just instantly registered their frustration when it started, probably because they know from experience what kinds of questions nerds ask.

Felicia Day mentioned some lovely movie she was in where everything was done in a single take, but not the title.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

They seemed to be doing covers of songs from the old show.

Also, Joel mentioned that Rhino (maybe he meant Shout?) was going to be doing Cinematic Titanic releases, including live shows they never released on dvd.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

It wasn't addressed tonight, but there were kickstarter rewards that included dvds, so probably they will be out eventually even though netflix is generally reluctant to do dvds for their shows (Jessica Jones dvds were announced like two years ago and still aren't anywhere near production).

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I can't believe that guy was a Danish comedy sensation. The war must have wrecked them something fierce.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Jose Oquendo posted:

Well it seems I'm in the minority but I'm not really digging this at all. The opening was terrible. The new theme song is awful. The whole fake band thing is dumb. The new voice actors for the robots are terrible and plain. The riffs are bad, both in content and even the timing is off. The host is awful. The new mads are awful.

It's a good thing I didn't back this poo poo and that it's free on Netflix.

They're a real band that has like five albums.

Also, how did you see it if you didn't back the kickstarter?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Suspicious Cook posted:

My brief review is that the show is really back and it was a solid episode. Some of my old favorites are still better, in my opinion, but I wasn't expecting a Space Mutiny or a Devil Fish right out of the gate. The riffs were sharp and I was laughing through the whole thing. Oh, and the monster rap was fantastic and completely in line with classic MST3K.

I have fonder memories of the Mike years over the Joel years since I started watching during the Sci Fi era, but I'm totally on board with the invention exchange and letters returning. I have reservations towards Felicia Day since I really don't think she's a good actress, but I'm hopping Patton Oswalt can pick up the slack. The new bot voices are fine (Servo really picked things up from the early stuff) but I find Servo flying a little distracting. Gypsy dropping in a couple times was cute, though, and I'm glad she can get in on the riffing a little. It's like everything that I might nitpick has something else propping it up. My nostalgia fueled hesitation has been assuaged.

Based on a single episode, I'm giving a big thumbs up and I can't wait to see the rest of this season! :dance:

Nobody on MST3K has ever been a good actor. Hokey and stagey is 100% of the charm.

This is the first time anyone on the show has actually been any kind of actor prior (or after, not counting Darkstar) to being on the show.