Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home
So my wife and her BFF have been planning this trip to Nashville for like a year, and we settled a while ago on doing it Oct. 27-31.

So yeah, I'm going to RTLive: Carnival of Souls in person.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home

CaptainYesterday posted:

There's also the re-releases of the original single DVDs from 2000/1 that Shout! could do. Eegah needs a new home.

By my count, there's four of those: Eegah, I Accuse My Parents, The Hellcats, and The Crawling Hand. Be interesting if they stuck those in a box set together.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

ringu0 posted:

Jack Frost

"This is a test of the emergency broadcast chicken"

Me too! Didn't know what I had found, but I knew I loved it. They had me with "Frodo gets drunk and screws with the neighbors."

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

Republicans posted:

Also "Invasion of the Neptune Men" was near the bottom of the MST3K rankings. What the gently caress?

The back half of it is really rough. Once they get into the interminable WWII stock footage, it reaches Coleman Francis levels of unwatchability.

"Noh Theater" is a great host segment, though.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

PK loving SUBBAN posted:

Something else I learned about Angel's Revenge:

:barf::barf::barf:

Which character was Tri-- oh goddammit. :smith:

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

I don't feel bad about anyone in Pod People dying.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

Where oh werewolf
I've looked everywhere-wolf
Where oh where
Where is my my werewolf

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

The stop motion in Black Scorpion is pretty cool.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

Franchescanado posted:

Watching it now, and there's an amazingly specific joke about The Bubble Room on Captiva Island, FL. :aaaaa:

That is specific. Gonna have to watch for that when I get the ep on DVD.

And anyone else remember the "Pat Buchanan's first day as President" riff on Phantom Planet?

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

BigRed0427 posted:

It wasn't all over the place, but Joel's run has jokes making fun of white people from time to time. The opening to Mr. B Natural comes to mind. Hell, making white rivlage jokes are half the fun of watching old educational shorts.

The whole joke of "A Date With Your Family" is "the '50s-style white nuclear family narrative was a lie."

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

OldTennisCourt posted:

Red Zone Cuba might be the most miserable movie ever made.

I feel like The Skydivers is overall more depressing.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

Egbert Souse posted:

Best part of Poopie! is this:

Between Trace's screaming, Kevin and Mike's continued laughter, and the split second where you can see Mike is genuinely terrified, this is one of the greatest moments in the series.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

Garth Vader.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

Imagine if they do Fletcher Hanks.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

Bicyclops posted:

Yeah, but those ones are all from Grandpa/Grandma Oblivious, a fading demographic which doesn't access Netflix anyway.

There's also the one from some guys in prison.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

Gaz-L posted:

I just watched Kitten With A Whip today and I'd like to submit it as one of the 'totally watchable on it's own' movies. It's certainly an absurd melodrama that plays into the moral panic at these newfangled "teen-agers" at the time, but it's a totally competent and fairly well-acted example of the genre.

Plus you get a Sylvester cartoon out of it.

I agree with Mike & the bots that the movie's biggest sin is having its protagonist be such a dope.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

That... would have been different.

But Gypsy's sweater would have been just fine!

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

Bicyclops posted:

My memory is that he's just one joke, for the entirety of his run, and there's something about the makeup that limits Kevin Murphy's ability to do that one joke justice. I used to laugh a lot at the noise Brain Guy made when he was using his brain powers. I'm interested to see if I still do once I get back to him.

Kevin had a bit in one of the online Episode Guide entries for Season 8 that boiled down to "It is Hell being in the gorilla makeup."

Edit: Oh, God, the Sven & Ole joke is *beautiful*.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

"We're going to have 'the sex!'"

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

He's at the 30, the 20, no one will stop him!

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

Ms Boods posted:

Mr Boods ... had no idea that Travolta did anything prior to Pulp Fiction and Grease

There's like 15 years between those movies.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

Crow had a stroke.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

Bicyclops posted:

Off the top of my head:

-Dark Crow (assuming that's not Timmy - I don't remember his name).
-The time Cambot does an overlay onto the film.
-The time Joel opens an umbrella to cover the film's nudity

In "Girl in Gold Boots," Mike pulls out a pool cue to "play" on a table that's in an otherwise unwatchably tedious scene.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

OldSenileGuy posted:

I can't remember - did the original Mads ever actually refer to their scheme as "Mystery Science Theater 3000"?

Joel did at least once.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

HMS Beagle posted:

A lot of the Season 1 episodes are hard for me to get through, Slime People is probably the worst of those.

Not Robot vs. the Aztec Mummy? Or does your brain just block that one out?

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

egon_beeblebrox posted:

Also, I'm watching Jack Frost for the first time, and this movie kind of owns.

The Russo-Finnish movies are kind of the best ones they did. They're gorgeous to look at and really well-made, it's just localization issues that make them seem goofy. (He's not Sinbad!)

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

livingfruitvirus posted:

When Sci Fi got it they ran it Saturday mornings, Saturday evenings, and Sunday late nights. I think they might've dropped Saturday evenings at one point. Where they premiered the episodes would shuffle. For a while it was Saturday evenings, but I believe in season 10 Sunday late night became the new episode slot.

I remember it being Saturday morning debuts and Saturday evening slots right to the end. Never knew it was on Sunday.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

Or any Wynonna?

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

The Unlife Aquatic posted:

tbh I think Baron was the perfect choice from that video. He has the nebbish intellectual tone of Servo down perfectly.

Yeah, they both have a really good handle on the characters, and played well off of each other. That's like 90% of the job right there.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

Bicyclops posted:

I wonder if Kevin Murphy still has that banner lying around somewhere. Maybe he can give it to Baron Vaughn as a gift, and nine years later, Baron can give it to someone else, until it is the oldest, grimiest computer print-out in the universe.

Oh, Kevin definitely still has it.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

General Dog posted:

Every goon thinks he's a Crow, but is actually a Gypsy.

Well-read-but-not-as-well-as-I-think, overinflated ego, collapses into emotional crisis at the drop of a hat: I am clearly Tom Servo.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

I just watched Beast of Hollow Mountain, and I'm amazed at the audacity of it. If you started watching after the title sequence and stopped maybe twenty minutes before the end, you'd have no idea it was a monster movie at all.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

Everybody do the wounded turkey!

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

Tenzarin posted:

I really wonder if they had to pay to license all the pop songs they sang. Does having a car on the screen warrant fair use of lowrider?

I haven't gotten to that one yet, but if it's just a line or two, it's fair use.

Also, apparently you've forgotten they did stuff like that all the time on the old show. Tom replying "Where you going with that gun in your hand?" when a character says "Hey Joe," Mike singing a few bars of "Isn't She Lovely" when a character is waving his head back and forth kinda like Stevie Wonder, Tom singing "Broken Glass" along with the credits music to "Time Chasers"... I mean, if you didn't like it then either, fine, but it's nothing new.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

Home office. I bet Kevin gets a tax break for that.

Depends on if he uses it solely for Rifftrax/other work or he does personal stuff in it as well.

... I'll go give myself a swirlie now.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

BigRed0427 posted:

Not sure if I should be posting here but is anyone else at tonight's Rifftrax show? I'm a little worried because my theatre is playing a TMBG song but the lyrics are barely audible. I was wondering if this was everywhere or out theatre

I thought that was just my theater, but I guess it was the broadcast.

They fixed it up by the time the show started, though.

Frank and Trace *really* brought the dark to their riffs.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

Bruceski posted:

Man, people in chat are ccalling this version of Hamlet bad. Seems fine to me, though I don't know if that's due to a lack of judgement or because I've seen WAY worse.

It's not very well-staged or -lit, the actors don't have much presence, and the dub is mostly execrable (special points for Ricardo Montalban doing Claudius, though).

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

Watching "The Loves of Hercules," part of my brain kept telling me, "Remember, these are Detective Olivia Benson's parents."

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

So, about that next DVD collection:

MST3K on Facebook posted:

An update from Shout! Factory about MST3K Volume XXXIX and future DVD releases:

- The set will be available Nov. 21, 2017, and available for pre-order on the Shout! Factory website and Amazon later this week. We hope you’ll share this update with your readers.

- It will be a four-disc set, here are the titles:

The Amazing Transparent Man
Girls Town
Diabolik
“Satellite Dishes”

- The 4th disc, called “Satellite Dishes” is a collection of the host segments from episodes from the remaining unreleased episodes. They are:

Ep #201 Rocketship X-M
Ep #212 Godzilla Vs. Megalon
Ep #213 Godzilla Vs. The Sea Monster
Ep #309 The Amazing Colossal Man
Ep #311 It Conquered the World
Ep #416 Fire Maidens from Outer Space
Ep #418 The Eye Creatures
Ep #807 Terror from the Year 5000
Ep #809 I Was A Teenage Werewolf
Ep #905 The Deadly Bees
Ep #906 The Space Children
Ep #913 Quest of the Delta Knights

- Despite our best efforts to include the remaining unreleased episodes, due to licensing issues, it is very likely that Volume 39 will be the last collection of never-before-released episodes, and that these remaining episodes may never get a legitimate release. With this in mind, we decided the next best option was to release the remaining host segments by themselves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

business hammocks posted:

In bummed about Quest of the Delta Knights. How the hell is that worth anything to anyone?

I'd say David Warner is trying to make sure it never sees the light of day again, but he's in the Malcom McDowell class of "will take the work I can get, no shame" thespians.