Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

he thought quoting borges would make him popular

Reince Penis posted:

I've harassed them on Twitter but they won't come to Canada. I'm guessing because of our lack of Alamo drafthouses.

They came to my town (not an Alamo Drafthouse, just a regular 1920s theater updated to a movie/arts venue) specifically because a fan reached out to the theater, not to the Mads, and helped make it happen. So if you at least know of a local venue that could host, contact and bug the hell out of them until they get in touch with the Mads.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

Legin Noslen posted:

My only two gripes for season 11 were that they packed in the riffs like sardines, and the small pause in the beginning of the new theme song.

Mister Kingdom posted:

They also tend to drag out some riffs longer than necessary and some riffs were just yelled out.

Yeah, there could have been some more aggressive editing, both in terms of cutting down the sheer number of jokes (especially the ones that didn't work so well) and making some of them shorter and punchier.

That said, their last live tour was legit great, and the riffs avoided both of those issues. They were easily my two favorite riffs from the new cast/writers. So I'm definitely looking forward to both the new tour and the new season.

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

Proteus Jones posted:

I agree with some of the criticisms regarding timing and density for S11, but I mostly enjoyed it and still watch Cry Wilderness again and again. I honestly think it was "we only have one shot to keep this going" and trying to knock it out of the park over and over combined with the excitement of working on the show.

Plus I can understand wanting to keep all of the writers happy by not interfering too much with their contributions. After all, most of them are hardcore fans suddenly working on their dream project. So I cut them a lot of slack for that. And I don't think Season 11 is bad by any means.

Cry Wilderness genuinely is a great episode on its own merits.

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

I got to do the VIP meet-and-greet with Joel and Jonah during the last tour, and they were both great but Joel in particular went out of his way to make conversation and have everyone feel at ease.

Also, it always seemed like the kids' fan letters meant a lot to him, given the prominence he'd give them at the end of his episodes.

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

The most hyper-obscure Twin Cities references I can recall offhand are "go to bed old man" (from a routine by a comedian colleague of Joel's), and a reference to a building looking like Normandale Community College (in, I think, Prince of Space). I would regularly pass NCC on the way to my grandparents' house in Bloomington, so it was probably on Kevin's regular commute to/from the studios as well.

It really was quite a resemblance IIRC, but you could probably say that of nearly any community college.

Bicyclops posted:

Yeah. :(

If felt like they were finally starting to really get better, it sucks they probably won't have another go at it.

I was really glad they let the jokes breathe more in the second season, and their live tour performance of Eegah! was flat-out as good as any top-tier classic MST3K.

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

Keromaru5 posted:

Frank was once on "Make Me Laugh," and his effort was a sublime moment where he's loudly and obnoxiously singing the name "MICHAEL LANDON" over and over.

I still remember that! Frank's appearances were the only reason to watch that godforsaken show.

The song was called "Michael Landon's Legacy of Love" and features lines like "[something something] it can be said / he made a movieeee, about a kid who wets his bed"

All the comedians on the show stepped up on a rotating basis and had something like 30 or 60 seconds to make the contestant laugh. Frank chose to continue the song each time it was his turn. On his last turn, the song had hit its dramatic climax and he was milking it with extremely long pauses:

"MIIIIICHAEL LAAANDOOON, MIIIIICHAEL LAAAAANDOOOOOOOONNN'S....

LEGACY

of

... love?"

It was extreme dedication to the bit and extremely Frank. I wish the clip existed somewhere.

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

I certainly plan to.

If anyone hasn't seen her vuh-log as "Ruth Larson", I highly recommend it: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCY4MLcVaTZFp8z3h-dLeRUg

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

Zeether posted:

God now I wish someone had recorded that and it's just waiting to be uploaded to the internet archive or some place, it sounds like absolute genius

It was. The show was wall-to-wall painfully bad, hacky standup and Frank wisely decided to go in a completely different direction.

I'm pretty sure I saw him perform it once outside of that context but drat if I can remember where. Cinematic Titanic live-show warmup? Late-night appearance? No idea anymore. All that remains lodged in my memory is that beautiful, heartfelt tribute. But with multiple potential sources it just makes it all the more frustrating that there isn't a clip anywhere that I could find.

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

Professor Ramrod

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

Never has an actor looked at the camera as much as this guy

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

I'm sorry I really didn't want to complain about how limp the riffs are but even I have a breaking point, ARE THEY EVER GOING TO COMMENT ON THE WEIRD FEY DOLLAR-SIGN NECKLACE GUY

edit: okay "spectacles, testicles, testicles, testicles" really made me laugh hard

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

Yeah they said this wasn't the final cut of the episode so there may be a bit of a wait.

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

The stream was definitely having sound issues (Joel was extremely quiet at first) and I heard them bump up the sound significantly at one point. They're working out the kinks and I expect the next stream will go much more smoothly.

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

Ballz posted:

He showed up in the original Rifftrax Live performance of Manos, but has since been cut from what’s available online.

Which is deserved but still sort of a shame because the palpable awkwardness of the whole thing was funny in itself. Mike, standing there with a tight, dead-eyed smile, going "uh-huh... thanks..." and silently counting the seconds until that guy would go away.

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

One thing I will say about nuMST3K is their live shows can still be bangers. I thought the Time Bubble tour was particularly good with a solid choice of movie (that they can never, ever do in the series itself due to the numerous copyright violations), but it kind of validates the point that MST3K is at its best when it feels like getting together with friends to heckle a bad movie, and live shows have that spirit.

Also Jonah and Emily are really talented riffers in their own right. Some time after Season 11 I saw Jonah do a live riff (non-MST3K) with some DC-area comedians and it was fantastic.

Given the amount I shelled out for S13 and my disappointment in the product, I'll probably kick some money if it looks like they're having trouble reaching their goal, but otherwise not too enthusiastic. It just lacks the charm and spark of the original, as Sydney said.

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

Kevin also had experience on-camera, he did a satirical news program called "15 Minutes" -- one episode, at least, survives on the internet (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0efyud7sNfE) and he also did stunts like trying to stage Minneapolis' own version of the Times Square New Years Eve countdown, except instead of a descending ball it was dropping a watermelon off the Foshay Tower.

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

My favorite trivia from Teen-Age Strangler is when the actor who played Mikey revealed that the director was very dedicated to just doing one take for all scenes, then done... Except for the scene with Mikey falling off the bike, which the director insisted on re-taking over, and over, and over again...

usenet celeb 1992 fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Dec 2, 2023

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

In the Amazing Colossal Episode Guide, Paul Chaplin confessed to being the Deadhead, but it doesn't rule out any others (who may not have spoken up out of shame).

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

I loved the series of sketches they did during Incredible Melting Man where Clay and Pearl buy the rights to Earth Versus Soup. So full of bitterness from their experience with the movie, but turning it into something hilarious. The focus group especially.

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

Especially when Oswalt is just playing himself basically. I mean, TV's Frank kinda did too but TV's Frank wasn't Every drat TV and Movie Thing You've Ever Seen Has His Voice In It Frank

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

Narsham posted:

Classic MST3K was a small group of people, many of whom already knew each other from the local stand-up circuit, renting a space and spending their Comedy Central money to make a cow-town puppet show. Riffing was everyone in the same room, mostly, and they did an episode a week for however many episodes their season was.

NuMST3K is a larger group of people. Host segments are filmed in a block. Patton and Felicia had one, maybe two days of filming per season. Some of the performers and staff may never have been in the same place at the same time. And I’m fairly sure that at least some people were actually being paid decent salaries.

It’s the difference between a college theater group that’s doing productions on Youtube and making some money, and a local theater group that hires performers, some of whom are union members, and has to follow rules about things.

Yeah, all other things aside it's really really hard to execute on this sort of concept at this scale, in a way that would attract investor attention and could be a branded "Netflix" show, without a budget outlay that the original show could never have afforded. Part of the "sell" behind NuMST3K was its big-name comedy writers -- who were probably massively influenced by MST3K, jumped at the chance of fulfilling a lifelong dream, but who were already pulling pay rates that would have made the original crew's jaws drop. Like, I'm sure Dan Harmon took a huge pay cut (by his standards) to work on the show but collectively it put another strain on the budget.

And when you raise the stakes like that, you need a bigger payoff, and it just feels like the audience wasn't there for that. To the extent that an MST3K revival is feasible, it's probably much more on the scale of the original model, which like you said, basically amounts to some guys doing low-/no-budget stuff on Youtube in their garage. The original was true lightning in a bottle: a bunch of talented, funny no-names who got together locally and organically created something great. Something's always going to feel off about attempts to artificially reconstruct that in an edges-sanded-off "professional" setting.

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

The Teen-Agers movies are good too imo, and Mary Higgins Clark movies always have something batshit in them, but really, yeah, everything they do is worth a watch just because their rapport is so genuine and their laughter is contagious.

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

Joel loved to reference local Twin Cities comedians, but you didn't need to be familiar with their work to find them funny, since it was Joel saying a funny thing in a goofy voice. "All over the world!" and "go to bed old man" are the two I remember -- and until recently I thought they were obscure comedians, but it turns out according to Frank, the latter quote was from Dana Gould: https://twitter.com/FrankConniff/status/1662609328640073728

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

Diabolik900 posted:

He spent years making legal threats to anyone working on any kind of Manos project, but it was always clearly bullshit. I always thought the Rifftrax thing was not that they believed him, but that they thought it was less of a headache to just placate him.

I'd bet you're right. I still remember that and Mike, especially, was very clearly like "haha, yes, okay great, now get out of here" in the most Midwestern way possible.

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

What? That's not Crow, that's obviously an imp.

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

"...That's different."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

He did the same voice in the infomercial sketch in Jungle Goddess. It's probably a reference to someone but I'm not up enough on my late 80s infomercial personalities to recognize it. Maybe submit a question during the next Mads Are Back stream?

It's definitely a reference to a specific pitchman (who may have been either British or Australian) but couldn't tell you specifically who anymore. I'm pretty sure Bob Odenkirk was imitating the same guy in the Mr. Show "Superpan" sketch.

Oh, there was also Jacko, an Australian guy who achieved minor fame in the 80s for doing irritating ads for Energizer batteries https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AvHtKcS1POk

usenet celeb 1992 fucked around with this message at 14:26 on May 5, 2024