Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
It's weird to hear Gypsy voiced by a woman.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Chokes McGee posted:

If you don't have Every Country Has a Monster stuck in your head after episode 1 then it's you, you're the monster in your country

I was cringing when the song began but it was actually pretty funny.

EDIT: Holy poo poo Jerry Seinfeld cameo

Vincent Van Goatse fucked around with this message at 07:47 on Apr 15, 2017

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
I feel like everything falls flat when they're forcefully cramming jokes into every available silence. The action sequences in Reptilicus and the beginning of Cry Wilderness are particularly bad in this respect. They need to slow down a bit and actually let the jokes hit.

Two episodes in and I'm finding more to like than dislike, though. I feel like Reptilicus was the stronger of the first two episodes and "Bulimicus!" gave me the biggest laugh so far. Sometimes it's the little things.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Hey, Digger Smolkin is in Wizards of the Lost Kingdom 2

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Ensign_Ricky posted:

I was convinced that was Richard Kiel, because it kept making Eegah sounds.

Shtemlo.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

Hopefully a twelfth season will let them work out their riff pacing issues. It got better after the first couple episodes, but they really need to give the riffs room to breathe.

Also, I was fine with the new Tom Servo voice, but it feels weird having an actual woman voice Gypsy.

Gypsy was voiced by a woman in a one-off host segment during the KTMA season, the joke being that her sinuses finally cleared up so real her voice was all Marilyn Monroe (Joel had wanted to give her a smoky Kim Carnes voice but messed it up).

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Franchescanado posted:

Her acting is bad and her hair is worse.

Mia Farrow was the scariest part of that film. She was so pallid and stringy-haired and skeletal-looking I thought she was supposed to be playing a cancer patient or a woman dying of Ali McGraw Syndrome at first.

I mean, Mia Farrow never had lingerie model curves but even so she looked really, really unwell in Avalanche to the point I thought she might have been anorexic.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
It was that data-mining comment that sold me on her character.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Goddamnit why must every thread mention those fat unfunny losers.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Mantis42 posted:

I guess there was an overlap with Mike and Trace + Frank, but Season 8 is still my favorite.

Honestly I feel like Seasons 6-8 were the peak of the show in terms of riffing quality.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

like a cigarette should posted:

MAMAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA KNOCKED ME DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOWN.................................................................................................

AGAIN

That's my all-time favorite host segment.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
It's not even "nightmare fuel" it's "nightmare-filled".

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

adamcantsleep posted:

I expected the camera to pull back to reveal disinterested Italian crewmen a la Bava's Black Sabbath. How did they leave that in?

I have a bootleg release of Danger Death Ray and apparently the version MST3K got was a bad edit, because my version doesn't have the hand in it, just the watch sinking into the pool.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
God the live show was great. Joel acknowledged my existence during the Q&A at the start, so my life has been validated.

Just like the RiffTrax Samurai Cop live show they cut out the scene of Eegah's assaulting Roxy, which bothers me as a lovely movie completionist but I totally understand because there were a lot of young kids at the show and even what they left in was pretty uncomfortable.

Vincent Van Goatse fucked around with this message at 07:32 on Jul 22, 2017

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Tonight's live show was amazing. Joel also said they're basically waiting to hear from Netflix before they start work on Season 12.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
What does any of that have to do with MST3K you terminal nerds.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Argoman makes the Pumaman look like a model of restraint and dignity.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

bad posts ahead!!! posted:

Anyone who likes Pumaman should watch the Supersonic Man Rifftrax, it's so good, and it's on Prime.

Agreed. It's some good poo poo.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Maxwell Lord posted:

He did a Random Roles for the AV Club recently and even mentioned that it was on MST. Seemed quite amused by that.

They went pretty easy on him in the riffs unlike some of the other times a slumming actor took a role in an MST3K movie for a paycheck.

"In it for the money, folks."

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
My VHS copy of Reptilicus and some other cool poo poo arrived today!

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Despite being inspired by Hamilton, the monster song came out good.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Time for the Paper Chase Guy.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
SEASON 12 BABY HELLS YES

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Girl in Lover's Lane is an episode I just can't watch all the way through because of how it ends.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

RandomPauI posted:

I feel like Tommy Weisu channeled season 11 Hercules for his performance in The Room.

I felt so bad for Mickey Hargitay being forced to say lines like "I've come here for immediate clarification of the charges against me!" Orson Welles couldn't do justice to that nonsense and it's not fair to make an ESL muscleman try.

Guy got hosed over. They didn't even him a beard when he's playing Hercules!

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Junkie Disease posted:

His costar wife got him the role on a movie that was a paid vacation for a film no one cared about. I think he didn't regret it.

That doesn't excuse denying him a beard when he's playing Hercules.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
More gray asses!

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Lifeforce is so enjoyably crazy. If there wasn't so much nudity it'd be perfect MST material.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
I think my favorite episode is The Loves of Hercules because I'm a sucker for those sorts of stupid "epic" movies.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Doc Morbid posted:

I don't remember if I've ever actually seen the Sampo/Day The Earth Froze episode, but from a :finland: perspective it's always fun to see people try to make sense of the crazy bullshit that is our national epic. Ask me about the Sampo (and don't expect any decent answers, because I haven't read Kalevala since high school).

What the gently caress even is a Sampo in the first place? Best I can tell is it's some sort of magical snack machine/horn of plenty that only this one bearded guy can build and he can only build it once.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Unmature posted:

MST3K Jim Mallon?

No, Jim Mallon the electrician from Swakopmund, Namibia.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
I don't know, you had him last! :v:

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
In retrospect, Mellow Dumbass Sam Casey was a way better human being than like 90% of the other MST3K movie heroes.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
What's funny is I watched the original pilot for the series Riding with Death was welded together from, and there's no mention of a Harvard law degree. He's just an affable dumbass special agent with a pilot's license and scuba training.

In the same vein, it's a pity they never hacked two episodes of Search together because it's basically the same show except with Doug McClure instead of Ben Murphy and it would be perfect for MST3K.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Mister Kingdom posted:

Or they could have done the two-hour pilot Probe.

Someone's gotta suggest that to them for Season 13. It's so cheesy and has a big ol' slice of Burgess Meredith playing a cranky mission control type.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Artsygrrl posted:

:supaburn: Where'd it go??

WE'RE GONNA DIE!

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
If you like Donald Pleasance, you should watch the movie Raw Meat.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
I have no strong feelings about whether Joel or Mike is "better" but I find myself watching Mike episodes more for some reason.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
I think they should actively troll people who want a Star Trekian level of continuity from a movie-mocking puppet show but that might be too mean-spirited for Joel and the others.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
My ideal anniversary show would've involved all three sets of riffers in the theater together with little to no explanation whatsoever.