Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CommaToes
Dec 15, 2006

Ecce Buffo
One of the hardest I've ever laughed at this show was in an episode of a movie from the 50's where the lead character was in a band and I kept wanting them to mock his pants, because they were way too high.

And they just left it. They didn't mention it at all.

Until the host segment where Joel just sang "Hike your pants up, to the sky" over and over in a rockabilly style.

I don't know why, but the absence of a joke for a long period of time just makes the payoff better.

ninja edit: found it! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hgzBc-8g4u0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommaToes
Dec 15, 2006

Ecce Buffo

Powered Descent posted:

Cartoon All-Stars to the Rescue. It was actually something of a major event in Saturday morning cartoons, with all the networks playing it simultaneously, so just about everyone around their mid-30s or so is sure to have fuzzy memories of it.

My local video rental store had that on VHS. It was the only video on the entire store that you could rent for free.

CommaToes
Dec 15, 2006

Ecce Buffo
I've been watching MST3K with friends recently to build hype for the return of the show, and we've used this thread for suggestions, so thanks for that.

One concern is the sketches - one of my friends absolutely hates them.

I personally find some of Joel's sketches and songs to be the funniest bits of episodes, but I agree that Mike's sketches are rather weak. Is there a good episode where the sketches are all great? Maybe I can convince him that they do add more to the episodes.

CommaToes
Dec 15, 2006

Ecce Buffo
The first episode I remember really getting into it was The Killer Shrews.

That was a great ep.

CommaToes
Dec 15, 2006

Ecce Buffo

GreenNight posted:

Yeah Joel of all people is upping the edge. You people worry too much.

I'm sure he'll give Jonah his umbrella.

I love that censorship he did.

CommaToes
Dec 15, 2006

Ecce Buffo

Zesty Crab Legs posted:

Watching Daddy-O. This is a slog. :(

Imagine it as the Fast and the Furious 1950's and it is better.

Also I watched the press conference and it was great. I like Tom Servo and Crow. Although if you read the rolling chat at the bottom of the video one guy keeps saying "I HATE THE NEW VOICES" "THEY ARE KILLING MST3K" every now and then. It's kinda funny actually.

CommaToes
Dec 15, 2006

Ecce Buffo
I do enjoy how Kinga has a different motivation for the experiments than Dr. Forrester or Pearl. Dr. Forrester seemed to be doing it for mad science reasons, Pearl was just sadistic but Kinga seems to think there is a way to monetize it.

CommaToes
Dec 15, 2006

Ecce Buffo

twistedmentat posted:

Yea that's what I guessed. As MST3K never aired in Canada, never saw those.

Starcrash is a movie I saw as a kid. it was probably on some saturday or sunday afternoon and I'd watch anything if it was sci-fi or fantasy. Until this I thought it and Ice Pirates were the same movie.

It aired in Manitoba all the time. At like midnight on weekends, albeit split between friday and saturday nights for one ep.

CommaToes
Dec 15, 2006

Ecce Buffo
Is it odd that I'm looking forward to the two Gypsy riffs per episode? It's a nice bookend.

One thing I appreciate about the faux commercial breaks and the skits is that it gives you a nice metric of how far you are in the episode. It's good because sometimes you can't count on the film's pacing to clue you in on it.

CommaToes
Dec 15, 2006

Ecce Buffo

Gaz-L posted:

Is it Reptillicus or the Beast Of Hollow Mountain that has the riff about losing a contact lens because the creature shots are out of focus?

It was Beast of Hollow Mountain. Gypsy's line at the end of that movie was my fave riff in this new series.

CommaToes
Dec 15, 2006

Ecce Buffo
"Hike your pants up to the sky " made me laugh so much because they never mentioned it in the theatre. I was waiting and waiting and then the payoff.

CommaToes
Dec 15, 2006

Ecce Buffo
Carnival Magic and the Christmas movie were both uncomfortable to watch. They were great episodes, but super uncomfortable movies.

CommaToes
Dec 15, 2006

Ecce Buffo
Yeah Baron's servo is great. I think he's Suave Servo, while Kevin is Fabulous Servo.

CommaToes
Dec 15, 2006

Ecce Buffo
I liked this season and it's ok to not like it. When people think fondly on older episodes, they generally have a few favourites and maybe a dozen or so other episodes they think of as a whole. Out of 200.

I didn't really notice "pop songs" being overused. In fact I can't even think of one from this season, but I'm sure there were some if it bugs that guy that much.

I'd love another season of this as is. They're only going to get better as time goes on and it was pretty good already.

CommaToes
Dec 15, 2006

Ecce Buffo

Bicyclops posted:

I've said it before, but it feels to me like an alien whose only experience of Earth was through broadcasts of schmaltzy Christmas specials decided to try penning one, and then pod person-ed his way into an Italian guy to write and act in the movie. It has all the right notes, but the instrument is horribly, horribly out of tune.

?

CommaToes
Dec 15, 2006

Ecce Buffo

VolticSurge posted:

So, as someone who hasn't seen Season 11 yet, I'm tempted to pre-order it. On the one hand, all of my co-workers (at least the ones who have Netflix) have said it's a good fun laugh. But on the other hand, this video implies Season 11 is the worst season. Any tips from Goons who have seen Season 11?

I know a few people saw the first episode of season 11 and were really disappointed. Someone said on Twitter that they wasted the new host segments because they could have been "Jonah moving into the SOL and getting to know the bots" but it starts a few months after moving in and it focused on the movie instead of the slice of life on the ship. They went on to say that they didn't even finish the first episode and said that MST3K is dead. I'm pretty sure that the creator of that video is friends with these people, and I'm not sure he's even seen season 11 in its entirety.

I, however, loved it. Yes, Reptilicus is a bit of a culture shock to people expecting Rifftrax, due to the volume of and frequency of jokes, but it does settle in as it goes on.

CommaToes
Dec 15, 2006

Ecce Buffo
I saw some people's reaction to season 11 as so negative that they didn't finish the first episode. They had to take a walk in the park and cry.

They said they could have had a whole segment with Jonah moving in and showing the bots getting used to him, and showing the day to day operations of the Satellite of Love, but they focused on the movie instead.

It was a bizarre take.

CommaToes
Dec 15, 2006

Ecce Buffo
I watched the beast of hollow mountain again last night. Gypsy's last line killed me once more.

CommaToes
Dec 15, 2006

Ecce Buffo

turn left hillary!! noo posted:

My only problem with Jonah is not really with him per se, but the fact I have a hard time differentiating his voice from Baron's such that I am not always sure who's talking.

Yeah, that's the main problem I have with this new cast. I do like them though.

I think I may be a rarity but I think Jonah is just as good as Mike. Joel will forever be my fave though.

CommaToes
Dec 15, 2006

Ecce Buffo
I think the host segment that made me laugh the most was "Hike your pants up" from Daddy-O because I was waiting for the joke for so long and they didn't make it until the segment.

CommaToes
Dec 15, 2006

Ecce Buffo

Compendium posted:

What the gently caress is Mac and Me

Like seriously? That movie is ridiculous.

CommaToes
Dec 15, 2006

Ecce Buffo
Atlantic Rim was so jump cutty that I think it's the first movie since the reboot where the riffs couldn't keep up with the movie in terms of frequency.

Given the fact that Mac and Me was a better ripoff of a much better movie, I don't think they should do another bad on purpose movie unless there's some sincerity beyond one actor. Those movies don't need to be mocked because they're already almost mugging at the camera with a wink telling you that this is funny.

CommaToes
Dec 15, 2006

Ecce Buffo
I find it funny that the "bad on purpose" movie had a "bad on purpose" song in it.

I don't find it funny that "get in your mech" has been stuck in my head all day.

CommaToes
Dec 15, 2006

Ecce Buffo
Below the dam is a good song.

CommaToes
Dec 15, 2006

Ecce Buffo
Operation Double 007 is one of my faves due to it completely ripping off a franchise I love although it's bad.

CommaToes
Dec 15, 2006

Ecce Buffo
I love tom servo's new voice.

CommaToes
Dec 15, 2006

Ecce Buffo
Yeah, it does start very fast with the riffs, but it slows down eventually. I think they were very excited to be doing this again and it shows that all of the writers wanted to get their stuff in right away.

It does get a lot more comfortable.

CommaToes
Dec 15, 2006

Ecce Buffo
I hope it gets picked up by Disney, so they can be in the next Kingdom Hearts game.

In the foreground, making fun of it.

CommaToes
Dec 15, 2006

Ecce Buffo
Man, Avalanche was so good. I hope they do another 70's disaster movie this time.

CommaToes
Dec 15, 2006

Ecce Buffo

Ballz posted:

And Emily’s makeup and lighting is HORRIBLE. She shines like a glazed Turkey Day ham.

Like… didn’t they shoot the bumpers while shooting the new season? Is this what the host segments in season 13 will look like? :stare:

Eh, it's not the worst thing in the world. But yeah it's not ideal.

I'll allow it for a pandemic produced season.

CommaToes
Dec 15, 2006

Ecce Buffo
Seeing these teasers I'm optimistic.

These movies look great so far.

I'm sure people where down on Mac and Me when that was announced too.

CommaToes
Dec 15, 2006

Ecce Buffo
This is where the money went!

CommaToes
Dec 15, 2006

Ecce Buffo
Furious typing!

CommaToes
Dec 15, 2006

Ecce Buffo
So we are watching some robots watch a Mexican wrestler watch a Dracula movie.

CommaToes
Dec 15, 2006

Ecce Buffo
Is this Matt Claude Van Dam?

CommaToes
Dec 15, 2006

Ecce Buffo
The Jonah segments were passable but the Kinga/Max stuff was rough.

CommaToes
Dec 15, 2006

Ecce Buffo
Crow is a bit hard to get used to but I will. No one is saying how good servo is, though. I think he's great.

Emily must be the dorky host.

CommaToes
Dec 15, 2006

Ecce Buffo

Morter posted:

Wait a second. Did the movie riff on the crappiness of the cut we just saw?

Seems like it.

CommaToes
Dec 15, 2006

Ecce Buffo

Big Mouth Billy Basshole posted:

I don't know if I'm just tired but this movie is a bit of a slog. The riffs and Emily are both solid though.

This movie is just not good. The running joke about how those two actors are identical is funny, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommaToes
Dec 15, 2006

Ecce Buffo
Funnily enough, the three voices in the theatre for Emily's crew are easier to distinguish than Jonah's.