Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Magic Hate Ball posted:

It's way funnier when they're not allowed to curse, because it focuses the comic energy on finding new ways to make cracks about the movie that are more relevant than them just despairing over how bad it is.

Pretty much -- obviously he's persona non grata now, but there's a reason Bill Cosby's stand-up was popular for decades after he recorded it: He actually wrote jokes, instead of just going for vulgarity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

bunnyofdoom posted:

Any idea what movies are on the docket yet?

I imagine they're still working that out (legal clearances and the like), considering they're still adding writers and cast members and they haven't given even a vague sense of a release date (and the Netflix pickup might have given them an increased budget, too).

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

CaptainYesterday posted:

Well, considering they've written all the riffs for the 14 experiments

Do we know that?

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

hhhat posted:

The other guys are happily doing Rifftrax, but I think they'll be cameo-ing on the new show.

Mary Jo Pehl, Kevin Murphy and Bill Corbett will be reprising their roles of Pearl Forrester, Professor Bobo and Brain Guy, but both Mike Nelson and Trace Beaulieu declined offers to return.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Weinstein also declined to appear on the revival.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

kiimo posted:

What was the first MST3K episode you watched? Or I guess hooked you?

First thing I saw was the movie, first full episode was The Brain That Wouldn't Die, and I was hooked from there.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

caligulamprey posted:

It's pretty much guaranteed they're gonna spill the beans on the release date of the new season during the Turkey Day marathon, right?

As the distributor, Netflix has the final say as to when the episodes will release, and given that Joel and the gang are still actively working on post-production (or even possibly production), I doubt they're at the point that they could give more than a vague release timeframe beyond the already-said "sometime early 2017," which basically means Q1/Q2.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

BigRed0427 posted:

Edit: So what are the hopes for the new season in terms of what the movies are. I'm hoping we don't get anything that's been talked about to death like the Room and Birdemic and nothing from Asylum.

The entire list leaked a while ago, verified as accurate by kiimo (who works in the industry).

Reptilicus
Cry Wilderness
Time Travelers
Avalanche
The Beast of Hollow Mountain
Starcrash
The Land That Time Forgot
Hercules
Yongary
Wizards 1
Wizards 2
Carnival Magic
The Christmas That Almost Wasn’t
At the Earth’s Core

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Jack Gladney posted:

He seems like he's about as big of a piece of garbage as his old man.

Go read BenSolo's thread in CineD about getting Manos restored. Warren caused huge hassles for him along the way.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

What the hell was leaked?

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Big Mean Jerk posted:

So does the presence of Reptilicus confirm the rest of that IMDB list?

kiimo, who works in production, said he checked, the leak was real and heads were rolling because it wasn't supposed to get out.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

BigRed0427 posted:

So I heard the backers got their copies of the season. How are they?

I don't know, read the last two pages?

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Gavok posted:

I laughed my rear end off at the final two minutes without even needing the riffs because what the hell did I even watch?

That was basically my reaction to the RiffTrax of R.O.T.O.R., which is one of the most bugnuts stupid things I've ever seen. The ending is hilarious.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I doubt the star rating is that important when deciding on renewals anyway. The relevant metric is most likely number of views.

Yep, plenty of trash gets renewed because of eyeballs. Adam Sandler's The Ridiculous 6, for example, was panned by everyone under the sun, but it still holds the record for the most views within a 30-day span of any movie in Netflix's history. The number-two spot belongs to The Do-Over, and Sandy Wexler will likely knock it off its perch. So even though the movies are unbelievably terrible, Netflix still extended Sandler's deal to cover eight movies. If people watch something, they'll fork out the money for it.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Bicyclops posted:

It's sort of impossible to tell. Netflix may also be at the point where they have a few prestige shows that aren't seeing as many views as their other shows but are seeing glowing reviews from critics that they want to keep around.

This is basically the exact reason House of Cards is still being made despite it getting steadily more expensive every year.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

parallelodad posted:

What the gently caress even is Sandy Wexler? The trailer thing that plays when you start the app looked like a completely vanilla movie about a young girl making it in the music industry, and also Adam Sandler is there for some reason.

It's Adam Sandler's latest excuse to goof off on a movie set with his friends for a few months.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

parallelodad posted:

Yeah but what is it? It seemed like a light black family drama/comedy, which is not what he would usually produce or star in.

quote:

Sandy Wexler (Adam Sandler) is a talent manager working in Los Angeles in the 1990s, diligently, albeit erratically, representing a group of eccentric clients on the fringes of show business. His skills as a manager are challenged when he discovers a legitimately talented singer, Courtney Clarke (Jennifer Hudson). The Wexler character is a satirical homage to Sandler's real-life manager, Sandy Wernick.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Jet Jaguar posted:

The monster rap from Reptilicus was one of the first things they filmed

This doesn't surprise me in the slightest because Jonah's so incredibly awkward through most of it. (Although it still pops into my head randomly when I'm riding the bus.)

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

My only knock on the revival outside of the rapid-fire riffs (which does seem to get better) is that Jonah and Baron's timbres are almost identical, so in the theater it's near-impossible to tell who's saying what.

Otherwise, even though I was always more Mike than Joel, and this is far closer to Joel, I absolutely love it.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Uh?

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

PostNouveau posted:

I'm starting to think they want to have all the movie rights hammered out before they announce. It would explain the long delay.

It's also likely a matter of finding a sweet spot for the budget, because now they're at Netflix's mercy: They don't have $6 million in crowdfunding money to offset costs this time around.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

ringu0 posted:

They don't have a signing session before or after the live show, do they?

Only in the VIP packages which are a few hundred bucks per ticket.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Powered Descent posted:

That's how they get you.

Yeah, but first they get you and then they pull so much content that you go, "Wait, what the gently caress?" But you've gotten used to the convenience so you don't bother canceling.

Seriously, maybe four years ago their streaming library had 13,000 titles and change on it. Today, that number is under 4,000.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Proteus Jones posted:

I think that may be a larger thing with FOX. A *ton* of FOX shows disappeared recently, and they haven't popped up elsewhere. Either FOX is fishing to lock in an exclusive agreement, priced themselves out of renewal with Netflix, or combo of both.

It's not just Fox. Viacom pulled just about all of its programming from all streaming services back in February / March, and CBS is moving things over to its All Access service as contracts expire.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Ballz posted:

More Fox stuff has been coming to Hulu. Just noticed the other day every season of Bob's Burgers is now on Hulu, after it got pulled from Netflix.

Yeah, Fox announced a big deal with Hulu earlier this week.

quote:

Hulu and 20th Century Fox Television Distribution signed a new expanded agreement to add about 3,000 TV episodes to Hulu.

The deal includes streaming rights for How I Met Your Mother, Burn Notice, Bones and Glee, and makes Hulu the go-to service for all seasons of M*A*S*H and NYPD Blue.

In the coming weeks, Hulu will add episodes from other 20th Century Fox series including Raising Hope, The Bernie Mac Show, Better Off Ted, Reba, Life in Pieces, The Mary Tyler Moore Show, St. Elsewhere, Hill Street Blues, The Bob Newhart Show, Don’t Trust the B—in Apartment 23, Dollhouse, Wilfred and The Glades.

The agreement comes on the heels of a deal for Hulu to add 20th Century Fox’s animated shows including Bob’s Burgers, American Dad!, Futurama and The Cleveland Show.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

McSpanky posted:

Warner played two different roles back to back in consecutive Star Trek movies, he seems down for anything.

Warner's never been particularly shy about the fact that he'll do just about any role if there's a paycheck involved.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Gaz-L posted:

That would actually make a ton of sense. Netflix could even throw up a new batch of classic eps on Thanksgiving as well.

Wouldn't they have to license them from Shout? Netflix is spending less and less on content it doesn't produce or own.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

EatinCake posted:

I wonder how much of a season 12 would hinge on finding 12 more movies they can afford to license. Maybe that takes time too :s

Again, they also don't have the however many millions of dollars in crowdfunding that they had from the Kickstarter. For a season 12, they have whatever Netflix is willing to pay, and the amount Netflix is willing to pay is directly proportional to the answer to the question, "How many subscriptions will this generate?"

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

The Rifftrax of R.O.T.O.R. is truly something special.

Edit: So is Cool as Ice.

Timby fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Jan 4, 2018

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Maxwell Lord posted:

I guess it's you put RFID tags on your stuff so you can find it if you lose it, which is not the worst idea, but yeah thanks to Pluto.tv I never want to see that ad ever again

That's exactly what it is, and it's really handy, but it's also a huge scheme: The whole company is built on the subscription model that Silicon Valley loves, so not only do the batteries (which are bog-standard CR2032 watch batteries) need replacing after roughly a year (they start to fail after about 11 months), but the batteries are soldered onto the circuit board and the whole tile itself is, like, gorilla-glued shut, so good luck replacing them yourself without breaking the drat thing.

But don't worry, you can subscribe to the ReTile membership program, where they'll automatically send you a new tile or tiles to replace your old ones, for a generous 5 or 10 percent discount!

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

precision posted:

Yeah it's great, he was a wild dude. Not as wild as Ed Wood, but in a kind of punk rock filmmaker kind of way.

He launched James Cameron's career, so we can thank him for that.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

muscles like this! posted:

Didn't they play up a relationship to Star Wars that was tenuous at best?

The producers of Battlestar Galactica did a smash-and-grab job on the staff of ILM, which is what pissed off Lucas.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Keromaru5 posted:

For my money, Pearl, Bobo, and Brain Guy didn't come into their own until they got to Castle Forrester. For one, it meant they'd dropped the network-mandated storylines. That in turn mean they had more flexibility, closer to Dr. F and Frank, where one minute they're inventing the Recomfy Bike, and another they're sitting on the couch, eating ice cream, and watching "Vicki."

(I have a soft spot for moments when the bots or Mads start acting like Midwestern housewives.)

Yeah, this is me. Early Season 10 stuff didn't land that great for me, even though my sperm donor and I would watch it with a frozen pizza after getting home from a race night. Then again, I was, like, 13.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Big Mean Jerk posted:

:same:

The Return was a pretty decent hit for Netflix, right? As in there shouldn’t be pressure from above to do a smaller season?

It performed pretty well, but remember, for Season 12, they're entirely dependent upon whatever budget Netflix deigned to give them; they don't have $5.7 million of Kickstarter money to play with this time around.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Reince Penis posted:

I'm going to guess either it's a Transformers or a Fast and Furious.

They aren't doing a major franchise movie. There's no way they forked out the money to Paramount or Universal to do a Fast & Furious or Transformers movie.

Birdemic 2 isn't a bad guess, and my money is on one of the Sharknados. Otherwise it's almost certainly an Asylum joint.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

DorianGravy posted:

(There will be another season, right?)

Uh, look at the thread title.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Son of Sam-I-Am posted:

Is it just me used to him now, or does Baron's Servo sound just a little more like Kevin's this time around?

Yep, Vaughn absolutely uses a different timbre, and it's a good thing, because in Season 11, there were times I literally couldn't tell if it was him or Jonah talking.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Fun interview with Jonah about the new season from my local paper.

Some highlights:

quote:

I know you’ve been working with Joel Hodgson for a couple of years now, but does it still feel strange to work and riff alongside him?

It’s so fun. It’s so funny where you’re like, "This guy’s my hero and I’ve looked up to him for so long." But it’s still a working relationship where we’ll be riffing side by side and in my head I’ll be thinking, “Hit your mark! Do your line!” And I’m sure he’s doing the same thing to me. It’s funny how fast that happens, and I think that only really comes from a mutual appreciation.

Compare where you are in your head now, just before Season 12 is released, to just before Season 11 came out.

Man. I’m a lot more relaxed and more excited. I was so scared (before Season 11). Even seeing now some of the next season and seeing my performance, compared to last season, I don’t think I realized it at the time that I was scared the whole time. I was worried and I was trying my best.

And it’s not like I was some novice. I had been writing and performing comedy for a decade before this show. But I really, truly felt the weight of what it would mean if I wasn’t good at it.

But now that it came out and seeing people really embrace me as part of the show, having seen a few of the episodes completed, looking at my performance, I’m clearly more comfortable. Everyone is way more comfortable in their parts. Everyone’s having more fun with each other. We rebuilt the machine in Season 11, and now we can enjoy the machine.

Did doing the live tour in between, and getting that immediate response from fans, help?

That was really huge. Writing the shows for the live tour last year really helped me learn what the audience responds to. There are certain jokes that are funny, but there are not good live jokes. There’s a rhythm there that you kind of learn from a live audience, and that really taught us a lot.

I actually gasped when I saw you were doing “Mac and Me.” That’s one of the pinnacles of cheesy cinema.

Yeah, when I heard we were doing “Mac and Me,” I was like, "Is this too big of a movie for us to do?" It’s a movie that people have seen and know the jokes about it. I always describe “Mac and Me” as the most capitalistic movie ever made. It feels like Mr. Burns putting on civilian clothes and going to Moe’s Tavern and trying to fit in. I was psyched to do it.

The one movie I really wanted to do that I kept pushing for was “Maximum Overdrive,” Stephen King’s one attempt at directing his own material. But they weren’t able to figure it out. It’s also a very violent movie, a hard “R” in a lot of ways.

The fact that it’s coming out on Thanksgiving is good, because it gives families a solid eight hours to do something besides talk to each other.

Exactly. If there’s anything that ‘Mystery Science Theater” can do this holiday season, it’s drive families into silence.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Peacoffee posted:

So by six episodes does that mean they only got half as many episodes as the return season? I don’t know why I didn’t notice before

They also didn't have the mountain of cash from the Kickstarter they did for Season 11. They did a pledge drive, but it didn't start until after Season 12 had already wrapped. So they were reliant on Netflix money entirely this time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Cemetry Gator posted:

And I love both approaches. Joel always has a style that reminds me of the Muppet Show. I don't know how to best describe it.

Jim Henson once said that if each episode of The Muppet Show were a basketball game, the final score would always be Frog 99, Chaos 98.

That seems to sum up Mike's run more than Joel's.