Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Ms Boods posted:

Is this going to be available only in the US? No idea how US Netflix works (if at all) in the UK -- will be gutting if there's no way to see the new series in the UK (and I'm not into dodgy streaming and that...)

According to the Hollywood Reporter article about the deal, it'll be on Netflix in the U.S., Canada, Australia, New Zealand, the U.K.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

CaptainYesterday posted:

Well, considering they've written all the riffs for the 14 experiments, I think they'll probably be released by the end of the year.

I'm pretty sure Joel said in one of the backer updates that he doesn't like the idea of releasing the movie titles beforehand, that he'd prefer it to be a surprise week to week.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

egon_beeblebrox posted:

What's the oldest movie they riffed?

I think it was I Accuse My Parents.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

egon_beeblebrox posted:

Parts: The Clonus Horror is almost good to me. A rewrite and a non-TV-movie budget would have helped. It's better than its rip-off, The Island.

Agreed. This is one I sort of like.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

I'm pretty sure Joel said at some point that they wanted to release them one at a time, but that was before the Netflix deal was actually made and there have been about a million Kickstarter updates so I'll never be able to find it (if he even really said it).

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Double Agent posted:

That Abbie though. She's some gal. :allears:

Is she in heaven?

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

https://www.facebook.com/mysterysciencetheater3000/photos/a.211958952184840.52826.166365283410874/1098723893508337/?type=1&theater

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Duckbag posted:

I'm a little suspicious of that list because it doesn't seem to have anything from the last 30 years

This is what makes me a bit suspicious about the list. Somewhere (and unfortunately I don't remember where), Joel said that the movies on average are more recent than previous seasons, which would make me think there are at least a few from the 90s or later.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Jack Gladney posted:

EDIT: isn't there supposed to be a Christmas episode outside of the regular 13?

Yes. There are 14 titles leaked, one of which is a Christmas movie.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

BigRed0427 posted:

Really? I always heard it was a Godzilla film.

That was volume 10. That was not a good stretch for Rhino's legal team.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

bunnyofdoom posted:

despite what is said otherwise, I find the movie is a great way to ease people into mst3k

I definitely agree. Despite the fact that I'd love to see the uncut version, the studio meddling probably did make it a bit more accessible for new viewers. Not that there was any chance of new viewers actually seeing it with the release it was given, but that's a whole different story.

As for my own MST origins, I was vaguely familiar with its premise just from seeing it all the time while channel surfing. Then at some point in 1996, my brother actually started watching it, and I followed suit. The only specific thing I remember seeing from this time were the host segments from The Incredible Melting Man. We loved it, but within weeks it disappeared since (unbeknownst to us) Comedy Central had canceled it. Over the next couple months we started buying the Rhino VHS releases, so watching The Brain that Wouldn't Die, Mitchell, Pod People, and Cave Dwellers over and over and over again is how I really fell in love with the show. Thankfully, our cable company added the Sci-Fi Channel a few months into season eight.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

TL posted:

I can confirm this account (I'm Diabolik900's brother), but for my part, the first episode I really watched was either the Day the Earth Froze or the Human Duplicators.

Yeah, now that you mention it, I do remember watching The Day the Earth Froze on Comedy Central, so that might have been my first.

Bicyclops posted:

It's cool that you guys have matching avatars. :shobon:

I bought him that avatar.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

If it's like previous years, it'll also be streaming on YouTube.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

caligulamprey posted:

It's pretty much guaranteed they're gonna spill the beans on the release date of the new season during the Turkey Day marathon, right?

I doubt it since they specifically said in their update a couple days ago that they don't have a date yet.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

8one6 posted:

Did the sound de-sync for anyone else?

With Manos, how would you ever know?

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Gaz-L posted:

Is anyone on the new cast/crew a decent singer?

https://youtu.be/wJp9rSbAx1Q

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Gavok posted:

I've been putting together a big master list of all the MST3K episodes and where they're legally/officially available. Just wondering if there's any place I'm missing:

- DVD
- MST3K YouTube channel
- Hulu
- Amazon streaming
- RiffTrax
- Shout Factory

http://mst3k.vhx.tv - I only know this one because it's the distribution channel they're using for the Kickstarter reward downloads, but you can also buy episodes here even if you didn't back the Kickstarter.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

all-Rush mixtape posted:

Joel hinted at it in a Kickstarter update, but it was for reaching a donation goal, I think.

In the update about it today, he says that they thought they'd tracked down the master tapes during the Kickstarter (hence the hints), but then it turned out they hadn't and he'd gotten a little ahead of himself.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Jack Gladney posted:

The whole drat thing for both.

They didn't leave anything out.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Republicans posted:

Also "Invasion of the Neptune Men" was near the bottom of the MST3K rankings. What the gently caress?

Don't forget, there were almost 200 episodes. It was towards the bottom of the top 100.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Davros1 posted:

Never noticed it before, but when watching one of Joel's eps, in the opening credits, when it cuts to Joel and the Bots in the theater, the shot is actually reversed (The Gizmonics on Joel's jumpsuit is backwards).

This reminds me of something I just noticed a few days ago. In the season one opening, there's a shot where you can see both Jim and Josh's heads as they work the puppets. I think it was during the "to make his robot friends" line.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Same. Is that what the new shipping notifications are for, or is this for the rest of the stuff?

I need to know what that mystery gift is :negative:

According to: http://mst3k.com/kickstarter/faq/rewards/#schedule these are the rewards that should be shipping right around now:

MEMBERSHIP CARD & CERTIFICATE
OFFICIAL T-SHIRTS
OFFICIAL HOODIES
POSTCARD SET

No mystery gift until after the show premiers unfortunately.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Evil Mastermind posted:

I was supposed to be getting a mug, too, but I guess that's shipping separately?

For whatever reason, the mugs aren't coming until after the season premieres: http://mst3k.com/kickstarter/faq/rewards/#schedule

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

They're already using the new logo all over the show's social media accounts. I'm sure they have their reasons though. It could just be a logistical issue of some kind.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

BigRed0427 posted:

Wait, i think I have it. Is it the one where a psychiatrist does hypno therapy on a woman and reveals in a past life she was burnt as a witch, everyone is talking like they are at a Ren Faire. And the Psychiatrist inceptions her and gets stuck in the past with Satan...somehow? Black and White and Has the line "There, Sure glad I Don't look stupid in this" In regards to a helmet.

I don't remember the title though.

I don't know if it's the one Ballz is looking for, but you're describing The Undead, which is a pretty batshit crazy movie even by MST3K standards.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Gozinbulx posted:

Speaking of kickstarter, I didn't actually do the kickstarter but my wife bought me some of the postcards on the off-site extras thing (remember that? I forgot what they called it) and we have yet to receive them or even i think get an email about when we can maybe expect them. Anyone know anything about that?

Here's the schedule for when different rewards are supposed to be going out: http://mst3k.com/kickstarter/faq/rewards/#schedule

Postcards are part of the December/January shipment, so you should get them before too long. It seems like their fulfillment is a little slow though. People started reporting that they got shipment notifications around Christmas, whereas I just got mine this past weekend, and some people (like your wife, obviously) are still waiting.

Also, the Add-On Rewards you mentioned are still actually available if anyone's still interested in ordering. I just preordered the blu-ray set about a week ago. https://mst3k.backerkit.com/hosted_preorders

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

I think they said somewhere that there are no shorts this season.

I hope that we get shorts in future seasons, but they might decide that they don't need them now that they're on Netflix and they don't necessarily need to reach a certain runtime every episode.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Franchescanado posted:

There wouldn't be a reason for guest writers like Dan Harmon if all they were doing were writing jokes or self-contained sketches.

The reason to bring in writers like Dan Harmon are:

1- He can write funny stuff
2- He likes the show and wants to have some kind of involvement (which is honestly probably minimal)
3 (probably the biggest reason)- It got them more attention during the Kickstarter

I doubt the show will have plots to any greater extent than it did during the Comedy Central years.

EDIT: Don't forget, the big name writers that were announced as writers during the Kickstarter were specifically referred to as "guest" writers.

Diabolik900 fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Jan 12, 2017

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Kickstarter backers, check your email.

Diabolik900 fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Jan 27, 2017

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Powered Descent posted:

So much for Joel's "but please don't post this publicly on the internet"...

I intentionally didn't include the links, but now I legit feel bad for mentioning it at all. My only excuse is that in my excitement, I actually missed the part where he said that. Going to edit my original post.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

kiimo posted:

Did I miss someone posting a date for the next season?

No. There are screenings of the first episode coming up soon coming up for some Kickstarter backers. The closest thing we have to a general release date is "no earlier than the end of March, but possibly later." Joel said in an update recently that they expect to have all the episodes finished on February 14 though, so after that it's in Netflix's hands.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

TL posted:

1101 is EXCELLENT!

Can confirm.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

I don't think we can answer that.

We can give our opinions on what we saw, but can't talk about specific details of what was in the episode without breaking both the NDA and Joel's heart.

Diabolik900 fucked around with this message at 12:49 on Feb 15, 2017

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

ringu0 posted:

Are they keeping the old team of bots? I thought they were designing something entirely new. Blink two times for yes if you can't answer.

Just based on information that's already been released, I can say that the old bots are sticking around, but there is at least one additional new bot that's been designed. That new bot was never meant to replace the old ones though, and I don't think it's ever been confirmed whether it even made it into the series or not.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Franchescanado posted:

That bot looks like a new version of Cambot, though. Didn't Joel say he wants to get Cambot more involved somehow?

It's not the new Cambot, it's definitely a separate character. Joel actually talked about both Cambot and this new guy in the backers-only update that Powered Descent linked to. None of the information that's been provided on the new bot makes it seem like it's a major character though. I don't think it's even been mentioned since the show was in pretty early pre-production.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

The Ape of Naples posted:

Is Gypsy back and do we know who plays her?
Within the realm of what's ok to say.

The new MST3k has better control of leaks than the Trump administration.

No comment.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

I'm gonna be frustratingly vague because I'm not actually interested in breaking the NDA, but I think that one of this dude's harshest criticisms is extremely unfair, because it's based on about 15 seconds of the 90 minute episode.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

I didn't expect this: http://www.darkhorse.com/Blog/2469/not-too-distant-future-dark-horse-reveals-partners

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Ms Boods posted:

:ohdear: that is, if UK Netflix is carrying it...

It is. Netflix is confirmed to be carrying the new season in what they consider "the English-speaking territories", which are specifically the US, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, the UK and Ireland. I don't think there's any official word on availability for non-backers elsewhere though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Despite having already seen the first episode (:smug:), I never noticed until just now that Jonah has the mission patches on his sleeve.