Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Nemo2342 posted:

Well I got the shipping charge email and oof, that's a spicy price. Kind of wish I had the option to decline some (but not all) of the rewards because I know that snowglobe is a big part of what's jacking up the price.

Kinda makes me wonder what kind of rates they got with their first distributor if this is at a discounted rate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Mokinokaro posted:

I still haven't received a shipping notice for mine.

Same. I paid as soon as the email came in, but haven’t gotten a shipping notice yet. They addressed this in a new update today. Basically they’re fulfillment partner found a couple more ways to be terrible:

quote:

The warehouse unexpectedly took about 12 days to start fulfilling orders after the shipping payment emails went out. We have also discovered that they are NOT shipping them in the order that payments were received, as we had been told would happen. This means many of you who paid for shipping immediately still haven’t received a shipping confirmation, and others who paid later may already be receiving your packages.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Over on the official MST3K board they’ve tried to figure out if there’s any pattern to who has gotten their stuff, and they haven’t figured anything out. It seems completely random.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Not exactly an edit, but they did talk over the explanation of what a sampo is and then complain the entire time that it wasn’t explained.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Joel reportedly said a couple months ago that there would probably be another Kickstarter after the strikes are resolved.

https://www.mst3kinfo.com/?p=33816

I don’t love the idea of having to do a Kickstarter every season, because I feel like they’re bound to run into diminishing returns, but hopefully they won’t need as much since they’re not starting from scratch.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Dawgstar posted:

Doesn't RiffTrax make sure to give royalties to the other folks who worked on those MST episodes? And it's a shame we have to laud behavior which should just be, you know, common.

Yes, they made a point of this when they started selling them. Supposedly at some point after Joel and Shout bought the show (like around the time of the first Kickstarter) they started paying out royalties for non-Rifftrax sales as well though.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Larryb posted:

The host segments were always scripted even back during the KTMA days right?

Yes, but I believe it was basically “write them in the morning so we can shoot them after lunch.” Not a lot of time spent on making them good.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

I Am Fowl posted:

So I was rewatching Master Ninja today and I wanted to look something up (to see if the old movie clip in the back half is a reference--it was. The actor really was in that old movie he mentioned, the Dancing Pirate). Anyway, I noticed that the whole "The Master TV series had been chopped up and re-edited like that, not just the first four episodes. Just imagine if MST3K goes back to that well and we get The Master Ninja 3: The Return of the Ninja Master.

I don’t know the original source of this, so take it with a grain of salt, but I’ve heard that they were originally going to do Master Ninja 3 as the last episode of season six, but since it was Frank’s last episode they chose to do Samson instead, because he loved that genre.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Their explanation for the goals being so much higher make sense (everything costs more and they want to actually pay everyone more) but $7.4 million sure is a lofty goal. If they have to do this every season I can’t help but think they’ll stop hitting their goals eventually.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Larryb posted:

I didn’t join the Gizmoplex until long after S13 finished but how long did it take for those episodes to become available to non backers?

Aside from a three month period where the Gizmoplex was considered to be in beta, and was only available to backers, I think anyone could pay for access while the season was ongoing.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Clouseau posted:

Wasn't one of the other initial plans for the Gizmoplex to have the 1-10 episodes available ad-free for only a limited time, and then eventually slap ads on them?

They committed to them being free for (I think) a year, but never stated any definitive plans for after that. The idea of ads was floated as a possibility, but nothing was ever stated as a real plan.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Larryb posted:

Speaking of, why is it that the Gizmoplex has less episodes from the original run than are available on DVD (except for Season 1 which is available in its entirety)? Rights issues?

Its entirely rights issues. Licensing the movies for DVD release does not give them the rights to stream them. They need to license them specifically for streaming. Plus those licenses are usually only good for a limited time and the DVDs were released a handful at a time over the course of a couple decades.

For the new seasons they made sure to get all those rights upfront and in perpetuity, so they shouldn’t have those issues going forward.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Sydney Bottocks posted:

Yeah, but on the flipside both Frank and Trace were very unhappy with both not being asked to do anything on the new season, and also with how the characters of Frank and Forrester apparently now had kids (when part of the whole thing about them was they were these two miserable losers, who lurked in the basement of Gizmonic and took their frustrations out on Joel and the Bots). Frank did say he approved of the casting of Patton Oswalt to play his "son", but otherwise he was very vocal about his displeasure on Twitter. And obviously none of them have made any appearances in subsequent NuMST seasons. Which is actually something I commend Joel for, in that he is trying to make the new version of the show its' own thing without relying constantly on appearances by previous cast members and other nods to the past; but I also suspect that's part of why there seems to be more than a bit of lingering resentment at times on the part of some of the other guys.

Not necessarily saying any of this is wrong, but there is definitely something more to it that we just don’t know. The coffee table book they made with season eleven includes both script pages and concept art showing Forrester and Frank back as the main Mads, not even just cameos. That clearly was the idea at some point in the process, but something changed.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Sydney Bottocks posted:

It's been a few years but I feel like Frank was very specifically mad about not being asked to return in any capacity (cameo, contributing to a script, etc.), so I wouldn't necessarily look at concept art or drafts of a script as proof that they were going to actually appear at some point. And I think if Joel had asked them and then changed his mind, or gave them a lowball offer that wouldn't be worth their time, or some such, it would have come out at some point. Frank's definitely not shy about letting people know when he's pissed off and why.

Joel et al. may well have changed their minds about including them as the main Mads before it got to the point of even talking to Trace and Frank. I don’t know. My main point is just that there’s a lot we just don’t know about the situation.

I do find it hard to believe that they weren’t offered to take part at all, considering A) Joel explicitly said during the first Kickstarter that everyone would be invited back to help write and make cameos as their mad scientist characters, and B) all the other Mads did exactly that over the three revival seasons. But I would totally believe that they would not like the specifics of how or what they were offered, and I wouldn’t blame them for it.

Bill Corbett talked at one point on his podcast (which unfortunately I don’t think is even available online anymore) about his participation in season 11, and he was honest about how he was a bit bothered by the fact that he wasn’t asked to have a bigger role, despite the fact that he probably would’ve turned it down anyway, and was happy to take part in the way that it was offered.

People’s feelings and interpersonal relationships are messy and complicated, and we know almost none of the specifics of what did or didn’t happen between Trace & Frank and Joel. It sucks that they can’t all just get along and work together, but they all probably have their own justifiable reasons. And I would guess that Trace and Frank have probably been asked some version of that question nearly every time they’ve interacted with fans for the last eight years, which certainly doesn’t help the situation.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

The daily totals coming in are decent for the slow middle portion of the campaign, but the big first couple day’s haul was not nearly as big as the first two campaigns. I doubt they’ll hit the full 7 million, but I think they have a decent chance at getting the minimum $4.8 million for six episodes if a few things go well. Livestreams, which they said they’ll start doing this coming week, tended to provide a boost last time, so hopefully that’ll help. Plus, if the SAG strike is resolved soon, which is looking decently possible, they’ll be able to start announcing what cast members are coming back, and more importantly the cast will be able to start promoting the campaign.

This is much more of a nailbiter than previous campaigns, and success is far from guaranteed, but I’m cautiously optimistic that they’ll at least be able to pull off the minimum goal.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

I do think crowdfunding fatigue is a major factor, and part of that I think is that they didn’t do a good enough job of managing expectations last time around. Some number of people seemed to get the impression that the Gizmoplex would fund future seasons, and are now taken aback by them asking for money again. Even though the crew never said the Gizmoplex would be self-sustaining, they probably should have been more clear that that it probably wouldn’t.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Larryb posted:

Speaking of, what is the theater “set” like off camera out of curiosity? Did they actually construct a small movie theater room complete with big screen or is it something more simplistic than that?

Waaay more simplistic. You can get a look at all the sets and realize what little space they were working with at 7:10 in this video: https://youtu.be/bWTmSFcxSu0?si=1D0FJksYsRXjH0Gd

The new seasons don’t even have fake seats. They’re added in completely in post.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Bicyclops posted:

Yeah, the strike definitely hurts their fundraising campaign. I really don't see why they didn't wait just a couple of months, but maybe they have been waiting for the situation to get a bit better and just couldn't wait any longer.

Part of it is clearly that they want the last couple days of the campaign to coincide with Turkey Day, but I don’t think that’s enough reason on its own. I suspect that there are business reasons that they can’t wait too much longer. Gizmonic Arts probably isn’t bringing in a lot of revenue now that season 13’s been over for nearly a year.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

I don’t think they ever adlibbed anything after the KTMA days.

The only exception might be Josh as Servo in season one. The rumor for years was that he left the show because he didn’t like the scripted riffs when they went to the Comedy Channel. In more recent years he’s explained his reasons for leaving and it had nothing to do with that, so I have no idea if there’s any truth to the idea that he liked adlibbing riffs or if it’s complete bullshit.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Sydney Bottocks posted:

Corbett wasn't an outside guy, IIRC he'd joined the writing staff sometime around season six or seven, before the move to The Sci-Fi Channel.

He was one of a handful of extra temporary writers brought in to help out on season six while they were busy on the movie. He was hired as a permanent part of the writing staff for season eight, then got the Crow job just before they started shooting.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Here, you want Paul Chaplin Crow? You can have your Paul Chaplin Crow.

https://youtu.be/bfAQORlhEQg

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Yes, there will be a huge surge at the end, there always is, but it probably won’t be enough. At this point they would basically have to match the last eight days of the previous campaign to just meet the minimum goal. Given how much it’s lagged behind up to this point, that seems highly unlikely.

I really hope they can regroup and find another way to get it done afterwards. It’s a shame though that even if they come up with a way to make the show more cheaply, they won’t be able to collect the $2-3 million that’s likely to be pledged here.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

I’m not saying the show can’t be made more cheaply (I’m sure that’s ultimately what is going to happen), but they’re asking for about half a million per 90 minute episode. That is already minuscule by modern TV standards. I can see it with the Netflix seasons, but the idea that season 13 was too big budget and Hollywood just does not compute for me.

I AM GRANDO posted:

Why couldn’t they have just waited another year? I guess now that they have the gizmoplex they have to keep up a constant presence.

I mean, it’s already been nearly a year since the last season ended. There are a lot of reasons to question the timing of this, but even if it was fully funded the new episodes probably wouldn’t come out until at least next summer. I think another year would’ve been way too long.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Still a long way to go. They’re just under 50% of the new goal. But it does seem to have caused a major surge in donations already. It’s still a longshot, but it looks a little better than it did an hour ago.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Murdstone posted:

I don't think they're gonna make this one without a streamer stepping in and picking them up. Is that what happened with Netflix?

Netflix picked them up after the original Kickstarter was finished, but it was explicitly part of the plan that time to sell the season to a network or streaming service after raising the money.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

I hope it’s as simple as he’s saying, but given the way he was memory-holed, I have trouble buying that that’s actually the whole story.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

They haven’t taken anyone’s money yet. If they don’t meet the goal, there’s nothing to refund.

Edit: beaten by edit to previous post

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Raskolnikov38 posted:

so do you think they try an actual fundraiser again a few months or is this the end, again

I think they do eventually. There was a lot wrong with how they did this one and they’re probably going to still get at least $3 million pledged. Hopefully they’re able to regroup and come back with a run campaign in six months or so that can actually succeed.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

WhiteHowler posted:

Seems like they extended the pledge drive a day? But they're still not really close. They should pack it up and try again in a few months with better outreach/promotion/talent involvement/platform.

Still seeing the same end date/time as always here, but yeah, it’s not looking good.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

drrockso20 posted:

Just found out that Rifftrax made a game(it's on sale on the Xbox store at the moment) wonder if it's any good?

I haven’t actually played it yet, but the developers previously made a non-Rifftrax branded game that followed the same premise and it was a blast. Great party game.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Bicyclops posted:

It has a ton of good riffs and most of the interference, as bad as it probably was for the cast, was letting the jokes breathe a little more, which works when the movie is as regularly watchable as This Island Earth.

"You know what my kids would say?"
"You're not my real father!"

Even the sketches are quotable. Crow's "Well believe me, Mike, I calculated the odds of this succeeding versus the odds that I was doing something incredibly stupid, and... I went ahead anyway." is one of their best IMO

Yeah, I know the process wasn’t pleasant for the cast and crew, but my only issue with the end result is how much they had to cut it down. The fact that it’s shorter than a regular episode of the show is wild.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

LividLiquid posted:

Is that it? Is the show done for good? Not seeing much on Google aside from Joel having "hopes" that something could still happen.

The myriad problems with how this campaign was run have been talked to death already, so I encourage you to go back a little over a month in this thread if you want to read any discussion of that. But I will re-share for you the portion of the final campaign update where Joel addressed the future:

Joel posted:

Second, and more important, please know that we’re incredibly grateful for all of your input, feedback, concerns and questions, and are thinking about all the suggestions you have made over the past month.

One silver lining is that the continued support for this campaign, and the show, may have opened up some new conversations about potential partnerships and fundraising that could be key in getting the show another season.

We’ll spend some time now exploring those, and working to integrate all of the feedback and suggestions we’ve heard from you, and will follow up again next year, Lord willing and the creek don’t rise, when we’ve had a chance to regroup and have more to share downstream.

So it sounds like they’re aware of what went wrong, and have some opportunities to explore for doing a season that’s not entirely crowdfunded. It’s probably going to be a while before we ever hear anything more solid though.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

I wonder how that works exactly. Surely you can't copyright "three guys are trapped somewhere making fun of bad movies, there are occasional live action segments but mostly just them riffing on the movie" -- or can you? Is it actually actionable, or was it just "not worth the hassle of going through the process"?

I’m not a lawyer, but I don’t think The Film Crew is similar enough to MST3K to be legally actionable, but if I recall correctly, that wasn’t exactly the issue. It wasn’t that he threatened to sue Mike, Kevin, and Bill, it was that he raised a stink with Rhino for agreeing to distribute TFC when they were also the license holder for MST3K videos. It wasn’t so much “you guys (Mike, Kevin, and Bill) are doing something illegal” as it was “you guys (Rhino) are my business partner and you’re doing something that will hurt the value of my business”.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Larryb posted:

Come to think of it, were there any other times they referenced a movie/short before they actually watched it on the show (besides the above the only other time I can recall was in Mike’s first episode where they mentioned The Beast of Yucca Flats as I alluded to a few posts ago)?

They referenced Mac and Me at least once in the original series, I believe during Pod People. And I don’t remember the episode, but I know there was at least one reference to Marooned before they watched (a version of) it.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

muscles like this! posted:

I believe the only thing they've said is they're going to regroup and try again. Hopefully with better optics.

It was also suggested that they had some potential partnership or sponsorship prospects come to them during the fundraiser that may help fund them when they try again.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Her Dryer posted:

So they've got 13 hours to get from Torrance to Long Beach?

I don’t know Southern California geography at all, so it was only a couple years ago that I looked it up and realized this joke means the exact opposite of what I’d always thought it meant.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

muscles like this! posted:

When they did the live version of Manos the Rifftrax guys ended up getting scammed by a guy who claimed he actually had the rights to Manos but all he required of them was to plug his "sequel" and he got to show up in Torgo costume to deliver them a pizza. They eventually figured out he was a con man and the stuff with him got edited out of the recordings.

He spent years making legal threats to anyone working on any kind of Manos project, but it was always clearly bullshit. I always thought the Rifftrax thing was not that they believed him, but that they thought it was less of a headache to just placate him.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

zoux posted:

I guess the closest thing would be the old midnight movie programs like with Elvira, but those hosts wouldn't really riff the movies.

Yeah, I believe the original idea was basically “what if the horror movie host actually watched the movie with you” which is why there’s so few riffs in the first few KTMA episodes. It grew into what it became pretty organically.

Someone (maybe Joel) said at one point that even they didn’t fully figure out what the show should be until they cut together a montage of the best KTMA bits to try and sell the it to other networks.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

I just think they made too many mistakes in that campaign to actually be sure what to attribute the failure to. A better-timed and better-run campaign could work out, or could fail just the same. There’s no way to really know until/unless they try again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Bicyclops posted:

I think they did their own puppeteering in that era and that Bill has actually said he was shaky at first and had to learn it on the job, more or less.

If I remember right, he got the job on a Friday, took the puppet home for the weekend to practice, and started shooting on Monday. I believe he described it as looking like Crow had a stroke at the beginning, but he definitely got the hang of it.