Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
It's way funnier when they're not allowed to curse, because it focuses the comic energy on finding new ways to make cracks about the movie that are more relevant than them just despairing over how bad it is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

BooDoug187 posted:

Could go the rifftrax method of doing really loud and long bleeps, making a simple cuss seem more graphic.

That's not the point.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
Touch of Satan is one good tight edit away from being a passable B movie, I really appreciate the visuals in Jack Frost, and Danger Diabolik is a pretty okay Bond ripoff.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
MY OILY RAGS!

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

Turtlicious posted:

How do you guys compare joel to mike, like what's the appeal to each era?

Joel is a softdad, Mike is your friend's edgy brother. I like Mike's episodes more, the riffs are punchier and sharper. There's more dopey humor with Joel.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
I DETEST STAIRS

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
"Awww, she's having an aneurysm, it's charming!"

I really like the skull people, they remind me of the Mystic Knights of the Oingo Boingo. The bigger-scale Moon 13 is fun, too, it feels very Forbidden Zone.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
A few episodes in and wondering if they shot these chronologically because already Avalanche feels way more natural than Reptilicus, which had a kind of overbearing franticness to the riffing. I do wish they'd slow down a little, sometimes Jonah spits out a riff so fast I can barely understand what he's saying.

The grunting orange tree in Time Travellers had me crying.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

Chokes McGee posted:

I mentioned this earlier but Jonah can do rapid fire without losing enunciation. It's just his style for riffing.

It makes it sound like he's desperate to get the joke out, which kinda kills the humor.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

Chokes McGee posted:

To each their own v:shobon:v

I just like it when it feels like they're naturally reacting to the movie, rather than doing synchronized quipping. There are a lot more "joke" riffs in this season so far, as well, where there's a big set up and then a punchline, which I wish they'd stop doing because it feels rehearsed and usually gets rushed to cram into a dialogue gap. It also feels like there's not as much interaction between them that isn't in direct service of a riff or punchline so it feels a little sterile in some places.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
I'll miss the jokes about the bad picture quality, though ("woah, hit a wormhole!"). What was the one where there were so many jump cuts that the characters' speech was clipped? One of the bots does a riff on someone talking through jump cuts ("is-er-bit-chut") that makes me laugh every time.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

Bicyclops posted:

Also, I guess as "Homemade from duct tape and plastic toys" feeling as it is, the bubbles linking together different takes is pretty unprofessional, and I guess I have to admit it is a product of using (relatively) celebrity actors who have schedules to work around. I don't feel like some kind of LA sensibility has taken over the show and ruined the Cowtown feeling (another common complaint), but I do hope that Netflix lets them know that they're renewed sooner rather than later, so that the cast and crew can actually commit and maybe not film the whole thing in two weeks.

Yeah, the chopped up/rushed production schedule takes away the feeling of in-the-room "we've got five bucks and my uncle's warehouse" camaraderie.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
Avalanche is so great, Mia Farrow being flung from the ambulance is one of the funniest bad stunts that's been on the show.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
"Glinda the good witch is multiplying at an alarming rate!"

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
I love Mike's slowly increasing discomfort when Tom lets loose.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
The only flying bit that's made me laugh so far was the drones covering the nipples and butt in Avalanche, but I've never been a big fan of the silhouette interactions.

Also, this has probably been linked before but in this article about the making-of of the new series they talk about pre-recording all the riffs and editing them together:

quote:

The way it was explained to me, following the initial writing sessions for each movie, Ray, Vaughn, and Yount had a blistering week-long period in a sound studio in which they recorded just the audio of the riffs.

No wonder they sound so panicky.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
I hope they do THE LIFT

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fjkCyhQagA0

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
"Oh good, she found a book club!"

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

mangler103 posted:

In Italian filmmaking of that era, sound was almost never recorded on set. And in some cases, actors just read their lines in whatever language they speak, and everything is dubbed in later. Helps with international markets and such.

There's a great scene in Truffaut's Day For Night where the director calls action and the actress says a bunch of gibberish numbers, because Federico Fellini wouldn't write the dialogue until after they'd shot the film.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
"I told you you shouldn't watch Dancer in the Dark!"

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
bat guano!

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
Pearl chasing Mike gave us one of my favorite scenes from almost any tv show:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t39LUntlEX0&t=127s

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
"The Chilean miners are saved!"

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
This carnival movie is a loving nightmare

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
I'm on to Carnival Magic now, but Avalanche, Starcrash, and Wizards of the Lost Kingdom II are absolutely the highlights and could easily fit into one of the early Mike seasons.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
The chimp gives me the loving creeps.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
There's an episode where Mike leaves the theater and Crow says "But there's no oxygen out there", and Mike says "I don't care".

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
I forgot how funny the American dubbing in Neptune Men is.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

Bicyclops posted:

Yeah, I get why they hated working on it, but This Island Earth is absurd enough to be an MST3K movie but watchable, the host segments are all fun ("I calculated the odds of this succeeding versus the odds I was doing something incredibly stupid... and I went ahead anyway!"), and the riffs are just incredible. The one that gets me the most these days is them making crunching sounds as Joe walks through the Interociter parts, but "It's a Goldstar!" "No, sir, that's paper," "Joe, I'm one of these boxes, find meeee!" "Heil Hitlerrrrrrrr!" So many good riffs.

"Wow, the mountain is filled with pudding!"

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
Not quite screen interaction, but I liked the one where Mike does shadow puppets from the back of the theater, and then they're invaded by a giant Mega-Servo.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
The drones cracked me up. "Woah! Woah, watch out-"

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

8one6 posted:

Also, am I the only one who thinks the SoL set looks like someone who was told to recreate the old set but was only given three days to work on it?

Yes and I think they literally did. The new set looks less cluttered and handcrafted, and I don't think we ever move out of the basic central hexagon, so there's no umbilicus door, no iris screen (wynona!), etc, which makes it feel more like a flat backdrop. I don't think we ever move out of a basic wide shot, either, but I might be wrong.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

Compendium posted:

Brain Guy and other brain dudes were great especially since they gave us this segment:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1bV4-w2H5qE

We also got the hilarious bit where he has his brain taken away from him, and when he tries to do a brain power thing we hear the brain power noise, but it's slowed way down.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
I'd love to see them do more crappy thriller-dramas like Racket Girls or The Skydivers.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
This Santa episode is giving me cramps.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
Watching Final Justice for the first in a long time and christ this skit is funny:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wuZAvEAZs-o

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
Mike vs Joel is definitely a taste thing but I definitely preferred Mike's role on the SOL, and I like that his character gets dunked on by the bots. The shifts of power between him and the bots (and the Forresters) really make the later seasons stand out. Them driving Pearl insane with Mike's repeated falling down to get her to never show them another Joe Don Baker movie with bad editing is a great example, as is the bit in the same episode where he pathetically thinks he gets to escape now, because Joel got to after another bad Joe Don Baker movie.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

howe_sam posted:

For reasons I cannot possibly fathom, The Starfighters has always held a special place in my heart. Maybe I just really like mid-air refueling or Bob Dornan?

Starfighters and Skydivers are two of my favorite episodes, there's just so much dumb, boring, sweaty nonsense happening that produces amazing riffing.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
??? starcrash is an amazing movie what are you talking about

TVs Ian posted:

I feel like it probably wasn't shown in theaters. It was basically an ad for the plane dressed up like a movie.

In the episode guide from years ago, they also mentioned trying to figure out who it was intended for, and figured maybe it was shown as like, on-base entertainment or something. That seems to be about the most likely explanation.

I love how often the cinematography features people's heads against a blue sky during conversations. It's borderline pop art.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
Santa getting evicted and having to be saved by the only lawyer who still believes in him is kind of a cute plot, it would've made a good early Tim Burton movie.