Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Gaz-L posted:

...I am not going to cry over a sappy YouTube music video about the show with the puppets making yakety yak over bad films with a man.... I... I'm not crying... YOU'RE CRYING! DON'T LOOK AT ME! :cry:

Why is it raining in here?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Rollersnake posted:

It was kind of amusing that over the course of the whole episode there were maybe two or three jokes that drew attention to the obvious regarding Jayne Mansfield. That must have taken an extraordinary amount of willpower.

Her huge acting talent?

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

bongwizzard posted:

I am trying to like the new season and while the movie bits are decent so far, the skits are so painfully bad. Like, where people really clamouring for musical numbers? They are so awful.

Did we listen to the same kaiju rap?

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Aw man. I just started Lost Kingdom II and now I want a punt bunny.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Eegah gets mentioned a lot, I can't recall if it's in a good way or bad. I Accuse my Parents is classic morality film one, similar vein to a lot of the shorts but as a full movie. Sidehackers is... um... needs to be seen to be believed.

E: the ones on Netflix are a "greatest most infamous hits" collection, so if you don't like one feel free to skip around. They weren't arranged in any particular order.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Jet Jaguar posted:

Went to see the Mads riffing tonight. They dealt with a ton of technical difficulties, but they were introduced by the actress who played Debbie in Manos, who evidently lives near Portland. She told a couple of fun stories, I guess she has a book about the experience.

I think everybody lives near Portland, but nobody expects it. That sort of comment seems to come up a lot.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Rollersnake posted:

Carnival Magic: This is a more stupefyingly bad film than Cry Wilderness. It might actually be worse than Manos. I can only rationalize it as a film by carnies, for carnies, that was never meant to be seen by the outside world. Was the main romance actually intended to be between an adult man and an underage girl, or is that just what it looked like? Did they really have to give the talking chimp a hoarse, gravelly smoker's voice? I need a shower.

I have to admit, after watching through to the car chase I just gave up on the movie and watched the interludes (and by God I'm glad I did, that episode's special guest is magical).

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

I'm M. Waverly

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

VolticSurge posted:

So,as someone who doesn't have Netflix , is this show any good? A friend of mine has been singing its praises for a while now, and I was considering getting Netflix on my PC so I could watch it, among other shows I've been interested in (Daredevil, Luke Cage, Lucha Undergound).

Watch https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L3W6Xfh0gck and see if it sells ya.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

That was about my reaction too. The movie and the riffs were good (I mean, "good" for the movie) but that skit in the first episode was when I *knew* the show was back.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

They're doing Eegah in Portland but not the mystery movie. We'll see how quickly things sell out, it's a nice concert hall.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Magic Hate Ball posted:

I'd love to see a parody of Cinematic Titanic where there's like two hundred people jostling and yelling

Done that. My college's unifying experience was studying the Iliad as the first thing in Freshman Humanities, and we all took over a theater for the midnight showing of Troy. It was a circus, I feel bad for the 10 or so normal folks who were there.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Senior Woodchuck posted:

I just watched Beast of Hollow Mountain, and I'm amazed at the audacity of it. If you started watching after the title sequence and stopped maybe twenty minutes before the end, you'd have no idea it was a monster movie at all.

I watch a lot of westerns (a local station likes to show em at a time when I like background noise) and it would be a perfectly functional one too, albeit not great. It's that ens sequence that catapults it into MST territory.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Bicyclops posted:

"Now you're mister cabinet!"

I don't know why, but the delivery of that one just completely knocked me on my rear end laughing. I guess I'm old enough for dad jokes now.

Bruceski fucked around with this message at 10:07 on Jun 16, 2017

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

On the marathon early this morning I caught one of the KTMA episodes. Crow has such a strong Minnesotan accent I expected him to offer some hot dish.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Man, people in chat are ccalling this version of Hamlet bad. Seems fine to me, though I don't know if that's due to a lack of judgement or because I've seen WAY worse.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

flosofl posted:

I'd have to say the worst Hamlet I've seen is the Shatner version performed in Esperanto, but the one on the Twitch Stream is pretty drat bad.

My baseline for bad performance starts at "reading the lines like they're dead words written on a page, pausing at the line breaks regardless of conversational flow." If folks don't do that I consider it watchable.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

EatinCake posted:

I wonder how much of a season 12 would hinge on finding 12 more movies they can afford to license. Maybe that takes time too :s

I suspect this is the thing holding it up, if anything IS holding it up and they're not just waiting for a big reveal. On top of finding the right movies, and finding movies that the rights-holders are willing to release for (albeit loving) mockery, we've seen from the DVDs that figuring out who HAS the rights to some of those things can be a real mess.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Burkion posted:

Meanwhile Tommy from the Rugrats looks like an abomination

And his Funko Pop isn't very pretty either.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Reince Penis posted:

My dad's family grew up around the corner, and my uncle was a long haired muscle car mechanic a block away. Small world!

Are long haired muscle cars that common?

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Hogama posted:

He gets startled by Puma (Yo-Yo Ma?) screeching while he's trying to loot a ring off a corpse for his frat initiation, turns to flee, gets his coat caught on the corpse's hand, and then basically has a fatal freakout. Heart attack or something, probably.
AKA "the plot to that great Twilight Zone episode but without the gritty cowboys".

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

I just watched Danger Death Ray and holy cow that last watch shot. There's bad editing, and then there's when you just don't care.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Ms Boods posted:

Non-MST3K version, with what the scene really looks like when properly edited:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PcFEhUKhN6g (go to the last minute, unless you want to look at the whole thing -- and why not. bup bup bup bah dah dah).

Did they get a pre-cut version, or did they edit it weirdly themselves somehow?

E: nvm, missed the next page. A great MST movie, they clearly used the cheapest props money didn't need to buy.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

My first exposure to Rifftrax was seeing Rifftrax Live for Starship Troopers in the theater. It was wonderful, and the energy of seeing it in a group like that is not to be ignored. But yeah, my subsequent experiences with it have been very hit or miss, and for some reason I'm less forgiving when that happens than I am when a MST3K episode doesn't gel.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Burkion posted:

I had a friend that tried the first two episodes and hated the new season. I showed them Wizards of the Lost Kingdom and they turned right around on it.

Meanwhile I was sold as soon as they did the Reptilicus rap in the first episode. That one as a whole felt busy, but the segment showed me the kind of dorky enthusiasm I'd been wanting from more MST.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Man, Carnival Magic just did not do it for me at all. But that's the great thing about MST, there's so many episodes out there you don't HAVE to like the same ones.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Yeah, I think having a chance to breathe and ending some sketches on a low-key note rather than panicked movie sign are my two main wishlist improvements for a new season.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

precision posted:

Also, This Island Earth definitely falls into the category of "kind of a good movie". I've certainly watched it straight and enjoyed it. Plus, as they say in Dazed and Confused, "The Professor is sexy". :allears:

It's one of my dad's favorites. Our watching of the movie was interspersed with his complaining that they cut the important parts.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

rydiafan posted:

Similarly: DO SOMETHING!

So-di-um! So-di-um! So-di-um!

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

John Murdoch posted:

This one lost its luster when I realized they didn't understand what was happening in the movie.

They didn't? Was there something else to the long awkward scene of "Sodium reacts violently with water, but enough distractions we need to figure out a way of harming these water-based creatures (ignore humans being 60% water). Think!" Or my memory could have made the scene longer and more frustrating, it's been 20 years since I saw that one.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

John Murdoch posted:

Mike and the Bots really lean into the sodium thing when the plot lulls again after they've already got the sodium (or at least have figured it out, the one guy has to drive into the big city to get a substantial amount after all) and what they're stuck on is how to actually track down the monsters to use the sodium on them.

ah. I had bits mixed up then.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

precision posted:

I'm pretty sure if anyone was gonna try to take the show off Youtube it would have happened by now. I mean it's not like they're hidden in any way, they're like the easiest thing in the world to find.

In fact what I could see happening is Youtube themselves taking them down and then Joel and everyone saying "we didn't do it, we were fine with it"

Only way I could see it happening is if things changed somehow. Like if the people holding the rights for the movies they riffed were able and willing to do takedowns. Like you said, Shout/Joel have been fine with it until now. It really does fit nicely into the "indie broadcast traded on VHS tapes" origins of the show.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Yeah, MacArthur Park is one of those earworms that fades into and out of pop culture. The lyrics read like a heartbroken amateur's attempt at writing poetry, which is basically what it was, the style of the song changes as abruptly as classical music movements, it goes on for eight minutes, and despite it all the song's still listenable rather than just stamped "bad" and discarded.

It's a sticky meme. Not just MST, if someone needs to improv a joke about rain, there's almost certainly gonna be a cake in it.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

I mainly know him as the forger in The Great Escape.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Field Mousepad posted:

I don't know how George Lucas didn't sue the pants of off them.

Nobody in the movie wears pants.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

BANG is an instant classic gag, anyway. You'd think it would stop being funny as the movie goes on, but it doesn't!

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

I think I agree but it's like picking the best candy, and none of the options are Smarties. Everyone brought great stuff to the show.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Hijinks Ensue posted:

I'd also love for them to do Gymkata.

I love Gymkata if you go in knowing it's a bad movie. There are enough gems there that I think it would be a wonderful MST candidate.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

drrockso20 posted:

Speaking of Sentai, the 90's Power Rangers movie would probably make for a good riff too, but I believe the rights for it are kinda messy

The entire episode would be various forms of that BB-8 gag.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

twistedmentat posted:

I figured a shorter season means that it will be more like Voltron.

The bots combine to form Mecha3000, available at all Toys R Us locations (Joel, Jonah and Mike sold separately)?