Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

business hammocks posted:

Experimental psychology suggests that you would not see the gorilla in that situation, though. Do they at least make a joke about that?

The shtick was "I know you're excited for the legendary Starship Troopers shower scene, but I just want to say that we've been doing Rifftrax for seven years now, so I got something to celebrate it. A GORILLA-GRAM!" *cut away from movie to the theater camera*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Dixville posted:

Lol I forgot about that sketch and I wasn't sure why but then crow started that screeching noise and I remembered that it freaks my dog out and makes him bark so I can't watch that one. This time it was on my phone so he just growled at it.
This also applies to anything where dogs bark so I have to skip that part in Red Zone Cuba. And Manos.
My dog is training me basically

My cat would completely ignore the TV except for one scene in a PBS vignette about a wildcat rescue center. At the end of the vignette they do a close-up on a lynx who does a "get that thing out of my face" hiss and every time it sent my cat into full alert mode.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

I like the dots for OOC comments. Visible but not intrusive.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

remusclaw posted:

Season 11 has hits and misses, like any other season, and I honestly think it hit more often. On top of that, I will also say that the interstitial segments are top tier, ranking alongside any other seasons best, even in they do fail to hit a high quite as stratospheric as the one they hit with Ingmar Bergman's "A Joke"

The rest of the first episode was okay, but the kaiju rap from Reptilicus is when I had to pause the video and run downstairs to show my brother that they'd nailed it, this was MST again.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

If they end the interstitials with something other than a constant "AAAA ITS MOVIE SIGN AGAIN!" it will be a perfect season.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Manos does that for me. It's infamous, and I get why, but it is not a fun watch. It just sucks all the energy from the room. Carnival Magic was borderline that bad for me, it took me three tries to make it all the way through that episode.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

muscles like this! posted:

My favorite thing about This Island Earth is just how loving long it takes Cal to realize Exeter is an alien.

I've known a lot of nuclear physicists, Exeter doesn't stand out.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

And then there's Svengoolie and Elvira and a bunch of other random horror host-esque folks. MST didn't steal a shtick, they tapped into the zeitgeist (I think that's the right word) of dead airtime cheap cable shows and, like everyone else, made it their own. Some adaptations stuck, some didn't. MST in particular, with the running commentary, became an integral part of their show that the more typical hosts who just did interstitials didn't. And so while some hosts may stick around in the memory for iconic looks (Elvira's got a couple of big reasons people remember her) I don't think there any where the episodes themselves really stuck around in the same way.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Cemetry Gator posted:

It's the standard "bad on purpose" excuse a lot of people use. As if intentionally being bad means that it is actually good.

I do stuff in music sometimes, and I know a lot of people who will just say their crappy song is experimental.

Yeah, the drummer is behind because he's messing with our expectations of what a beat is.

Experiments fail.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

...yeah, I've stopped quoting that bit.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Dawgstar posted:

It's got one of my favorite skits, being excessively odd - where Mike sits in the midst of all this high-end audio equipment and sits and listens to the flick's tinny dance music played on repeat. He even does the audiophile thing of the green marker through the middle of CD. Mike never even smiles, just sort of lightly nods his head. It just goes on forever and I love it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=THbKEXBk8X0

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Only through Mac & Me so far, the first half of that movie was just :stare:, but hilariously bad once it got rolling at the McD. I too want to see the movie that audio guy thought he was scoring.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Dr.Caligari posted:

Cripes. There is a sequel to Atlantic Rim

Atlantic Rim 2: Rim Harder

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

I don't think I'm going to make it through Atlantic Rim. Five seconds in and I'm already broken by how they're pronouncing Herodotus.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Being an old fart I remember the marketing, McDonald's and Coke went all out with some promo contest, but I don't think I ever saw the movie until this gauntlet.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

I know this is like trying to untangle a hairball, but I'm trying to figure out Killer Fish's plot. Not sure if bits were cut or just talked over.
--Steal jewels, toss in dam, wait 60 days for heat to die down. Fish deployed to ensure that.
--Flunkies try a double-cross, get fished.
--Flunkies try again, get fished.
--Everybody sits around for 60 days showering and such.
--Baddie and Wife get jewels. Protagonist sabotages boat (out of spite for the dead flunkies? Just plain orneryness? He did not yet know Baddie was a baddie.)
--Storm hits.
--Lots of folks get fished, Protagonist realizes Baddie is a baddie.
--Baddie dies, folks rescued, entire tourist industry for the lake ruined due to piranha.
--Wife gets jewelbox.
--(apparently) Wife opens jewelbox, takes half the jewels, and pretends she can't open it even when on the plane home scott free.
--(at some point afterward) Model swaps jewelbox.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

luxury handset posted:

personally i blame the subdivision developer who thought to provide open, unrestricted access to a slope, adjacent to a home, that was overlooking a giant precipice

The house I grew up in had one of those. Maybe 40 feet out the back gate was an 800-foot cliff overlooking the Rio Grande. A bit less of a slope leading up to it, though.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

Baddie and Wife got the jewels early so they wouldn't have to split it with the surviving flunkies. They threw a big chunk of meat into the lake to get past the piranhas. However, the original idea behind stocking them in the lake was that the piranha would naturally die out from eating the available food sources after 60 days.

Ah, which explains why Protagonist sabotaged the boat and why the model shoot was still there. I thought "bait them with some meat" had always been the plan.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Chokes McGee posted:

- there are fish
- they kill
- except the protagonist

Look, I'm a big fan of heist movies. As far as I'm concerned the fish were a backdrop.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Nemo2342 posted:

When I was younger I used to go to the weekly midnight Rocky Horror Picture Show screenings. And even there, at a show known for random assholes yelling and throwing stuff at the screen, the jokes are largely rehearsed.

Every now and then someone would come up with a killer new joke and it would get added to the canon, but for the most part the cast and the regulars stuck with the lines they knew were funny.

My first encounter with RH was in college, and it was neat to see a couple of friends from the Bay area introduce their hometown riffs to the Portland crowd.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

SolarFire2 posted:

I got that feeling too. During the escape at the mall, a girl shows up driving the van, whom I guess is supposed to be the older brothers girlfriend? And I swore we'd never seen her before in the movie.

That was the younger girl's older sister.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Ator completely didn't land for me, I caught myself skipping ahead, but 5/6 aint bad.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

We've switched these lightbulbs with Folger's crystals. Let's watch.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

I like PBS, they have short shows about local artists and nature and such to fill those gaps.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

bad posts ahead!!! posted:

does anyone know what the festival in beast of hollow mountain is? or was that part of the wedding

http://www.tcm.com/tcmdb/title/17036/The-Beast-of-Hollow-Mountain/notes.html posted:

Copyright files also add that the Aztec festival of Mahvatl, which is shown in the wedding sequence, had never before been shown onscreen.
http://www.tcm.com/tcmdb/title/17036/The-Beast-of-Hollow-Mountain/notes.html

Though that citation is all I can find of Mahvatl.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

For Twitch ads also note that they're constantly trying to get them past uBlock and uBlock is constantly trying to undo it. So you could be watching fine, then reload your browser and get ads, then next time uBlock updates they're gone again.

My biggest gripe about streaming ads is that they just pop in wherever/whenever, it's so jarring. Also because on Youtube (I use the phone app so can't block ads) it'll just show at the start of a video, and then suddenly decide on a random video to show one every three minutes.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Paper Kaiju posted:

I have an uncle in Italy who is an old scifi/horror movie buff, and he genuinely likes Beast of Yucca Flats, but he loves most everything in that era and genre indiscriminately. He also has no love for MST3K.

I remember when we rented the MST3K movie. This Island Earth was one of my dad's favorite movies when it came out. My brother and I sat there chortling while he complained that they were leaving out the good parts.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Another Bill posted:

I've been watching too many bad movies. I was just watching Hobgoblins and found myself thinking, some of these actors aren't bad. Decent production values too, except for the puppet monsters.

I had a similar reaction watching Gymkata. It's a terrible movie, but if you go in *knowing* it's a terrible movie there's some neat stuff in there. For example I believe the main character was one of only a handful of people who at the time could do a 180 back-flip, so they have a scene of him doing it multiple times in a row just to be catty to the love interest. And the creepy village setpiece, while out of nowhere with a convenient pommel horse in the main square for a fight scene, is legitimately creepy with some good shots and use of tone.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Watched Track of the Moon Beast last night and it was funny but mostly made me homesick. Reminded me of a movie my scout troop made back in high school (with about the same quality, though I'm pretty sure ours never showed outside of a VCR in an assembly hall). I need to find a chance to get back to NM for a visit.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Dawgstar posted:

Did you attempt to startle each other and then immediately apologize for rushing the Halloween season?

No, but since our town had been evacuated due to a forest fire that year they had some great footage to use when they evacuated the city because of the Bond Villan's plot.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Dawgstar posted:

I re-watched the scene on Track of the Moon Beast where the Bots reenact the Halloween season rushing bit and found it more funny than I ever had before, simply by virtue of focusing on Mike. The man has a gift for doing something mundane and barely acknowledging the world around him and making it seem hilarious. (See also the 'Mike the audiophile' bit from The Creeping Terror.')

People underestimate what a good straightman brings to the table.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Ms Boods posted:

Never mind that; I want to know if Bruceski has a recipe for stew, and if so, what's in it?

That was the classic NMican recipe. The important part is the sigh before adding the onions, lot of folks forget that and it just doesn't taste right.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Funky Valentine posted:

Bea Arthur is the only person in the Holiday Special who does not appear to be either drunk or on something illicit.

A masterful actress.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Dawgstar posted:

Do y'all have a riff that cracks you up no matter how many times you hear it? For me (and there'll probably be others I remember), it's when the homewrecker in The Skydivers shows up and Crow says "Ah, the Femme Fatale" phonetically. (Possibly because when I was a kid I also said it that way because who says those words out loud.)

He fixes appliances. *Bond theme*

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Dawgstar posted:

I would certainly be down for riffing more attempts to cash in on the 70's disaster movie as well.

I found it fascinating because my only previous exposure to that genre had been Airplane! so I was already primed for comedy.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

muscles like this! posted:

Also anyone else think the sound mixing isn't that great? The movie is a little low.

Yeah, I've had to turn my system up to max to hear the movie. and just hope no commentator suddenly blows my ears out.

"That's not a way to treat a phone, friend." "I bought him a drink, what more should I do?" was a great line though and I'm glad I turned things up enough to hear it.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

TVs Ian posted:

I do wish there were a “Director’s Cut” version available. Full version of This Island Earth, the cut storm shelter scene and original ending, the original riffs in place, the theme song, etc.

First time I saw The Movie was wonderful because it had an extra audio track of my dad in the background complaining that TIE was one of his favorite movies and they were leaving out the good parts.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

With the sun out now I wore my wide-brimmed hat with mask the other day and it felt like I needed to find a stagecoach to rob.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Tuned into the Twitch channel just in time for Clown in the Sky.

I'm not crying, it's just raining indoors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Cry Wilderness is just the right amount of baffling.