Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
I love Carnival Magic. I didn't realize until like halfway thru that that one guy the girl was hanging around wasn't her father--but her love interest :gonk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Junkie Disease posted:

What a rotten day, Frank conniff blocked me on Twitter and I have no idea why haven't tweeted @him in months and only to help dump on trolls

If you have too few twitter followers you fail the robot test of the autoblockers.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
Inframan is good enough to watch on its own. It's an amazing film.

As for a movie from within the past five years...Neil Breen's Fateful Findings was filmed in 2013.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

PostNouveau posted:

Then they get to come up with reasons for the bots to produce props to obscure the screen. I love those gags!

Ah, just like when we watched Requiem for a Dream in High School drama.

"rear end to rear end!"

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Bicyclops posted:

Yeah, what the hell is up with that? I feel like Glow's season 2 airdate wasn't announced until like two weeks beforehand. I'd say it was in response to that Arrested Development bad publicity fiasco, but the same thing happened with AD and Kimmy Schmidt.

On the one hand, it's not like they need to hype it up for advertisers. No commercials, no need to get asses in couches for the premiere.

On the other hand, it's a real bummer to not know when something is coming back!

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
Icebreaker makes no sense but it does have Sean Astin flailing around in the snow and Bruce Campbell being VERY EVIL.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Gavok posted:

The nice thing about Icebreaker is that after filming it, Sean Astin found out he got the part for Fellowship of the Ring.

Now that's a real happy ending!

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
I could not make it through Rollergator. The soundtrack did me in.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

muscles like this! posted:

Avalanche is great for just how mean it is to the mother. She's crushed in the avalanche, dies, is revived and then the goddamn ambulance drives off a bridge when taking her to the hospital.

Like four people in this movie die or are grievously injured just by reckless driving. It's absolutely one of my favorites.

Also, I do hope they eventually manage to get Inframan. It's a truly amazing movie. He's got amazing thunderball fists! He's the man beyond bionics!

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Gavok posted:

I was more a fan of Kinga's confused, "Is this that Hamilton thing?"

I never saw the movie, but I have seen James Rolfe's review and I'm sold. Nothing but cheese and endless explosions.

I highly recommend giving Inframan a watch.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Dungeon Ecology posted:

recently rewatched carnival magic on a whim and man does that movie have a creepy rapey vibe to it. plus that really sucky racist joke about the car chase.

but it’s the 70s so i guess par for the course.

I wasn't paying too much attention when I was watching Carnival magic, and I honestly thought the girl's love interest in that movie was supposed to be her dad, the age gap was so extreme :barf:

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

World Famous W posted:

How many films can you remember seeing before watching the riffed version? A gas station when I was a child had a vhs rental section and had Merlin's Shop for some reason. I watched that any times before ever seeing the episode.

Reptilicus and oddly enough Santa Claus Conquers the Martians.

It's why I like the Reptilicus episode even if the pacing is flawed; I remember watching it as a kid on TV.

My mom got a copy of Santa Claus Conquers the Martians for my dad along with a still from the movie off ebay (The part where Santa is laughing at the food pills) based on the title alone so we watched it on Christmas one year.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Proteus Jones posted:

I’ve had luck with a 3rd party app called Twitchy on the AppleTV. Have yet to see a commercial when watching TurkeyDay MST3K Twitch channel (literally the only time I use it)

The Pluto.tv RiffTrax channel is pretty good. They do have commercials, but no where near the frequency you’re reporting.

They have a pretty reasonable frequency for their commercials--unfortunately I've found their application to be a bit on the buggy side.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Maxwell Lord posted:

Pluto.tv's problem is they have like 4 sponsors at any given time, and if I see that goddamn "guy trains for a marathon so he can photograph his daughter who is in the marathon" ad again I swear

That's bad enough. The real problem is the bug I get where it plays two or three ads at more or less the same time.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
Holy poo poo, that list. Mac & Me is one thing, but I really want to see what they do with Ator, a movie about one man's unrelenting quest to gently caress his sister.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Davros1 posted:

It's the first CAVE DWELLERS film, right?

Yes, I believe so. Also, I must emphasize, I am not exaggerating: The hero's call to action is his sister, whom he has always wanted to gently caress, getting kidnapped. He finds out the day before she is nabbed that he was adopted so he gets his parents' blessing to get together. It is a wild flick.

I Am Fowl fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Oct 13, 2018

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
I'm always a sucker for silly songs.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Evil Mastermind posted:

I wish I could remember where I saw the interview, but I remember Tony Cardoza saying something along the lines of "Coleman Francis made movies like other people cut themselves."

I think this is why I like the Coleman Francis Trilogy; it's three attempts to make this weird, misanthropic manifesto. I watch these, thinking that there must have been some ephemeral "better" version in his head that was still obviously incoherent and menaced by guntoting vigilantes in aircraft.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Failson posted:

Directed by Red Letter Media favorite - Don Dohler. He makes the same movie every few years. Some day, he will get it right.

Makes you wonder what we would have gotten if Coleman Francis had the same approach and didn't stop after three movies. What sort of depraved, depressing films were we, as a people, robbed of? How many more scenes of vigilantes firing on people and monsters from small aircraft could we have had?

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
Poor guy; shirt is so tight it wrinkles when he breathes.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Jet Jaguar posted:

After that intro I want all the Chinese food.

Glad I had some General Tso's just before this started.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
So, does eating too much chinese food kill Frank?

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

HannibalBarca posted:

I hope so. Not because it's necessarily a great episode (it's fine) but, even before MST3K, Reptilicus has a special resonance for me as the first movie that I ever stayed up past by bedtime to watch on 90s cable.

I saw Reptilicus as a kid too--on TCM or something, so I've got a soft spot for it too even if it's definitely one of the weaker riffs in the revival.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Proteus Jones posted:

LOL

I forgot about the closing song and it’s uplifting message of Just Give Up, It’s Not Worth It.

It's the cherry on top of this episode, really.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Laterite posted:

Man, Cry Wilderness, what an instant classic.

I'm always baffled that it was released in 1987, though; it looks easily a decade older. A kid walking around in 1987 with that haircut and those clothes would definitely catch a beating or two.

And for believing in Bigfoot :bahgawd:

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

wit posted:

I love that movie now. It couldn't be riffed on during it, but seriously, he ran across america to go tell him? Its like ET getting in the spaceship, then flying back when he's in school to say "elliot, your dad is on mars, it needs some kind of intervention of an ugly candy shilling alien. Go steal a rocket, I'll meet you there in a month, its kickin off."

I mean was that even Bigfoot or like...Bigfoot's ghost?

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
I'm watching Santa Claus (the mexican one, where he tangles with the Devil). TV's Frank's savings bond is still five years away from maturity.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Dawgstar posted:

The next book for 372 Pages has been announced and my God, it's full of stars.

https://www.amazon.in/Certified-Accountant-64-SQUARES-Financial-Statements-ebook/dp/B01LYMX2TL

This reads like an activation phrase.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
I was watching City Limits on Netflix and got a message that it's leaving March 15 or so. Anyone else see that or hear anything?

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
This time we've only got ten episodes of the old MST3K on Netflix (US):

The Day the Earth Froze
Hobgoblins
The Beatniks
Sinister Urge
Bride of the Monster
The Incredibly Strange Creatures etc.
Gunslinger
Deathstalker and the Warriors from Hell
The Beast of Yucca Flats
The Atomic Brain

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Cemetry Gator posted:

Did they pull down Manos and Space Mutiny? I remember the last time, they took down half of the episodes and left the rest up.

Yup, these are the only ones up at this moment.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Golden Bee posted:

Carnival magic is so sleazy and weird. It’s about a publicist versus an evil lion tamer who gets his rear end kicked by a lion.

First time I watched it, I wasn't paying enough attention and I thought the girl's love interest was her father.

On the second watch--the romance was just as creepy! She still seems underage and the PR guy still seems like he's much older.

I Am Fowl fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Apr 15, 2019

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Action Jacktion posted:

A couple of recent deaths:

David Winters (age 80): Choreographer of Kitten With a Whip and director/writer/producer of Space Mutiny. He was better known as a choreographer and worked on Viva Las Vegas, the 1976 version of A Star is Born, and The Star Wars Holiday Special. Then for some reason in the 1980s he started producing and directing tons of awful movies.

Mario Bernardo (age 99): In WWII he fought Italian fascists and Nazis as part of the Italian Communist Party. Later he was a cinematographer on a number of movies, working with directors like Pasolini. Then somehow he ended up doing special effects for Pumaman. So the next time you watch Pumaman and want to laugh at the effects, remember they were done by a badass Nazi killer.

The practical effects in Pumaman are actually pretty nice, what with the exploding bricks and the crumpling car parts. It's just the flying and such that are laughable.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

TL posted:

They just announced two shows at the State Theatre in Jersey: one is No Retreat, No Surrender, and the other is Circus of Horrors. There’s a blurb in the description saying this tour is Joel’s final tour performing as a differ.

Wow, these tickets are going fast. I grabbed a seat for both shows; there's a thirty percent discount if you do that!

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

bad posts ahead!!! posted:

well this makes their jokes about sequels and the "carnival magic cinematic universe" over the end credits a little bleak

I'm sure that More Carnival Magic exists. I can hear the chimp voiceover coming from under the floorboards.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
Moon Zero Two is tragically close to being a good movie. A little less dead air and it'd be solid. As it stands it's colorful and it's got some fun ideas and story and some wonderfully silly poo poo.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Failson posted:

Another season 1 defender, checking in!

I honestly have a fondness for all of them, with three exceptions:

1) Project Moonbase - Big time misogyny already mentioned, and that's on top of just being really, really dull. The two episodes of Commando Cody are worth watching though.

So, I've been trying to gradually go through the entirety of MST3K. I even have an excel spreadsheet so I know what I've seen and I can take notes if there's something I do not want to see again--like if an episode has a movie where they clearly just had two animals maul each other on screen (King Dinosaur, I think, has an iguana and a small crocodile fight and it's horrible. The footage was also used as b-roll in Robot Monster). Sometimes it's just a heads up so I can skip past a bad thing or maybe just not rewatch altogether.

My note for Project Moonbase is simply "I hate this movie so much."

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Failson posted:

Hadn't watched Fire Maidens from Outer Space in a while. Geeze, it's a slog. The Timmy stuff still sort of creeps me out, but it saves the episode.

Timmy's got to be one of the Crows that they use for the Theater, right?

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
You know what? The first like twenty minutes of the Crawling Hand is actually a pretty compelling and creepy cosmic horror story. You start in media res with them already having lost contact with the space capsule and they've got the unsettling, machine-like countdown of remaining oxygen going in the background as they try and figure out what the gently caress is going on and then long after the astronaut should be dead, he contacts them screaming "KILL ME" and the scientist are like "well...I think we're burning that tape..." A nice, weird episode of TV that had the tragic misfortune to be stretched into a full length feature film. Cue Rod Serling: "Look, space is scary and sometimes weird poo poo happens for no apparent reason. The universe is cold and indifferent to you. Have fun sleeping tonight."

I Am Fowl fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Oct 12, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

TL posted:

Just got in from the live show, we saw No Retreat, No Surrender, and it was an absolute hoot. If you have the chance, I strongly recommend it.

Me too, and Circus of Horror, lot of fun. Circus of Horror is one of those peculiar bad movies where you're not sure who the main characters were supposed to be even when it's over.

Seemed like the bits were a little better in the second show, since they were warmed up.