Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

ShakeZula posted:

Yeah, the big quoted one in my family was always 12 To The Moon, which rarely ever seems to make any lists.

I don't really quote it, but I've gone on record before saying 12 To The Moon is one of my favorite episodes. I love both the riffing and the movie itself, just because it's so sincere. They really thought they were making a serious sci fi epic that was saying something about the Unknown and the peoples the world coming together. Plus I love the little things like how they had to do all their navigation math on the fly by hand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Ensign_Ricky posted:

I like to think of The Phantom Planet as a sequel to 12 To The Moon. They both have that sincerity you're talking about, which is probably because they were both written by Fred Gebhardt. Also they share a bunch of cast members.
Huh, I never noticed that before. Guess I'm due for a rewatch!

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Calaveron posted:

I imagine getting a letter asking you if it'd be alright to mst3k your movie must've been a lot like getting a phone call from Weird Al asking if he could parody your movie

Well, there was that whole thing with Hobgoblins...

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Secks posted:

I love when absolutely nothing is happening and Joel just says gently caress it and opens a can of pop. You can tell its really bad when they just have to start talking about things other than the movie.

My favorite episode is the aforementioned bizarre Mexican Santa Claus film where he battles the devil. Every quip is hilarious, especially the opening sequence when Santa is playing the piano. They did it again on Rifftrax later (the non-edited version of the film) but the MST3K version is much funnier.
In the Episode Guide, I think this was the movie they admitted was the first one where they made a conscious decision to have all the skits not be about the movie, since there wasn't anything in the movie to base skit on in the first place.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Guys, this Riding With Death discussion is great and all, but can you keep it down? I need to finish working on these patent papers.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

I hadn't seen this mentioned: Trace and Frank have started a movie podcast called Movie Sign With The Mads. They're only five episodes in but it's been really good so far. It's not really a "bad movie" podcast as much as they pick a movie, then talk about it, its genre, and related films.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

HungryMedusa posted:

Last Clear Chance and Days of our Years are both great.

I think A Date With Your Family is my favorite.

A voilent argument erupts over whose day was more pleasant!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Hh4M4vipAo
Yeah, that's my favorite too. The way Mike delivers "their stomachs knotted like FISTS" gets me every time.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Apparently this was the poster for Danger: Death Ray!

That's clearly a machine gun, not a death ray. :colbert:

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Don't forget:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xnrwbTgVuOw

We're on a date. :smug:

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

:siren: The VOD of the Reunion Show is up! :siren:

If you backed the kickstarter, they just sent out the reward links.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Bruceski posted:

Well, Beginning of the End was a good palate-cleanser. Good riffs, good interludes, and grasshoppers crawling on postcards. Next up, I Accuse my Parents.

Ah yes, that's the one where the kid accuses his parents. A good example of the meandering style of movie from the 40s.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

So here's an interesting question: who's dumber, Jimmy from I Accuse My Parents, or Marv from High School Big Shot?

I mean, they're both pretty stupid, but at least Marv was able to sort-of organize a heist. Not well, but he put a plan together. Jimmy doesn't seem to pay attention to anything that's going on around him because he's too busy making up stories about his parents.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Huh, I didn't realize that the guy who made Girl in Gold Boots also made Corpse Grinders and The Undertaker And His Pals. That's...kind of surprising, really.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Ballz posted:

The creepiest thing about the Creeping Terror (no pun intended) were the sexual undertones whenever the monster ate women. The shots on the legs being sucked in linger a tad too long and then the monster's head then rocks about with its appendages flailing... ugh.

I always like to think that stuff like Creeping Terror is what people with weird-rear end fetishes had to do before DeviantArt existed.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

One of the things they talk about in the Episode Guide is how much they all love Beverly Garland, because she was a rarity in the types of movies they tended to do: she played capable, competent female characters. That wasn't really something you saw a lot of in movies of the 50's.

Like in It Conquered the World; once she figures out what's going on with the alien sort-of controlling her husband and everything, her plan was basically "grab a rifle and blow the drat thing away." Yeah, she got killed, but she still managed to go down firing.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

I love all three sketches from Horrors of Spider Island, even though I think the first and third should have been switched.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

I love Mike's music-themed sketches.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5MTZ8lReVmM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ePusmtf1IQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rlUqxyT6DIw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=THbKEXBk8X0
I love how he's clearly enjoying listening to those two bars over and over.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

I love that video, for no other reason than because it proves that enjoyment and riffing of bad movies transcends national and political boundaries.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

kiimo posted:

What was the first MST3K episode you watched? Or I guess hooked you?
The answer to both for me is Pod People. I clicked into it when the Mads were doing the public-domain karaoke machine bit, but the when Joel pointed out (correctly) that one of the poachers looked like he came from a Renaissance Festival and they all shouted "HUZZAH!" when he pulled out the crossbow, I knew I was hooked for life.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Man, I just do not get the people who don't want to release their stinker movies for MST box sets or whatever. I mean, at least make some money off them!

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

I love how weird the flirting scenes when Tony and whats-her-name first meet are.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Are pumas also known for their whining?

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Rirse posted:

They mocked another movie on Rifftrax called Bahama Triangle that had him playing one of the ship crew. They of course make a lot Puma Man jokes at him.

Bermuda Triangle, not Bahama. Coincidentally, it was also an Italian (well, Italian/Mexican) cash-in-on-popular-genre movie.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

"Save 50% on Rowsdower!"

e: yessssssssssssss Pod People! The first episode I ever saw back in the day. :dance:

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Bring me the girl; I desire to be read to.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

I'd be very surprised if neither Space Mutiny or Final Sacrifice made the top 6.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Jet Jaguar posted:

I'm thinking Outlaw.

Also I'd forgotten how nihilistic Pod People is. Such a high body count and no real resolution.

Pod People was originally supposed to be a straight-up horror movie, but when E.T. came out while the movie was being made the producers forced the filmmakers to showhorn in the "friendly alien" subplot at the last second to cash in on that trend.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

BigRed0427 posted:

FInal Sacrifice is another one of those MST movies that look fun by themselves.

I don't think it'd be that great on its own; there's just way too many stretches with no dialog or nothing happening.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Hang on, I'm having a series of elaborate heart attacks...

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Knew him? He was delicious!

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Mitchell; even his name says "is that a beer?"

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

He's only got a few more minutes to be likable, think he can pull it off?

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Did you sign Cheri's birthday card?

fake edit: I love how the wormy guy tells the mutineers he's going to turn them in right in front of them. Good thinking!

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

I love Mike's double-take at seeing Crow as a Balarian.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

...theee...hands of fate.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

It's weird how much more fun it is watching MST3k when you know so many other people are watching it at the same time.

Happy Turkey Day. :3:

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

The Flying Rosdowers

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

JACK PALANCE (TV's "Ripley's Believe It or Not")

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Gavok posted:

The most annoying character in that movie went on to much success as Cosmo from the Fairly Oddparents and that always blows my mind.

Also the guy who played Roadrash played the pawn shop owner in Pulp Fiction.

Nick, however, went on to play...Pong in his underwear.