Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Some of my go-to faves are Cave Dwellers, Danger! Death Ray! Skydivers, 12 To The Moon, Catalina Caper, Fire Maidens, San Francisco International, and Creeping Terror. Admittedly, mainly for background listening.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

I just got the shipping notification that my T-Shirt and postcard set are shipping! :dance:

I was supposed to be getting a mug, too, but I guess that's shipping separately?

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Ah, yeah, I suppose that makes sense.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

GO!!!

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

My shirt and postcards came in today too. :dance:

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Yeah, I mean even in the early Joel era they had those jokes all over Catalina Caper, and of course there was "Thank God I'm white!" when Jimmy gets pardoned by the judge in I Accuse My Parents.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Well, let's see if the Wikipedia summary can clear things up.

quote:

Supercriminal Fu Manchu plots to freeze the world's oceans with a diabolical new device. With his evil daughter, Lin Tang, his army of dacoits, and the help of the local crime organization led by Omar Pasha (whom Fu Manchu doublecrosses), Fu Manchu takes over the governor's castle in Istanbul which has a massive Opium reserve, to control the largest opium port in Anatolia, a fuel for his machine. Fu Manchu needs the help of an intelligent scientist with an ailing heart whom he has imprisoned. In order to keep the scientist alive he kidnaps a doctor and his wife to give the scientist a heart transplant from one of his obedient servants. Opposing him from Britain's Interpol, is his nemesis Nayland Smith and Dr. Petrie.
Did that help? :downs:

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

e: ^ ^ ^ also that

According to legend, Monster-a-Go-Go was intended to just be the second movie in a Hershel Gordon Lewis prepackaged double feature, because he was sick of drive-in owners ripping him off.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

TerminalSaint posted:

He's not mad, just very disappointed.

That just makes it worse. :(

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

TL posted:

1101 is EXCELLENT!
I think we all knew it would be, but it's nice to have confirmation. :)

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Barudak posted:

Since I assume the target audience was parents, the idea would be that even something that simple could produce a bad kid to make decent parents work harder and have it be a weaksauce problem so that bad parents might feel ashamed in comparison.
It's basically the evolutionary ancestor of Lifetime movies.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

SirPhoebos posted:

My favorite "moral panic" film is Racket Girls It's got the psychologist from Glen or Glenda as the most passive mobster in history, and the extended wrestling scenes has me wishing for Jim Ross, Bobby Heenan-hell, I'd loving take Tony Schaivone!-to give a play-by-play.

Whoa, whoa whoa...let's not say things we can't take back here.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

DivisionPost posted:

APRIL 14, 2017

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Bicyclops posted:

My memory is that he's just one joke, for the entirety of his run, and there's something about the makeup that limits Kevin Murphy's ability to do that one joke justice.
I remember him saying once that the Bobo mask was his penance for forcing interns to wear the Jerry & Sylvia masks back in the early days of the show.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

TVs Ian posted:

There are some people that find that sort of thing really, really funny. See the Mike's stereo bit from The Creeping Terror, the pee scene from Austin Powers, or the episode of Space Ghost Coast to Coast where he follows an ant for most of the episode.
Mike listening to the Creeping Terror theme on his hi-fi system is one of my favorite sketches. He's just so content. :3:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=THbKEXBk8X0

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

The Ape of Naples posted:

Don't forget there's a Creeping Terror documentary!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qj7byOZHpY8
I keep meaning to watch that movie, because it looks pretty amazing.

Paper Kaiju posted:

Mind explaining that one for me? It didn't look like he was pretending to label it, so I assume it's a reference to some kind of audiophile placebo.
There was an weird belief ages ago that if you colored the back of a CD with a green marker, it'd improve the sound.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Just a heads-up: the this year's Rifftrax KS has announced that Trace and Frank will be joining in on one of this year's shows. They also added a $1 tier that gets you two new shorts.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Larryb posted:

Is that the only time they riffed a movie that was intentionally supposed to be a comedy?
I think so, yeah, but even then it's such an unfunny comedy it's hard to accept that it's supposed to be funny in the first place. All the jokes in the movie feel like they were added by the Comedytron 2000: things that are clearly supposed to be jokes, have the cadence of jokes, but aren't jokes.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Fezz posted:

Like several other "movies" it was a failed tv pilot.
Technically, it's not a "failed" pilot because the show actually happened. Yes, it replaced Pernell Roberts with Lloyd Bridges, and yeah it only aired like six episodes, but it still was on the air for a while.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

A little late, but if you haven't seen it I highly recommend watching the Roger Corman documentary Corman's World. It's a fascinating watch, and it really did make me respect him.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

I know I'm probably alone on this, but I really like Ring of Terror as an episode. It's such a great example of those old movies trying to set up a "world" with side characters and subplots and stuff.

Hogama posted:

They're only really related in that they're both tokusatsu genre (read: live action filming heavy on special effects, like sci-fi and superheroes) releases from Toei. Prince of Space came a few years before Neptune Men and was more noticeably imitating the successful Super Giant (Starman in America) series a few years prior. In the end the less well-regarded entries into the genre probably just feel familiar because someone was trying to make a quick yen following established conventions, mostly. Copies of copies of copies.
Fun Fact: Space Chief was actually played by by a very young Sonny Chiba.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Compendium posted:

I raise you the big lipped kid from High School Big Shot, my favorite episode for the pure schadenfreude.

Yeah, that guy's whole life was just a cavalcade of bad choices.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

ringu0 posted:

Is there a non-joke explanation why Jack Frost is called a russo-finnish movie? I looked it up, and didn't see where Finland would be involved in production. I mean I should really just relax, but I'm sort of curious.
Jack Frost is actually based on an old Russian fairy tale, as were Magic Voyage of Sinbad (which wasn't originally about Sinbad; that was added by the dub) and The Sword and the Dragon.

All three were Russian movies, but I don't know where the "Finish" part comes from, though.

egon_beeblebrox posted:

I managed to watch it in one sitting, somehow, which is more than I can say about Monster-A-Go-Go.
Wow, God bless you. It took me three tries to get through that thing and I haven't touched it since.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Larryb posted:

Out of curiousity, what was the hero of the second movie originally called (and for that matter, what was the film's orginal title) and why did the dub change it to Sinbad?

Sadko. According to Wikipedia it's based on an opera which was (in turn) based on an old epic fable.

e: the movie was changed by Roger Corman's distribution house, but the reason for the changes was probably the ol' "other cultures make people confused" thinking.

Evil Mastermind fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Mar 28, 2017

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

OldTennisCourt posted:

In the DVD set that included Time Chasers Mike did little intros to all the episodes and in that one he mentioned the viewing party story as being true and that the guy who played the main character and the guy who played the lead villain in particular were pretty pissed.
They've chilled in the years since, because they were part of the cast reunion they did for the Rifftrax Live.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xR3TnbAvPn4

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

I registered my account, but there's really nothing there yet apart from the blog. The store links aren't even working yet.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Gavok posted:

I watched Rocketship X-M because it's one of the landmark episodes (first Kevin Murphy and Frank) and that was one of the hardest movies to sit through. The wiki description of the plot is like 5-6 paragraphs and the first two or three sentences take up 3/4 of the movie.

I actually like Rocketship X-M. Yeah it's slower than hell, but I've got a soft spot for those old sci-fi movies that try to be all forward thinking and having a MESSAGE, Like 12 To The Moon.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

I think more than any other MST3k movie, I'd want to hear a director's commentary, or at least an account of someone who was involved in the movie, on Sidehackers. The whole whiplash switch from "sport movie sort of" to "revenge for my raped/murdered fiance" just makes no sense, and I'd love to hear what the hell made that happen. Or what the crew's reaction was.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

...wow, there's overthinking a premise, and then there's whatever the hell that is. It's no Project Popcorn, I'll tell you that much.

Alehkhs posted:

Weakness-wise, the Joel era has a tendency for questionable jabs at Asians, while the Mike era leans more on declaring actresses to be transvestites and actors to be gay. :can:
Yeah, I was watching Incredibly Strange Creatures with a friend who's trans, and she did not appreciate all the jokes about the female dancer being a guy. I mean, yeah it was the 90's and we hadn't figured that poo poo out yet, but it still a little awkward nowadays.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Egbert Souse posted:

BROOKS AND DUNN

Wynonna!

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Pleasing Shape posted:

Pluto TV has an all-MST3K channel with maybe 20 or so episodes in good quality, and is totally free. They seem to loop 4 or 5 episodes a day. I know there's apps for iPhone and Amazon.

The downside is it's literally a channel. If you miss something you have to wait until it rolls around again. Plus they keep the original ad breaks for maybe 2 minutes of new ads or Pluto id's.

Almost all the other channels are junk but it's worth a download. They have a couple of obscure movies channels that aren't bad at all.

I think the episodes on Pluto are the ones on the official MST3k YouTube channel, because Pluto pulls most of its content from YT.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Only 15 minutes in and I'm loving this. :allears:

I'm squishy!

e: Oh man the song during the first "commercial break" is the Wild Rebels theme!

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Just finished the episode and I'm just grinning like an idiot. So good.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Bicyclops posted:

The only legit-ish complaints I see are that things are a little too fast-paced, we don't see enough of the Mads, and there are some sound sync issues (bots mouths moving a bit after they speak, riffs hitting just a second before the thing they're riffing hits the screen etc). I'm sure the first two are just that they have to move through the premise quickly to get to the riffing (I mean, there's always only so much of the Mads we can see), and they probably get a little better at the sound sync stuff as the season goes.
Yeah, I do agree that it would have been nice to see more of the Mads. The host segments were funny, but they felt short to me.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Powered Descent posted:

The only things I can think to nitpick are the tiny things that have already been brought up -- Needs more time spent with the Mads, the host segments seemed a little rushed, I have no idea what was the deal with Gypsy dropping off and picking up the thing. Overall, I think they nailed the goofy handmade tone perfectly.

Earlier on Crow set up a bucket over there to "catch" some of the acid(?) slime Reptillicus was was barfing out; Gypsy was hoisting it up.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Breadallelogram posted:

if anyone finds this gif, please post here - I almost jumped off the couch when I realized I had seen that face before
I don't know if this really need to be spoilered, but just in case...

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

I dare someone to explain Cry Wilderness to me.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

It's great how, even as rapid-fire as the riffing is, there's still so many great lines that stand out.

"Fire in an aquarium? That'll sort itself out."

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

I dunno, making fun of Fudgey the Whale felt like classic MST to me. Just poking fun at one of those weird things everyone knows about but never remembers until it's brought up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Yeah, I'm in New England and Carvel was a big-ish thing in this region. I actually thought it was a national thing until literally just now, so...oops?

Unrelated, I'm glad someone made this already.