Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Zamboni Rodeo posted:

Something I've really appreciated about this New Years stream (and the Swayze Christmas one) is that they're showcasing Rifftrax and Cinematic Titanic in addition to MST3k. It's just nice to see.

I really like that the Rifftrax crew and the NeoMST crew are on such good terms. The Mads are Back is staying a little more arm's-length from both, but there doesn't seem to be any seething hatred between camps or anything.

It could easily have gone otherwise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

I kiss my frog in his honor.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Happy new year to all of my posture pals.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

The Magic Sword features Gary Lockwood and "an embarrassed Basil Rathbone".

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

zoux posted:

Most insufferable character: Watney Smith from Gor, Moon from Beatniks, or either member of the oversexed friend couple in Hobgoblins?

The Paper Chase guy's talking motorcycle from Warrior of the Lost World.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

John Murdoch posted:

Oh no...cops.

Oh no, it is the man! I hope we don't get carted to the big house.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Who will be her friends? Who will be her blood enemies? What secret societies will she join? Will she smoke thin black cigarettes and reject the triune God?

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Worship at a railroad of your choice.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

An uncredited Ricardo Montalban was the English-dub voice of Claudius in Hamlet. (I can't believe Mike and the bots only made ONE mention of it in the whole movie, a "rich Corinthian leather" joke.)

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

Ah, the misplaced confidence of the middle-aged white boomer.

:eng101: Debbie is the boomer in that family, everyone else is too old.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Asterite34 posted:

Holy poo poo no way

Listen to his lines and it's obvious.

It's obvirous, Admiral.

BURIED ALIVE, Admiral.

BURIED ALIIVE.

(Suriously, just listen, that's obviously Khan.)

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Splint Chesthair posted:

It’s kind of refreshing that the conflict is hobbyist drama between these two tweedy nerds. Like, has Britain ever produced a horror movie about warring stamp collectors?

In one of the original Sherlock Holmes stories, the villain is an evil butterfly collector.

e: To clarify, he's an evil collector of butterflies, not a collector of evil butterflies. (Although I suppose we don't know for sure if any of the butterflies were evil too. But if they were, that's unimportant to the plot.)

Powered Descent fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Jan 30, 2024

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Asterite34 posted:

I've said it before, but I maintain that Screaming Skull isn't actually that bad. The performances are honestly pretty decent, it has an okay sense of atmosphere (when it's not padded to hell anyway), the central conceit of it is suitably spooky. "Serial black widower gaslights new bride with fake ghost of his previous wife so she has a mental breakdown and her murder can look more convincing as a suicide, only for ACTUAL ghost of previous wife to appear and wreak her vengeance upon him" is a good horror movie plot!

It just maybe should have been, I dunno, an episode of Alfred Hitchcock Presents or something, it can't fill a feature length runtime well.

Agreed 100%. The way I've phrased it is that if you edit out all the filler and packing peanuts, you'd be left with a perfectly decent Twilight Zone episode.

All the extra runtime just lets you ponder things you aren't supposed to think about too hard, like Mickey's entire living and employment situation. (Has Eric been paying him all this time? Does he have any kind of caretaker to help him, like, buy groceries and make doctor appointments? In the film he's just kind of there and no one questions it.)

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Bloodlust! certainly isn't good, per se, but at least it's based on a story (The Most Dangerous Game) that's good enough to have been adapted to film a couple dozen times. Most of the characters were pretty generic, but the evil big-game hunter was just fine.

Time Chasers has its flaws, but at its core, I find it kind of endearing. Not so much in a Prince of Space kind of way, but more like a Phantom Planet flavor: it's a sci-fi that's very much of its era, doing the best it can with a limited budget.

Space Travelers (AKA Marooned before it got the Film Ventures International treatment) has a perfectly good storyline. (And Oscar-winning special effects!) If only it had any actual characters...

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

The very best DVD commentary track is the one for Star Trek: Insurrection in which Jonathan Frakes and Marina Sirtis (who play Riker and Troi) get plastered and slam the movie almost as hard as MST would. It's glorious. :allears:

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

"Schick Out of Shape", brought to you by Schick!

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Sash! posted:

There has to be thousands of these weird shorts lost to the sands of time. So many were about bland topics presented the weirdest ways possible or chock full of non sequiturs.

I remember watching one about some Antarctic expedition. Why they were showing it to a bunch of kids in the early 90s is unclear to me, but that's what was one of the many pointless films we watched that day in fourth or fifth grade. I vividly remember the URGENT AND POWERFUL description of the guys digging a trench in the snow to...do something and suddenly it cutting to one of the sled dogs digging in the snow and the narrator cheerfully interjecting how "EVEN ROVER LENDS A PAW!" before getting back to the seriousness of America's south pole station and the necessity of defeating the Soviet Menace in the International Geophysical Year or whatever

Was it this one?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=28NYczAuXl4

(The helpful dog lending a paw is at about 10:30.)

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Extruded plastic dingus.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Have you seen my ribcage?

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Her Dryer posted:

Same, I used to really not like the Sci Fi skits but now I think they're pretty decent. Pearl is a very very good mad.

It's actually a little strange to go back and watch the late Comedy Central shows that introduced Pearl. They're good funny bits, but wow, Mary Jo did NOT have her character down yet. Once she wasn't constrained by being Clayton's mom all the time and became the center stage Mad, she just bloomed. :allears:

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

muscles like this! posted:

Does anyone else have any jokes that they either didn't get

Oh, all the time. I doubt there's a person on Earth who would get every single reference.

These days after I watch an episode, I like to look it up on the wiki for the explanation of some of the more obscure riffs.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

It's very likely that there are jokes in this show that the person who wrote the joke has forgotten what exactly they were referring to when they wrote it 30 years ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

"Leonard Maltin awarded the film two and a half out of a possible four stars (his most widely used rating), complimenting the film's use of colors and haunting atmosphere while criticizing the film's acting, dialogue, and simplistic plot."

The hell?!

I've always liked the extended bit during the credits of Laserblast where they look through Maltin's book and compare its rating to actual movies.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VUkMjQuwgDg&t=4350s