Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
It's gonna be weird not having Trace and Kevin as the voices. I can get my Bill/Kevin fix from Rifftrax but hearing other voices coming out of the bots' mouths is gonna be weird the first few episodes.

caligulamprey posted:

Tom's EAT IT, MOVIE rant during Neptune Men is my personal favorite.

bah dah, dah daht dah daaa

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

TL posted:

I've said this before, but Mitchell is actually a decent movie. It's biggest failing is the lack of any sympathetic/likable characters. We're supposed to root for Mitchell, and he's just such a mess you can't.

The movie has no clear beginning, middle, or end. I'm not 100% sure it still isn't going. And it has Joe Don Baker.

Please seek help. :ohdear:

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Burkion posted:

The sad thing about Joe Don Baker is that yeah, he is. He is a fantastic actor

Which means when he's playing a slobby, stupid, ugly, moron of a cop

HE REALLY sells that role

If he didn't have his little feud after Mitchel the riffing in Final Justice wouldn't have been quite so cutthroat though, so hey

That's not acting! That's just him being Joe Don Baker! It doesn't count!

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

RandomPauI posted:

I think he bad guys at the start of riding with death should have molotoved the warehouse immediately after leaving. And molotoved the rear of the truck after "hijacking" the doc.

Doc's gone, gas and explosives burned everything up, clean and clear.

I think someone should've Molotov'd Riding with Death, personally

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Bruceski posted:

Oh this is SO much better than Manos last week. Attack of the giant leeches. "This statue is made of pure orihalcum. I found it while in my rocket powered submarine last week." Actual line, not their addition.

Manos was just bleak, sucked all the energy out of the room. A "good" bad movie has an enthusiasm to it that keeps the energy up. Heck, I even enjoyed Gymkata, for a certain value of "enjoyed".

The Incredible Melting Man was another one of those that just didn't pan out. They need something to work with, you can only kick a truly horrible movie in the junk so many times before you realize it can't feel it.

I don't know why everyone complains about Manos. Future War is the worst one they've done IMO. It made me literally try to eat a pillow. I refuse to watch it to this day.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

What?!

Future War is loving hilarious, easily in my top 10 MST3ks.

egon_beeblebrox posted:

Future War is probably in my top 3. I never really do top lists, but Future War is so great as a riff, it's always one I think of to get people into MST3K.

I don't remember a thing about Future War other than my last thought of warning myself the memory was going to be deleted for a reason.

Seriously I have no idea why that movie made me want to gouge my eyes out but it most certainly did. I mean, I'm quite certain it was funny but the movie itself... yikes.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

muscles like this? posted:

The only episode I absolutely refuse to rewatch is Hamlet. I watched it when it first aired and any subsequent attempts have left me cold.

I see Hamlet as a middle of the road episode that I'm fine with so more than likely my brain is just broken.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Tom Gorman posted:

Episode 1 does feel like they're throwing too many jokes out there and the timing is off.

Overall some genuinely funny moments scattered in there that I legit laughed at Pee Wee Kissinger

I'll probably go through 2 more tonight, don't want to burn through it too fast.

If you don't have Every Country Has a Monster stuck in your head after episode 1 then it's you, you're the monster in your country

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

SamuraiFoochs posted:

That was the moment I fell in love all over again. Also hi Chokes! :) I miss seeing your avatar. :3:

Hello! I don't get out of C-SPAM much these days :3: Also I just assumed the new rapid fire stuff was just Jonah's delivery. He goes through lines FAST but he manages to enunciate all of them clearly. It was that way during his test run with Joel at the reunion show, too.

I'm slowly adjusting to Servo not being Kevin but Gypsy still screws with me every time. It helps that they only give her a few lines in Epsiode 1, so every time she opens her mouth it's BAD NO WRONG AAAAA

also I know I'm supposed to just relax but how did Servo Crow and the SoL get up there again after the original show finale? Did they just rebuild them? Why would Kinga install robots to help keep Jonah sane? It just doesn't make any sense and oh a popcorn bucket *relaxes*

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Magic Hate Ball posted:

"Awww, she's having an aneurysm, it's charming!"

I really like the skull people, they remind me of the Mystic Knights of the Oingo Boingo. The bigger-scale Moon 13 is fun, too, it feels very Forbidden Zone.

kinga forester is a cutie :allears:

Also I somehow had no idea Patton Oswald was TV's Son of TV's Frank. We have a Koenig inside Gizmonics' black sites now. For a brief moment in time, life in 2017 was good for me. :unsmith:

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

General Dog posted:

Looking forward to the Starcrash episode. Starcrash is a pretty good movie straight-up, shame on anyone who hasn't seen it before this.

Gunslinger was a really good movie imo and I'm not sure why Kevin hates it with the power of a million exploding suns. :shrug:

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
Something I missed completely: What is Gypsy delivering and then hauling back in the first episode when she briefly snarks on the film? For the life of me, I couldn't figure it out.

e: is it hamdingers? I bet it's hamdingers

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Pleasing Shape posted:

I'm only 2 1/2 episodes in but maybe it has something to do with the "bad movie goo" that gets loaded into that thing in the moon base at the end of each episode? I kinda hope it's not explained and it's just an excuse to get Gypsy in the theater. She's batting 1.000 on the riffs so far.

It's just weird. Is she just doing ship upkeep? Who knows.

Also fun fact: Arby (the guy in the suit delivering the movie) is actually Joel :3:

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
I feel like everything falls flat when they're forcefully cramming jokes into every available silence. The action sequences in Reptilicus and the beginning of Cry Wilderness are particularly bad in this respect. They need to slow down a bit and actually let the jokes hit.

Two episodes in and I'm finding more to like than dislike, though. I feel like Reptilicus was the stronger of the first two episodes and "Bulimicus!" gave me the biggest laugh so far. Sometimes it's the little things.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Magic Hate Ball posted:

A few episodes in and wondering if they shot these chronologically because already Avalanche feels way more natural than Reptilicus, which had a kind of overbearing franticness to the riffing. I do wish they'd slow down a little, sometimes Jonah spits out a riff so fast I can barely understand what he's saying.

The grunting orange tree in Time Travellers had me crying.

I mentioned this earlier but Jonah can do rapid fire without losing enunciation. It's just his style for riffing. But, yeah, for Reptilicus they were doing the riffs so fast it was hard to keep up. It worked really well with the clock and temperature gauge joke, though.

I have a theory the first episode's riffs feel rushed because they took extra time to set up the back story. With an extra ten minutes they don't have to cram in quite so much between skits.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
One thing I haven't mentioned is Kinga's birth of Venus entrance during the intro. :3: I hope she just stands on the platform whenever she goes somewhere and her henchman push her around to places, even when she's getting on and off spaceships.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
Also, I was singing the theme under my breath in a line today and stopped to =~) when I realized I just did the line "keep in mind Jonah can't control" without realizing it.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Magic Hate Ball posted:

It makes it sound like he's desperate to get the joke out, which kinda kills the humor.

To each their own v:shobon:v

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
JUST GIVE US THE KEYS YOU STUPID MAN

Also was happy to see Mary Jo, Kevin, and Bill. It's good to see the old cast hand off the ball like that, even if Mike would rather eat broken glass than be involved in it :v:

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Jack Gladney posted:

He seems amenable to it, even if he's not interested in appearing. He's been a big part of the promotion of the kickstarter and series.

Oh cool. I remember there being bitterness over the royalties to the old series, but I also know Frank said they'd make sure to cut in old alums this time.

I'd like to see Mike on the show, I just don't know how poisoned the well is between him and Joel. I'm probably making poo poo up, but they still seemed tense during the reunion show.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Random Stranger posted:

I want Mike to appear as Mike with another Crow and Tom who sound like Bill and Kevin and the old and new crew meeting just confuses the hell out of everybody.

Throw in a third crow voiced by Trace and I'll send money to any kickstarter you want.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

LabyaMynora posted:

Thanks, this was driving me nuts.

Also, random thought - The Beast of Hollow Mountain makes me believe that somewhere out there is a movie that begins as a Dinosaur/Giant Monster movie and ends as a Western Melodrama. I'm pretty sure that through some mixup, two scripts ended up swapping their third acts.

(slowly looks up from a copy of cowboys versus aliens' script with a distant expression)

We've made a terrible mistake.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
I'm only ("only") on Starcrash right now, and I think my favorite moment of the whole series so far is Kinga's and Max's baffled expressions at the end as to whether or not they drove them insane or they always act like that

Just a fun moment of "oh god what the gently caress did we get ourselves into"

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Evil Mastermind posted:

"We've either driven them insane or turned them into eight-year-olds."

It's especially funny because the experiment subjects have typically outlasted at least one or more mads, in Mike's case literally outliving Dr. F. It's basically gotten to the point now where the subject in the Experiment is more dangerous than the Experiment itself.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
guys I'm beginning to think Kinga is not very good at her job

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Mantis42 posted:

Lowtax is a waste.

Lowtax is a MES(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
hercuLEAP

e: what... what was the end of that. what were they doing

oh god why are the mads doing it what is

did I go insane, did they, what is going on

Chokes McGee fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Apr 21, 2017

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

fsif posted:

Just watched the first half of Reptilicus and I'm legitimately shocked that this reboot is as good as it is. I had totally checked out because I was certain an MST3K revival would be a disaster.

Fair to say this season is well received by fans, yeah? Is the rest of the season as good as the first episode so far?

The next few rocket up in quality immediately, and by the time you hit the Hercules movie (appropriately enough, given the initial series' herc movies were all incredible) they're firing on all cylinders.

Kinga in particular seemed a little uneasy, but by the herc episode, she's established her character. The moment I started finally seeing her as a mad was when she screamed at the top of her lungs right in Max's face and then turned back around to calmly address Jonah. Just think, soon she'll be killing Max for the first time. They grow up so fast :kimchi:

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
I'm probably projecting but I think even the cast was having problems at first not being the character that came before them, and Crow's VA still can't get away from sounding like Trace despite trying in rehearsals. It takes them a bit to find their own thing but they eventually figure it out.

Also I love how the guys distract themselves with the most inane poo poo when Kinga and Max are doing a sketch. The Marco Polo one got me because it's just so incredibly random.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Bruteman posted:

There are a couple of episodes that show they remove oxygen from the rest of the ship (they did this to Mike I think?), and the Mads can shock people who aren't in the theater (pretty sure this was a Joel episode).

Yeah, the mads force compliance and shutting off oxygen is their most common play. In the movie, Dr. F chases then back in by shooting lasers out of an interocitor. Jonah also mentions Kinga zaps him with cattle prods if he doesn't do the show open after they Hoover him up.

So basically going along with it is a lot less painful than not.

Chokes McGee fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Apr 21, 2017

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Crazy Ferret posted:

Holy poo poo, the end of The Loves of Hercules

God bless this very silly silly show

I still don't know what triggered that from the movie but I couldn't stop laughing for a good three minutes afterwards and I still have no earthly idea what happened

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
"Slam it on a grill and cram it in your face hole" is my current favourite line of both the old and new series.

bad posts ahead!!! posted:

Why does going into hyperspace blow your clothes off piece by piece?

*extremely Tom servo voice* Why wouldn't it?

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Bicyclops posted:

This revival is so loving good, I am going to be so happy if Netflix gives them a green light.

I seriously don't see how they don't at this point. Built-in fanbase, constant replay watchings, and they basically self funded their first season. It's a license to print money.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Mokinokaro posted:

Watch Space Mutiny and Werewolf. They're classics.

Edit: Pumaman, Future War and Time Chasers are up there as well.

Add Jack Frost to the list.

Do not watch Future War under any circumstance, even being held at gunpoint. You've been warned.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Cracks me the gently caress up every time.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

boner confessor posted:

future war has Robert loving Z'Dar in it, gently caress you!

I know a lot of people like it for some unfathomable, incomprehensible reason but the only thing I remember about it was boxes, Z'Dar's chin, and the plot being so God awful I started chewing on a couch pillow halfway through.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Gavok posted:

You just reminded me of the time Oswalt started tweeting stuff like "I just deleted the offending tweet. I apologize for all the Native Americans I offended" in response to nothing and people would get super offended over a tweet that never existed in the first place. I always thought that was pretty funny.

I will never bad mouth a Koenig so Oswalt's a ok by me.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Jet Jaguar posted:

Nobody knows what "the payload" is other than Joel, it is part of some multi-year payoff

This is offhandedly going to be explained as a cooler full of snacks in two years and you know it. :haw:

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
Jonah's okay right? Like the spacewalk at the end was after the botched wedding, not in remembrance :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
Are we going to get another season, Jonah escaped :ohdear: