Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

Did you ever wonder where the Romans got bread from? It wasn't from Waitrose!

egon_beeblebrox posted:

I hope they do one of those weird 70s British safety videos, where all the kids die terribly. I saw one with Donald Pleasence voicing Death, and it was amazing.

I would be all over this -- for a selection of the sorts of films that scarred Mr Boods' 1970s British childhood, enjoy:

https://twohundredpercent.net/the-10-scariest-public-information-films-of-all-time/

Don't worry if some of the links don't work -- you should be able easily to find the other films out there on YouTube, DailyMotion, etc.

'Lonely Water' is one of Donald P's finest hours.

'The Finishing Line' is absolutely batshit.

'Apaches' gave him nightmares as a kid, and is one of the most infamous of them (the various ways to die on a farm. I've spoiled stuff because it can be a bit awful even to read about, so be warned if you're squeamish or sensitive: including death in a slurry pit, and a horrific off-camera poisoning scene )

Some of these, whilst totally batshit and terrifying might be too terrifying to show even as Riffs, considering a lot of little kids watch the show.

The absolutely worst PSA I was shown as a 6 year old was one about stranger danger/kidnapping from strangers, and was actually a film made in the early 1960s to warn adults . I saw it around 1971 or 72 as a school assembly film and consequently had nightmares for months. Partly because of the scenario, partly from not understanding what the hell I was seeing, and partly from the film ending with actual police photos of the murdered girls featured in the film .

It took me years to identify the latter film, but when I finally found it online, like 40 years later, it was still terrifying. Why in the living name of gently caress our school principle chose to show this to 500 6-9 years olds is beyond me.

More info on the British safety films (link opens to the Guardian newspaper, with a still of a boy who's face is a bit bloodied):

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2010/nov/25/stop-look-listen-public-information-films

Bizarrely, the British, at least Mr Boods and other adults who've told me about these films, regard them with a mix of horror and affection.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

y'all just gonna mention scary Public Information Films with no mention of the GOAT eh
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s1PP2_AaeRc

It's #3 on the list I linked.

Why don't they look...Ralph. Why don't they look.

:j:

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

Now we have to know the name of the stranger danger film.

I had to go searching for it again (so my search history looks just great at the moment)

It's called The Child Molester and there is no way it would ever show up on MST3k

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0387927/?ref_=tt_urv

Meanwhile, I'm going to soothe my soul with a made for TV hippie.

Ms Boods fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Nov 28, 2021

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

Is it poss just to rent one of the new experiements off the Gismoplex? I wasn't able to contribute to the Kickstarter, but saw that you can rent episodes for 7 days for like $5. We tried last night (Robot Wars, yeah!) on several different browsers, but the 'complete order' button remained greyed out.

There was a 'by clicking below' notification by the 'complete order' button, but no tick box of button for that. What am I doing wrong :( I just want to decide who lives and who dies ::weeps like Tom Servo:::

Ta!

(PS -- Is it because we don't have a promo code?)

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

Neddy Seagoon posted:

You should be able to, I rented Robot Wars and Atlantis just this past week.

And experienced Munchie tonight :shepface:.

I know -- hence my lament: I don't know why the 'complete order' button stays greyed out.

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

I Am Fowl posted:

I mean the movie also ends on the Melting Man getting scooped into a trash can by a janitor. That's either an incredibly bleak ending to a horror film or a goddamn slide whistle on a horror-comedy. As they chose to make it a serious horror film, it became the former.

I'm old, so I remember seeing adverts/trailers for the film on TV. I was about 11 or so, and my nephew 8, and we thought it was both terrifying and the funniest thing ever (neither of us were allowed to go see it). We played our version of The Incredible Melting Man for months after that; he made a very good melting man as I recall.

Also, huzzah, success -- Mr Boods sussed the issues I was having with the Gismoplex, and we watched Robot Wars this evening. Really liking how the pacing of the riffs is less frenetic and more comfortable. (Spotted one missed opportunity, when someone in the film early on yelled 'Chief!' Instinctive response on my part: McCloud!)

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

Does anyone need more Reba?

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

Re: the poster who got to turn their crank to Frank -- one of my greatest life's joys was flying into San Francisco International Airport (for a conference a few years back, not to convince my parents not to divorce or anything).

My airport, my way. :smug:

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

Mister Kingdom posted:

"The answer, my friend, is blow it out your rear end" is one of the greatest riffs ever.

It never, ever fails to catch me off guard and make me laugh (along with the increasingly vile gastric noises from Overdrawn at the Memory Bank).

Sydney Bottocks posted:

Did you get accosted by a portly character actor, who was stuffing his face with diet gum? :v:

I was too busy running through the airport in my good Republican cloth coat looking for my son.

And I have only eyes for Clu Gulager :swoon:

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

Yay, Deathstalker! We watched the cinematic version of Deathstalker, which was brilliant (before the cinematic versions of MST3K sadly all disappeared; I would absolutely love to see more of them).

I put my

own beats

into the

script

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

We watched 'Munchie' last night. :kingsley:The reaction to Munchie's first appearance on screen :kingsley:

Loads of fun, that one. I pointed out to Mr Boods that Arte Johnson's OTT facial make-up (especially around his nose) disappeared after his initial scene. (Was waiting the entire film for a 'Very interesting...but stupid').

Really liking how the riff pacing for this series is so much better and less frenetic/stepping on each other's lines.

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

muscles like this! posted:

Speaking of short sketches I also love the specialty bread one after Out of This World.

I have a normal loaf of bread but it comes to sharp point.

Then you, my friend, have a speciality bread.

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

We watched the recording of the Pumaman stream last night. Mr Boods is British and kept arguing that is is pronounced 'pyuma-man.'

I hadn't seen it in a while, so the biggest spontaneous laugh from me was the 'Boog Powell is more catlike than this guy!' having grown up an Orioles fan.

I'm pretty sure the last time I saw this was in one of the Gary in Motion videos, because I recall a heck of a lot more with the guy in the personal fire engine (I so, so regret not getting the chance to see more of the GiM versions).

Such good fun -- I'm looking forward to their revisit of the Wild World of Batwoman.

ETA -- Good grief, Boog is still alive! And causing coronaries with his barbeque :3 (I haven't lived out in the USA for over 10 years now, and for some reason I thought he had died.)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boog_Powell

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

Tom's 'Unfortunately, now we're in orbit' riff is going to go into heavy rotation on every future road trip.

The can-can lady (and her plot) was creepy enough, but there were a few sequences where the actress was acting quite naturally; we kept wondering if somehow she'd come out of her trance, and that the plot would actually advance/develop. Nope.

Tickets?

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

Not gonna lie, I find myself saying 'To Wendys!' quite often just after I start to pull away from the drive/carpark space.

It's high time to revisit Overdrawn at the Memory Bank; the escalation of eating & gastic noises never fails to get me giggling helplessly.

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

Revisted Devil Fish for the first time in probably 20+ years -- it's one that I haven't much seen (we watched the cinematic version). Honestly remembered nothing about it aside from it being Italians pretending to be from Florida, and wondering how in the heck they got the USCG footage/cooperation.

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

Dr_Strangelove posted:

We spent a week in Seattle in April. When I saw the Pacific Science Center, you’re drat right I said in a reverent tone, “THE CHURCH OF SCIENCE.”

I made the most of my time in San Francisco International Airport a few years back when I flew out there for a conference.

'The answer, my friend, is blow it out your arse.'

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

Mister Kingdom posted:

"The answer, my friend, is blow it out your rear end" is easily a top five riff.

It never, ever fails to catch me off guard no matter how many times I've seen this one. I've mentioned this before, but one of my all-time faves, up there with the food/eating noises from Overdrawn at the Memory Bank.

Been catching up with this thread; all of the angry, impatient, exasperated riffs are faves, as well. And when Mike genuinely falls to bits laughing (the Creeper movie, I think, is one of the best for that here).

Teenage Crimewave has a weird place in my heart because Terry/the actress is almost the exact age of my mother. I was a late baby and only really knew my mum as a middle aged through to early 90s-year-old-woman, so for me, those 1940s teen pictures are fascinating. Not that I imagine that my mother led a crimewave that involved kidnapping a farm family at Thanksgiving, mind. It's hard to explain -- kind of like how my dad is the age of 'Brother' in the Out Our Way comics.

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

I let Mr Boods pick the MST3K last night, and he went with a cinematic version of Code Name: Diamondhead --crikey, I realised I hadn't seen this particular episode in any form for about 25 years!

LOVEJOY!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

The increasinly vile eating noises/riffs from Overdrawn never, ever fail to get me laughing into a mild asthma attack.

That and the old prospector from Final Sacrifice. (I've just started laughing just from typing that and woke up the cat).

KNOW HIM? HE WAS DELICIOUS!