Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I've never been wild about the Jonah version of the song's "la la la's" being rendered in trumpets. Kinda sucks all the air out of the joke

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

ringu0 posted:

Bring back the Twang!

There's a lot of "Sound that you hear at 1:45AM when you can barely keep your eyes open" in my mind's experience but the twang is maybe the topmost

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Trying to imagine the in-universe justification for getting them all back together.

Don't know how they can do it without adding like ridiculous amounts of lore and backstory

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I Am Fowl posted:

They improve pretty quickly.

Yeah, my main gripe about them is that they're paced too fast generally and, more specifically, they're too trigger-happy. They don't feel like reactions to what's on the screen, they bust them out the very instant the thing on screen happens. Like, make it feel like we're all in the audience together and watching this trainwreck for the first time, and all struggling to find the right snide comment to make about what has just appeared on the screen. It takes a second to come up with something, otherwise it feels too rehearsed.

But yeah, they do get better with it, and to be fair I've gone back and watched even some Joel ones that riff too quickly.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

All the custom art in the host segments were like ":stare: holy poo poo they're really giving it all they've got"

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Dawgstar posted:

Well now I have to hear them cover Idiot Control Now.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I dunno, the Jonah credits with their elevator-music versions of Creepy Girl and so on are threatening to make them less funny for me

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Are we deliberately forgetting "they hired a temp by the name of Mike"? They can rewrite the lyrics however they want :psyduck:

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

BooDooBoo posted:

It's not so much that, it's that "Emily" is 3 syllables, but "Joel", "Mike", and "Jonah" aren't, so the regular structure of the song can't fit her in.
They'll have to rewrite of course, but HOW!?
"...and her name was Emily" would fit the rhyming scheme though.

There is no "regular structure of the song"

Every name is handled differently

The only place it's historically been at all consistent would be "Now keep in mind EMILY can't control where the movies begin or end", but they can just do "she" if they can't spit it out that fast

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

There are a few things I do get grognardy about in the Netflix opening and hope they manage to be a little less cargo-cult about this time around:

- The pause in the song when Jonah decides to go help, no sir, I don't like it

- "I'll send him cheesy movies" — the camera is pulled so far back you can't even see that it's Kinga saying the line. Make it a close-up, preferably with gross old film reels or projectors or VHS tapes or figure out some way to do a "digital streaming" visual joke, don't make it an establishing shot, drat. That's like legit bad directing

- The "la la las" as trumpets as I mentioned before, and the mad drumming during robot roll call, like just calm down ffs; I guess I just don't know about the whole "house band" concept (though "Skeleton Crew" is a good gag), it feels rather tonally inconsistent in a way I can't really articulate

I don't know, "overproduced" is a word that gets bandied about but in the case of this kind of lo-fi thing it's really easy to ruin it by putting one more dollar into it than you should have

e: the band holding saxophones up to their closed helmets and pretending to play them as they sway around, I guess that might be intended to be "ironically stupid", but it just looks stupid

And also like I mentioned the retro instrumental versions of songs like "Creepy Girl" felt really fun when the whole idea was nostalgic wallowing like "hey we brought it back against all odds", but after a while it just started to grate, like they were milking it for every commercial break

e: and another thing, how does he eat and breathe

Data Graham fucked around with this message at 14:57 on May 12, 2021

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I missed the Emily backstory but what’s the reason it’s not just more Jonah?

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Angry_Ed posted:

Of all the celestial objects they pick one that has literally nothing to do with the power set of "become invisible"

Much like choosing the puma as your superhero theme because of its ability to fly

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Zamboni Rodeo posted:

Skydivers is my favorite of the Coleman Francis episodes, probably because it's more coherent than the other two (despite Frank describing it as being "kind of like Manos, but without the lucid plot"). It also has one of my favorite shorts ever, Why Study Industrial Arts?

TOOL OPERATOR

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I think Avalanche is pretty watchable, ngl.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I mean they really got their drat money's worth with that skeleton they swiped from the high school science building

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

History channel circa 1996: mother fucker

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Lol if you don't work your way up to best boy from worst boy.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

Being From Another Planet is on Svengoolie tonight and I just learned that the actual title is Time Walker and the mst3k version’s title is a huge spoiler. You’re not supposed to know the mummy is an alien until the end. It’s like terminator 2’s trailer spoiling that Arnold is a good guy.

Being from another planet, I

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Tommy Torso

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

Go! Team! Go!

That whole Club Scum (ie. someone's school cafeteria) segment is gold.

I rewatched the video where Joel, Emily and Emily's bots watch Hobgoblins and it's my favourite of their riff-along videos, largely because Hobgoblins is apparently Emily's favourite episode and she's just so god drat excited for everything and that energy carries on to the rest of the crowd.

Plus it's fun to see Joel, Nate and Conor be constantly amazed and amused by how awful the Hobgoblin puppets are.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hugO9coWrw0

In case someone hasn't seen it

There's something great about having the other riffers able to laugh in real-time response. Laughter is infectious, and some of the funniest things I've ever seen are when a comedian loses their composure and breaks down laughing over something. MST3K canonically never has any "diegetic" laughter but watching this stream where they all get to laugh at each other's jokes really makes me wonder what it might always have been missing.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Surely Christopher Plummer in Starcrash

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Is that just his idle face

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I always want to say "side hack" instead of "side hustle"

Thanks MST3K

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Joel will be one of the mads

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

What's Trace's deal anyway? Is it my imagination or does he seem really down on the whole concept lately? I saw that live stage show that got everybody together and it seemed like he kept making 90s-style trans jokes

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Bet this 2017 TV show is going "nnnghey" and loosening its collar https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gypsy_(TV_series)

(or would be if it hadn't been quickly cancelled)

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Kind of the whole point of MST3K is that, with episodes being ~90m, you really only settle in for one at a time, and you're going to be getting one out of a grab bag. Bingeing makes no sense any more than it makes sense to binge all the movies in the "Edgy 90s Drama" scrolling row

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

They did keep riffing on the bots' names for each other after they came back into the theater if that's what's pinging your brain.

(If I recall; that may be the very first MST3K episode I ever saw, and it was like 1996)

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

muscles like this! posted:

Watching The Atomic Brain and have to laugh at the extremely meta invention exchange where Trace plays Crow pretending to be Dr F and then Dr F pretending to be Crow with neither one getting the voice exactly right.

There's not much I find funnier than voice actors doing impressions of other voice actors, unless it's voice actors doing a character making fun of another of their characters

Like Stan doing his Cartman impression

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

quote:

now-defunct

fuuuuuuuckdammit

And just when I'd finally mastered being able to mumblingly rattle off "So you don't play ball like Sammy Sosa, so you'll never fly to Toronto, rent a Miata, drive to the border, go in a barrel down Niagara Falls" while someone in the car stares at me in confusion

e: oh well, there's always "the mister resisted, the sister persisted, when I kissed her all loyalty slipped, when she said I could have her, her sister's cadaver must surely have turned in its crypt, yes yes yes yeeees"

Data Graham fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Jun 14, 2022

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I’m not sure what to make of the elaborate art-department props in the host segments in the Netflix era. On one hand they’re really well drawn and clearly made with most of the per-episode budget, but … on the other hand they’re really well drawn and clearly made with most of the per-episode budget.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Imagined posted:

Oh yeah 'Forbidden Planet' is an all-time classic I'd recommend anyone watch unironically. It's a legit masterpiece, and some of the effects, set design, and art are mindblowing even to this day especially considering what they were working with. The music, in particular, is incredible.

This part in particular is cool as gently caress I don't care what year it is
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0UrG3Fx69Ws

I'm sorry but if someone can't dig this then they're no sci-fi fan.

I actually think the way their guns work and stuff feels more sci-fi and futuristic than a lot of later stuff that's objectively "better".

Also for people who are in their 40s and 50s, it's fun to see Leslie Neilson when he was a young, serious leading-man and not a comedian.

Holy poo poo yeah, those beams look rad, and that's some legit character animation on that monster.

quote:

The animated sequences of Forbidden Planet, especially the attack of the Id Monster, were created by veteran animator Joshua Meador,[17] who was loaned to MGM by Walt Disney Productions. According to a "Behind the Scenes" featurette on the film's DVD, a close look at the creature shows it to have a small goatee beard, suggesting its connection to Dr. Morbius

It's always been morbin time

But looooool at the guys just sort of casually holding the guns and pointing them vaguely up in the air and shifting their grip because they're clearly not even trying to look like they're shooting, but they animated the beams coming off them anyway :lol:

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Well, that and all the transphobia.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I learned so much about medieval Russian culture on a wiki rabbithole grind sparked by that movie.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Lol remember Gung Ho?

Chinese, Japanese, whatever

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

pyoo-MAY-man

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Justin Credible posted:

I think you really hit on something with the 'the writing' section on how rushed everything was, and the importance of having lots of time to rehearse for performance. There is also that dude who said he helped write the show under the comments, pretty illuminating and I don't have much reason to doubt what's presented.

I love this level of behind-the-scenes insight. It wasn't obvious to me while watching, but it definitely makes sense in retrospect that some of the best humor from early MST3K is how eclectic the sources for comedy are, how out-of-left-field the jokes are. Like you'd go from a joke about the Roman Empire to a joke about Transformers to a joke about the Packers to a reference to a Hitchcock movie to a joke about ionic bonds to a brief riff on a 70s pop song. Part of the delight of watching is the exercise your mind gets trying to rapidly change gears so fast. If you stay in one gear the whole time screaming at redline (i.e. a bunch of guys all trying to make the same STYLE of joke) it just gets tiring without being exhilarating.

Also whether or not you have a big writing team it's kind of key to the texture of the show that it feel like it's this small, tight-knit group of three or four nerds who all know each other and each other's foibles really well. Taking a list of 10,000 jokes and just randomly assigning them to different characters as nameless conduits for unmoored gags loses the whole aspect of "this is a joke at Tom's expense" or "I know Mike hates this kind of joke so I'm going to make it to annoy him" or "this joke is part of a running gag we've all shared for 20 years".

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

R-O-B-O-T

“Rump!”

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Keromaru5 posted:

Pod People's part French!

(Which actually explains the "It stinks!" gesture. In France, the "OK" sign is an insult.)

:aaaaa:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Clearly more of a president