Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Time Dissolver
Nov 7, 2012

Are you a good person?
They did Phase IV on KTMA, that movie owns. Though of course the poor quality of the image and sound effectively cuts the legs out from under it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Time Dissolver
Nov 7, 2012

Are you a good person?
It's the DEVIL and it's FUN!

The Time Dissolver
Nov 7, 2012

Are you a good person?

Rollersnake posted:

Similarly, Tom Servo's perfectly-timed scream in the "buzz off, kid" scene in Mitchell.

I love that off the cuff quality where the jokes don't even have to be jokes. Even just a withering sigh at the right time can be gutbusting. I hope the writers of the MST3k revival can see that and find a way to recapture it because Rifftrax sure hasn't. It's okay but you can feel every riff being pitched, honed, approved, rehearsed, etc.

The Time Dissolver
Nov 7, 2012

Are you a good person?
Trace's and Bill's voices both fit Crow so equally well. I definitely think I will get used to the new guy too, from what little I have heard. New Servo is a drastic change but I'm trying to remain optimistic.

The Time Dissolver
Nov 7, 2012

Are you a good person?
Some eggs don't even exist.

The Time Dissolver
Nov 7, 2012

Are you a good person?

The Time Dissolver
Nov 7, 2012

Are you a good person?
The "matches for Mikey" sketch is a masterpiece.

The Time Dissolver
Nov 7, 2012

Are you a good person?
Manos was my introduction to it, then I checked out some of the other Rhino stuff out at that time: Eegah, Mitchell, The Crawling Hand, The Atomic Brain. Of which Mitchell was probably the best. Somewhere along the line I found out SciFi was still rerunning it, and the first chance I had to check those out it was Final Sacrifice and Boggy Creek II, which convinced me I had to see every episode.

The Time Dissolver
Nov 7, 2012

Are you a good person?
I'd have an ear that would cover me like a shroud! And a thumb the size of a juggling pin! But not on my hand...

The Time Dissolver
Nov 7, 2012

Are you a good person?
I'm sure it's funny, but riffing almost seems like the exact wrong way to go about having fun with a Godfrey Ho film. Would much rather watch a RLM-style panel discussion interspersed with clips or even just a supercut of the weirdest moments.

The Time Dissolver
Nov 7, 2012

Are you a good person?
Was watching Danger Death Ray. "If Michael Caine and Andre the Giant had a child" and the noises of disgust when a character orders a "double Cointreau" are two of the most devastatingly dead-on riffs in the whole series.

The Time Dissolver
Nov 7, 2012

Are you a good person?

Bicyclops posted:

Rewatching this show, there's one thing that really has surprised me about it: for a show that's built around making snide remarks about old, cheesy movies, it's almost entirely devoid of cynicism. There's kind of a boldness to the whole thing that isn't edgy. The invention exchanges with Joel are basically magic tricks your goofy uncle might do ("Wow! How'd he make the milk disappear! Look, he split his head from his body!"), there are corny, running gag catchphrases, it has homemade puppets in literal pageant sketch comedy, and the entire set looks like a fun, high school play craft project. They read letters from kids and show the drawings. Even for the early 90s, there's a kind of genuine love for dorky, square dad humor that sets it apart from most things.

This is the number one thing I'm worried about the reboot not getting, along with its loose slacker jazziness that is hard to put into words. It's the product of a huge, sustained wave of geek hype and will be handled by Professional Comedy Writers, yet it needs to not be ceremonious or up its own rear end AT ALL or else it's just doing exactly what every other bad-movie program out there does.

The Time Dissolver
Nov 7, 2012

Are you a good person?
Seconding the shorts.

The Time Dissolver
Nov 7, 2012

Are you a good person?
MST3k is sort of the exception to "references aren't jokes!!!!" although I admit I got a sinking feeling when I heard they hired loving Ernest Cline.

The Time Dissolver
Nov 7, 2012

Are you a good person?
What's the tune Crow and Tom sing during Monster a Go Go? "Hum, didee-dee... Hooah-hooah"

The Time Dissolver
Nov 7, 2012

Are you a good person?

This is 4 absolute classics, can't believe they were in the same volume :aaa:

The Time Dissolver
Nov 7, 2012

Are you a good person?
I always assumed Gypsy was supposed to be snake-like and popping out of holes in the floor, wall, etc. and traveling around the ship through tubes and vents to wherever she needed to be. Cool to see they're doing something with that apparently.

The Time Dissolver
Nov 7, 2012

Are you a good person?
Bobo for me falls under "so annoying it's funny", but I still sort of wish there had been more to him. Observer I like a lot, the dynamic between him and Pearl is really fun, whereas Bobo just seems like a liability and it's not clear why they even keep him around.

The Time Dissolver
Nov 7, 2012

Are you a good person?
I've gone on about this in at least one other thread, but Manos would be way less clunky if they hadn't made their dubbing job as hard as possible for themselves by almost ALWAYS pointing the camera at who's talking. There are plenty of shoestring movies from that era with no location sound and something they have in common is that their most cinematically engaging scenes happen when they're trying to minimize the need for lip sync and so they put the camera anywhere but in the face of an actor delivering a line.

The Time Dissolver
Nov 7, 2012

Are you a good person?

Julet Esqu posted:

The guy who made Clonus claimed to be cool with it, but you can totally tell he's secretly still kind of pissed.

He had his film butchered in the first place anyway, so definitely some complexity there.

The Time Dissolver
Nov 7, 2012

Are you a good person?
The cheerleaders suggest that we GO!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Time Dissolver
Nov 7, 2012

Are you a good person?
Was just remembering the riff from Manos where Torgo says to Margaret, "dOn'T WoRrY MaDaM, I'lL PrOtEcT YoU" and Joel absolutely deadpans, "'Cause there's some weird people around here."