Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Pictured: The Wolf Of Gubbio (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Sash! posted:

The dumbest mandate. Young Man's Fancy, Day at the Fair, the Auto Show Whatever the Hell that was, KEEPING NEAT AND CLEAN, Are You Ready for Marriage, the one where Union Pacific implores us to not get run over by trains, the time a demon and an angel battle for the soul of a bread delivery man, and that kid that cheated on the test outstrip many of the full length movies in awesome riffs.

Don't forget the one where Union Pacific warns us that the causes of accidents are joy, sex, and old age.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

I was just watching The Gunslinger the other day, and was pleasantly surprised to notice they use the same sound effect when Dr. F. is trying to explode Frank's head, Scanners-style.

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Bicyclops posted:

I genuinely wish I could watch a big budget Hollywood movie that was mostly intended as a serious genre piece that out of nowhere just has a huge monster stomp his way into the movie during like the last fifth.

I guess the closest I can think of is when, halfway through the psychological mystery of The Forgotten, some guy just flies off into the sky in the middle of talking.
Personally, I've always wanted to see an otherwise grounded, real-world movie, like a crime drama or a romantic comedy, where one of the characters just happens to be played by a Muppet. Not even an existing Muppet, either. Instead of simply hiring an actor, they would just have Jim Henson's shop construct one. No one ever calls attention to it, it's never relevant to the plot, it's just how they decided to fill that role.

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

I completely forgot about that. That gives me a reason to rewatch Kimmy Schmidt.

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

The main thing I always remember about Future War is Forrest J. Ackerman's cameo.

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

I'm Crow's friend Timmy.

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

It makes me feel all... squishy.

That's actually how my dad labeled that episode when he taped it off Comedy Central: "The Violent Years/Squishy"

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

I found them jarring at first, but after a while they kind of grew on me. One thing I hope they return to in Season 2 is alternating between movie and commercial sign for host segments. It's hard to say for certain, but I felt like opening and closing them with the tunnel sequences may have affected the pacing a little.

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Burkion posted:

Also, you DO remember that Nightmare Fuel both predates MST3K, and has been used by MST3K before right? Hell I'm pretty sure the old chat groups back in the 90s when the episode were new used the term a lot. They've made a few jokes, in Joel and Mike's era, about something being Pure Unfiltered Nightmare Fuel.
I believe the term is "High Octane Nightmare Fuel," which is how Mike described the frightening laughing wind-up reindeer in Santa Claus.

To be honest, Kinga's use of it bugged me a little at first, but after a few episodes, I caught on that it was just a thing they were doing, and let it go.

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Well, and the translation/dub quality, which often obscures the actual folklore they're adapting. Case in point: The Magic Voyage of Sinbad, which has nothing at all to do with Sinbad.

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

mangler103 posted:

I feel like Overdrawn at the Memory Bank, were it remade today with just a light rewrite, and removal of all of the animal stock footage, could be a pretty solid movie.

It was a halfway decent short story. I read it once in a Best SF of 1970-something collection. All I really remember right now is that there's no Fatman and no Casablanca stuff.

Apparently the same PBS station that made this also did an adaptation of The Lathe of Heaven that I've heard is fairly well-regarded.

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

My dad just told me he has the Lathe of Heaven adaptation and can let me borrow it. Score!

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

I'm watching Deathstalker and the Warriors from Hell for the first time in forever, and I just noticed none other...

...than Miguel Ángel Fuentes, better known as Vadinho in The Pumaman!

It's great when you can still find something new in an old show.

*EDIT* Wait, one of the stars of this movie is Trump's ambassador to Denmark?

Keromaru5 fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Jan 12, 2018

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Don't forget the "failed TV pilot" category. Or, in an overlap with the "foreign film undone by translation," there's "Sandy Frank stuffs a whole Japanese TV series into two hours."

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Three stick out in my mind at the moment:

1) In 'I Accuse My Parents,' the segment where the bots draw their ideal families. "My mom is Hayley Mills, my dad is Gigantor, and my mom is Peggy Cass."

2) Mike and the bots' cheesy political 'satire' revue.

3) Aaron Spelling's house.

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Currently watching The Incredible Melting Man, and the host segments are a great reminder of just how bitter they were about dealing with the studio for MST3K: The Movie.

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Clayton with the water cooler jug: "Mother, I think I can get my whole head in here."

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

"Today is dedicated to Uranus." Crow: "Well, thank you, I'm fla...uh, huh?"

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Same, but Girls Town.

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

LEAVE THE BRONX

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Hail the Truck Farmer!

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

I think they've already done most of the Gamera movies worth riffing. The 90's trilogy and Gamera the Brave are in a whole other league.

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

My dream riffs are of Godzilla's Revenge and Godzilla vs. the Smog Monster, if Toho would let them. I'd really prefer the original 70's dub of Smog Monster, since that's the one with an English version of "Save the Earth," but the movie's trippy and weird enough regardless.

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

One of the best MST experiences I've ever had was watching RZC with a Cuban friend of a friend. He loved that episode.

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

For my money, Pearl, Bobo, and Brain Guy didn't come into their own until they got to Castle Forrester. For one, it meant they'd dropped the network-mandated storylines. That in turn mean they had more flexibility, closer to Dr. F and Frank, where one minute they're inventing the Recomfy Bike, and another they're sitting on the couch, eating ice cream, and watching "Vicki."

(I have a soft spot for moments when the bots or Mads start acting like Midwestern housewives.)

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Part of what makes those Sandy Frank movies so rough is that they weren't simply a few episodes in a row made to look like one movie, like with Master Ninja and San Francisco International. They were cobbled together from entire 13 to 26-episode TV series. Stories that originally had a lot of time to breathe wound up crammed into a few hours with a lot of important scenes glossed over.

I have no idea if any of their uncut versions were remotely any good, though Mighty Jack was produced by one of the creators of Godzilla and Ultraman.

For comparison, when Japanese producers decided to make a compilation movie out of Mobile Suit Gundam's 43 episodes, they made it a trilogy.

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Update on the MST Live Tour!

The gist of it: They went with Deathstalker I thinking they couldn't get the rights for Deathstalker II. There is a lot of sex in Deathstalker I, but they figured they could edit that out. Turned out when they did, it was only about 53 minutes. So they checked back, and it turned out they could get the rights to Deathstalker II, which doesn't have the problems the first movie does. So it's not going to be Deathstalker I anymore, but rather Deathstalker II.

Also, apparently Joel picked Wizards of the Lost Kingdom 2 sight unseen because of the title. Fortunately, that worked out for the best.

Deathstalker.

(Cerebro.)

Keromaru5 fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Jul 30, 2018

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Ever read that issue of Deadpool where he and Blind Al go back in time into a Lee/Romita issue of Amazing Spider-Man? It's like that.

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

I tried Lost Skeleton of Cadavra and the sequel, but mostly felt the pacing was off. Several bits just dragged on too long.

The best "intentionally bad" thing I've ever seen is still Garth Marenghi's Darkplace.

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Hogama posted:

A Joke by Ingmar Bergman was art.

I'm also a fan of the Good Natured Brawling skit.

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Another one I've always loved, just for sheer absurdity:

Aaron Spelling's house.

"I feel so insignificant."

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Failson posted:

Also I visited an air museum Saturday. They had an F-104. So I had to watch High School Big Shot when I got home.

... No wait, The Starfighters.
I'd say "bullet dodged," but... well... The Starfighters. At least it has the United Servo Academy Chorus.

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

As far as introductory episodes, what about The Pumaman?

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Also Edward Platt (the chief from Get Smart)
Dean Devlin (future writer/producer of Independence Day, Notzilla, and Stargate)
And Touch Mike Connors

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Sydney Bottocks posted:

and of course almost all the cast from Operation Double 007 (Bernard "M" Lee, Lois "Moneypenny" Maxwell, Adolfo "Largo" Celi, and Daniela "love interest in From Russia With Love" Bianchi).
I wonder how much the casting agent's job was just saying "Hey, wanna spend a week in Italy?"

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Manos: Hands of Fate - A film by David Lynch

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

I'm pretty sure the 90's Gamera trilogy and Gamera the Brave are already what the 60's movies were trying to be.

I love Gamera the Brave because it takes the "Gamera is a friend to all children" theme of the original series straight to its logical conclusion: Gamera as E.T.

Keromaru5 fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Nov 16, 2018

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

*Looks up Hobgoblins on IMDB*

Um...

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

In Mac & Me, Gypsy as Grimace completely broke me. I hardly heard a word in the rest of the sketch from how hard I was laughing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

I had the same reaction about Graham Greene. I really want to see him star in a different, better movie.
Well, he got nominated for an Oscar for his part in Dances With Wolves. My roommate also recognized him from an episode of Riverdale.

I missed his name in the credits, though, so I was wondering for a while why everybody was talking about the author of The Sound and the Fury.