Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
I've been watching episodes at random by asking my girlfriend to "Pick a number 1-10", and then a number within the episodes of the season.

Last night was The Brain That Wouldn't Die, which was very fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

MST3k Facebook posted:

20 Classic MST3K episodes are coming to Netflix tomorrow! These should tide you over until the new season debuts on the 14th :)

• Catalina Caper
• Eegah!
• Future War
• The Giant Gila Monster
• Hercules Against the Moon Men
• Horrors of Spider Island
• I Accuse My Parents
• Jack Frost
• Laserblast
• "Manos" The Hands of Fate
• Merlin’s Shop of Mystical Wonders
• Pod People
• Puma Man
• Santa Claus Conquers the Martians
• Sidehackers
• Space Mutiny
• Teenagers from Outer Space
• Time Chasers
• Werewolf
• Zombie Nightmare

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Okay okay okay. I'll leave the Bronx.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
My first MST3k experience was the monkey story from Merlin's Shop, and I had no loving idea what was happening. My first complete viewing was Boggy Creek II, which blew my mind. I also loved Bigfoot stories at the time.

It was such a weird experience finding this amazing show on Sci-Fi, building a Saturday morning routine with it, and then three weeks into the routine, they messed with the schedule and I couldn't find the show anymore.

HMS Beagle posted:

I've got Catalina Caper on DVD and it's one of my favorite Joel episodes. Tom'a song is so great.

Catalina Caper is an all-time great. I just...love it... Creepy girl, coked out Little Richard, cartoon opening credits, hamfisted slapstick because seasickness is whacky!, a beach movie without a beach, an art heist...It's a fun movie on it's own, and it's not often that they riff on a straightforward comedy (which is a shame, terrible comedies are ripe with material). I didn't know it was a hard find, since it was in the Vol. 1 DVD.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I love Patton's semi-Eraserhead hair.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I wouldn't. Eraserhead is a masterpiece, immune to the remake virus.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

The Ape of Naples posted:

What if they remade it with a female lead?

Then it would be Inland Empire.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
The nudity in the trailer literally is censored. Tom Servo is floating over the censor bars. They've done it before with Cinematic Titanic as well.

I had a friend over recently who saw Hercules vs. The Moon Men in my queue and asked "What's that?". I quickly turned it on.

He did not like it, despite two or three deep guttural laughs.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Alehkhs posted:

Tom Servo isn't censoring anything in that clip. He's trying to peek over the film's conveniently-placed prop. See also: Crow trying to peek under it.

Oh that's even better.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

HannibalBarca posted:

Maltin actually liked Gorgo, which, hey so did I, but I'm a sucker for giant monster movies.

A lot of people like Gorgo. Edgar Wright keeps talking about remaking it (and using a rubber suit for the monster)

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I have grown to hate the Hercules episodes. They aren't very funny, and they legitimately put me to sleep as well. I don't know why they put up Vs. the Moon Men when there are so many better episodes Netflix could have chosen.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

lenoon posted:

I find skydivers incredibly boring, even the riffs can't save the absolutely non existent plot.

I used to love Skydivers. I haven't watched it in a few years, though.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Arist posted:

I had never seen a full Joel episode before yesterday, so I decided to start with Mitchell, and was a little disappointed by how much of it was just pop culture references (particularly riffs that were just shouting the name of a reference), especially ones that are now incredibly outdated. As a comparison, I decided to watch one of my favorite episodes, Werewolf, and while there's still some of it, the references are generally a lot more accessible. Kind of a bummer.

I think that this is also the natural evolution of pop culture. More recent episodes have more recent jokes and references to pull from.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
The child bride ending to Manos makes it all the more bizarre, especially since she looks like she's on the spectrum.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

ringu0 posted:

What a welcome update. I am definitely going to order Netflix streaming, if only for a month. Is there any other Netflix Originals I should check out? I'm already planning to see Jessica Jones and Sense8

Love and Bojack Horseman and Stranger Things are essential.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

DivisionPost posted:

Your mileage may vary with Love (I dig it too). BoJack Horseman takes a while to rev up but I'm evangelical about it (it's my avatar, though I borrowed the text from The Last Boy Scout). Word of warning, though: if you suffer from depression, poo poo might get a little too real. Stranger Things is a popcorn thriller that borrows liberally from Stephen King and Steven Spielberg. It ranges from "pretty cool" to "amazing," depending on who you ask. Don't overestimate it, but don't write it off either.

I also recommend Easy if you're into the whole mumblecore thing, and Sense8 if you want to see something different and bugfuck crazy, though you should give it until episode 4 before you make up your mind.

The biggest thing about Bojack is, if you suffer from depression, it gets really rough, BUT it has an amazing payoff in the last episode of Season 2 for the depressed audience.

Bojack is really funny. It captures many many types of humor well

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I really like the new voices, but I'm very distracted by the reflective surface they used as the background for the FB video.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I feel bad for Baron Vaughn. He's a much stronger comedian than the guy doing Crow's voice and fans just keep making GBS threads on him more than any other aspect of the reboot just because he wasn't born with deeper vocal chords.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Bicyclops posted:

Or because his puppet got more flexible arms

Seriously, who the gently caress cares? Why are people bitching about more articulate puppets? No one's upset that Crow's arms move now.

It's weird that fans seem to only complain about the puppet who's puppeteer is the show's first black person, and I don't want to think they're related...

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

The Ape of Naples posted:

I get this and I'm sure there's some truth to it but to play Devil's Advocate (more like Angel's Advocate) I think it partially has to do with Tom being the most consistent character in MST3k. Kevin has been Tom from season 2(?) and all through when MST3k was on cable. And I think Kevin has a harder voice to copy and he was known for his voice and singing. So I can understand that there might be more scrutiny of Tom. Though I'm sure on some level it's the puppet who's puppeteer is the show's first black person...

I agree, it's mainly the Kevin legacy defining the character, and then the fact that original fans of the show are so set in their opinions that they were always going to be critical, but the spoiler'd stuff is still a lingering afterthought that's concerning and hard for me to ignore, since no one seems to be bitching about the Crow changes or Gypsy changes.

I try to think the best of people, though, even if they're being sperg-lords over plastic robot puppets. It's just annoying since Baron is arguably the 2nd best part of the reboot for me.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

PostNouveau posted:

As an aside, the voice actors aren't doing the puppeteering. I can't find the article I read that talked about it, but they're using some technique where they kinda follow along with the puppeteers' movements from offscreen.

EDIT: Oh here it is, I was a bit off. They do control the mouths, but overall puppeteering is now a team effort:

http://nerdist.com/mystery-science-theater-3000-jonah-ray-baron-vaughn-hampton-yount-mst3k/

That's fantastic. I've always been fascinated with the actual process of filming the show.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
The Horrors of Spider Island is great. I love the opening skit, Crow's really funny in it.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I'm bummed that it's not releasing midnight EST, but I guess I get to wake up to a new MST3k episode just like I did when I was a kid. :gbsmith:

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Compendium posted:

Pacific Time finally serves me well and I have no work tomorrow, I'm gonna watch at least two eps.

How does that serve you well? If it were midnight EST you'd get it hours earlier.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Compendium posted:

If it was at 9, I'd watch it at 9.

Point is, I stay up late enough that I don't have an issue about watching at midnight. Brings me back to when I binge watched a bunch of episodes during my undergrad while staying up late to finish oil painting assignments.

Oh poo poo, I love to watch MST3k while I paint! I use acrylics, though.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I love the Skeleton Crew.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Cry Wilderness is now one of my favorite episodes and also one of my favorite movies the show's ever done. Obvious comment, but it'd make a great double feature with Boggy Creek II.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
The cast of MST3k is on today's episode of Comedy Bang Bang podcast, for those interested.

I watched Avalanche and The Beast of Hollow Mountain last night. Both were good episodes, but Beast of Hollow Mountain is such a slog of a movie, holy poo poo.

Glad to see the joke delivery slowing down and hitting a strong groove (especially in Avalanche), but thinking back, a lot of the rapid-fire jokes of Reptilicus were to make fun of the energetic editing of that movie, which I think really worked.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Wait, there's a new MST3k live tour starting in June?

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Honestly, they'll announce a renewal for another season in a few weeks at most if it's happening. For context, Love got renewed 3 days after launch, Bojack Horseman got renewed 2 days BEFORE it launched. If people keep watching, it'll happen.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Crazy Ferret posted:

There is no way to find out what ratings/views certain things get on netflix is there? I legit curious to see how well MST3K is doing cause I'm surprised by the media coverage I've seen. The reviews for this show have all been very positive from what I've seen that is.

No, they keep it hidden.

According to that CBB ep, each episode actually cost $350k to make

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

tvgm2 posted:

Anyone else have the music from commercial breaks stuck in their head?

Yes yes yes yes yes. And I love some of their little jigs as they play. That trumpet player's got moves.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

LabyaMynora posted:

I was looking for it on day one (Friday), and it was the featured thing for the day. However, I think as of Saturday the featured spot was replaced with the new Adam Sandler "Sandy Wexler" or whatever thing.

Should note that I also was watching some of the old ones leading up to the release, so Netflix may have matched it to me for that (even though I'm skeptical that Netflix really matches much based on what you watch anymore. It always seems to be what THEY are looking to promote. For example, I have no interest in, nor have I ever watched anything with Adam Sandler in it on Netflix.)

This was both on the Comcast cable box app and the PS4 btw.

As for making it separate from old MST3K, I think they kind of have to for multiple reasons involving different production studios as separate legal identities. I would worry it would kind of get lost if they grouped it with the old episodes, anyway.

It would not be good for the new show or Netflix to have linked them together only for new viewers to tune into a "new" show that looked like it was straight out of the 90's or early 2000's.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

HannibalBarca posted:

maybe my brain has just been warped by a decade of deliberately watching bad movies, but Time Travelers seems like it would be fine on its own terms.

Did you even see the "keyboard solo" scene?

So far, I'd only watch Cry Wilderness on it's own terms. I watched Starcrash on it's own terms when it was on Netflix a few years ago, and it was great.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Patton Oswalt is also one of the few comedians from his generation that's pretty much set on money for doing projects he believed in, and now only does projects that he finds interesting, believes in, or allows him to work with friends.

Like Adam Sandler, but without selling out or allowing their quality to decline.

Oswalt's just a great guy, from everything I've ever heard about him.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

I loved Joel in this skit

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Pakled posted:

I think the makers of Cry Wilderness just had a whole bunch of footage of woodland animals from the chopping block of a nature documentary and decided to write a movie around it.

Joel said on CBB that the popular theory is they had a petting zoo / wildlife refuge.

Panic Restaurant posted:

Can I just say how much I appreciated the fact that they noticed in Cry Wilderness that the eagle wasn't an indigenous species and made a riff about it? I spent half the movie trying to identify that thing. I think it's an African Fish Eagle?

That had me rolling as well.

That and all of Crow's "Bang!"s

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Ubiquitous_ posted:

I loved the riff they made on Paul and writing Corinthians. I knew it was going to be a good episode from there.

Mine was when Jonah steadied the Bigfoot "statue" from moving.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
In case you missed it, MST3k does Stranger Things

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I'd honestly be happier if they decided to do shorts in the "off season", so while they're working on the 13-14 full movie episodes, we can get 3-6 shorts to watch 6 months after the main season launches. (similar to the Bojack Christmas special). The streaming model's perfect for it.

New seasons in spring, new shorts in fall. Hell, do it for Turkey Day.