Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

DrVenkman posted:

I like that they recognise the guy from TIME TRAVELLERS when he shows up in AVALANCHE.

AVALANCHE question: What the gently caress happens to Robert Forster in that movie. He's the guy in every disaster movie who no one will listen to and then as soon as the avalanche hits the vanishes from the movie. And then Rock Hudson, who's an rear end in a top hat, suddenly turns into the hero.

Was he a hero? He lost the girl whom he emotionally abused in the past after constantly assaulting her, lost his alcoholic mother, lost his business investment(s), and then had to admit he was an rear end in a top hat in the end. When was he called a hero?

And Forster showed up at the end to wish Mia Farrow good luck in her future without pressuring her into anything romantic. Pretty nice guy, considering what abuse her character's been through

edit:

DrVenkman posted:

Also, Mia Farrow is remarkably bad in that movie.

Her acting is bad and her hair is worse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

muscles like this! posted:

It was really confusing in Avalanche how the guy bringing up all the problems re: the development and potential avalanches is just some random photographer who doesn't even live there full time.

With snowballs!

Also, you just reminded me of one of my favorite jokes: Tilda Swinton/ Llama picture.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Gavok posted:

My favorite weird moment from Cry Wilderness is when the villain shares one of this knowing "Bigfoot exists and I'm going to kill him" looks at the kid to end a scene, but they take way too long to cut and he just sits there, leering at the boy in the most uncomfortable way.

It reminds me of the shop owner in Troll 2 who in real life was crazy and wanted to hurt the child actor.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Not Operator posted:

Someone hummed the Zelda puzzle solved tune when they used dynamite in Avalanche and it was perfect.

That was Tom Servo.

First episode had not one, but TWO They Might Be Giants references, which was a high mark for me.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Junkie Disease posted:

I thought I was the only one that saw that trainwreck of a George C Scott movie.

No, the band They Might Be Giants. They reference two songs.

The band did get the name from the movie, but because they liked the sound, not the movie.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Crave's "Nine Things You Need To Know about the new season of MST3k"

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
There are two types of fans I've written off

- The "I love MST3k but hate the new season" fan

-The "I love MST3k but refuse to watch the new season, as it might tarnish my love" fan.

Both are useless to this world.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Most of the modern cast openly (and legally) smoke weed, and have for various shows and podcasts. Baron and Jonah have both been on Getting Doug with High (but Jonah absolutely did not handle it well).

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Bruceski posted:

There's no wrong way to enjoy an MST3K episode. Except for that review a few posts back.

My only real complaint about the new series is that a good chunk of the intermediary skits feel VERY rushed. Ever done that improv thing where you do a scene, and then need to do it again in half the time so you're stepping on lines and falling over each other? They feel like that.

Joel said if/when they do season 2, they're going to relax the pace. He wanted this season to be about the movies so people can just get in and enjoy. He says Season 2/12 will talk more about how the puppets got back on the show instead of with Mike, more moments with Gypsy as a character, and he says that they're looking into doing episodes of just shorts in an off-season kinda way.

The idea is to make the show as approachable as possible while the old fans get acclimated to the changes and the new fans get acclimated to the show in general, season 2/12 they'll try a few new things.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
They hired a temp by the name of Mike,
Just a regular joe they didn't like
Their experiment needed a good test case
So they conk'd him on the noggin' and they shot him into spaa-aaaaace.

Mike was my first host.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

The Ape of Naples posted:

To add to the Doom stuff there was one episode where the satellite was going to be takeover by aliens and they used some Doom sound effects. I think it's the one where Tom gets a face hugger.

As far as Lowtax goes I think he's supposed to work on an upcoming Rifftrax.

I hope not. His work on Troll 2 was bad.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Jose Oquendo posted:

I think he's still salty from getting blown off by Trace Beaulieu so he's mad at all of them.

I get mad at people more talented than me too.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

HannibalBarca posted:

maybe I'm just dead inside but the Neil Patrick Harris music number in Avalanche was a swing and a miss for me :shrug:

I liked the concept/joke but it really was just too drat long, especially since every other skit feels less than a minute.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I was thinking about the theme song, and I really like Felicia Day's part. Turning the song into a duet with a soft light female voice is great.

Tsietisin posted:

2. The robots don't have titles during the roll call.

Introducing the bots as silhouettes is actually really clever, since that's how we see them 90% of the time

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

kalensc posted:

I haven't had much time to follow the new season, but I'm hoping to sneak in another ep tonight.

If my faves from the Mike era are the sci-fi and "action" episodes with standout sidekicks/villains (Space Mutiny, Time Chasers, Operation Double 007, Final Sacrifice, etc), which one from the new set will most likely hit similar beats?

I'll do them in order eventually, but tonight i just need something that hits the spot.

Cry Wilderness is must-watch, but Starcrash is exactly what you want, every character is an attempt at being as iconic as Star Wars and failing miserably .

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Rifftrax Reefer Madness was great, but the Grass short that was paired with it is must-see

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

BJPaskoff posted:

It's supposed to be refills of the liquid movie.

Can we add this to the OP or even the thread title by now?

Yes, please.

I thought she was dropping off a cooler with snacks or, more likely, props for the bots to play with

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Junkie Disease posted:

Jack black was likely too high to show up and pilot the thing on the postcard as captain beefheart

Nah, Jack Black can't smoke weed anymore, he turns into a terrified lunatic.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Unpopular opinion: I thought Starcrash was a solid episode, and the Christmas film was so dour that the jokes never elevated it over a C.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Funkos are stupid and worthless but Season 12 is smart and priceless

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Do we have any idea when Season 12 is airing?

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Oh you fuckers.

:sigh: I'm just...ready for some football...

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
It was a last minute decision, but it looks like I'll be meeting Trace and Frank tonight at the theater as they riff The Choppers.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Didn't last year's season drop at the end of September, though?

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Diabolik900 posted:

No, last season came out in April.

Cool, thanks.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Ah man, I think I'm gonna try and rewatch all of Season 11 before the new one launches. I loved Avalanche and Cry Wilderness

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

luxury handset posted:

buying up the north pole just so you can evict santa is a super dick move. what are you going to do with the land afterwards? open an applebees?

turns out the baby lawyer man was a pioneer of children's television and children's education. he wrote the book on which the film was based

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hlzodg63lqw

I just like that the North Pole is in walking distance from wherever that town is.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Mantis42 posted:

The MST3K movie is the best introduction to the series imo.

Weird way to spell Merlin's Mystical Shop of Wonders

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Failson posted:

Underdog pick of Killer Shrews for an introduction. Great short, dumb, but perfectly riffable movie.

Automatic pilot can't play Dixieland jazz on them banjos like I can!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Sorry if this has been asked recently/too often. Any news or rumors about the next season?